Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Weird, could have sword I managed to get Sonic and co to do a very short wall run in Ocean Palace... meh, doesn't really matter.

Here's another popular opinion I disagree with. "The Werehog sucks."

I would think the werehog sucks less if everyone got a monster mash form, but as of currently its a lame excuse to not have knuckles in sonic unleashed. And 2, its being over used in the comic right now , " its popular with kids" is the excuse, but from my understanding... the main comics haven't been doing as hot as they were... so some weird train of logic here. 

Edited by Shadowlax

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would think the werehog sucks less if everyone got a monster mash form, but as of currently its a lame excuse to not have knuckles in sonic unleashed. And 2, its being over used in the comic right now , " its popular with kids" is the excuse, but from my understanding... the main comics haven't been doing as hot as they were... so some weird train of logic here. 

Really now? I'm having a hard time believing that cause, as of current, the Werehog has actually been making rather infrequent appearances in the comics.

Let's see here: Shattered World Crisis begins and the Werehog doesn't make a true appearance until the eighth issue. That's eight out of twelve months of not appearing in the adaptation of its own sticking game, where the Werehog was present from the very beginning, and that's despite Sonic getting afflicted with Dark Gaia's Energy and having a strong reaction to it before SWC even began. And then once the Werehog makes its rather long-awaited debut in that eighth issue, it makes prominent appearances in three more issues directly after, which is perfectly justified since the story in those three issues were strictly about dealing with the Werehog form. After those three issues of prominence, the Champions Arc happens, where the Werehog appears a grand total of TWICE, both in very small, rather negligible scenes (and the second appearances occurs after Champions pretty much ended). The Werehog then makes one more prominent appearance in StH 272 before SU 75 and World's Unite occurs, where the Werehog didn't make an appearance AT ALL, with it's own video game adaptation being paused for an ultimately mediocre and disappointing crossover that took up a huge chunk of time. Once WU finally ended, the Werehog finally makes another appearance in 276 and 278 but notably NOT 277. And you're saying the Werehog is overused?

And even if the Werehog WAS making a ton of appearances in the comic, well it's pretty freaking warranted since SWC is, again, the comic book adaptation of Unleashed: the Werehog's game and the only one it got to appear in! The Werehog, like it or not, was a unique feature to Unleashed and was fundamental to the game itself, given that the form was a result of the plot. It make sense for the Werehog to make plentiful appearances over the course of SWC and especially since SWC is the last ever appearance of the Werehog in official Sonic media. Once SWC is over, the Werehog will never appear again, so it would be ideal to give it as much appearances as possible before its permanent end. For reference sake, what if there was an adaptation of Colors going on and I said "The Wisps are being overused!" Even if that was genuinely the case, well, it's kinda warranted since Colors is the Wisps debut game and one they had a very fundamental part in given that their plight by Dr. Eggman is the plot of the game. How about in an SA1 adapt someone says "Gamma is getting too many appearances"? Though this argument is a bit more justified since Gamma didn't have much to do with the main plot of SA1 but given that SA1 is the only game where Gamma had any relevant appearances, giving him some extra page-time is kinda warranted unless the adaptation plans on sparing Gamma's life and allowing him continued appearances, which is very unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not fond of the werehog, I think he's bad for sonic. I may have over exaggerated his page time, but I don't think i am

Edited by Shadowlax

Unpopular opinion; sonic characters should always have centered mouths.

Because this

tumblr_inline_myngoplNYk1r8z4qq.png

is better than this

hqdefault.jpg

Sonic's mouth just disturbs me when it's not centered. I mean, it's not even connected to his throat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic would need a neck before he could have a throat

Really, you can't see Sonic's neck? It's where the two circles meet. jk

I know Sonic doesn't have a true neck or throat, it just bothers me. :P

The Boom series does it best, where Sonic's mouth can literally move to any side of his face

• Thumbs Up 1

I would think the werehog sucks less if everyone got a monster mash form, but as of currently its a lame excuse to not have knuckles in sonic unleashed.

Knuckles and the Werehog have very different gameplay and story functions. There is no reason to think they should be interchangeable just because they both have super strength.

