Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I don't see how Sonic X Sonic fares any better in such areas than Boom Sonic. X Sonic was essentially the Ace of the team. He was invincible, always knew the right thing to say and never made errors (at least not ones anyone but the straw men of the cartoon called him out on). He was a bit mischievous, but he wasn't much of a child or even that hyperactive. In fact he was even more solitary and idle than Boom Sonic, usually just turning off until a dilemma appeared. He was almost little more than a plot device. At least Boom Sonic is flawed. He likes joining in on the fun and games a lot more and can get rather egotistical and competitive. Whenever he doesn't have enough to do, he's shown to get rather edgy and fussy. I admit I prefer that springy persona he has in the games, but I think Boom Sonic is still a step up from X Sonic. He's just needs to be in a more actionized environment more often.

I have to say the same about Tails really. While he got SOME exposure compared to Sonic in X, it didn't compensate for his fairly dull personality. Boom Tails is a lot more vibrant. He acts like a child and his gadgetry sometimes acts as a motivation and sometimes a flaw in his character.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

X Sonic was mainly a side character in a show with his name in the title, if anything.

Honestly, they both have their own appeals, but in some cases I'll take one or the other - X for action, Boom for comedy. Tho, I'd rather go the Ratchet and Clank route that mixes the two.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand Metal Sonic's motivation for betraying Eggman in Sonic Heroes. I mean, yes, Metal Sonic's ultimate goal is to destroy Sonic, but Eggman wants that too. There was never really any indication that Metal Sonic resented his creator (or indeed, any interaction between the two characters at all prior to or during the game), so it just feels completely out of left field.

I'm not opposed to robots betraying Eggman on principle, despite my obvious favoritism toward the Doc, but you have to at least justify it in some way. In my opinion, Sonic Heroes failed to do this.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't understand Metal Sonic's motivation for betraying Eggman in Sonic Heroes. I mean, yes, Metal Sonic's ultimate goal is to destroy Sonic, but Eggman wants that too. There was never really any indication that Metal Sonic resented his creator (or indeed, any interaction between the two characters at all prior to or during the game), so it just feels completely out of left field.

I'm not opposed to robots betraying Eggman on principle, despite my obvious favoritism toward the Doc, but you have to at least justify it in some way. In my opinion, Sonic Heroes failed to do this.

I don't know where it was from, but I think it was implied an upgrade Eggman gave to Metal caused his AI to go out of control and overtake the doc, hence why Eggman had to reprogram him post-Sonic Heroes. I don't know the source tho.

Yeah, I always personally figured that would have been something that should have occurred near the end of the series rather than where it was, like a part of an arc or something.

A unpopular opinion but if I want to chose who should have a chance for a game (who's not Sonic)... I would say Silver. I want to see this character again and he's on my top 5 list of favorite characters.

I think there's poetental for a relationship with Sonic like a mentor. Sonic can inspire him to be a great hero. The way I see it? Silver wants to be like Sonic in the future. He wants to be brave and strong like but he's not. Sonic can say that theres no box for a hero, just be yourself. I dont know about you but I want to see this happen!

(Besides Sonic has done it before)

• Thumbs Up 1

I have my own little headcanon on this which is that Eggman reverse engineered Metal Sonic's copying powers from Emerl (various bits of evidence within Sonic Battle, specifically the Phis being collectively designated E-121, Rouge name dropping Omega, and Shadow appearing with memories intact, suggest that Eggman started working with Emerl sometime between Adventure and Heroes but just didn't get around to executing that particular plan until after Shadow) but didn't realize that the Gizoid's copying powers don't just replicate combat techniques but personality traits as well and thus didn't build in any failsafes against undesirable or conflicting traits. As a result whenever Eggman interacted with Metal or showed him recordings of Sonic and crew (so that he could duplicate their abilities) Metal would also copy their personalities. Sonic's cockiness and desire to defeat Eggman, Eggman's dreams of world domination and destroying Sonic, Shadow's goal to wipe out life on Earth and prove that he's the genuine article while Sonic is just a fake circa. SA2, and other conflicting traits copied from the rest of the cast created the perfect storm and resulted in the psychopathic, Sonic obsessed, megalomaniac with dreams of building a robot kingdom under his rule, that we saw in Heroes. Afterwards Eggman tried to remove the copy power and the copied data but Metal had taken precautions and stored a backup of the data in a black box and rigged so that attempting to remove it would cause Metal to self-destruct. Thus making it impossible to completely scrub the program from his system without it litteraly blowing up in Eggman's face and allowing the data to resurface once certain conditions are met as it did in Free Riders.

