Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I also do not care for the cartoon, I have... posted a lot along the lines of that. but I am saying it could get better in future, though I would argue if that many people are calling out these deviations as opposed to other ones, maybe there is reason for that. Though I will say, people talk hot shit about archie all the time, it still has a stigma it has long since moved past. So boom ain't the only one.Though after worlds unite and some of the other most recent studies... and their... odd desire to keep the werehog thing around. Maybe some of that criticism is a bit.... warranted, to say the least. 

You're not listening to what I'm saying and are trying to derail it into your problems with Archie Sonic. The so called criticism with Boom I'm calling out seems to boil down to "it sucks because it's different," which isn't really the most valid criticism out there when, as I pointed out earlier, the same holds true for previous installments that these very critics enjoy. Not because of how these differences work, and rarely do these vocal critics consider the flaws of the original work itself, nor do they get into their minds that it's an alternate universe that will make such differences in the first place.

We're not talking to the extent of changing Sonic from blue to red, but taking Sonic and (albeit some of) his friends as we know them from one setting and making a new setting and seeing how they would work there. This has been done in AoStH and SatAM - fair enough if you want to point out that this was during the franchise's early beginnings before there was a lore, but then you have fan favorites like the OVA in 1999 which flat out chucks everything about the franchise out the window while keeping mainly Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Metal Sonic while adding a few new characters, no different to what Boom has done. Then you have widely mixed reception of Underground which does a mix and match of SatAM's elements, while doing away with game characters like Tails, but bringing game characters like Knuckles, and game places the Floating Island into the fray - again, no different to what Boom as done. And so forth.

I'm not invalidating any complaints toward Boom over how they work on these differences, because some of them I actually agree with, particularly on the more sitcom-ish storytelling, or on Knuckles being more dimwitted in the setting compared to other versions of him where he was gullible, but not exactly being a stereotypical dumb muscle. But even with my complaints, the fact remains that as Boom is an alternate setting, it was expected to differ in some or a lot of places with what I've seen in other works - something which was made clear and said at the beginning of Boom's announcement. And while I don't particularly like the setting's differences that much, I'll be damned if I let anyone berate it simply for being different like other works before it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont think i said anything that dissagreed with your statement. But if you wish continue being my rivak character its fine.

You saying "maybe there is a reason for people calling out these differences" isn't exactly agreeing with my statement of "This is an alternate universe? This was kinda expected."

• Thumbs Up 1

(I dont know) opinion: I dont think SEGA should make Sonic Adventure 3. 

Its not because I am not much a fan of the Adventure series (though I do talk down about them) but its because theres so many people who want this game to happen that any flaw ST makes can make for a bad game. There are not only people who want a SA3 but people who have so many ideas on how SA3 should play and how the story should be. We are asking a team of people who chose not to add the Genesis gameplay to Sonic games, which in itself is not very hard to program or understand especially in a 2D setting, to make a game who many Sonic fans claim it will "save the franchise".

I wouldnt bother.

Archie Sonic comics should be cancelled and replaced with a new series. The Archie characters are horrendous and do not look anything like Sonic characters especially the females with wigs. King Sonic? Sonic would never settle down. 

Archie Sonic comics should be cancelled and replaced with a new series. The Archie characters are horrendous and do not look anything like Sonic characters especially the females with wigs. King Sonic? Sonic would never settle down. 

They dont do that anymore. They rebooted the comics. So characters look more Sonic-like and they toned down on the romance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

They dont do that anymore. They rebooted the comics. So characters look more Sonic-like and they toned down on the romance. 

Honestly, I dont think SEGA should allow anthros not created by Sonic Team to appear in the comic. New Sally is just as unsonic as old; since when do Sonic characters have human hair!? Remember when they tried to make Sally super sexy model rodent? GROSS  

Honestly, I dont think SEGA should allow anthros not created by Sonic Team to appear in the comic. New Sally is just as unsonic as old; since when do Sonic characters have human hair!? Remember when they tried to make Sally super sexy model rodent? GROSS  

What you actually define to be "Soniclike"?

