Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Im a member of both VG Chartz and Neogaf. I'll be fine here.

We're not VG Chart or Neogaf, so however things work there probably doesn't fly here.

I think people took that wrong way. His answer is basically "shut up and away", but I just answered the thread prompt!!! Give me more than that!!!

Your opinion essentially came off as "fuck this thing you people like," which on these forums is basically antagonizing fans than stirring up debate, and it's not going to give you the kind of debate you want or will like. Had you said "I don't like Archie for X reasons (i.e. non-antagonizing reasons)" instead of saying it should be canceled, things might have been more favorable towards you, and you'd have gotten a different, and much more respectful response even from those who disagree.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think people took that wrong way. His answer is basically "shut up and away", but I just answered the thread prompt!!! Give me more than that!!!

Dude, his answer wasnt like that. He was basically telling you "if you dont like it, do not read it." and hes right. Saying that the comics should be cancelled for stupid reasons that cannot be backed up with any intelligent argument is a type of self entitlement and so people will challenge you. Just saying. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Saying that you want the comics to be canceled can be a legitimate opinion, but the way you said it showed no regard at all for those who are fans. A way to possibly sound less like a self-entitled person who doesn't care about other people's opinions would be to say that, if the series was canceled, it could be replaced with something that even its fans would like better - which would certainly be very debatable (and indeed, people would probably have debated you on it!), but at least it wouldn't indicate that you would like to decrease the enjoyment of others just because you personally don't like something. It's not like the very existence of Archie Sonic is hurting you. As long as you don't read it, it does literally no harm to you at all. So yeah, when you say what you said it kinda doesn't come across well. Add to that the fact that your arguments are ridiculously poor, simplistic, and don't even have that much to do with the comics as they are now, and it shouldn't be a surprise that some people have reacted negatively to you.

People being entitled to their own opinions is a two-way street, bub. If you're allowed to say your opinion, others are allowed to disagree with you.

• Thumbs Up 5

Once upon a time I was a subscriber of the Archie Sonic comic and took offense to the way the comic would promote itself through its flashy covers and sales pitches/solicits. 

My beef was that if they said the issue would have a ton of action, a deep plot revalation and loads of characters yet The actual issue had none of the above I was entitled to complain about it as a paying customer since in my logic I had been scammed by the Archie PR staff.

The response I got was to "shut up and don't read it/buy it if you don't like it." What made this hilarious was that the counter argument was delivered by a Satam fan who didn't buy the comic himself yet still suffered from the belief that his opinion was more important then someone who actually supported the comic financially.

But to actually add to the current conversation going on, why is everyone getting so upset? If you don't agree with this person and find his opinion and behavior offensive then stop responding to it.

Once upon a time I was a subscriber of the Archie Sonic comic and took offense to the way the comic would promote itself through its flashy covers and sales pitches/solicits. 

My beef was that if they said the issue would have a ton of action, a deep plot revalation and loads of characters yet The actual issue had none of the above I was entitled to complain about it as a paying customer since in my logic I had been scammed by the Archie PR staff.

The response I got was to "shut up and don't read it/buy it if you don't like it." What made this hilarious was that the counter argument was delivered by a Satam fan who didn't buy the comic himself yet still suffered from the belief that his opinion was more important then someone who actually supported the comic financially.

But to actually add to the current conversation going on, why is everyone getting so upset? If you don't agree with this person and find his opinion and behavior offensive then stop responding to it.

I do admit, while that is my normal debating style (and actually CSS was alot nicer then I was), I shouldnt have been so hard on him.

My point still stands. Everyone has a right to there opinion and the guy has a point, that this is a Sonic opinions thread. My beef with what he said was this: he said that the Archie comics should be cancelled. Again he has a right to his opinion, Im not taking that away from him.... but when you come into a thread full of people who are fans of Archie comics, especially now that it has been rebooted and say the comics should be cancelled, then people are going to engage you in a debate. Why? Because it gives off this mentality that you belive something should be cancelled because you say so. Its like you are wanting to take something that most fans want away. That is what CSS ment by "self entitlement". That was the issue here. 

