Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

1 minute ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Agreed. In fact, not only do I not hate the soundtrack, but there is one track I love: the second track for the Abandoned Research Facility, in the area where you play as Sonic and Tails. It's fast, it's hummable, and it fits the area very, very well.

Good to know somebody agrees with me! ^_^

Another opinion people might not agree with, is that Travis Willingham is my favorite voice for Knuckles. I don't know if it's because I heard him the most because of the Boom cartoon, but I really enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

I dunno if it's because of how much I like orchestral movie scores, but I don't hate the soundtrack for Sonic Boom: Rise Of Lyric.

Yeah, I understand and see (well, technically, hear) what people mean when people say it's "bland" and "forgettable", but there are some tracks that I legitimately hum to and I remember some of the melodies. Call me a person with no taste in music or whatever, but I don't hate this soundtrack.

1 minute ago, Failinhearts said:

Good to know somebody agrees with me! ^_^

Another opinion people might not agree with, is that Travis Willingham is my favorite voice for Knuckles. I don't know if it's because I heard him the most because of the Boom cartoon, but I really enjoy it.

Dude, count me in on the RoL music lovetrain!

I can understand that the orchestra score being the only genre in the game can be weary on most people but the music has such a good atmosphere to the levels that's very fitting to the context of the level itself.

The main theme perfectly captures the sense of adventure but with a good emphasis on excitement, fun and other youthful terms!

Also I LOVE Shadow and Metal's boss themes and also including the second part of ARF.

Travis has definitely became my top favorite Knux voice, in fact after watching Boom, the current voice cast has became my TOP favorite set of actors. Yes, even Thornton. I've grown to really love the growl he gives to Shadow, it's strangely arousing.....

k, i'll stop now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Willingham's a great Knuckles, though truthfully I would be convinced they just let Dan Green stay if they hadn't told me, he's a very good soundalike.

The only voices I'm not sure about right now are Thornton (as Shadow, he's great as Orbot though) and Robinson (though she's gotten a LOT better as Amy, she's a bit too shrill and old sounding for my tastes).

Truthfully I would love to see Boom continue and for more of the games cast to get used partly for this reason. The show gives the voiceovers a lot of time to fine tune their roles, especially since it loves vocal exercises (eg. Eggman and Sonic having each other's voices, while pretending to be themselves).

Concerning the blinking eyeballs, it worked great on classic Sonic since he was pretty much a nod to old style cartoons like Mickey Mouse with floating pupils anyway.

Here's one. I actually want to see more of Big. Like a prominent role. It's nice to see him reappearing odd times to debunk his supposed 'retirement' (eg. Runners) but I actually want to see him get a large role again. He's endearing to me, and Heroes shows he can have a unique gameplay feel while still being a fun and 'Sonic-like' playable character. 

Oh, and the comics need to have Bigally moments again XD:

Bigally2.jpg

Hey, at least Big's less liable to get a visit from Chris Hansen than Geoffery. :P

• Thumbs Up 5

So I've heard people saying that AoStH was a better comedy Sonic cartoon than Boom, so I watched all the episodes. I liked AoStH but I can't say with confidence that it's better than Boom in terms of comedy.

I guess, AoStH is more like a Sonic cartoon since he's still actively fighting against Eggman/Robotnik (who gives a crap?) and is still portrayed as an action hero while in Boom, both Sonic and Eggman are more like citizens in a village and the fights are usually Eggman being the bully who knows how to make robots and when they aren't fighting, they chill, hang with friends (well atleast Sonic does, Orbot and Cubot are more slaves than friends :P) and do their own thing like getting mail, hiring a new sidekick or reverse polarizing a black hole, you know basic, mundane activities. 

So I guess, AoStH succeeds in portraying the Sonic style better than Boom but Boom has laughing loudly several times while I get a decent chuckle out of AoStH. I stand that Boom's comedy is probably the best written comedy the series has yet to offer and the Boom writing team does so many styles of comedy as well while AoStH just does a lot of slapstick, Sonic wearing goofy outfits (and crossdresses too many times, which disturbs me) and Robotnik being absurdly over-the-top and stuff.

So at the end, AoStH has the Sonic style but Boom is very much the clear winner in comedy for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

So I've heard people saying that AoStH was a better comedy Sonic cartoon than Boom, so I watched all the episodes. I liked AoStH but I can't say with confidence that it's better than Boom in terms of comedy.

