Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

If I had a dollar for every time someone laughed at me for saying I like Sonic 06 and Shadow's game, well, I'd probably buy every copy of those games I could find. >:P

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Toa Axis said:

Some people just have an extremely hard time accepting opinions that differ from the norm. Wish I could knock some sense into them sometimes.

I shit you not, I crippled a forum with that opinion.Currently healing tho. Just ask Mors. Boy did I screw up.

19 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Spoiler
Spoiler

19 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

I shit you not, I crippled a forum with that opinion.Currently healing tho. Just ask Mors. Boy did I screw up.

Some people need to get a grip. Sheesh.

Sorry about the post setup BTW. Mobile shenanigans that left me in a panic. Mobile is unreliable.

EDIT: Oh god this one is messed up now. help

Really unpopular, I'm perfectly okay with Tails taking a back seat during Sonic's adventures. To be honest I never really felt like Sonic needed a sidekick. I prefer Tails just helping Sonic with the Tornado if he needs to fly or building a little contraption to help out when the situation calls for it.

Another thing, I really have always wanted Knuckles to be the "standard" player 2. Not saying he should be a sidekick at all, but what I'm saying is if this series ever gets to the point where it's normal for a second playable character in every game, kind of like how Mario fans never need to worry whether or not Luigi will be playable in the next Mario game, if we could have our Sonic version I'd want it to be Knuckles. I've always loved his skillset, and have always found him the most fun to use. Tails' flying has always made him the most boring character to play in the games where there's multiple characters, at least in my opinion. He's just so easy. He was fun to play in SA1 but that's because his flying was so strong (but this is coming from someone who generally loves OP abilities.) It comes as a double edged sword since you can just fly over all the fun. Though this can be applied to Knuckles somewhat if his gliding is very strong, but they could make it work. Blaze could glide in Rush and she was always great.

I've always loved how Knuckles was introduced as a tough guy who's basically as good as Sonic, in his own way at least. He's basically the og Shadow, which is kind of strange to say. Knuckles is more than capable of handling himself and holding his own, and the little bits of cockiness he displays like in Lost World when he tells Sonic he could have wrapped things up sooner. Idk I really wish he would've stayed as relevant as he was back in the day.

I also just really like how Knuckles and Sonic look together, I feel like they compliment each others designs really really well. Not that Tails doesn't but idk I just prefer Knuckles.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that for me personally, I'd rather have Knuckles as player 2 instead of Tails. Tails can still keep his sidekick dynamic, Knux doesn't even need to be ever present in the story. But as an unlockable after beating the game or something? Definitely yes. I'm the guy who'd always choose to play Sonic & Knuckles over Sonic 3 if I had to, just to get a taste of the kind of person I am. I just really, really like Knuckles.

tumblr_nyixeyu0K81uxkvveo1_400.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

To be honest, Id like to see Sonic tag along with someone other then Tails for a whole game. For me it seems that SEGA forgets that Sonic has other friends to and that Tails is not the center of his universe, but lately, it seems that way.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

To be honest, Id like to see Sonic tag along with someone other then Tails for a whole game. For me it seems that SEGA forgets that Sonic has other friends to and that Tails is not the center of his universe, but lately, it seems that way.

Well, Tails is Sonic's best friend and sidekick (this does not mean that they're constantly together, though), so that's probably why he's the usual one to tag along. But it would be nice to see Knuckles or some other of Sonic's friends to come as well, but it's fine if Tails is still around.

A game where Sonic, Tails and Knuckles form Team Sonic again would be nice to see.

• Thumbs Up 8

9 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

Well they did do this with Sonic Unleashed but wasn't their a bad reaction to Tails' reduced role in that game. It seemed strange to me that Unleashed had Sonic with a new sidekick for pretty much the whole thing and then the next three games has Tails sticking closer to him than ever, I assumed negative reaction to Tails taking backseat in Unleashed was what resulted in that. Of course the fact that Chip was not that likable to most people didn't help.

Anyways, I agree. I'd love it if they had Sonic and one of the others teamed up for a whole game just to see some different dynamics. Actually seeing Sonic and Amy actually having extended conversations without Amy fawning over him would be interesting, I don't think they've really had much of an actual conversation unless its somewhere in Sonic Battle, and I wouldn't count Chronicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if I mentioned this here yet, but...overall, I really like Amy's stages from Sonic Adventure, despite their flaws and annoyances. I think the basic concept for them is actually really solid, and I usually get a lot of fun out of them - typically enough to outweigh the frustrations. It doesn't hurt that Amy's abilities are pretty neat.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't know if I mentioned this here yet, but...overall, I really like Amy's stages from Sonic Adventure, despite their flaws and annoyances. I think the basic concept for them is actually really solid, and I usually get a lot of fun out of them - typically enough to outweigh the frustrations. It doesn't hurt that Amy's abilities are pretty neat.