And then theres the reasons given. I do admit, there was more shipping then the navy in the pre-reboot days, and that King Sonic issue was one of the worst things they should have done. Also saying that the designs dont belong in the Sonic Universe (which was his biggest argument for cancelling the comics).... that can be said true in the pre-reboot days as the female characters were made more womanly then they should especially when said characters were 14 years old. However the designs got a more Sonic-y look to them so I and others have proved that point to be bullshit. Also, post-reboot there is hardly any shipping or any love stories going on, so we proved that to be bullshit as well. The reboot, characters and stories have been rewritten so bascially the stuff pre-reboot didnt happen.

If the person said "I dont like Archie comics because X" that would be different. Yes the fans Archie comics such as CSS would have still wanted to know more about his opinion but the whole outcome would have been different. We dont have a problem with him not liking Archie comics..... its how he came with it that we had a problem with.

Back then: I used to say that the classic games were shitty games. And people have engaged me in a debate on it and I deserved it. Why? They had no problem with me not liking the Genesis games or its playstyles... but how I came with it was the problem. And then my reasons for hating them were pretty bullshit reasons (such as them not playing like the modern games) and I deserved all the shit I got for that. Rightfully so.

Edited by Mikyeong

Because we have a right to call him out on it? That kinda works both ways dude - you don't get to tell us to stop responding to something we don't like anymore than you having the right to say what you want.

That's basically telling us "i have an opinion so stfu" and it doesn't work that way.

Don't all comic book publishers do this? Maybe you should check your expectations and not take the solicits so literally?

It's fine if you gave the thing a shot and were disappointed, and no one will tell you you can't be, no matter how much you want to believe it to be true (people have different opinions and are free to argue with you as you are with them) but I think it's pretty silly to claim you've been scammed. I've been disappointed by a few things that's happened with the book, sure, but at the end of the day, it's my choice to keep buying the book as it is my choice to go down to my LCS and have it removed from my pull list. That's your power as a consumer. You can voice your displeasure--many have--and then you can quit, which you've apparently done.

Edited by Zaysho

Don't all comic book publishers do this? Maybe you should check your expectations and not take the solicits so literally?

It's technically called lying to the consumer if you tell them that your comic is an action packed explosion when in reality it's a study in politics and morality. 

My beef was not so much the actual stories themselves but rather that Archie was not only exaggerating the contents but that from my point of view they were doing it too often as well at the time. So I stated my opinion in a forum, but instead of getting a meaningful debate going I was instead told to shut up and don't read It.

"STOP IT, YOU'RE TEARING US APART!"

Stop+you+re+tearing+this+family+apart_9b

I mean Jeeeeeez! It's just a Comic Book. Fair enough if you don't like it, feel it didn't live up to your expectations, or if you feel there's too much romance, not enough plot - those are legit opinions. Saying it should be cancelled? That's not really much an opinion.

I mean why do you want it cancelled? Does it's constant existence somehow bother your everyday life? Does other people's enjoyment of the series not sit well with you?

I bought it, I tried it, I found the series too boring for me, so I moved on. Can't you? Here's a recommendation; there are tonnes of different comics. Don't like the Archie Sonic series? Try something else?

A lot of you guys took my opinion "personally". The thread clearly says, Popular and Unpopular Sonic Opinions you agree and disagree with you, and I gave my reasons for them. 

Its no different than saying "There shouldnt be another adventure game" in the face of millions ofa dventure fans, who probably outweigh every other Sonic fanbase. Or such and such character shouldnt return.

I dont care if you would like to debate my opinion, but lets  not make it personal. Btw, you guys keep throwing "entitled" out but I dont think you guys know what it means.   To be "self-entitled " is the belief that you deserve to be giving something or that your opinion or statement matters more than anothers. Ironically, outside of you comic lovers that didnt happened.  