On the topic of Sonic's mouth...I agree that it may be weird, disturbing and nonsensical if you think about it, but I still think the side mouth looks better. It makes him look "smirky" rather than "cutesy", I guess? I can see why some would dislike it, I definitely can, but I disagree x)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind the sidemouth when Sonic is actually smirking but I still think it looks really weird if his mouth is only ever on the side of his face.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't mind the sidemouth when Sonic is actually smirking but I still think it looks really weird if his mouth is only ever on the side of his face.

Yah, I'll grant that, but I'm used to it x)

Pretty much going to agree with Penthe. Strangely, I think Rise of Lyric did mouth animations the best. At least in terms of most of the characters, Cliff and Amy's mouth animations were terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles and the Werehog have very different gameplay and story functions. There is no reason to think they should be interchangeable just because they both have super strength.

On the topic of Sonic's mouth...I agree that it may be weird, disturbing and nonsensical if you think about it, but I still think the side mouth looks better. It makes him look "smirky" rather than "cutesy", I guess? I can see why some would dislike it, I definitely can, but I disagree x)

hes a big dumb thing with super stregnth and climbs up walls and likes to fight. I dunno man sounds, pretty familiar like some dude who dont like chuckling.

On story, he's monster inside complex thats supposed to be intimidating. And pittied because of the unnatural circumstances he came about. Hnm, also sounds familliar. Sounds like man who likes motorcycles, and hangs out bats.

Hmm also as if uh... Those two characters were supposed to be in the game. And they made a sonic form to trying consolidate two popular aspects of their two most popular non sonic characters. Because of complaints of friends ruining the games, these claims nowadays very much unfounded. Didn't stop bad games from being bad and didn't make the good ones sell, even the one with classic sonic in it. 

But my point isyeah uh... Its almost as if they were suppoused to be in it. And called sonic world adventure around the world. And they made shadow and knuckles sonic, and no one liked it. And then they found out the previous information and liked it less. Turns out folks like characters, and the idea of a modern sonic amd knuckles intrigued them.

But im just rambling.

hes a big dumb thing with super stregnth and climbs up walls and likes to fight. I dunno man sounds, pretty familiar like some dude who dont like chuckling.

On story, he's monster inside complex thats supposed to be intimidating. And pittied because of the unnatural circumstances he came about. Hnm, also sounds familliar. Sounds like man who likes motorcycles, and hangs out bats.

Hmm also as if uh... Those two characters were supposed to be in the game. And they made a sonic form to trying consolidate two popular aspects of their two most popular non sonic characters. Because of complaints of friends ruining the games, these claims nowadays very much unfounded. Didn't stop bad games from being bad and didn't make the good ones sell, even the one with classic sonic in it. 

But my point isyeah uh... Its almost as if they were suppoused to be in it. And called sonic world adventure around the world. And they made shadow and knuckles sonic, and no one liked it. And then they found out the previous information and liked it less. Turns out folks like characters, and the idea of a modern sonic amd knuckles intrigued them.

But im just rambling.

You're also completely wrong :V

You're treating the Werehog like an entirely different character when's literally just a burlier and furrier Sonic :\ unless you think Sonic is an enitirely different character as the Werehog.

• Thumbs Up 7

But im just rambling.

You're sounding ignorant as fuck, god damn. 

So they're both strong. Woah, nice. Werehog only climbs up like pins or whatever and ledges. It's not an innate ability. And I'm pretty sure Sonic himself "likes to fight" too. Knuckles has short arms, and can't stretch them out, ruining his entire style of gameplay. I don't ever remember Sonic being "pittied" as a Werehog. Tails doesn't seem too bothered, and Eggman isn't any more intimidated by this new form as he his Sonic's normal state. There was one scene where Amy hugged him and didn't recognize it was him, and he was visibly hurt by it. And you know what, that was a nice touching moment. We've never seen that side of Sonic before. But you're right he's just Shadow 2.0, totally Shadow 2.0.

It's one thing to not like his gameplay or not think it's fun or just flat out not liking the idea of Sonic turning into a furrier creature. But you can't straight up say things that aren't true.

• Thumbs Up 2

You're also completely wrong :V

You're treating the Werehog like an entirely different character when's literally just a burlier and furrier Sonic :\ unless you think Sonic is an enitirely different character as the Werehog.

Hmm , they combined two parts of characters that were supposed to be in the game and gave it to one character. Nah man, too far fetched that never happened. 

No oh wait, that happens all the time, in development before games comes out. And the idea of the werehog sections being knuckles instead of trying to make treasure hunting sections is totally valid and fine and probably what happened. 