I can agree with that. I had a fun time with them.

I'm not sure on the majority's view on it, so I'm not sure if I should classify this opinion as "popular" or "unpopular", but I really enjoyed the Gamma stages in SA1. Better thsn the Mech stages in SA2 in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really loved Amy's stages. It's such a shame she only has 3. 

Her playstyle is so cool and unique too, so that's something I'd love to see return someday.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked Amy's stages aside from the fact she was a bit too slow. Her routes and gimmicks were actually probably the most developed after Sonic's. It's a shame she only got three stages.

And I LOVED Gamma's gameplay way more than mechs in SA2. The only downside was how dumbed down his stages often felt, with very short stages and mindlessly easy bosses. And again his mode should have been longer, especially since he only got one chance to shine.

Granted I don't know if that means much from me. I thought Big's gameplay was enjoyable enough.

• Thumbs Up 3

All right, I'm gonna say it.

I like the Deadly Six. I honestly thought they were very cool and interesting villains, yes I know they were stereotypical but you know what? That's what I liked about them, their cookie cutter personalities is what made them so entertaining with Zor's constant sulking, Zomom always being hungry and eating food, Zazz in general etc.

Not to mention they have very good and creative designs. I think the main problem people have with them is that they came out of nowhere but that's obviously the writing's fault, maybe we'll get a proper explanation in the future?

So yeah, I do want to see them again, not for this game but maybe in some future games with a backstory.

• Thumbs Up 6

On ‎20‎-‎01‎-‎2016 at 2:28 AM, Mikyeong said:

Yep. When you take a step back, the game itself is a massive insult to classic Sonic fans and to 2D Sonic games alike. 

You can almost say the same about Sonic Lost World and without a doubt Sonic Boom when it comes to the 3D games.

On ‎20‎-‎01‎-‎2016 at 3:42 PM, Mikyeong said:

Part of the problem is that whenever someone other than Tails shows up, the whiny part of the vocal fandom throws a hissy fit across the entire web. Kind of reminds me of the fat fool who spent ten minutes getting all bitching about how Amy being a part of Colors for the DS would ruin the entire game. She wasn't even playable for mooks sense.

The other part is that adding anyone else to the game would require Sonicteam to come up with a reason for them to be there, which would then mean the game would be needing story and Sonicteam don't think stories are needed in Sonic games.

Ok. So I'm preparing for shots fired. Here are my unpopular Sonic Opinions.

Shadow The Hedgehog, isn't a terrible game as some make out it is. It's story is terrible, and the language used in it shouldn't be in any Sonic game. But, the gameplay and music are pretty good.

Sonic Rush, is a terrible compared to the advance games and Rush Adventure. Don't get  me wrong but, I do like Rush, it's just not as great as a lot of people make out is. The level design is among some of the worst in the series and it is full of bottomless pits. I would like to see the game remastered on the next gen nintendo handheld,as it could have been the best ever handheld Sonic game, with better level designs and other playable characters as Unlockables.

I must be the only one, who doesn't hate Sonic Chronicle's gameplay, and the music. It was my first RPG game and had fun playing the game, the puzzles were a pain in the ass I have to admit. Now for the music, it's pretty bad but I didn't mind listening to it. Angel Island and one of the boss themes were decent.  Probably has the worst soundtrack for any game in the franchise, but I have heard a lot worst.

And it would be cool if we got another Sonic RPG. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, JetTheHawk said:

Ok. So I'm preparing for shots fired. Here are my unpopular Sonic Opinions.

Shadow The Hedgehog, isn't a terrible game as some make out it is. It's story is terrible, and the language used in it shouldn't be in any Sonic game. But, the gameplay and music are pretty good.

I actually have to agree with you on this, at least to an extent. Now, by no means do I think this is a good game, and the fact that I grew up with it may have something to do with why I feel this way, but I do think the game isn't as bad as some believe it to be. Its presentation is absolutely terrible, but when you look purely at the gameplay (feel free to disagree with what I'm about to say, it's just my opinion), its a bit like Sonic Heroes with the teamwork mechanic replaced with a shooting mechanic. Okay, it's not exactly the same by any means, and the way he attacks (without a weapon) and spin-dashes are completely different, but the way Shadow controls when he's running, the feel of his homing attack, his wall jump, they all feel like a modified version of his controls in Sonic Heroes, at least to me, and while Heroes has its fair share of haters, I've yet to come across anyone that feels it's in the same league as Sonic '06.