At least that's my explaination for it. Either way the bolded bit explains why he wouldn't team up with Eggman. They might both want to destroy Sonic but their endgames beyond that are mutually exclusive. Really it would make just a much sense for Metal to team up with Eggman to defeat Sonic as it would for him to team up with Sonic to defeat Eggman.

Edited by Bowbowis

Never thought I'd see anyone besides me prefer Sonic X over Sonic Boom. :P I've always thought Sonic X was a fun show.

I feel the same. I generally prefer Sonic X over Boom too as I find it more enjoyable and fun. I suppose that's pretty much my unpopular opinion for the day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not alot is going to understand this part but for me I like Sonic X because not only was it fun and it was intresting but there was also a character I can relate to as if I was there with Sonic and some of the episodes with them made me cry. 

I don't know what type of opinion this would fall under, but I would seriously like Tails to come out of Sonic's shadow a bit more often. A child he may be, but with an IQ of about 300, I half-assumed he'd mature a little faster than what I'm seeing...

I noticed that Metal's betrayal seemed kinda pragmatic compared to some others. He didn't swat Eggman like a fly just to show who was in control like Chaos or Dark Gaia. Sure he left Eggman in a room, but it served no torturous or humiliating purpose. If he wanted to deceive Sonic, the real Eggman couldn't intervene. It's like Metal had gained the logic that Eggman was useless at defeating Sonic so he would be better off making his own scheme with Eggman as far away from it as possible.

I kinda wish they hadn't given him that arrogant human like persona as it would have supported this method of him running on cold logic. Not loyalty or devotion to the doctor himself. He programmed him to beat Sonic and now he'll do it through any means possible. ANY MEANS.

Edited by E-122-Psi

One popular opinion that I don't like >>> "Knuckles is the stoic guardian of the Master Emerald, and should always remain on Angel Island, instead of hanging out with Sonic and his friends".

That's so lame and played-out, and it really limits his character, I think. Angel Island hasn't been relevant for almost 15 years now. I'd much prefer it if he was a world-traveling treasure hunter (much like his OVA counterpart), and just so happens to be extremely knowledgeable on all matters related to the Chaos Emeralds. Maybe he's hunting for treasure to find clues about the past Echidna civilization and his lineage?

I dunno. It would just be a lot better than him being the block-headed, gullible guard-dog that fans always think he should be.

• Thumbs Up 2

One popular opinion that I don't like >>> "Knuckles is the stoic guardian of the Master Emerald, and should always remain on Angel Island, instead of hanging out with Sonic and his friends".

That's so lame and played-out, and it really limits his character, I think. Angel Island hasn't been relevant for almost 15 years now. I'd much prefer it if he was a world-traveling treasure hunter (much like his OVA counterpart), and just so happens to be extremely knowledgeable on all matters related to the Chaos Emeralds. Maybe he's hunting for treasure to find clues about the past Echidna civilization and his lineage?

I dunno. It would just be a lot better than him being the block-headed, gullible guard-dog that fans always think he should be.

Even as someone who doesn't really want Knuckles to ditch the Master Emerald and Angel Island, my main problem is that they just don't bother to even remotely explain how he can just abandon the Master Emerald willy-nilly. I would be completely down with the idea of Knuckles traveling and treasure-hunting if they bothered to explain how he can do so. It certainly couldn't be that impossibly hard. I wouldn't want him to completely abandon the Master Emerald, I'd still like that to be important, but I'd really enjoy seeing them explore his potential a little more and do other stuff as you described. It seems like lately, Sega just can't think of anything to do with Knuckles at all, and it's an amazing waste of a potentially great character, if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 5

Even as someone who doesn't really want Knuckles to ditch the Master Emerald and Angel Island, my main problem is that they just don't bother to even remotely explain how he can just abandon the Master Emerald willy-nilly. I would be completely down with the idea of Knuckles traveling and treasure-hunting if they bothered to explain how he can do so. It certainly couldn't be that impossibly hard. I wouldn't want him to completely abandon the Master Emerald, I'd still like that to be important, but I'd really enjoy seeing them explore his potential a little more and do other stuff as you described. It seems like lately, Sega just can't think of anything to do with Knuckles at all, and it's an amazing waste of a potentially great character, if you ask me.

