Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

That might be the case for Scratch, Grounder, and Coconuts. But, Breezie and Professor Von Schlemmer were definitely not integrated into the fabric of the comic at the beginning. They're new additions.
Also, Knuckles's hat and Sara from the OVA were in the Archie continuity before, if I recall correctly.

They weren't, but because of the SSSSS Squad, they're also fair game and Ian decided to use them in order to give AoStH a bit more representation. The clause covers the entire show, not just the characters from before.

Knuckles' hat is one of those cases where it was basically overlooked before, especially when there's apparently some rights issues with the OVA as well (and Sonic X. They have a lot of rights issues. :/). Sara was in an alternate universe as said before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They weren't, but because of the SSSSS Squad, they're also fair game and Ian decided to use them in order to give AoStH a bit more representation. The clause covers the entire show, not just the characters from before.

Knuckles' hat is one of those cases where it was basically overlooked before, especially when there's apparently some rights issues with the OVA as well (and Sonic X. They have a lot of rights issues. :/). Sara was in an alternate universe as said before. 

Where are you getting this information from?

Popular Opinion: Worlds Unite wasn't the best, for multiple reasons. And is a shining example of that comics problems

Unpopular opinion: I like cream, why does everyone hate cream. She's cute and I would like there to be more comics where team dark and rose hang out.  

Pretty sure it was just a brief cameo...though the hat also appeared being worn by one of the Brotherhood of the Guardians (Hawking) and later by future Knuckles in 25 Years Later.

But yeah...I am really curious as to why they allowed new AoStH characters to be introduced.

You aren't alone

Popular Opinion: Worlds Unite wasn't the best, for multiple reasons. And is a shining example of that comics problems

Popular in what circles...? I loved Worlds Unite.

Worlds Unite had pacing problems and a bloated cast that had very little in the way of a balanced story. It was redominantly fight scenes, not to mention the ending which basically pulled a Sonic 06 and made the whole thing seem almost pointless.

It wasn't lacking in good parts, like giving Eggman a sort of heads up to leave Lost Hex alone until later, bringing characters like Gemerl out of the shadows, and having the Deadly Six earn their name given by what Master Zik makes Megaman do to himself, to name a few. But the entire package is a bit bloated given the other Sega and Capcom franchises being represented - great fanservices, but bad for a strong plot after what Worlds Collide gave us.

So.... any honest thoughts on this guy? image.thumb.png.552589e2ef765b52b5c26b12I for one never really hated Charmy, He has a cool design in my opinion and i'm probably the only one who thinks he has potential to be a genuinely good and funny character without coming across as annoying.

Edited by Dan-Dude
words missed
  • Thumbs Up 2

Worlds Unite had pacing problems and a bloated cast that had very little in the way of a balanced story. It was redominantly fight scenes, not to mention the ending which basically pulled a Sonic 06 and made the whole thing seem almost pointless.

It wasn't lacking in good parts, like giving Eggman a sort of heads up to leave Lost Hex alone until later, bringing characters like Gemerl out of the shadows, and having the Deadly Six earn their name given by what Master Zik makes Megaman do to himself, to name a few. But the entire package is a bit bloated given the other Sega and Capcom franchises being represented - great fanservices, but bad for a strong plot after what Worlds Collide gave us.

That's just the nature of huge comic book crossover events, though.

In comparison to a lot of the other ones I've read, like the Crisis sagas from DC Comics, Worlds Unite is definitely
on the higher end of the scale.

So.... any honest thoughts on this guy? image.thumb.png.552589e2ef765b52b5c26b12I for one never really hated Charmy, He has a cool design in my opinion and i'm probably the only one who thinks he has potential to be a genuinely good and funny character without coming across as annoying.

I really hope that's not actually an unpopular opinion. Charmy has a super cute and stylish design, a creative species choice, and potential for an interesting power/skill set. His hyper-enthusiastic personality can be endearing, and I think he has potential for some fun character dynamics with the rest of his team. I'm not going to say he can never be annoying, but his good traits far outweigh the bad, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unfortunately for you, that's a very unpopular opinion. Outside of Big, Charmy is one of the least popular characters. 

