Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Eh, I actually thought Sonic was pretty awesome in Sonic X, but everyone has their own thoughts.

It's a matter of opinion really, I liked Sonic X but there was just something about the Sonic in it that I didn't like. It may have been the laid back to the extreme attitude he had in the show to the point that he barely reacts to Shadow pulling a murder attempt on his friends, or it could be the fact that my first introduction to Sonic was a  horribly translated version of the 4kids dub, both things really annoyed me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sonic X Sonic felt so infallible and righteous he lacked much humanity. He didn't make any mistakes (at least not ones he was called out for) and most battles amounted to him acting like a deus ex machina at the last minute. He was more this entity for the other characters to look up to than his own character most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree that the Deadly Six are rather lackluster.

I disagree that Silver needs his own game.

I definitely agree that Sega needs to just build upon the lost world formula like what they did the boost formula in the past. 

• Thumbs Up 3

While Boom took some odd steps with the cast, there's some traits I feel could really benefit if used in the games (eg. Amy's non-Sonic interactions, Eggman's manipulation of his enemies' flaws, pretty much EVERYTHING about Tails).

Of the different modes in Adventure, I actually think Tails is the weakest. His gameplay itself is okay, but his levels play more like a very basic mini game, with it often feeling like I'm just breaking a segment of Sonic's level by bashing the fly button. The Adventure exploring and mini games compensate a bit, but of the lot, even the loathed Big and Amy have more unique appeal to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

With Aaron meme-ing his heart out on Sonic's official twitter page it made me think, man I really hope they don't throw out meme's in Sonic games to come.

Like a cutscene came into my head where Tails is talking to Sonic and is ignored and then Tails looks down and utters "Forever alone =(" to himself. I know it's probably just a silly thought, but my lord I hope they don't actually do these things... Please don't.

• Thumbs Up 4

With Aaron meme-ing his heart out on Sonic's official twitter page it made me think, man I really hope they don't throw out meme's in Sonic games to come.

Like a cutscene came into my head where Tails is talking to Sonic and is ignored and then Tails looks down and utters "Forever alone =(" to himself. I know it's probably just a silly thought, but my lord I hope they don't actually do these things... Please don't.

Yeah like I said I wouldbt be suprised if Sanic apperared in at least Sonic Boom

Ugh, the very idea of that happening makes me cringe. I love the Sonic Twitter, but I do not want to see them try and bring it into the games.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic X Sonic felt so infallible and righteous he lacked much humanity. He didn't make any mistakes (at least not ones he was called out for) and most battles amounted to him acting like a deus ex machina at the last minute. He was more this entity for the other characters to look up to than his own character most of the time.

I got a different impression from Sonic X Sonic. While he adhered to "Mr. Mascot" syndrome for the most part, there were rare moments where it dropped and he came off as surprisingly mischievous. His Stoicism felt like an insincere mask and is what made that version of the character interesting.

The cruise ship episode in particular showed he was not above being sneaky and manipulative when he wanted to be.

Edited by Cuz
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic Boom is even worse than the maligned Teen Titans Go. Sonic Boom is just bland and boring, and also suffers from not caring about the source material at all. They don't really showcase the series's cast of characters, something that TTG does. TTG has some memorably bad episodes to rage at ("The Return of Slade", "Let's Get Serious", "Boys vs. Girls"), Boom is just blah.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic Boom is even worse than the maligned Teen Titans Go. Sonic Boom is just bland and boring, and also suffers from not caring about the source material at all.

That's because it's an alternate universe!

And they made that clear from the very beginning. I'm not even a fan of it, but the fact that I have to point that out to detractors is really telling. It differing from the source material is no different from when the Sonic OVA did it, when SatAM did it, when Underground did it, or when Archie did it (and still is given it's an alternate setting as well), and as well as other subsections. So let's not call out Boom for doing something practically every alternate incarnation of Sonic has done, because that's just straight up hypocrisy.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 6

And they made that clear from the very beginning. I'm not even a fan of it, but the fact that I have to point that out to detractors is really telling. It not caring about the source material is no different from when the Sonic OVA did it, when SatAM did it, when Underground did it, or when Archie did it (and still is given it's an alternate setting as well), and all the other mediums. So let's not call out Boom for doing something practically every alternate incarnation of Sonic has done, because that's just straight up hypocrisy.

Hell, even the main series itself cares very little about its source material.