I guess, AoStH is more like a Sonic cartoon since he's still actively fighting against Eggman/Robotnik (who gives a crap?) and is still portrayed as an action hero while in Boom, both Sonic and Eggman are more like citizens in a village and the fights are usually Eggman being the bully who knows how to make robots and when they aren't fighting, they chill, hang with friends (well atleast Sonic does, Orbot and Cubot are more slaves than friends :P) and do their own thing like getting mail, hiring a new sidekick or reverse polarizing a black hole, you know basic, mundane activities. 

So I guess, AoStH succeeds in portraying the Sonic style better than Boom but Boom has laughing loudly several times while I get a decent chuckle out of AoStH. I stand that Boom's comedy is probably the best written comedy the series has yet to offer and the Boom writing team does so many styles of comedy as well while AoStH just does a lot of slapstick, Sonic wearing goofy outfits (and crossdresses too many times, which disturbs me) and Robotnik being absurdly over-the-top and stuff.

So at the end, AoStH has the Sonic style but Boom is very much the clear winner in comedy for me.

I mostly agree with you on this, though I don't know if I'd say that Adventures captures the Sonic "style" any better than Sonic Boom does. Yes, it does feature the classic Sonic vs. Eggman setup with the two being bitter enemies, which is something people are more likely to expect out of Sonic than the two pretty much being frenemies, and the show is more action and adventure based (hence the title, I guess). However, it still doesn't really feel much like Sonic to me. The settings are pretty much completely random and surreal, and it doesn't seem like there's really much thought put into any of them, which isn't something I expect out of Sonic. Meanwhile, Sonic himself feels very much like a Bugs Bunny knockoff rather than a real interpretation of the character. I know they didn't have much to work with in the nineties, as there wasn't really much fully established yet, but, for the record, I find the settings from the OVA and Sonic's personality from SatAM to be much closer to what I would expect out of the series, even today, than anything in AoStH.

Like you said, the humor in Adventures is very slapstick based (which I don't find particularly fitting for Sonic, anyway), and I feel that even bleeds into the action scenes, which I think kind of negates the fact that Adventures is more action-based than Sonic Boom. Now, unlike you, I haven't seen every episode, so you can tell me if there are any exceptions, but, in all the episodes I've seen, just about every action scene seems to be purely slapstick based without any kind of tension. Now, Sonic Boom's action scenes generally lack tension, too, but, to me, they still feel more like Sonic fight scenes since they generally play the battles more straight with humorous banter thrown in, like a smaller scale version of many of the boss battles in the games.

So, that's my two cents on that. Basically, I feel that both cartoons capture the Sonic "style" in different ways, with neither really being any better than the other in that regard. Sonic Boom has the better and more varied humor, though, so, like you said, as a comedy cartoon it wins easily.

I feel like Boom's aesthetics are WAY closer to being Sonic-like. The designs, the backdrop and many callbacks to the games (and even other TV shows) are much more loyal, while AoSth retooled nearly everything to look way more surreal and, like nearly every other western incarnation at the time, almost completely different from the games universe. It does follow a more climatic action series format more (having the twenty minute length probably helps), but even then it distracts from it with comedy a lot as well. While Boom Sonic is distracted by sitcom banter, AoSth Sonic uses Looney Tunes antics and disguises, and while Boom Eggman is a low key frienemy, AoSth is a standard 'evil for evil's sake' 80s villain.

One positive aspect between both show I feel is under appreciated is that both of them are among the very few interpretations that aren't remotely pretentious. Sure, there are times they think they're FUNNIER than they really are, but they never suffer an identity crisis like the other medias or pretend there's way more depth or substance to either show than there really is. They're also two of the few interpretations where none of it's central cast is bland or forgotten about.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I mostly agree with you on this, though I don't know if I'd say that Adventures captures the Sonic "style" any better than Sonic Boom does. Yes, it does feature the classic Sonic vs. Eggman setup with the two being bitter enemies, which is something people are more likely to expect out of Sonic than the two pretty much being frenemies, and the show is more action and adventure based (hence the title, I guess). However, it still doesn't really feel much like Sonic to me. The settings are pretty much completely random and surreal, and it doesn't seem like there's really much thought put into any of them, which isn't something I expect out of Sonic. Meanwhile, Sonic himself feels very much like a Bugs Bunny knockoff rather than a real interpretation of the character. I know they didn't have much to work with in the nineties, as there wasn't really much fully established yet, but, for the record, I find the settings from the OVA and Sonic's personality from SatAM to be much closer to what I would expect out of the series, even today, than anything in AoStH.

Like you said, the humor in Adventures is very slapstick based (which I don't find particularly fitting for Sonic, anyway), and I feel that even bleeds into the action scenes, which I think kind of negates the fact that Adventures is more action-based than Sonic Boom. Now, unlike you, I haven't seen every episode, so you can tell me if there are any exceptions, but, in all the episodes I've seen, just about every action scene seems to be purely slapstick based without any kind of tension. Now, Sonic Boom's action scenes generally lack tension, too, but, to me, they still feel more like Sonic fight scenes since they generally play the battles more straight with humorous banter thrown in, like a smaller scale version of many of the boss battles in the games.