And by not allowing, you mean characters that have not appeared in the games or characters not created directly by Sonic Team? Because those two things are not the same if you don't know that.

What you actually define to be "Soniclike"?

And by not allowing, you mean characters that have not appeared in the games or characters not created directly by Sonic Team? Because those two things are not the same if you don't know that.

*raises eyebrows* Sonic has a distinct anthro look that is entirely recognizable amongst other anthos and exclusive to itself. Being a Sonic yourself, you know what that style is. I believe my previous post is pretty clear in what I mean. If Sonic Team didnt create it, then it should be allowed to appear in the comics 

*raises eyebrows* Sonic has a distinct anthro look that is entirely recognizable amongst other anthos and exclusive to itself. Being a Sonic yourself, you know what that style is. I believe my previous post is pretty clear in what I mean. If Sonic Team didnt create it, then it should be allowed to appear in the comics 

Ok. In that case better check out which characters should not be allowed to be in those. This would probably be a good place to start:http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/11/because-why-not-creators-copyrights-and-chaotix/

Ok. In that case better check out which characters should not be allowed to be in those. This would probably be a good place to start:http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/11/because-why-not-creators-copyrights-and-chaotix/

I checked all clear! Dont wanna see bark, mighty, bean, and ray. Keep them outta the comics.

A comic that is essentially nothing but a series of game adaptations will not last long. At some point, such a thing needs to introduce some characters that aren't designed by Sonic Team to keep going. That's how all comics work, mate.

Comics are very far detached from actual Sonic lore. Sonic Battle and Chronicals are great ways of expanding on the lore but staying within confines of it. I much prefer the Mauraders/Nocturne Clan to the shit in the comics. 

Edited by RappedinBlacX

Comics are very far detached from actual Sonic lore. Sonic Battle and Chronicals are great ways of expanding on the lore but staying within confines of it. I much prefer the Mauraders/Nocturne Clan to the shit in the comics. 

But still, mate; both Battle AND Chronicles added new characters to expand said lore. The only difference is that Emerl-Gemerl and Shade are Sega!Sonic characters (we could argue about Shade, I'm one of those guys who like to pretend Chronicles never happened)  while Bunnie Rabbot and those other insignificant dudes are Archie!Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uhm, how is Chronicles a great way of staying within the Sonic game lore when it liberally adapted comic elements like SWATBots and extra echidna clans, rewrote the characters in such a facile way, and has been directly described as non-canon by a Sega employee anyway?

• Thumbs Up 9

But still, mate; both Battle AND Chronicles added new characters to expand said lore. The only difference is that Emerl-Gemerl and Shade are Sega!Sonic characters (we could argue about Shade, I'm one of those guys who like to pretend Chronicles never happened)  while Bunnie Rabbot and those other insignificant dudes are Archie!Sonic characters.

Sonic Battle added 1 character... Technically 2 if you wanna count Chaos Gamma. Im like you, I also dont consider Chronicles canon though it does tie nicely and while Shade wasnt designed by Sonic Team, I still consider her more Sonicky than anything Archie put out. Archie characters should be cut out and then given their own comic. Hell, they'd fit right in with Freedom Planet. 

Sonic comic feels like sonic in a permanent crossover 

Sonic Battle added 1 character... Technically 2 if you wanna count Chaos Gamma. Im like you, I also dont consider Chronicles canon though it does tie nicely and while Shade wasnt designed by Sonic Team, I still consider her more Sonicky than anything Archie put out. Archie characters should be cut out and then given their own comic. Hell, they'd fit right in with Freedom Planet. 

Sonic comic feels like sonic in a permanent crossover 

What the hell?

Archie Sonic is a alternate universe so they are going to have other characters. As for them not looking "Sonic-y", they fixed that problem when they rebooted the comics. All of the characters there have different appearances and look more like they belong in the Sonic Universe. 