You know this is super common right, you know this happens all the time in game development right? I'm not making up some mystical practice that never existed before, this practice and the reverse happen quite often. For example the devil may cry series, who in 4 gave dante's vergil's sword because they had little time to put extra content to put in that game, when special edition came around, they just put in vergil. It happens ... quite often. Character gets a weapon or a power that ussually regarded to someone else, because the idea of putting them in the game is disgarded. Its why ness and lucas in smash us pk star storm and myriad of other things

You're sounding ignorant as fuck, god damn. 

No I sound like I understand how game development works. 

" these two traits usually assigned to not sonic, are now on sonic, and the characters that they were apart of, were removed from the game during development "

maybe i'm being a little sassy, and you know what. I'm sorry. Sassyness uncalled for. but what I am going to say is, this happens all the time. Its probably what happened. " there werehog has stretchy arms" , you know... they could have just had knuckles just fighting with out stretchy arms before that. And along with the pins thing, those might have not even been there. It may have just been walls. They removed knuckles and charged some things to make him a bit unique but the idea of that character is still very much there. 

Its like you found a paper with a " 2", a ,"+" half of other " 2", a "=", and "4"  and you are going " nah man we don't know what happened, this common thing in game development. 

Edit: also they continue to explore that idea in the next game, they didn't stop doing it. Not the weird monster inside thing, but as far as powers go, giving him powers that would usually be assigned to other folks via aliens. And then they do it again. There is a clear developmental pattern. Because do it multiple times. Also you seem to be treating game development some thing set in stone. 

" the werehog has stretchy arms therefore it could have never been knuckles" 

There could have been a no stretch arms version before , also they could have wanted to give knuckles stretchy arms. Decided against it and changed to something else, its fairly common. 

Edited by Shadowlax

You are positing that around 40-60% of not one but two games with two different developers with a roughly one and a half to two-year time limit (because for all intents and purposes the 360/PS3 version is a different game from the Wii/PS2 version) started out life meaningfully with Knuckles or Shadow in the playable role of the Werehog. 

You are positing this is reasonable to have happened despite the fact that this never came out of Japan when this is the Sonic game where Sonic Team- not Sega, not western PR, but Sonic Team themselves have been the most open and honest in regards to discussing and sharing conceptual information about the game's development with the public.

You are ignoring Occam's Razor and positing that the director who is on record for vouching for the Werehog since the beginning and thus perhaps designed the game at the outset to have not just the Werehog, but a completely new voice actor in Japanese to have to hire, all of the animations, cutscenes, bosses, stage gimmicks, collectibles, and NPC dialogue exclusive to the Werehog from which came the day-and-night cycle, 11- minute theatrical short, official costume, marketing, and merchandise, decided to remove either Shadow and Knuckles from a physically playable role in the middle of development- thus shortening their schedule- for no discernible reason.

And your only proof of this is a single quote from a former American PR agent (which was made in a context concerning non-playable NPCs, funnily enough) that was never repeated by anyone relevant ever again and thus is likely to have been a mistake. The logic of this assertion is that it's just theoretically possible for it to have happened because "stuff changes in game development," like it's theoretically possible that Sonic actually started out as a vampire instead or for the day stages to instead have been sprawling open-world stages.

Yes, this is an ignorant proposition to be arguing given what we know. If either character was ever in the game, it was not as a Werehog surrogate.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 7

My unpopular/not sure opinion?

I think its OK to make fun of the Sonic series. For me its part to be open minded. Im not talking about just the flaws but everything else to. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved playing as the Werehog, you got decent speed and well done platforming with him but gods did I hate the fights... You could unlock tons of combos and special moves for use in those combats sections or just keep pressing the same button a million times like I did which while dumping all your points into the power stat. 

My unpopular/not sure opinion?

I think its OK to make fun of the Sonic series. For me its part to be open minded. Im not talking about just the flaws but everything else to. 

Well said.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree parkour needs built upon.

I agree Sonic should never twirl when skating again...

I disagree that the boost should return.

I disagree solo-Sonic should continue.

I agree we need a split 2D series and 3D series developed with no further titles merging the two.

I agree we need better stories.

I disagree that Sonic shouldn't have stories and/or that stories don't matter/belong in Sonic.

I disagree with Sonic being anything like/close to Mario.

• Thumbs Up 1