So, that's my two cents on that. Basically, I feel that both cartoons capture the Sonic "style" in different ways, with neither really being any better than the other in that regard. Sonic Boom has the better and more varied humor, though, so, like you said, as a comedy cartoon it wins easily.

Oh, trust me. I definitely got some extreme Looney Tunes vibes from AoStH, heck the credit sequence is your typical Roadrunner/Coyote scenario. AoStH is heavily inspired from Looney Tunes though I guess if you're ripping off something, atleast rip it from the best. 

And yeah, the very abstract and random shapes and stuff in AoStH are just so extremely un-Sonic. I'd take Dessert Ruins over this anyday! And super big (though not really) spoilers, all the action scenes in AoStH are slapstick. It's gets extremely tiring.

Truthfully I thought the slapstick action of both AoSth and Boom was more interesting than the standard action in X or Satam. Yeah it got kinda monotonous when it overlapped into more the standard humour (eg. Sonic using Bugs Bunny disguises in AoSth) but when they use actual fighting or action moments, I actually think the more cartoony setup gives it more character. Most of the more serious fighting scenes in X or the comics or whatnot was actually executed in a way that made it more generic and repetitive (and ironically was often even more one sided).

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

Oh, trust me. I definitely got some extreme Looney Tunes vibes from AoStH, heck the credit sequence is your typical Roadrunner/Coyote scenario. AoStH is heavily inspired from Looney Tunes though I guess if you're ripping off something, atleast rip it from the best. 

And yeah, the very abstract and random shapes and stuff in AoStH are just so extremely un-Sonic. I'd take Dessert Ruins over this anyday! And super big (though not really) spoilers, all the action scenes in AoStH are slapstick. It's gets extremely tiring.

Just as I figured. That's largely why I stopped watching that show (outside of the overly surreal and rather lazy visuals), despite feeling that some episodes were actually pretty good: the slapstick is pretty much all AoStH knows how to do. At least Sonic Boom looks nice, doesn't feel like a ripoff, and makes me want to see what silliness is going to go down in the next episode. Adventures just makes me feel like once you've seen a few episodes, you've pretty much seen them all.

Some of the better episodes are when Tails was the main focus, since those were the most adorable ones. Like one episode, Scratch and Grounder had a device that turns people into stone (I think?) they were about to shoot Tails but Sonic took the hit instead. The rest of the episode was about how Tails manages to free Sonic, outwit the dumbbots on his own and overall, goes a bit more into Tails' character. It was just adorable to watch Tails grow up. :3

But Boom's variety in episodes helps create some sort of longevity than AoStH since AoStH gets pretty formulaic at times but in Boom, one episode you have Knuckles having a wild dream where he meets talking peppers, another Amy starts a restaurant and another where Metal Sonic appears, does awesome stuff and disappears.

While I do find Boom to be my top favorite Sonic cartoon overall, it can be better. But making it into SatAM isn't the way to go, it can do an adventure arc but keeping its well established tone is what Freiberger and the crew should go for.

• Thumbs Up 3

A few random level based ones:

People seem to go crazy for Generations Rooftop Run. Honestly the Classic one is my least favourite level in the game (yes, I prefer Planet Wisp to this) and Modern's is sort of in the middle for me. I think the Classic one has some annoying pacing issues and cheap hits all over the place, while Modern's is pretty good but doesn't stand out compared to the wide open playing field of Seaside Hill or even Speed Highway somewhat, or the revamped version of Crisis City. It doesn't help that the best part of the original Rooftop Run, the clock tower climb, was just a run up it and completely lost the build up from Unleashed's version.

Similarly, people seem to really like Cyber Track from Advance 3, but it's one of my less liked levels due to annoying pits everywhere and it always felt kind of samey to me. I like the boss more than the level, actually. I enjoy Chaos Angel more despite it being really long and difficult, that is a great final level (other than Act 3).

City Escape in SA2 is pretty damn good, but I always preferred Final Rush. It's really open.

Another fan favourite is Cool Edge, but I consider it one of the worst levels in Unleashed, despite the fact that it's the only stage until Eggmanland with actual level gimmicks. I play almost all the other Unleashed levels before this.

I like Sonic 06's graphics. Is it Unleashed quality? Hell no.