Wouldn't call the following neither a popular or an unpopular opinion; Sonic Colours is not in any way, shape or form the benchmark, the standard that Sonic titles should be measured against because it does absolutely nothing truly exceptionally.

Just like how Sonic 4 shouldn't be the standard to which 2D Sonic titles should be measured against, Colours shouldn't be the standard that games in the 3D era should be measured against because there's nothing about it is that is remarkable, both in gameplay and writing quality. If Colours is considered some kind of benchmark for this series in this day and age, considered a "good standard" the series should try to live up to despite it's mediocrity and unambitiousness then it's no wonder at all that the series is in the condition that it's in currently, releasing by-the-numbers games that hold no true lasting appeal nor give-off the impression of ambition and passion.

Merely being "good"/"great" is not good enough.

The only reason Colors gets that title is because it was the first high quality Sonic game in a loooong time ignoring how boring it is. It also didnt get destroyed by critics.  

Edited by RappedinBlacX

It's technically called lying to the consumer if you tell them that your comic is an action packed explosion when in reality it's a study in politics and morality. 

My beef was not so much the actual stories themselves but rather that Archie was not only exaggerating the contents but that from my point of view they were doing it too often as well at the time. So I stated my opinion in a forum, but instead of getting a meaningful debate going I was instead told to shut up and don't read It.

I'm nearly sure that description you gave us has been out of date for the past...10 years. Even more so in the past 2 years, we're at a point where generally every issue contains some fighting, and as for the "politics", that didn't really go farther than the council of Acorn being idiotic dickheads and Sonic just ignoring them, which is in character for him in a sense.

But with #252 and the soft reboot, there hasn't been a shade of politics in the comic, meaning that is even more out of date. As for Morality, that's to build characters. It's to show that the world isn't just black and white, good vs bad, but rather it's shades of grey and really even villains could just be good people who were forced into a unfortunate situation and have no other choice but to help Eggman (I believe the latest issue even has Eggman mocking Cassia over this because Cassia only agreed to work with him to get help for her sister). It isn't just Sonic that does it, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a common thing for stories because it shows the characters as having more reason other than "They're evil I guess" and makes them more sympathic.

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of you guys took my opinion "personally". The thread clearly says, Popular and Unpopular Sonic Opinions you agree and disagree with you, and I gave my reasons for them. 

Its no different than saying "There shouldnt be another adventure game" in the face of millions ofa dventure fans, who probably outweigh every other Sonic fanbase. Or such and such character shouldnt return.

I dont care if you would like to debate my opinion, but lets  not make it personal. Btw, you guys keep throwing "entitled" out but I dont think you guys know what it means.   To be "self-entitled " is the belief that you deserve to be giving something or that your opinion or statement matters more than anothers. Ironically, outside of you comic lovers that didnt happened.  

Nothing wrong with your opinion, all i can say in response is welcome to the sonic fandom. Lets be frank, your opinion was a very bold statement and can easily upset people that feel differently. Going after you on a personal level however was uncalled for and shouldnt happen since your comment was in no way an attack on other people.

As for me, i would just like to ask why you think it should be cancelled based on that it doesnt follow Segas vision of the franchise. Do you think it harms the franchise as a whole in some way by it continuing to exist? Do you think it could change the games vision of the franchise? Something that can make me understand why you wish for it to be canceled instead of it being a thing that exists that you dont care for.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't call the following neither a popular or an unpopular opinion; Sonic Colours is not in any way, shape or form the benchmark, the standard that Sonic titles should be measured against because it does absolutely nothing truly exceptionally.

Just like how Sonic 4 shouldn't be the standard to which 2D Sonic titles should be measured against, Colours shouldn't be the standard that games in the 3D era should be measured against because there's nothing about it is that is remarkable, both in gameplay and writing quality. If Colours is considered some kind of benchmark for this series in this day and age, considered a "good standard" the series should try to live up to despite it's mediocrity and unambitiousness then it's no wonder at all that the series is in the condition that it's in currently, releasing by-the-numbers games that hold no true lasting appeal nor give-off the impression of ambition and passion.