Much could be resolved by simply establishing that maybe Tikal and Chaos are the ones who guard it now, and that any attempt to lift it by would-be thieves would incur the wrath of an angry water god. That'd be a pretty good reason for Knuckles to be confident enough to leave the thing on it's own, out in the open as it is now. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Much could be resolved by simply establishing that maybe Tikal and Chaos are the ones who guard it now, and that any attempt to lift it by would-be thieves would incur the wrath of an angry water god. That'd be a pretty good reason for Knuckles to be confident enough to leave the thing on it's own, out in the open as it is now. 

I'm pretty sure every Sonic fan who has thought about Knuckles' guardianship for any length of time has thought of this explanation. In fact, I was thinking of including it in my original post. I can't think of a particularly compelling reason not to use it, and it would certainly be much better than, you know, nothing. If Sega wants to go a different route, that's fine, but they seem content with absolutely nothing at all x_x

The events of SA2 contradict any idea that Tikal and Chaos are still in there, to be fair.

Runners suggests that there are multiple altars around, so he can move it to throw off thieves. Dunno how much weight you think that holds. 

The events of SA2 contradict any idea that Tikal and Chaos are still in there, to be fair.

Runners suggests that there are multiple altars around, so he can move it to throw off thieves. Dunno how much weight you think that holds. 

Heh, maybe he actually convinced them to do it after THAT incident? Ah, but then of course there would be Advance 3...

Interesting detail, though ultimately I don't think it really does hold much weight given that it'll likely never come up again.

Yes! As much as its cool hes a guardian, he shouldnt be taken out of Sonic's team and replaced just because of it. He's Sonic's friend and will always have a place on Team Sonic. It just wouldn't feel right.

I agree that Knuckles has so much potential and the fact that they haven't even mentioned the Master Emerald in a main game in over a decade is just criminal. I love Knuckles, I really do. I wish he would've stayed as big and as relevant as he was during the Sonic & Knuckles era. He's more than capable of doing things on his own, and he doesn't need Sonic's saving (unless everyone but Sonic gets frozen in white space-time). Thinking about it, I really hate how at the end of SA1 after his Island falls again he basically goes "my island is still falling what's wrong with these emeralds hmm I'll ask Sonic for advice."  I feel like if anyone was to have any sort of insight on what's happening in regards to the emeralds, it'd be Knuckles himself. The fact that he says he should go to Sonic about it really has always irked me. But regardless, with the Master Emerald being what it is, it's such a shame that it isn't used as a plot point more often. And yeah Knuckles being a world traveling treasure hunter is perfect in my book. I do wish they had him doing more. Maybe have he and Sonic tag team a final boss instead of Shadow, or Silver or whoever (if ever). It's not like he can't do it himself. I want the strong guy playable in a real game again with a cool story.

Super Knuckles is apparently non canon now, and that doesn't sit right with me at all. If there was a single character that deserves a super form it'd be him. Though my head canon tells me that Knuckles can tap into the Master Emerald's power kind of like his All Star move in All Star's Racing as a makeshift super form should he ever need it. Man, thinking about this, Knuckles having his own game with his own wild adventures on Angel Island with maybe him powering up into something like that for the final boss would be the coolest thing ever. I know it won't ever happen but I can dream.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, this subject has been of tense debate on here for several years that people should have gotten the point after all that time instead of deliberately strawmanning what people are actually saying about it in plain english.

No one is saying he should always remain on Angel Island instead of hanging out with Sonic's friends, but rather that Knuckles should stand out on his own and use him being the guardian of the Master Emerald and Angel Island to build him into a stronger standalone character over stuff that involves those things instead of just being Sonic and Tails' friend. That's practically what Bioware did with Sonic Chronicles - they didn't see the Master Emerald and Angel Island as limiting, they expanded them into something else, like what those people are actually saying.