However, I really like the enviroments and the models on the animal characters look pretty damn good. My only gripes with Sonic 06 on the visual aspect are the humans model which look ugly, awkward and even kinda creepy. (I'm looking at you, Sonic Man)

But for the most part, I liked how 06 looks. Maybe that's the nostalgia talking, but yeah.

I understand the context behind Sonic's mountain of handkerchiefs wish at the end of Secret Rings, and I still think it's ridiculous.

I bring this up because from what I've heard, a lot of folk who poke fun at this scene apparently disregard or otherwise remain ignorant of the context of the scene. I don't do that, I know full well that Sonic's doing something to help with Shahra's feelings about what had happened with Erazor and all that (as well as it being a callback to the game's first scene). But it's still a little silly even with that in mind, and despite everything that led up to it, I can't really take it all that seriously.

3 hours ago, TheDeadpoolFanBoy said:

I'll be honest here, I actually really enjoyed Sonic's part in Sonic 06, Silver's part was okay I guess the best part is when you get to be Blaze her part was actually really fun! As for Shadow he's alright better than Silver, but not as good as Sonic. Going back to Silver, I kind of wish that Silver was given more love in that game, It was cool to play as him. But, I wish Sonic Team took advantage of Silver's abilities like you can be creative with his psychokinesis and make your own pathways and the like. So, in a nutshell, Sonic 06 had it's moments.

I do feel that '06 was SA1's concept better realised, with larger hub worlds and more developed branching character pathways, even if SA1 to me remains the more enjoyable game.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you guys know I pretty much hate the majority of Sonic And The Secret Rings. However, there are some things I find enjoyment in, one factor in particular people just forget about:

I enjoy the Party Mode. I like the variety in the ways to play, and a good portion of the mini-games were rather enjoyable for me. It's a shame that I have to keep playing through the actual Story Mode itself to get more characters.

I just want to play Silver, dang it!

• Thumbs Up 3

While I'm not the biggest fan of Sticks (and sorta in and out about her appearing some of the actual games) I admit I think she's done a better job acting as a unique fifth member of the team than Cream has.

One of the issues with Cream is that her personality largely revolves around being nice. There's not a lot of chemistry she's obtained with other characters, besides the whole 'older sibling protectiveness' thing, if anything she sometimes devolves other characters due to absorbing that positive trait from them, eg. Amy was more the heart originally. Even in terms of abilities, she's a mixed bag. She takes Tails defining special move of flying, and while Cheese is unique, he's an enormous game breaker with not a lot of weaknesses about the two. While play as Tails when you have a better version of him?

Sticks, while sometimes a bit on the annoying comic relief side, has more unique traits, and can foil or oppose other characters more. She contrasts Amy's more feminine side compared to Cream, and seems to have a bit of a rivalry thing with Tails due to her hatred of machinery. Her more abrasive attitude also makes her much more flawed, along with being far more willing to call people out on their own follies. Gameplay wise, while not that developed she has potential. Her boomerang could be considered a variation of Cheese, though at least it involves more manual input, and she doesn't steal as many abilities from other characters.

I guess this is pretty unpopular, but the talk of Cream being a 5th member of the team has brought this to mind.

Generally, I much prefer the characters going out on a solo adventure, as opposed to them being one super duper A-team that goes out and journeys together. I find that most of my favorite Sonic stories have Sonic out on his own, at least for a majority of the time. I've said earlier I never really felt like Sonic needed a partner in crime, being more than capable of handling most threats or whatever on his own with Tails just kind of showing up conveniently when Sonic needs a lift. 

This isn't to say I don't want more playable characters again. I like how Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic Advance 1 and 2 did it, the characters are out on their own (pretty much same) adventure, and I like it that way. I'm a huge fan of Sonic Heroes, and Advance 3, but I'm glad the partner and teammate stuff hasn't become a main stay. It's partly why I much prefer Sonic 4 ep 1 to 2. I loved how Sonic and Tails were pretty much forcefully separated in Sonic Adventure, I like solo short adventures like Sonic Pocket Adventure and Sonic CD. Things like that. So yeah, it's just my preference I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Sonic Chronicles, it's my 3rd fave (Unleashed 2nd and Heroes 1st) game in the series. I love the fact that you can't go 'Sonic runs through the stage in 3 seconds and it's like he's hyper in every fight'. NOPE! In the game, Sonic had the 3rd lowest attack and armor in game. There were only 3 things I didn't like in the game:

1. Tails is super weak in combat

2. Sonic refers to the Nocturnus clan as the Brotherhood and everyone seems to get what he says. It's also the ONLY time the clan was reffered like that in-game.

3. There is a SonAmy moment at the end. (a bit of one)

I love Big The Cat.

I hate Shadow.