I've never been sure as to why it is that being "close to the games" makes one of the alternate forms of media better anways. It's not like the games are anything to aspire to being at this point, so why bother?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know Boom is a alternate universe but my problem with Boom is not that the characters are different, its that they hardly stick to the profiles they made for there characters. Biggest example would have to be with Amy's profile. They say shes the history buff, the archerologist of the team right? But they only have her in the mode.... like twice throughout the whole series. Knuckles is the nature loving guy... so his profile says and that he is not all brawns. But in about 80% of the episodes hes been in... hes cute and all but hes mostly a dimwitted character who is obessed with being strong. 

It go off so much so that there only purpose is to be walking talking memes for the shits and giggles. Thats my beef with them. Comedy and alternate universes are fine, its when they write something but they dont really use what they right and just throw it all away for the sake of a trope << kind of like what modern Sonic is like.

Edited by Mikyeong
  • Thumbs Up 4

Hell, even the main series itself cares very little about its source material.

I've never been sure as to why it is that being "close to the games" makes one of the alternate forms of media better anways. It's not like the games are anything to aspire to being at this point, so why bother?

Nevermind that it's source material isn't always that good or well told between SA2 and Unleashed (heck, sometimes even during those games if SA2's plotholes and Unleashed's bland middle act are any indicator).

And honestly, being "close to the games" seems like a veiled superiority complex people have with their media, because that implies that having differences that aren't close to the games is a bad thing and they can't actually improve or make something greater with it's own merits. That's not to say that no differences can be alienating or lacking in themselves, because Sonic X shows just that. But frankly, I don't care how close to the games an alternate media is, if the source had flaws or was lacking in itself, I fail to see how being close to the games is a good thing and differences made to make up for that is a bad thing - judge something for how it performs, not for whether it was there or not.

I know Boom is a alternate universe but my problem with Boom is not that the characters are different, its that they hardly stick to the profiles they made for there characters. Biggest example would have to be with Amy's profile. They say shes the history buff, the archerologist of the team right? But they only have her in the mode.... like twice throughout the whole series. Knuckles is the nature loving guy... so his profile says and that he is not all brawns. But in about 80% of the episodes hes been in... hes cute and all but hes mostly a dimwitted character who is obessed with being strong. 

It go off so much so that there only purpose is to be walking talking memes for the shits and giggles. Thats my beef with them. Comedy and alternate universes are fine, its when they write something but they dont really use what they right and just throw it all away for the sake of a trope << kind of like what modern Sonic is like.

Admittedly, that is a flaw for Sonic Boom. If they were never going to show the character traits in the show, why even bother having it there? Granted, I'm personally glad Amy didn't turn out that way in the show, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Admittedly, that is a flaw for Sonic Boom. If they were never going to show the character traits in the show, why even bother having it there? Granted, I'm personally glad Amy didn't turn out that way in the show, but still.

I actually wanted her to turn out that way though. It would have been something cool to add and no it wont take away from Tails sense hes a mechicalical genius. 

Speaking of Tails I find that most of his intellgent moments are done for laughs. 

Eggman? They say hes the most threatning.... but they make him a villian just for the laughs. There are alot of times where he wants to hang with the heroes which is odd sense they said that he hated them.

Edited by Mikyeong

And they made that clear from the very beginning. I'm not even a fan of it, but the fact that I have to point that out to detractors is really telling. It differing from the source material is no different from when the Sonic OVA did it, when SatAM did it, when Underground did it, or when Archie did it (and still is given it's an alternate setting as well), and as well as other subsections. So let's not call out Boom for doing something practically every alternate incarnation of Sonic has done, because that's just straight up hypocrisy.

From a guy who reads comics, alternate universe or no, there are bunches of alternate universe where the charters came from is extremely relevant to have context for what the twist is on this alternate universe,  or have a short hand backstory. Sonic boom is suffering " there is nothing there" because of that people can only reference the original source materials for examples because there is nothing there. As of currently their world hasn't been explored and its kind of nothing. Its been presented and thats sort of it. Shadow's a perfect example of this, they just present his character with little justification for why he is, what he is. When the justification part is literally a very large part of that characters appeal. So when presented out context , despite the initial " oh shit is my fav dude" you then begin to question why shadow is what he is, because a lot of people aren't fond of the attitude he has now. Context could probably alienate this issues, but as of current there is none. 

The only context we have is, there are ancients, there is lyric, character personalities, and that's about it. On another note, we do have small bit of context for shadow's character, he's extremely self righteous apparently. There was a shattered crystal prequel comic with him in it I continue to forget about. 