It always amazes me how people complain about how limiting this, but they make no attempt to expand upon it and instead want to throw it away - meanwhile the people who make the opinion of him being the Master Emerald's guardian have done just that and made broader use of it.  So here's an idea to get people started: why not make Knuckles knowledgeable on matters related to the Master Emerald and use that? Angel Island hasn't been relevant for almost 15 years? Where here's another idea: make it relevant.

Knuckles being the guardian of the Master Emerald does not mean he can't be Sonic and Tails' friend, but that he still has his own thing separate from them. This isn't rocket science.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Runners suggests that there are multiple altars around, so he can move it to throw off thieves.

Radicool, that was actually a headcanon of mine :D

Okay, this subject has been of tense debate on here for several years that people should have gotten the point after all that time instead of deliberately strawmanning what people are actually saying about it in plain english.

No one is saying he should always remain on Angel Island instead of hanging out with Sonic's friends, but rather that Knuckles should stand out on his own and use him being the guardian of the Master Emerald and Angel Island to build him into a stronger standalone character over stuff that involves those things instead of just being Sonic and Tails' friend. That's practically what Bioware did with Sonic Chronicles - they didn't see the Master Emerald and Angel Island as limiting, they expanded them into something else, like what those people are actually saying.

It always amazes me how people complain about how limiting this, but they make no attempt to expand upon it and instead want to throw it away - meanwhile the people who make the opinion of him being the Master Emerald's guardian have done just that and made broader use of it.  So here's an idea to get people started: why not make Knuckles knowledgeable on matters related to the Master Emerald and use that? Angel Island hasn't been relevant for almost 15 years? Where here's another idea: make it relevant.

Knuckles being the guardian of the Master Emerald does not mean he can't be Sonic and Tails' friend, but that he still has his own thing separate from them. This isn't rocket science.

My, my. You're a grumpy little grape, ain'tcha? :P

The recent Archie Comics (which I absolutely love) have done exactly what you're implying, which is very good. But, here's the difference: not every issue has Knuckles in it. In fact, they usually put stories about him in Sonic Universe, to help expand him, while the main plot unfolds elsewhere.

The games, however, don't have that luxury and, instead, have to find a way to come up with a brand-new idea/story with Sonic at the center of it, and make that work. And, honestly, if Angel Island becomes "relevant" again, I think it would just upstage and/or distract from whatever new ideas would be brought to the table. That's what I mean by *limiting*. Dark Brotherhood's treatment of Angel Island and Knuckles totally worked, because Knuckles's ancestry and civilization was the whole centerpiece of the plot. It also, not surprisingly, completely upstaged Sonic (who had no real stake in the events that were transpiring, and was just kinda along for the ride). Because, whenever you make a story about Angel Island, Knuckles has to be the one who matters most in the plot, if you make him the guardian of the domain.

How many more times would they be able to reveal new stuff about Angel Island's past, or shatter the Master Emerald, before it got old? These games are developed design-wise first, with plot taking a backseat. How would they be able to explore new ideas, if Angel Island kept being brought back to act as a hub for all things relevant to the plot? I dunno.

If Knuckles remains the guardian of the Master Emerald, and operates under the rules by which the series has currently dictated, that would mean he'd be unable to leave the island. Now, if he's a globe-trotting treasure hunter, on a quest to unlock the secrets of the Master and Chaos Emeralds (like I suggested), I think that would allow for a lot more wiggle-room.

Maybe Knuckles should just have his own series of games? If any Sonic character truly deserved a spin-off, it'd be him. I know I'd definitely play 'em.

Yeah, I'm with ya, dude. I'm definitely pickin' up what you're puttin' down.

Edited by Chaos Controller

My, my. You're a grumpy little grape, ain'tcha? :P

Not really?

But you're only bringing trouble to yourself if you're trying to goad a reaction out of people taunting like that.