The level design here, while not great, is still better than what you'd find in Sonic"06 for the most part, and some of the missions (the ones that don't involve just "kill x amount of enemies") are even kind of enjoyable. I also kind of like the shooting mechanic. For the most part, Shadow does a pretty good job of auto aiming, and some weapons are really good for running-and-gunning without really having to slow down. Overall, I'd consider Shadow the Hedgehog, from a gameplay perspective, to be... adequate. Far from great, far from terrible, just kind of mediocre, much like Sonic Heroes.

I personally think the main reason Heroes is generally seen in a better light than Shadow is that Heroes knows what it wants to be, and is consistent about it. Heroes knows it's a Sonic game, and not just any Sonic game, but a Sonic game that, tonally and visually, is like a throwback to the Genesis games. It knows it's a bright, cheery game about "the REAL super power of TEAMWORK!" and sticks with being that. Shadow, on the other hand, doesn't really seem to know what it wants to be. I mean, it tries to be the opposite of a Sonic game by having realistic guns and vehicles (even though Shadow should have no need for either), swearing and grimdark stages, which are things that obviously don't belong in a Sonic game. The game also wants to have a bunch of branching story paths so you can choose Shadow's destiny. 

However, it doesn't really want to go all the way with any of that. Why have realistic guns if no one's going to bleed (or, in the case of the humans, even die) when you shoot them? The game has swearing, and quite a bit of it, but keeps it very mild, and sometimes arbitrarily decides to not have any (the cutscenes at the Lava Shelter display a particularly glaring instance of this). It has alternate story paths, but in the end none of them matter, because you can't change the ending of Shadow's story, removing all the fun of choosing one story path over the other (not to mention some of the missions you have to go through are really tedious). The game also has random loop-de-loops here and there, goofy Egg Pawns in some of the stages, and, of course, some of that classic Sonic cheesiness from the blue blur himself (except, instead of being fun like in Sonic Adventure, it's just cringeworthy here) because it suddenly remembers it's still technically a Sonic game. The game wants to appeal to Sonic fans, but it also wants to be like... I don't know, GTA or something. Throw in some absolutely abysmal writing and you end up with a game not many will be willing to defend.

If the game was simply a continuation of Adventure 2's story from Shadow's perspective, I'm sure it would've been better liked overall. Make the tone darker, make the environments more realistic, but keep them semi-bright like in A2, have Shadow use Chaos Spear instead of guns (and have the "ammo" be how much Chaos Energy he has to use the ability), and improve the writing and voila! Gameplay wise, it's more or less the same, but now it's more of a Sonic game that people can enjoy. Hell, even keep the alternate story paths, just go all the way with the concept (the game did not need a confusing "final story" to render the other endings non-canon, they could have just made the whole game non-canon. After all, Chronicles is non-canon, but a lot of people still seem to enjoy the story in that game). I don't think it would have been remembered as a great Sonic game, but I'm sure it would have fared better than the game in its current state.

Wow, that ended up being a long one, huh? Anyway, those are my complete personal thoughts on Shadow the Hedgehog and why it's often considered to be a bad Sonic game. Do I personally enjoy playing the game? Yeah, actually. The game is just passable enough from a gameplay perspective that I can sit down with someone and make fun of the game as I play it (certainly a lot more easily than with Sonic '06, which is just frustrating to play). The game we ended up with may not be good, but that certainly doesn't stop me from having fun with it nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, JetTheHawk said:

Sonic Rush, is a terrible compared to the advance games and Rush Adventure. Don't get  me wrong but, I do like Rush, it's just not as great as a lot of people make out is. The level design is among some of the worst in the series and it is full of bottomless pits. I would like to see the game remastered on the next gen nintendo handheld,as it could have been the best ever handheld Sonic game, with better level designs and other playable characters as Unlockables.

Yeah I have to agree to this. I find Sonic Rush to be mediocre at its core. The music is cool but then there is a poor level design, the boost mechanic being shallow, the cheap deaths, and the piss poor physics again mixed with the boost is more automated then skill centered. I find no replayablity factor in Sonic Rush and at least Adventure had some.   

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's an opinion, or rather a mind set plan of mine.

I would like Ryan to voice adventure games only

Jason to voice every other game that is not Adventure titles

And Roger to voice the Boom titles only.

But sadly, I don't own SEGA, nor is SEGA own by Mr.Ritchoutthe A. WarBucks

Corey Bringas is probably my least favourite actor for Tails. I get many like him for actually sounding the character's age and gender, but he was so emotionless and static, he read a lot of his lines in SA2 like-he-was-read-ing-off-of-a-cue-card. I feel this is why they often aim for professional female actresses since they can aim for a greater level of emotional range than inexperienced child actors. Even without that, I wasn't much for having a generic kid voice, I like all the characters sounding unique.