T'is a shame. While I definitely think his cohorts are better (they're actually eccentric, Charmy's par for the course for a six year old), I think he's still a bundle of fun. Being a brat contrasts with the other two recurring kid characters, and he's more than capable of holding his own, both with danger and with friends/guardians. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Popular in what circles...? I loved Worlds Unite.

Yo fam every site i went to , even circles that usually don't agree have been shitting on worlds unite. 

When I go to bumble king, the sega forums, this site, sonic retro and 4 chan,and a and regular comic sites, and not even comic related site, but video game general sites, and they also are like " yo this crossover is shit " something has happened.  I was surprised, I hated but I expected everyone else to like it. Its a megaman crossoever right? They would look over its flaws, and everyone would just make me look like a grump puss. Nah, they thought it was shit. 

And me personally I think its a good example of the comics problem. 

Charmy is OK. He's not high on my list but he's not a bad character. I love the design choice and bees are cool. My only issue is the generic personality. I don't find him annoying and he's made to be annoying but there's not alot to the character like the other child characters

Edited by Sonikku Miya
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's just the nature of huge comic book crossover events, though.
In comparison to a lot of the other ones I've read, like the Crisis sagas from DC Comics, Worlds Unite is definitely
on the higher end of the scale.

Yeah, i read comic books. It was still shit. 

The advantage that DC and Marvel has over this , is they have more books a more freedom. Archie had neither, i could go down a list. A list of why this was garbage. 

Not surprised Charmy's unpopular with the crowd, i just believe he deserves more attention much like his fellow comrades. I'd love to play as him more often in future games, doesn't obviously have to be a main game but can we at least have Charmy playable in spin off games?  

and maybe be voiced by a guy for once...

• Thumbs Up 1

My most unpopular opinion:

I like Chris from Sonic X.

/prepares for rocks being thrown

I never understood the hate for Chris, sure he was bland, unnecessary, and horribly clashed with the sonic gang in season 3. But you can't call him useless and unimportant since he contributed to the series and helped the team a lot times hate him or not. but otherwise he was basically a 2nd Tails.

Edited by Dan-Dude

Yeah, i read comic books. It was still shit. 

The advantage that DC and Marvel has over this , is they have more books a more freedom. Archie had neither, i could go down a list. A list of why this was garbage. 

Was it flawed? Definitely.
Was it garbage? I really don't think so. It was a fun and enjoyable read.

i never understood the hate for Chris, sure he was bland, unnecessary, and horribly clashed with the sonic gang in season 3. But you can't call him useless and unimportant since he contributed to the series and helped the team a lot times hate him or not. but otherwise he was basically a 2nd Tails.

People mostly hate him because of how much he upstaged Sonic, I think. That show really is more about about him, than Sonic, despite the show being called "Sonic X".

It's the same reason why people hate Shia LaBeouf's character in the Transformers movies, I think.

Edited by Chaos Controller

Yeah, I can see that.

He was focused on more than other characters that probably ...should've held more of the spotlight. I like him and i'm not gonna debate that.,Lol.

Was it flawed? Definitely.Was it garbage? I really don't think so. It was a fun and enjoyable read.

Beyond

Over promised and under delivered. In multiple ways. 

If you wish to discuss this further I don't mind talking about it. Just don't wish to start up something, and you might not wish to delve into it that deeply. 

Edited by Shadowlax

My most unpopular opinion:

I like Chris from Sonic X.

/prepares for rocks being thrown

Dude, I also love Chris from Sonic X!

Hes one character that reminded me of myself when I was that age and was played the Sonic games. Chris is a character who wants his family to be a family but they are never around. Yeah he has a butler, a maid and his grandfather and 3 best friends but they arent really his family except for his grandfather. Parent love and bond is that he lacks and longs for. A good male/female role model. Someone to look up to. I guess Tanaka can fit but still. When he was young, his parents made promises they never keep so it can be lonley for the 12 year old boy.