Merely being "good"/"great" is not good enough.

The only reason Colors gets that title is because it was the first high quality Sonic game in a loooong time ignoring how boring it is. It also didnt get destroyed by critics.  

I dont know man, Sonic Colors was a game that was actually cool with the majority of the fans and the critics and you know how much the critics love to hate Sonic. People/critics considered it a great game because they have been waiting so long for a light hearted charm that the Genesis games had. Yes, it kinda a eh game but game standard (Mikyeong standards: it is a great game) but still people feel it is how modern games should be for those reasons alone. 

And I do disagree with the game not having passion put into it. Lack of ambition? Yes. Using mechanics that have worn out its potential sense the Unleashed days? Yes. But even *I* felt there was passion put into the game, especially when you pin it against games like Generations which was pure nostalgia pandering that nothing else mattered and Lost World that focuses on bad jokes because "the chikdren!11".

Nothing wrong with your opinion, all i can say in response is welcome to the sonic fandom. Lets be frank, your opinion was a very bold statement and can easily upset people that feel differently. Going after you on a personal level however was uncalled for and shouldnt happen since your comment was in no way an attack on other people.

As for me, i would just like to ask why you think it should be cancelled based on that it doesnt follow Segas vision of the franchise. Do you think it harms the franchise as a whole in some way by it continuing to exist? Do you think it could change the games vision of the franchise? Something that can make me understand why you wish for it to be canceled instead of it being a thing that exists that you dont care for.

I will say it again:  I am very opinionated and I do NOT pull punches, but at the same I will never go for personal attacks. That is just admission an for having an argument. 

Weirdly, everybody chose ignore but I did list reasons.

1. I find the non SEGA anthros horrendous and they dont follow Sonic style anthros. Example  - Hair, Sonic anthos do not add needless human features. Sonics hair represents a hedgehogs quills. Archie characters, especially females, tend to have flat out human hair. Sonic has established guys dont wear clothes just accessories and females wear are the clothes. In Archie mostly everyone wears clothes so the SEGA characters stand out as being officially naked!!!. Its jarring. Pre or post Gen archie anthros are just unappealing.

2. Excluding the ones SEGA created, how many alternate, Sonics/Eggmans/super forms exist? The brotherhood of metalix is cool. Ill give them that.

3. The fusion of Satam and officially Sonic never worked for me. Kingdoms? King Sonic?, Sonics future kids .... With a squirrel? Gene bomb that fused human and animal DNA?  At one time didnt Eggman have power to robotize by touch?. Though Sonic Chronicles used the comic as source, it did a better job of adapting it. I much prefer the Mauraders/Nocturne to their comic book counterparts. Sonic Chronicles almost felt like a sequel to Battle and thats how good of a job I think they did.  Comics just feel like eternal cross over.

I will say it again:  I am very opinionated and I do NOT pull punches, but at the same I will never go for personal attacks. That is just admission an for having an argument. 

1. I find the non SEGA anthros horrendous and they dont follow Sonic style anthros. Example  - Hair, Sonic anthos do not add needless human features. Sonics hair represents a hedgehogs quills. Archie characters, especially females, tend to have flat out human hair. Sonic has established guys dont wear clothes just accessories and females wear are the clothes. In Archie mostly everyone wears clothes so the SEGA characters stand out as being officially naked!!!. Its jarring. Pre or post Gen archie anthros are just unappealing.

2. Excluding the ones SEGA created, how many alternate, Sonics/Eggmans/super forms exist? The brotherhood of metalix is cool. Ill give them that.

3. The fusion of Satam and officially Sonic never worked for me. Kingdoms? King Sonic?, Sonics future kids .... With a squirrel? Gene bomb that fused human and animal DNA?  At one time didnt Eggman have power to robotize by touch?. Though Sonic Chronicles used the comic as source, it did a better job of adapting it. I much prefer the Mauraders/Nocturne to their comic book counterparts. Sonic Chronicles almost felt like a sequel to Battle and thats how good of a job I think they did.  Comics just feel like eternal cross over.