Currently I think Colleen Villard is doing a good enough job with Tails. She gives him character quirks and has a professional range, but does a decent enough job sounding like young boy.

On 21 January 2016 at 4:34 PM, Dan-Dude said:

All right, I'm gonna say it.

I like the Deadly Six. I honestly thought they were very cool and interesting villains, yes I know they were stereotypical but you know what? That's what I liked about them, their cookie cutter personalities is what made them so entertaining with Zor's constant sulking, Zomom always being hungry and eating food, Zazz in general etc.

Not to mention they have very good and creative designs. I think the main problem people have with them is that they came out of nowhere but that's obviously the writing's fault, maybe we'll get a proper explanation in the future?

So yeah, I do want to see them again, not for this game but maybe in some future games with a backstory.

I thought they were decent too. I mean they're not exactly three dimensional, but they had a whole lot more character than most of the other alternative villains. I like they were more on even footing with Eggman too, not just the bigger, sinister more competent one that swats him out of top baddie position. They both struggled for control and relied on exploiting circumstances to outdo the other. If Sonic hadn't intervened, they would still be under Eggman's control, and if Sonic hadn't done it again, Eggman wouldn't have usurped their position. Even at that their conquest was more methodical than other rampaging monsters of before, using Eggman's machinery to do their bidding.

I'd like to see this more, the different villains fighting and conniving for a power play rather than the very strict hierarchy of 'sinister villain' and 'comic relief villain' that was dominant in most previous games. It's one of the things I found more appealing about the pre reboot Archie comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with the Backbone ports of the Classic Sonic games. I dunno, I heard they were crap, but from what I played, it still felt like Sonic.

The only major difference I've seen is graphically, the game looks like it's made of watercolor paint.

I think the partner system gimmick was a cool addition to Sonic Advance 3, and it's the reason I enjoy that game the most of the Advance trilogy, in spite of the game's level design. It added replay value to the game for spicing up levels and boss fights with each character combo you chose. 

I know it won't happen, but it would be cool to see this system reused in another game at some point. It would give some nice variety to people sick of sola sonica and allow Sonic to interact with characters other than tails, and other characters with each other. 

• Thumbs Up 6

"Sonic Advance is the true Sonic 4!"

No. As much as it's closer than the title we actually got called "Sonic 4", I still think it's far from a worthy successor. It barely does anything new or adds anything new other than extended movesets and Amy as a playable character (the best part of the game honestly as it's a new spin). I find this game pretty bland other than a few levels (Casino Paradise and especially the amazing Ice Mountain). After Ice Mountain I feel like I have to fight to not turn the game off as Angel Island and the Egg Rocket/Cosmic Angel zones are so dull to play. 

While Advance 3 has messier level design, I find the partner system, better bosses (mostly), and more variety in levels and level gimmicks to be a lot more pleasing. It's not great, but I think it's good. I also think Advance 2 is slightly better than Advance 1 due to the new gameplay style at the time and helps it stand out. I always found Advance 1 just kind of "there".

Advance 3 is my favourite of the trilogy though, and I'd rather play it than Sonic Rush (but not Rush Adventure).

I also believe, with regards to the Advance games more than the Rush games perhaps, that part of the high reception was the same as Sonic 4 Episode 1, where people were just happy to have a new 2D Sonic that has a "2D classic" style aesthetic after 3D games like SA2 and Heroes. If they came out now, I think the reception would be slightly closer to Sonic 4 Episode 2 where the criticisms would be more glaring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular: I don't mind it when Sonic is depicted (in artwork or whatever) as closing just his pupils and not his eyes - in fact, I kind of like it. It just looks, well, cute. And I mean, so much of Sonic's design doesn't exactly make sense (migrating mouth, mono-eye), so I really don't think it's too excessively strange.

• Thumbs Up 9

I dunno if it's because of how much I like orchestral movie scores, but I don't hate the soundtrack for Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric.

Yeah, I understand and see (well, technically, hear) what people mean when people say it's "bland" and "forgettable", but there are some tracks that I legitimately hum to and I remember some of the melodies. Call me a person with no taste in music or whatever, but I don't hate this soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

I dunno if it's because of how much I like orchestral movie scores, but I don't hate the soundtrack for Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric.

Yeah, I understand and see (well, technically, hear) what people mean when people say it's "bland" and "forgettable", but there are some tracks that I legitimately hum to and I remember some of the melodies. Call me a person with no taste in music or whatever, but I don't hate this soundtrack.

Agreed. In fact, not only do I not hate the soundtrack, but there is one track I love: the second track for the Abandoned Research Facility, in the area where you play as Sonic and Tails. It's fast, it's hummable, and it fits the area very, very well.

• Thumbs Up 2