The recent Archie Comics (which I absolutely love) have done exactly what you're implying, which is very good. But, here's the difference: not every issue has Knuckles in it. In fact, they usually put stories about him in Sonic Universe, to help expand him, while the main plot unfolds elsewhere.

The games, however, don't have that luxury and, instead, have to find a way to come up with a brand-new idea/story with Sonic at the center of it, and make that work. And, honestly, if Angel Island becomes "relevant" again, I think it would just upstage and/or distract from whatever new ideas would be brought to the table. That's what I mean by *limiting*. Dark Brotherhood's treatment of Angel Island and Knuckles totally worked, because Knuckles's ancestry and civilization was the whole centerpiece of the plot. It also, not surprisingly, completely upstaged Sonic (who had no real stake in the events that were transpiring, and was just kinda along for the ride). Because, whenever you make a story about Angel Island, Knuckles has to be the one who matters most in the plot, if you make him the guardian of the domain.

How many more times would they be able to reveal new stuff about Angel Island's past, or shatter the Master Emerald, before it got old? These games are developed design-wise first, with plot taking a backseat. How would they be able to explore new ideas, if Angel Island kept being brought back and acting as the hub for all things relevant to the plot? I dunno.

If Knuckles remains the guardian of the Master Emerald, and operates under the rules by which the series has currently dictated, that would mean he'd be unable to leave the island. Now, if he's a globe-trotting treasure hunter, on a quest to unlock the secrets of the Master and Chaos Emeralds (like I suggested), I think that would allow for a lot more wiggle-room.

What, Angel Island can't be used to create those new ideas? Be a part of a greater whole of new ideas while Sonic is the main star? Dude, the only thing limiting here is your perception for treating these things as so black and white that there's no other way to make use of Knuckles, Angel Island, and the Master Emerald - if you can apply that much effort to ideas outside of that, it isn't too hard to do the same the other way and make Angel Island, and especially Knuckles and the Master Emerald (which is essentially a super large Chaos Emerald) grow into new things.

And what's wrong with Knuckles getting spotlight for all this? He hasn't gotten any good spotlight if his own for over a decade, so if there absolutely wasn't a way to make these other things grow, it'll still do Knuckles good using them anyway if to make him more relevant again. And if you don't want them getting old, you can put them and Knuckles on the backburner and let them rest and explore other things; or if you want Knuckles involved, you can do that by have something actively threaten these things (as in, the threat goes and straight up attacks him directly on his island, not have the threat 1000 miles away and not do anything to him just because it might be a threat) force him off the island to stop it. Again, not rocket science.

And they can explore new ideas and bringing Angel Island back as long as the can keep doing so like they've done for literally everything else. But these things only get old if you overdo them without any breaks inbetween them, as can Knuckles himself. In fact, I could ask you the same question: if Knuckles was a globe-trotting treasure-hunter, how many times would they have to keep coming up with stuff for him before it got old expecting him all the time? It's not like he's immune to getting stale.

The rules dictated by this series for Knuckles being a guardian doesn't mean that he has no room to grow. In fact, the Master Emerald alone actually gives him infinite room to grow given that it's more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds simply by negating or enhancing their power - try thinking of the stuff you could do with that before you write this stuff off as limiting.

And if for some miraculous reason you absolutely can't, I'm positive there's someone out there who can.

Not really?

But you're only bringing trouble to yourself if you're trying to goad a reaction out of people taunting like that.

Yeesh. It was a joke. Why so serious? :rolleyes:

What, Angel Island can't be used to create those new ideas? Be a part of a greater whole of new ideas while Sonic is the main star? Dude, the only thing limiting here is your perception for treating these things as so black and white that there's no other way to make use of Knuckles, Angel Island, and the Master Emerald - if you can apply that much effort to ideas outside of that, it isn't too hard to do the same the other way and make Angel Island, and especially Knuckles and the Master Emerald (which is essentially a super large Chaos Emerald) grow into new things.

And what's wrong with Knuckles getting spotlight for all this? He hasn't gotten any good spotlight if his own for over a decade, so if there absolutely wasn't a way to make these other things grow, it'll still do Knuckles good using them anyway if to make him more relevant again. And if you don't want them getting old, you can put them and Knuckles on the backburner and let them rest and explore other things; or if you want Knuckles involved, you can do that by have something actively threaten these things (as in, the threat goes and straight up attacks him directly on his island, not have the threat 1000 miles away and not do anything to him just because it might be a threat) force him off the island to stop it. Again, not rocket science.