I think sonic boom has a lot of things to work on, as a franchise, games, comic books, tv shows and toys, to be better. Better writing maybe more of  a story in games, getting better teams to put these games out. But I think at least one of the issues will be solved by the thing being allowed to continue and explain itself.  

There is a lotta unknowns, some from lack of explanation, some from failing to explain. 

Edited by Shadowlax
  • Thumbs Up 2

I got a different impression from Sonic X Sonic. While he adhered to "Mr. Mascot" syndrome for the most part, there were rare moments where it dropped and he came off as surprisingly mischievous. His Stoicism felt like an insincere mask and is what made that version of the character interesting.

The cruise ship episode in particular showed he was not above being sneaky and manipulative when he wanted to be.

I think the problem was we only saw that element to him very rare occasions, and as said he was still a bit 'on top' all the time, he never got put off his pedestal. The cruise ship episode was a decent exception, but I can't pinpoint many other cases in the 70 episode series. He was also a bit too physically bestowed, most of the times he won just with a few flashy moves or a power ring, and even if that failed he had pure numbers on his side, compared to even the more light hearted variants that are often at least challenged and must resort to outsmarting Eggman at times (this is at least something Boom gets right).

I will credit Flynn, the Sonic X comics version seems like your impression more fully realised. He has that more human expressive tint to him, we see that stoic mask crack and more of that mischievous or arrogant side come out, he doesn't seem like some sort of god amongst the rest of the cast.

Concerning Boom's inconsistency, I won't deny that's sometimes a problem within episodes of the show itself (though most of the other medias suffer it to the same degree), but the bios that aren't followed seem no different to many other early statements or bibles for series that end up not getting followed. Any one remember Johnny Lightfoot and Porker Lewis appearing in Satam? Didn't think so.

Edited by E-122-Psi
  • Thumbs Up 1

The games may not be great at this point, but they're still the part of the series that I care about the most. I'd like to see (certain parts of) the games universe's characters, setting, tone, and storytelling revived and polished up, with the parts I don't like brought more in line with the parts that I do.

When they make something that's far from the games, though, they aren't selling me the Sonic I already know and love. They're selling me something that's kinda similar, but still a separate thing. It's kinda like all the animal mascot platformers that popped up to imitate Sonic; you can look at a Bubsy game and say "okay yeah, talking animal with 'tude, he runs fast and bounces off enemies, that's kinda like Sonic", but there's so much that's different that it ends up not being interesting to you (even ignoring that the Bubsy games are all pretty shit to play anyway).

And I mean, I'm not even taking a super hardline games-only stance. My favorite non-game Sonic media is the OVA, which in a lot of ways is wildly different from anything that's ever been in the games. But it still manages to translate a lot of what I like about the games, and a lot of what it does differently is still interesting and not too far from the overall tone that I want to see out of the series.

• Thumbs Up 5

Despite it's alterations however, I will give credit to Boom for mythology gags, so it has done the research to some degree, just it ignores a lot of it.

So far we've had Sonic loving chilli dogs and being unable to swim, Tails being afraid of lightning, most of Eggman's bots resembling retro badniks (plus one that was a merciless parody of the 'mascot with attitude' era), Knuckles originating from Angel Island and the main three using music to save the day complete with a laser shooting electric guitar.

From what I remember the comics added more (it was written by Flynn most of the time after all).

Edited by E-122-Psi

From a guy who reads comics, alternate universe or no, there are bunches of alternate universe where the charters came from is extremely relevant to have context for what the twist is on this alternate universe,  or have a short hand backstory. Sonic boom is suffering " there is nothing there" because of that people can only reference the original source materials for examples because there is nothing there. As of currently their world hasn't been explored and its kind of nothing. Its been presented and thats sort of it. Shadow's a perfect example of this, they just present his character with little justification for why he is, what he is. When the justification part is literally a very large part of that characters appeal. So when presented out context , despite the initial " oh shit is my fav dude" you then begin to question why shadow is what he is, because a lot of people aren't fond of the attitude he has now. Context could probably alienate this issues, but as of current there is none. 

The only context we have is, there are ancients, there is lyric, character personalities, and that's about it. On another note, we do have small bit of context for shadow's character, he's extremely self righteous apparently. There was a shattered crystal prequel comic with him in it I continue to forget about. 

I think sonic boom has a lot of things to work on, as a franchise, games, comic books, tv shows and toys, to be better. Better writing maybe more of  a story in games, getting better teams to put these games out. But I think at least one of the issues will be solved by the thing being allowed to continue and explain itself.  