29bcf2f98ed7c04ca3c4365df0e7da8d.png

heres what Sally looks like now for example. Now she has the typical Sonic design ie tubes for arms, large chubby hands, round face but still has the more unque characteristics 

same thing with Rabbot's design

latest?cb=20140510061230

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic and The Secret Rings' soundtrack is sadly underrated (from what I've heard anyway) and usually, people take the piss out of the music. Only songs I didn't care for in the soundtrack was Seven Rings In Hand (Due to the fact that by the end of the game, I was getting frustrated by the shit controls and hearing that song every 15 minutes when back in the main menu made it utterly repetitive, and in general, it just lacks the same greatness Crush 40's other themes had, and Dinosaur Jungle, because the music just felt like it didn't have any good rhythm and felt rather cheesy to be honest.

That said however, my favourites from the soundtrack are...

And now for a mixed opinion, I absolutely despise the story of the games in the periods between 2003-2008 (I liked Unleashed, and Black Knight's stories), and 2010-Present. For 2003-2008, I'm not a fan of Heroes' story because of the fact that it tried to make the story too simple, which led to a lot of plot holes, and plot conveniences. Shadow not asking any of the other characters about what went down in his past, Teams just randomly getting into fights for no reason, Big and Cream just assuming that Sonic the Hedgehog of all characters would kidnap a frog and chao, and then not even call him out on it (And before someone says it was in the newspaper Cream was reading, just remember that the exact same thing happened in SA2, and it's clearly considered canon because Rouge recalls the events, so you'd think Amy, Cream and Big would know better after the Shadow mess.

Shadow's story was too desperate to be edgy and ended up turning into a badly acted, contrived plot hole ridden mess with 11 underdeveloped terrible stories. The entire goal of the game is to find out Shadow's past and if he's the legit Shadow or not, but it's like they just said fuck it as soon as they had to do the story process and it became an afterthought. The major plot point isn't revealed until you spend 9 minutes in the Devil Doom boss fight, and it's an off-hand comment from Eggman. Cuz dat's gud storytelling. There's also things like G.U.N Commander blaming Shadow for the death of Maria, DESPITE CLEARLY SEEING IT WAS G.U.N WITH HIS OWN EYES. The game in general feels try-hard to be all dark and gritty, and it fails on such a spectacular level.

06...do I even need to say why? Imagine Shadow's story on a far wider scale, and amp up everything I mentioned above, and add in even worse characters (Elise is my most hated Sonic character if anyone was wondering). I hate 06's story.

Then came Colours, which completely oversimplified the story, something I felt was totally unneeded because I felt Unleashed and Black Knight finally managed to get the right tone between dark themes, and lighthearted, and it also doesn't help that they finally got their shit together and gave the characters good characterization in both games. With Colours, the story was totally over simplified, and still somehow had plot holes. For example, 2 full tanks of the Alien's Hyper-Go-On energy only managed to brainwash Tails for maybe...1 minute? Even then, Tails acted more like a puppet, than actually someone brainwashed to obey Eggman. So how would that work for Eggman? Would he just go around controlling everyone on the planet like puppets like that one episode of Courage for like 30 seconds, considering he likely not even have nearly enough of the energy needed to control them for longer than a minute?

Generations was completely and utterly undeveloped, and they practically gave up as soon as Chemical Plant Zone was over. A complete disappointment considering how interesting the plot sounded, and under the right hands, could have been a really creative story filled with references for fans, and more of them rather than the...two we get in the actual story.