When Sonic came along, he brought fun to Chris life. He got to go on adventures, he got to figure out what he really wanted to be in his life, and he learned so much and enjoyed taking risks. Before then he has his futures decided for him or pushed for him to be into machines. Not only that but he got the role model he never had. Sonic is a guy who keeps his word and can be a really good role model and insperation. But Sonic is also a mentor to Chris as well. Sonic was someone who listened and cared about Mr Thorndyke and thats why he will stop for him. Friendship is freedom.

Speaking, Chris points out his own flaws like being too attached to Sonic and taking on everything witho. He feels really bad about taking Sonic away from his world and lets him go back even when Sonic says its okay. He calls himself out and challenges himself. And last hes one of the most bravest Sonic characters. Hes a human, but he lets himself get punched by Shadow of all people and he has put himself in danger even knocking him uncouncius. He went from being an everyday middle school anime child to being a brave young man.

All and all I really love this character and I never understand why hes so hated. His relationship with Sonic at first seems weird to me when I watched this show but when I watch it more and more and think about how me myseld veiws Sonic, it clicked. I understand why Chris feels strongly for Sonic. Sonic... is like a father-figure to him or lessor, a big brother. Sonic is protective, caring and even mentors the young boy and best of all he keeps all his promises to help him. Something his parents didnt do. Sonic meant alot to me as a kid just like he means alot to Thorndkye and I dont know... but this character clicks with me.

Thorndyke rules and Im not afraid to say it. Yeah hes a human character and he attaches himself to Sonic and can be annoying. But thats his quirks. Hes supposed to be a kid who is lonley and wants to help Sonic. Its up to you to decide if you like him or not.

Beyond

Over promised and under delivered. In multiple ways. 

If you wish to discuss this further I don't mind talking about it. Just don't wish to start up something, and you might not wish to delve into it that deeply. 

If you'd like to delve deeper into your dislike  of it, feel free. It just won't really change my mind on it. I fully understand that it was flawed and rather bloated. But, I still really enjoyed it. It was fun filler for me.

Edited by Chaos Controller

I think that for once I give my opinions about the subjects discussed here:

Charmy: Yes, Charmy can be annoying but I don't have any problems with him, especially because he's part of the Chaotix, which I really like (granted, Charmy is my least favourite of the three but that's not so bad considering that Espio and Vector are among my favourite characters).

Chris: sigh... With this I'm in the majority, I don't like him at all. Granted, I have neither watched Sonic X nor like that much but I can still give three major problems with him, 1. Sometimes he seems to be more important to the show than Sonic, at the point thatI'm surprised that 4Kids didn't give him a spin-off show 2. I get that idea behind him was that he was suppose to be like Sonic's link to human world and that's fine, but it just seems that beside that he was taking the roles that other characters had (especially Tails) and that is something I don't like about adaptations (or fanfics) in general, if you are going to put your OC in a role which would fit to some existing character, please consider before doing that and 3. I most of the time find him annoying. And not I'm a way that makes me think it's intentional like Charmy.

Comics: They have had quite variation of quality over the years but most of the time I have enjoyed what I have read. When it comes to crossover event, I haven't really read that much because when I got to the reboot I started to lose interest. It's hard to explain but I just feel that it has lost some of it's identity and try to be like he games, which I'm sure that some people like but personally I see that as a negative: if I want to experience the games, I play the games (I especially am annoyed about those restrictions which apparently SEGA has made, not only it goes against artistic freedom but it just seems to that they are intentionally trying to make the comics worse).

Chris: sigh... With this I'm in the majority, I don't like him at all. Granted, I have neither watched Sonic X nor like that much but I can still give three major problems with him, 1. Sometimes he seems to be more important to the show than Sonic, at the point thatI'm surprised that 4Kids didn't give him a spin-off show 2. I get that idea behind him was that he was suppose to be like Sonic's link to human world and that's fine, but it just seems that beside that he was taking the roles that other characters had (especially Tails) and that is something I don't like about adaptations (or fanfics) in general, if you are going to put your OC in a role which would fit to some existing character, please consider before doing that and 3. I most of the time find him annoying. And not I'm a way that makes me think it's intentional like Charmy.