There is a lotta unknowns, some from lack of explanation, some from failing to explain. 

Tell someone who cares - you're preaching to someone who doesn't like nor care about Sonic Boom for a lot of reasons (not saying it's a bad cartoon, just not my fancy).

The only reason I came to Boom's defense was because the thing it was being criticized for is something every incarnation before it is guilty of, and it's hypocritical to berate it for that. And this is something some people conveniently disregard when they look for things to complain about toward Boom. For every deviation you find in Boom, you can find equally as many, if not more in works like AoSTH, the OVA, SatAM, Archie, and other Sonic works out there, many of these being among the most acclaimed non-game works in the franchise despite or even for those differences. So let's get off of Boom's case and not make excuses over this.

• Thumbs Up 2

In speaking of Sonic Boom, that reminds me. I have another unpopular opinion of mine. 

*Picks up shield*

Knuckles from the main series is very dull in comparison to his boom counterpart. I've never found him that interesting of a character. Also doesn't help that him and a lot other characters rarely show up in a main series game. So I would agree that Boom knuckles is a terrible incarnation if the the main series one was a fun, interesting character. Unfortunately, he just never was to me.  *shrugs*

I would also apply this Amy and ( to an extent) Tails. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what I'm with CC on how SEGA Knuckles was never really that interesting of a character to me. I felt like SA1 had something going for ol' Knux but it was all dismissed in SA2 and he was never really that relevant in the main games, the Riders and 0G had some nice moments with him but it wasn't enough for me to consider him a "great" character. 

Boom Knux is pretty great for what he is, a silly, dumb and slightly egotistical oaf but with a big heart. Love that guy!

The current Archie version of Knuckles is what SEGA Knuckles should be. Has his guardian duties he needs to take care of but he can be a bro too and help his pals out as well, hopes he's kind of naive and stubborn too. 

Amy was actually the more surprising character for me in the main series, she's actually grown a lot more mature as the games progressed. I mean sure, she was still a ditz fangirl for Sonic but she wasn't oblivious. I liked her quite a bit.

Tails though, after Adventure 2, he was just kinda there. Colors onwards reignited the bromance between him and Sonic and I liked him a bit more after that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Boom knuckles is raw butt. My man went from vegeta piccilo to yamcha. Poor knuckles took the biggest L so the rest could stay relatively safe. 

Boom eggman though, gift from the gods. 

Tell someone who cares - you're preaching to someone who doesn't like nor care about Sonic Boom for a lot of reasons (not saying it's a bad cartoon, just not my fancy).

The only reason I came to Boom's defense was because the thing it was being criticized for is something every incarnation before it is guilty of, and it's hypocritical to berate it for that. And this is something some people conveniently disregard when they look for things to complain about toward Boom. For every deviation you find in Boom, you can find equally as many, if not more in works like AoSTH, the OVA, SatAM, Archie, and other Sonic works out there, many of these being among the most acclaimed non-game works in the franchise despite or even for those differences. So let's get off of Boom's case and not make excuses over this.

I also do not care for the cartoon, I have... posted a lot along the lines of that. but I am saying it could get better in future, though I would argue if that many people are calling out these deviations as opposed to other ones, maybe there is reason for that. Though I will say, people talk hot shit about archie all the time, it still has a stigma it has long since moved past. So boom ain't the only one.Though after worlds unite and some of the other most recent studies... and their... odd desire to keep the werehog thing around. Maybe some of that criticism is a bit.... warranted, to say the least. 

Edited by Shadowlax

I feel like tone of stake in the comics is not as big as it used to be in pre-reboot. 

I kind of don't like it, if story is too lighthearted then I just find it borring. I just prefer if plot is a little more serious than in games.

Edited by blade57331

To tell you the truth it kinda felt like that for a while. The Mecha Sally arc dragged on for so long I grew completely apathetic (ironic that if they shortened it not only would it have kept more steam, it might have been allowed to end proper).

Concerning the character interpretations and Boom conversation, I do think at the very least their version of Tails is near perfect. He's a great compromise of classic and modern mythos and bringing both of them to life in a unique way. This is coming from someone who thought nearly all modern versions of Tails were rather dull beforehand.

Amy's Boom interpretation is okay in doses, I like she has non Sonic connected quirks, but I feel they should dial down the 'stuck up prude' characterisation they used more and more in later episodes and the comics, I'm not really sure it fits her (at least in early episodes she was still rather energetic and dippy despite her lucidity increase).

Edited by E-122-Psi