Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know of another that's unpopular. I'd really like to have the 4Kids cast back!

Besides Mr. Mike Pollock and Lisa Ortiz I didn't care for the 4Kids cast. They weren't terrible or anything like that (well, Knuckles' voice is another discussion), they just didn't seem like the characters to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides Mr. Mike Pollock and Lisa Ortiz I didn't care for the 4Kids cast. They weren't terrible or anything like that (well, Knuckles' voice is another discussion), they just didn't seem like the characters to me. 

I think it's because that was the active cast when I became a fan. It's the voices I know Sonic and friends as, know what I mean? For that, they'll always be my favorite. I think I would favor Ryan more if he had done more work as Sonic, because we heard a lot more of Jason than Ryan. He's still my second favorite though, it's always been a close call between those 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's because that was the active cast when I became a fan. It's the voices I know Sonic and friends as, know what I mean? For that, they'll always be my favorite. I think I would favor Ryan more if he had done more work as Sonic, because we heard a lot more of Jason than Ryan. He's still my second favorite though, it's always been a close call between those 2.

I grew up with Jaleel White as Sonic but I prefer Mr. Ryan, however, I know what you mean.

I think the reason I never liked Jason is because to me it always sounded like he was forcing the up beat attitude to the point were Sonic came off as sarcastic, even though he wasn't supposed to sound that way. That's just me though.

I honestly like Sonic 1 8-bit and Sonic Triple Trouble more than most modern Sonic games.

I know I'm late to the VA discussion but I hated Cindy's voice up until Boom where she finally improved her voice for Amy who sounded more like an actual girl than a Minnie Mouse wannabe.

I really hope she uses her Boom voice for SEGA Amy in the future and drops the Minnie Mouse act for good.

Anyway I enjoyed the 4kids cast, Most of them had great and fitting voices for the characters (Sonic, Shadow, Eggman etc) some obviously didn't. ( Vector, Cream )

I loved Jason as Sonic, sure he sounded pretty forced and awkward at first but as he improved, he's a really awesome voice actor who deserves more credit. I also think he's the best voice for Shadow as my favorite.

The Adventure cast was decent. They weren't perfect but the voices they did were pretty spot on. I'm not much of a fan of Ryan though, his voice captured Sonic's personality perfectly but I wish he kept the deeper tone he had in Adventure, the higher pitch in Adventure 2/Heroes doesn't really fit him.

The current cast is...meh. Don't get me wrong, They're all very talented actors and Roger does a great Sonic but I'm gonna have to say that the Studiopolis cast is my least favorite cast. They just sound so....generic there's just something about them that doesn't give off the impression of the character they're voicing.Most of them pretty much sounded like typical anime characters just but that's just me. They're still a good cast regardless since they captured their basic personalities pretty well.

Edited by Dan-Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1

Popular opinion I disagree with. "Ian Flynn is the best Sonic writer"

Flynn won't and never has surpassed the genius the wrote the script for Sonic the Movie in truly capturing what Sonic is really like.

I disagree that Comedy Chimp is a good character. I think he is the worst Sonic character ever created. He's basically just an ugly CGI skin for Bill Frieberger that steals way too much screentime. We need much more Perci on the show instead of Comedy Chimp, Dave, and Fastidious Beaver. Those three, I believe, are utterly horrendous characters. In fact, almost all Boom characters should be eaten alive. They're part of the reason I hate Boom in general.

I agree that the Deadly Six suck balls as well. 

I agree that Silver needs a game of his own.

• Thumbs Up 2

Triple Trouble was nicely polished, but it felt a bit clunkier than the previous 8 bit titles. It works a little better with a full screen through hacks or emulators, a shame an official Master System release wasn't made.

Probably REALLY unpopular, I don't think the extra characters in Sonic Adventure 1 should have been omitted or downplayed. If anything I think they should have developed on them more. Sonic's story matters most, but his was pretty much a complete game aside from the engine's unfinished details, 10 levels with lots of mini games and bosses, along with the story having main focus on him. It's probably for the best they focused on finishing his first and foremost in the rushed timeframe they had, but I still feel that the game would have been much better if they had managed to put the same effort into the rest of the cast. Gamma in particular I feel should have gotten more effort put into his mode since obviously he likely won't get a second chance. 2 or 3 more levels (along with more development of their current ones), a few unique mini games and maybe SLIGHTLY more involvement with the main story without taking it over or convoluting it.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of Sonic Triple Trouble, I have just a neutral-decent opinion of Sunset Park Zone, Act 3. I mean, the music for that boss course still holds up quite well, but the train boss itself was a bit of a pushover for my liking, to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 2

Since we're talking about the GG games, I personally don't find them all that interesting.

With the sole exception of Tails Adventure, every GG Sonic title was never really that great for me. I mean, I guess Triple Trouble is the better one and I kind of enjoy some levels like Robotnik Winter and such but I can't really say "Yeah, this is one of my favorite Sonic games!".

But maybe that's just me, after all I do have bad opinions like, Heroes, LW3DS and Shadow were pretty good and the like. So what do I know?

• Thumbs Up 1

The main four games were pretty decent, if not much on the Megadrive titles. I will admit getting excited whenever I see a hack or fan game trying to recreate Bridge or Jungle Zone in 16 bit.

I kinda liked Mean Bean Machine's Puzzle Mode, but other than that the 16 bit version is far superior in nearly every other way. There have been better variants of the Nazo Puyo mode anyway, ones you didn't have to keep restarting every time you made one error.