You do realize that 4Kids didn't create Sonic X, and they were only responsible for localizing and dubbing it, right....?

• Thumbs Up 1

If you'd like to delve deeper into your dislike  of it, feel free. It just won't really change my mind on it. I fully understand that it was flawed and rather bloated. But, I still really enjoyed it. It was fun filler for me.

Ok so spoilers for worlds unite if you havent gone through it by now. 

I'm going to try and keep this short-ish. I think its paper worthy, I've considered writing a paper about it, I had the oppertunity. I think i think its that bad yes. It isn't the worst sonic comic thing by any means. The future arcs and besides scourge making every person he was around look good, the arc where he became scourge and the identity taking was just ... not very good. That said, those things, those things aren't really that worthy of that much conversation, you their terribleness can be clearly pointed at and was found out after the fact. 

This, this arc. This... event that transpired over the summer , this was extraordinary. Every once in a while you see a screw up, on the surface you are purely astounded right. You gathered all the materials to make this... perfect 5 star chilidog, and when the smoke cleared... it was a pile of poo. And you look at it, like... I got all these ingredients I got the best ingredients, the right ones, I followed all the instructions, this should be perfect. But alas, you got plate of fecal matter. So then you realize no food regardless of quality should result in a plate of fecal matter, and investigate. You then learn that everything you thought you were putting in here, was tainted and deluded from the start. You have in many ways been lied too, all these exotic ingredients weren't even what you wanted. 

And this plate of fecal matter, begins at shadow the hedgehog... exploding.  So you might be like " ok shadow is in his name, shadow fanboy he's just upset ". Eh, sonic died , knuckles died, they come back people like em and their popularity and position lets them come back. I read comic books non sonic comic books, I saw wolverine get torn in half death is in many ways meaningless in entertainment. For better or for worse some might argue in the specific case of shadow. But how shadow exploded... and why, and what happens after wards... is important. And is sort of this accidentally amazing ... representation of... the comics issues... and the games. Besides technical issues. Unless sonic games are exploding this days. 

Anyways, So shadow explodes, gone sat out. They goku heart diseased him out of the crossover. Some of you might be like " wait he doesn't do anything isn't he on the poster, this hype tease thing fighting zero. That is sort of disappointing " , yes. So I'm a sonic fan, I come into the crossover as  fan of sonic, but then a fan of most of the stuff crossover with. So i'm not just disappointing in the sonic part i'm disspaointed in all of it. I'm just starting with it.  So as far as the sonic side goes this is where we start getting into the tainted ingredients idea. So , i'm assuming this by the way, because if its the opposite... everyone who is handling sonic at archie or bumbleking... needs a stern talking to. That said I don't think its the opposite, what I think it is, is multiple people, including their editor apparently( " focus on the human element " and them saying IIIRC this was made  more for money than anything else.) , there were told things that restricted large amounts freedom, and just screwed everything over and were forced in a position that causes this ... trainwreck. I believe this, because the shadow exploding thing. < This is going to come up alot, its more than you think. 

So on the sonic side, my questions are of two. The first one, where are the video game characters? The second one, and the one most relevant to all parts of this comic is who is this for? So where are the video game characters? No... serously. Uh, we got sonic, tails, amy... and knuckles... kinda. But no one else. But instead... we get the freedom fighters... you know those... classic video game mainstays... only relevant from a long dead sonic cartoon... With no real reason even still being in this licensed comic whatsoever, besides a desire to keeps these characters going. These are who we got, oh yeah and big and cream. Those are the two you wanna see. but I'm made a mistake, right we did get video game characters, we got the deadly 6.And this part of the reason why i'm not quick to blame the sonic comic team on this, this I feel like the lack of... all the characters people actually want was due to what I think was a push from sega to push the deadly 6. I mean they made shadow explode for god sakes, if that isn't the most " get rid of your old gods this is the new cool bad guys now " thing I don't know what is. But much like their orginal appearance... it didn't amount for much and mean anything. 

We got sticks though, sticks was cute. I like sticks, she's scrappy. 