Lost World. I've talked about this so many times in the past so I'll try keep it brief. It flanderizes pretty much every single character in the games, it apparently retcons some of the franchise's most well-known staples (If Amy's cut off "secret" is to be believed, it's likely she never chased after Sonic...for some reason? Sounded like that anyway). Tails acts like a general egotistical asshole throughout the entire affair, and while I know what they were trying to do between Sonic and Tails, it doesn't change the fact they fucked it up in such a massive fashion. The Deadly Six are bland two dimensional stereotypes ("OH MAH GAWD, ZEENA'S A GIRL, SO SHE ONLY CARES ABOUT MAKEUP, LOOKS, AND HER NAILS"). Oh, and the biggest problem about Colours, Generations, and Lost World? The majority of the humor is absolutely unbearable throughout. 

The less said about Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal, the better.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 6

Archie Sonic comics should be cancelled and replaced with a new series. 

Better idea: you stop reading them and let the people who like it enjoy them.

To suggest something others like to be canceled because you don't like it is self entitlement of the highest order.

• Thumbs Up 7

Better idea: you stop reading them and let the people who like it enjoy them.

To suggest something others like to be canceled because you don't like it is self entitlement of the highest order.

Of course!, but you might want to read the thread title though....

Of course!, but you might want to read the thread title though....

What about it? I know what the thread title says - there's nothing in it that says you can't be criticized for an opinion. Anything you say is up for people calling you out on it.

That goes throughout this entire forum in any topic, unless there are rules that disallow certain subjects. So you're gonna have a hard time being around here if you can't accept that, because "it's my opinion" doesn't mean shit to any of us here.

EDIT: Also...

. The Deadly Six are bland one dimensional stereotypes ("OH MAH GAWD, ZEENA'S A GIRL, SO SHE ONLY CARES ABOUT MAKEUP, LOOKS, AND HER NAILS").

Two dimensional, brah.

Remember the 3 Character dimensions: Physiology (physical appearance), Sociology (History, Background), and Psychology (Mentaility/personality). The Deadly Six barely come out on all three, so they're more two dimensional by default. ;)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

Look man, if your saying things like "Archie Sonic should be cancelled" (especially for a reason as stupid as "the characters dont look Sonic-y enough") then people are going to challenge your opinion. Especially knowing there are people here who are fans of the comics. "Its my opinion" is a poor excuse for a defense and is a way of telling others "do not dare challenge me". If your not up for the challenge then you are going to have a hard time here. 

Also no offense, but its obvious that you havent read the reboot of Archie comics. I have showed you the reboot designs of the characters and how they changed to me more Sonic-y and others have also said that the romance has died down much. 

Edited by Mikyeong
  • Thumbs Up 8

What about it? I know what the thread title says - there's nothing in it that says you can't be criticized for an opinion. Anything you say is up for people calling you out on it.

That goes throughout this entire forum in any topic, unless there are rules that disallow certain subjects. So you're gonna have a hard time being around here if you can't accept that, because "it's my opinion" doesn't mean shit to any of us here.

Im a member of both VG Chartz and Neogaf. I'll be fine here. 

I didnt find you to be critical, just a stick in the mud. You must Knuckles type.. No chuckles? but for future reference feel free to be critical and make sure to pull no punches because I sure as hell wont. Im opinionated and I just love a good debate and you just up and left me thirsty 

Look man, if your saying things like "Archie Sonic should be cancelled" (especially for a reason as stupid as "the characters dont look Sonic-y enough") then people are going to challenge your opinion. Especially knowing there are people here who are fans of the comics. "Its my opinion" is a poor excuse for a defense and is a way of telling others "do not dare challenge me". If your not up for the challenge then you are going to have a hard time here. 

I think people took that wrong way. His answer is basically "shut up and away", but I just answered the thread prompt!!! Give me more than that!!!

An unpopular opinion would be "I don't like Archie Sonic for *insert reasons here*

What you're saying is you hope a comic that others enjoy is cancelled. That's completely different.

• Thumbs Up 1

An unpopular opinion would be "I don't like Archie Sonic for *insert reasons here*

What you're saying is you hope a comic that others enjoy is cancelled. That's completely different.

There are people who want archie Sonic to be replaced with a another Sonic comic.. I agree with those people. Thats my unpopular opinion.