I actually really like all of these a lot. :v

you guys keep throwing "entitled" out but I dont think you guys know what it means.   To be "self-entitled " is the belief that you deserve to be giving something or that your opinion or statement matters more than anothers. Ironically, outside of you comic lovers that didnt happened.  

What you said was very much entitled by definition dude - stating that the comics should be cancelled despite the fans that enjoy it because you don't like how different it is practically fits that bill, if you want to be pedantic about semantics.

You don't like the work for certain reasons? Fair enough, it's not gonna appeal to everyone, and we don't mind if you dislike it. But saying it should be gone so you can have another work is crossing a different line altogether.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, i did read your reasons. I just thought that those were legit reasons for not liking the archie universe. But you wanted it canceled. I didnt think that this opinion simply originated from you not liking the archie comics. There is a lot of things that i dont like, but my opinion isnt that they should be canceled since there are people that likes them and they dont effect me in any way. The only reason for me wanting something to not exist is when it interferes with something i like, but even then i would be happy by just getting my alternative then to have the other part erased.

So i thought that maybe you had a reason beyond not liking it.

I'm nearly sure that description you gave us has been out of date for the past...10 years. Even more so in the past 2 years, we're at a point where generally every issue contains some fighting, and as for the "politics", that didn't really go farther than the council of Acorn being idiotic dickheads and Sonic just ignoring them, which is in character for him in a sense.

I was referring to issue 241 which contains some fighting but given that the solicit reads

"Team Freedom has battled the Eggman away from New Mobotropolis, and now it's up to Sonic and Team Fighters to finish the job! The seeds of destruction may have been sown aboard the Death Egg, but what new evil has sprung? "

I bought this issue, and in my opinion it failed to deliver anything that even came close to what the solicit promised, there was no Sonic x Eggman fight, no new evil or even any seeds of destruction.

What we did have was Nagus and Geoffrey dealing with politics and the morality of Nagus actions and Geoffrey guilt from siding with him. All this was sprinkled with the odd fight involving Team Fighters and Eggswats plus a giant metal Sonic that went down without any real fighting plus Eggman finding a bit of the Kudzu plant inside the Death Egg.

What you said was very much entitled by definition dude - stating that the comics should be cancelled despite the fans that enjoy it because you don't like how different it is practically fits that bill, if you want to be pedantic about semantics.

You don't like the work for certain reasons? Fair enough, it's not gonna appeal to everyone, and we don't mind if you dislike it. But saying it should be gone so you can have another work is crossing a different line altogether.

No. Self entitlement is the belief that you and or your view/opinion matters more than anybody elses. You are not obligated to consider the feelings of others when sharing your opinion. Thats the purpose of opinion. "Sonic comic are terrible and anybody who reads them has low IQ", That is entitled

If I remember correctly from Lost Hedgehog Tales, that was due to last minute publisher interference. That was meant to be a three part arc with Team Freedom, Team Fighters, and Secret Freedom Fighters, until Archie interfered because they wanted #242 to be a Olympic tie in issue that would be given away at McDonalds.

"Sonic comic are terrible and anybody who reads them has low IQ", That is entitled

Naw man, thats just called being a plain asshole. 

Entitled would be "Modern Sonic should be banned because I hate his design". Basically comes down to "This should be got rid ot/cancelled/banned because I dont like it and nothing else".

Edited by Mikyeong

if we are going to talk about entitlement it should be noted that he is entitled to his opinion. I dont see anything wrong with it from that sense.

I would also like to argue that its a bit different to say "I think it should be canceled" from "I demand it to be canceled". Just my thoughts though.

Edited by PandoloFox

No. Self entitlement is the belief that you and or your view/opinion matters more than anybody elses. You are not obligated to consider the feelings of others when sharing your opinion. Thats the purpose of opinion. "Sonic comic are terrible and anybody who reads them has low IQ", That is entitled

Which Is what you just did in stating something to be canceled because you don't like it.

And stating someone to have low IQ for reading it is just being a dick.