I will say however that Sonic Labyrinth, while not gripping, wasn't AWFUL. I could play it and be entertained for half an hour.

Well I'm not saying the GG games were crap, they're fine. But I wasn't very compelled by them, Labyrinth and Blast were definitely the weakest. The music in the main 4 are really good, I can definitely give it that.

But again, outside of Tails Adventure. I can't really say that they're great.

Again, it's just my thoughts.

I don't think the opinion that the GG games aren't that interesting is very unpopular at all, and I don't think it's unjustifiable either. I myself don't think they're spectacular or anything, I just think the better ones among them are pretty solid, fun games that succeed in mimicking, however imperfectly, some of the things I like about the Genesis titles. There are definitely some that are on the weak side, though, such as Sonic Blast.

Speaking of Sonic Triple Trouble, I have just a neutral-decent opinion of Sunset Park Zone, Act 3. I mean, the music for that boss course still holds up quite well, but the train boss itself was a bit of a pushover for my liking, to say the least.

Yeah...there's easy, and then there's too easy, even by the low standards of difficulty of that game's bosses.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 1 and Tails Adventure are a couple of my favorite Sonic games. 2 is good if you're either playing the MS version or have the GG version's layout/boss patterns memorized, but I'm not fond of the Sonic & Tails games due to their larger sprites and more sluggish physics. I actually don't get the praise for Triple Trouble because it plays a lot worse than the first two games, like an early 2000s fangame.

I'm pretty annoyed that Sega never released the first S&T game on the 3DS though, since the others are on there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I enjoyed a lot of early 2000s fangames when I was younger, maybe that explains it x)

I certainly prefer Lisa Ortiz to Cindy Robinson.

I feel like a lot of people do, to be honest with you.

Flynn won't and never has surpassed the genius the wrote the script for Sonic the Movie in truly capturing what Sonic is really like.

Are you talking about the OVA?

Speaking of, I have a generally neutral opinion of the Sonic OVA. With it, I really dig scenes like the fight with Metal Robotnik and the whole thing with Metal Sonic. However, it's still not something that I consider rewatching all that frequently and the characterization of some of the character like Sonic's pompousness and Eggman's weird thing for the teenage Sera just weirds me out.

Yeah, I'm going to say that the Sonic OVA is just "okay" at best. It's animated well enough, but some of the dialogue is weird and awkward, and like, everything with Sera kind of feels icky.

Regarding the GG games... if they have a master system version, play that instead, or you will be making 75% more leaps of faith, as it zooms the camera in. I find that I like Sonic 1 for the Master System more than the Genesis version. Sure it's not as speedy as what we're used to, but it's fun and challenging in the way that some NES platformers are. My only hangup is the slowdown in labyrinth zone.

Part of me disliked Ian Flynn's efforts to make the comics more game-like pre-reboot, such as making there only seven chaos emeralds and things like that. The reason why is not at all because I liked the fact that the comics' universe was different from the games, but because it felt like he was simply making it less obvious that the two continuities were so distinct and divergent, while their pasts, their foundations, remained the same. I mean, think about it. The old Archie continuity is one in which badniks were never powered by little animals, the Chaotix weren't any sort of detective agency, the Master Emerald didn't exist until quite recently, the events of many games didn't happen at all...I could go on. And even if you make it so now there are only seven chaos emeralds, that doesn't change the fact that there used to be thousands, which is still nothing like the games' version. It just feels like glossing over how different the two are, while the root issue is still there, and maybe it would be better to just make it more obvious how different it was by not trying to hide those radical instances of divergence. It doesn't really make it better to just not mention the past; in fact, it just feels sort of like ignoring the problem.

To be clear, I am definitely very mixed on this; I did actually appreciate his efforts a lot in some ways. This is an opinion I held more closely in the early days of me reading the comics. But at the same time, I simply could never be satisfied with these changes when the foundations of the comics' universe remained the same, as much as I respect his desire to not throw out the old stuff.

Man, just thinking about these things reminds me how utterly grateful I am for the reboot...

• Thumbs Up 2

Concerning Flynn, I think he's a lot more at home with the light hearted concepts than trying to be serious. Even when I disliked his pre reboot work I tended to like his stories for Sonic X and Boom. They weren't riveting depthful pieces of writing, but they had a valid amount of character and funny writing to them. In short he knew how to make the stories and characters fun. For his darker mainstream work, I dunno. It felt like he was trying a bit too hard to be taken seriously, not to mention he had to carry on from the stories and narrative that weren't his own. Even when he tried light hearted stuff in the main comic it fell flat a lot more than in the side comics, likely because it played more as one note comic relief than the actual story.

I think this is in part why the reboot was beneficial, it gave him an excuse to lean more into the whimsical side of things, even if he still suffers some of his standard issues. I think it also helps he's streamlined himself from tons of excess backstory and characters and worlds, meaning a lot less exposition and convolution is required.

Granted I am one who prefers whimsical, streamlined stories so this is incredibly biased, as has been pointed out several times before.

Edited by E-122-Psi

Are you talking about the OVA?

Finally, I can respond this this... stupid ad/java script heavy site, its killing my phone every time I access this place. 

Yes, I'm talking about the OVA. Granted its not a cinematic master piece but it came closer to being the best Sonic then anything else out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally, I can respond this this... stupid ad/java script heavy site, its killing my phone every time I access this place. 

Yes, I'm talking about the OVA. Granted its not a cinematic master piece but it came closer to being the best Sonic then anything else out there.

Eh, I actually thought Sonic was pretty awesome in Sonic X, but everyone has their own thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 2