And they can explore new ideas and bringing Angel Island back as long as the can keep doing so like they've done for literally everything else. But these things only get old if you overdo them without any breaks inbetween them, as can Knuckles himself. In fact, I could ask you the same question: if Knuckles was a globe-trotting treasure-hunter, how many times would they have to keep coming up with stuff for him before it got old expecting him all the time? It's not like he's immune to getting stale.

The rules dictated by this series for Knuckles being a guardian doesn't mean that he has no room to grow. In fact, the Master Emerald alone actually gives him infinite room to grow given that it's more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds simply by negating or enhancing their power - try thinking of the stuff you could do with that before you write this stuff off as limiting.

And if for some miraculous reason you absolutely can't, I'm positive there's someone out there who can.

He wouldn't always have to be looking for something. He certainly wasn't in the OVA. That's the beauty of it.
You know what would've been nice? Knuckles telling Sonic and Tails about the Gaia Temples in Sonic Unleashed, instead of dumb-old Professor Pickle. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

There's nothing wrong with Knuckles getting some spotlight. But, he should never upstage Sonic in his own game (at least, not in my opinion). Again, I kinda think Knuckles should get his own games. I think that would be awesome. I loved Knuckles's Chaotix.

Angel Island is awesome, and I'm not saying it should be abandoned. Quite the opposite, actually. But, it definitely needs to be worked into the world differently, at this point, I think. You say that I want to abandon it, like it hasn't already been in the actual games, for over a decade now. Generations was the first main series Sonic game to mention Angel Island since Sonic Adventure 2, if I'm recalling things correctly.

Again, the comics are doing it best right now, I think. Tikal, whose spirit is still within the Master Emerald, sends Knuckles out on missions that will help prevent global destruction.

Edited by Chaos Controller

The games, however, don't have that luxury and, instead, have to find a way to come up with a brand-new idea/story with Sonic at the center of it, and make that work. And, honestly, if Angel Island becomes "relevant" again, I think it would just upstage and/or distract from whatever new ideas would be brought to the table. That's what I mean by *limiting*. Dark Brotherhood's treatment of Angel Island and Knuckles totally worked, because Knuckle's ancestry and civilization was the whole centerpiece of the plot. It also, not surprisingly, completely upstaged Sonic (who had no real stake in the events that were transpiring, and was just kinda along for the ride).

That's an issue that's kind of inherent to Sonic's character. Sonic is a free-spirit, he lives in the moment, he has no job or responsibilities, nor is he tied down to any person or place. As the main character it works to his advantage since he can get involved in most any plot without any special reason to do so, but it also means that very rarely will have a personal stake in anything, and that makes him extremely susceptible to being eclipsed by those who do. Contrast that with characters like Knuckles, Shadow, and Silver who's roles are more rigidly defined, resulting in less freedom but also giving them a stronger identity, which allows them to form much deeper and more meaningful connections to the plot. They may be more limited in the ways they can get involved with the story but when the ball is in their court they can easily outshine Sonic.

To put in another way, Sonic, in terms of his role in the narrative, is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. His more fluid identity grants him more versatility but at the cost of making it difficult for him to engage with the plot on all but the most basic level. The phenomenon is perhaps best exemplified by X and '06 which saw the bulk of the narrative weight resting on the other characters, who had more connections to the story, while Sonic himself just kind of went around punching things as needed. Hell, even when he's the only playable character in Unleashed and Secret Rings he's still mostly acting as an enabler for Chip and Shahra's stories rather than actually driving the plot himself. 

Ultimately I can only think of two games where Sonic actually feels invested in the story. The first is Sonic Adventure 2, where his rivalry with Shadow and desire to clear his name actually do give him a personal stake in things and the second is Sonic and the Black Knight, which focused on Sonic's moral stake in the plot; the fate of Camelot may not affect him personally but he finds the villain's actions to be morally objectionable and is determined to set things right no matter what.

• Thumbs Up 8