But lets get to everything else because this comic event, was much more than sonic... or not much more which was the problem. So in this event along with crossing over with megaman. And not only that a bunch of sega and capcom franchises. Right, so this should be an amazing super fantastic, thing where everyone gets to show their stuff? No... because someone thought that they were DC or Marvel and they were sonic archie, and sonic archie doesn't have a fleet of books they have on sale at one moments and books they can temporarily resurrect. They just have or had 3 sonic books and a megaman book. And a crossoever specific book. To fit... so many franchises. ... And they couldn't... at all. No one got to do anything, at all. All those charcters you saw , do barley anything at all. Mostly its sonic and megaman characters walking through very colorful backgrounds and occasionally a capcom or sega guy shows up, and not much else. but... nostalgia ... right?

But not right, because this... comic is for kids. Thats why... you have things like the deadly 6 instead of all the the rest of the crew and sticks right? To promote the new stuff for the kids. But then you have the... moxie.. moxie is what I will call it to bring out a character, who didn't actually exist in sonic, was a concept for sonic's girlfirend... in like sonic 1 as a member gun. Like thats the gun member we wanted to see. You know a characters you basically need to beyond a regular sonic fan... to know. Not rouge... or shadow... you know that other character the bat that would totally be concerned with shadow exploding. But nah shadow exploded. 

A long with that a bunch of characters from franchise... while enjoy... i don't think kids know at all. Like who was this for? Because these characters don't do enough to fanservice, heck even zero and X admit to being sidelined by the end of this thing. But these characters also don't do enough... to be advertisement for kids, a matter of fact a lot of the franchises featured... don't exist anymore... or in some cases aren't even big the west or just seem like out of the general audiences demo? Who... was this for? You just threw a bunch of properties and limited space and everything got cramped, and no one did much of anything. Heck they had to existed a comic or too try and get some action... still didn't work. So a bunch of mishandled properties the main demo for this book wont understand, and the older demo wont appreciate.. because they were mishandled. 

Who was this for?

So at the end of this, and this is why I believe that Archie, bumbleking isn't at least that much at fault, and kind of acknowledge that maybe it the best besides the comments they have already made to the tune of " this was more for money ". Sonic... calls shadow up , to see how he is doing. Sonic and multiple other sonic characters have seen many another characters demise, sonic saw a messed up shadow future before, shadow saw that future, so if that didn't warrant a call.. why did this. The cadence of this conversation isn't for sonic... it isn't for shadow. Its for you.. its for me, sonic basically looks at the camera, and asks the audience are they ok. IMO anyway, this weird thing seems like just an odd acknowledgement that they kinda know it wasn't the best. Shadow exploding was... sort of the retroactively a symbol for that. 

The funny thing is, is that i found shadow exploding hilarious. It just happened to be the loud noise that caused the avalanche. 

In this comic, all the people I wanted to do something did nothing. And all the characters from the comic I don't care about got the spotlight. X and Zero were sidelined. X and ZERO.  

-sighs-

This comic... this event has caused a disdain for Archie characters, that I never... had before. Now i'm in the  , they should mostly minimized, or shouldn't exist camp. I do not give a shit about them anymore. 

I tried to keep this super short, this is the super shorted version. 

Edited by Shadowlax

People mostly hate him because of how much he upstaged Sonic, I think. That show really is more about about him, than Sonic, despite the show being called "Sonic X".

It's the same reason why people hate Shia LaBeouf's character in the Transformers movies, I think.

The thing is, nearly EVERY character upstaged Sonic in X. You could place blame on Eggman, Amy and even Tails and Knuckles as much as Chris. Sonic was just diluted and robbed of his star appeal in that show.

Chris was a pretty dull character, but I never really loathed him outright. The depiction of the games characters bugged me more concerning that show.

There were far more detrimental cases of over utilised original characters in the franchise. Sally, Manic and Sonia and even Scratch and Grounder were bigger black holes to their respective media more than Chris was.

Seconded for Charmy as well.  Not a top favourite, but I find him humorous and likeable enough. Still he must have SOME popularity, enough people were in uproar over his 'brain damage' arc in the comics.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 1