Unpopular opinion: I really liked Amy's gameplay in Sonic Adventure DX

She was one character I really enjoyed playing as and I wish she had more stages or more bosses. MY favorite stage of hers is the Egg Carrier as I dig the level design and the abilities used are great for speedruns. The only part I do not like is the "pick a door" part. Hot Shelter is also a good one to and I do like it's puzzles. With the abilities and all the shortcuts you can do, I think Amy is really fun to play as in this game.

Also, another unpopular opinion is that I really don't think she's all that painfully slow, well compared to the likes of Big and Silver.  She doesn't really feel like the slowest character in the game. Maybe it's just me and I haven't payed much attention to how Tails moves but I found him to be slower. Plus, Amy can be fast if you use the jumping abilities at the right time. Yeah my gameplay is pretty amateur but here's my example:

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Unpopular opinion: I really liked Amy's gameplay in Sonic Adventure DX

She was one character I really enjoyed playing as and I wish she had more stages or more bosses. MY favorite stage of hers is the Egg Carrier as I dig the level design and the abilities used are great for speedruns. The only part I do not like is the "pick a door" part. Hot Shelter is also a good one to and I do like it's puzzles. With the abilities and all the shortcuts you can do, I think Amy is really fun to play as in this game.

Also, another unpopular opinion is that I really don't think she's all that painfully slow, well compared to the likes of Big and Silver.  She doesn't really feel like the slowest character in the game. Maybe it's just me and I haven't payed much attention to how Tails moves but I found him to be slower. Plus, Amy can be fast if you use the jumping abilities at the right time. Yeah my gameplay is pretty amateur but here's my example:

I liked Amy's gameplay very much too.

You might wanna replay Tails' levels though, he's super fast. His speed caps at the same as Sonic's (Amy's speed really runs through going up steps though). Tails' speed is especially noticeable in the air once you get the Jet Anklet.

• Thumbs Up 3

I like Amy's levels (par a couple tedious puzzles), they were the most developed after Sonic's, it could have used more than three of them (she could have easily had a variation of Speed Highway the same time Sonic goes in). I do think she's a bit too slow however, even Big seems faster due to size difference. She didn't need to be Sonic's speed, just a more reasonable pace, like Gamma's walking speed.

1 hour ago, monkokaio said:

(Amy's speed really runs through going up steps though). 

I noticed that too, in fact I think a few of the characters gain speed going upwards. While I love playing SA1, it had some really odd physics in places.

Unpopular opinion, Tails' levels, while not bad, seemed the dullest and most undeveloped to me. They were just truncated versions of Sonic's, but with loads of boost rings so you could more or less break the level and skip most of the fun. Speed Highway wasn't too bad due to better implementation of short cuts and a more unique path way, but even then the constant racing AI made it feel more like a mini game than a proper level.

• Thumbs Up 4

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Silver ruins Blaze as a character, in fact I'm kinda baffled how people use Silver as a scapegoat for why Blaze was so out of character in Sonic 06

I mean, yes I am not going to deny that Blaze felt more like a charm bracelet in the game, I will not deny that..... however it is NOT Silver's fault. It's the fault of the game's terrible writing. The writing of all of the character interactions of that game were fucking terrible and this one is no different. Everything in that game was rushed and nothing was ever thought out. All the character actions written in the game's code were twice as dumb as well, but it blows my mind how people blame a fictional character for all this noise. 

another unpopular opinion is that I do believe with proper writing, they can be friends. They have potential to be friends, the writers just need to be conpetant in doing so. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Rouge and Omega are more interesting than Shadow.

Vector and Charmy are more interesting than Espio.

Modern Tails is "cuter" then Classic Tails.

I don't hate Blaze and Silver but I also don't like how much they're pushed in this series. 

No one's going to top that.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Silver ruins Blaze as a character, in fact I'm kinda baffled how people use Silver as a scapegoat for why Blaze was so out of character in Sonic 06

I mean, yes I am not going to deny that Blaze felt more like a charm bracelet in the game, I will not deny that..... however it is NOT Silver's fault. It's the fault of the game's terrible writing. The writing of all of the character interactions of that game were fucking terrible and this one is no different. Everything in that game was rushed and nothing was ever thought out. All the character actions written in the game's code were twice as dumb as well, but it blows my mind how people blame a fictional character for all this noise. 

another unpopular opinion is that I do believe with proper writing, they can be friends. They have potential to be friends, the writers just need to be conpetant in doing so. 

I admit I like how some of the later games still write them as friends and sort of like a more alien friendly rival team for Sonic and co, though it'd be nice if they'd give some sensical reason for it since Blaze from what I know was retconned back to being from the Sol Dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1