Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Just now, Detective Reptiles said:

At most, you could see the Robotnik gag as a nod to lore, but I don't know if that even applies to all regions. 

Nope, it was absent in the Japanese version. The joke was kept in the European dubs, but that's that.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weird Opinion: Based on my memories of watching it, I kinda think Sonic Underground could have been a decent show if they had made a lot of changes, such as:

1: making the songs less annoying/removed them/less frequent.

2: focused more on character development between Sonic, Manic, and Sonia and the culture clashes in terms of their backgrounds and overcoming their differences.

3: made Robotnik more of an actual threat/at least more interesting character-wise.

4: Had less filler/more focus on actually finishing the series.

5: Less ugly designs please!

Granted I doubt it would be considered in the same tier as Adventures or SatAM due to nostalgia or perceived decrease in terms of quality compared to them, but at least it might have turned out better than it is right now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Underground is just a very bizarre take on Sonic, I could see the possibility for it to work but I feel it would be beneficial if the show is self-aware on how odd it is so it would be cool to see some super bizarre things the team can do. But nope, just had to rehash the same setup as SatAM but 100% more ridiculous and cringe-worthy songs.

Agasp! Curb thine tongue, peasant! "Being a Kid is Cool" is an underrated masterpiece worthy of the finest splendor!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Agasp! Curb thine tongue, peasant! "Being a Kid is Cool" is an underrated masterpiece worthy of the finest splendor!

Nuh-uh! Who I Am is so great, SEGA couldn't get the rights to use the song! Now that's some good shit right there fam!

3 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

Underground is just a very bizarre take on Sonic, I could see the possibility for it to work but I feel it would be beneficial if the show is self-aware on how odd it is so it would be cool to see some super bizarre things the team can do. But nope, just had to rehash the same setup as SatAM but 100% more ridiculous and cringe-worthy songs.

I've only seen a couple episodes of Underground, and I don't remember the songs, but I've heard a lot about how bad and cringy the songs are. However, with how good the songs are in the games, I kind of think a musical Sonic series could be fun if, you know, the songs were good.

Just now, Hyper Enesephus said:

I've only seen a couple episodes of Underground, and I don't remember the songs, but I've heard a lot about how bad and cringy the songs are. However, with how good the songs are in the games, I kind of think a musical Sonic series could be fun if, you know, the songs were good.

Nah fam, just give me a Just Dance: Sonic Edition and we'll be just fine or heck, maybe a Sonic/Space Channel 5 crossover game would be acceptable as well. A musical TV series, nah fam. Only Boom could get away with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, True Detective Soni said:

Nah fam, just give me a Just Dance: Sonic Edition and we'll be just fine or heck, maybe a Sonic/Space Channel 5 crossover game would be acceptable as well. A musical TV series, nah fam. Only Boom could get away with that.

I dunno, If I could get a song as good as Open Your Heart or Reach For the Stars in every episode of a Sonic cartoon...

For what it's worth I do feel Underground at least fine tuned parts of the Satam dynamic to work a bit better.

* Robotnik was a tyrant who wanted power, fear and worship from living minions as well as just turning rebels into robots. This fit his narcissistic characterisation better than the 'pollute the world and destroy everyone but me' goal he had in Satam.

* The sibling's dynamic was more even handed. They all had characteristics and foibles that could make or break a plan and tended to even out each other, compared to the Sally/Sonic/Antoine dynamic where there was usually this very strict hierarchy of competence, at least in Season Two.

* Sonic drifted around the world to achieve his goals rather than sitting in one area, which not only fit his character a bit better and helped emphasise Robotnik had control over the planet, but allowed for more world building. It also felt like the supporting cast were more developed and less superficial than the Satam lot (anyone remember Bunnie or the Wolf Pack doing that much?).

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, True Detective Soni said:

Not that I have any opinion on Underground other than aggressive indifference, but I feel like self-awareness is insanely overrated. I respect shows that commit to their concepts, no matter how insane or absurd, way more than shows that're like "Yeah we're pretty dumb huh?"

Just now, Singapore Sling said:

Not that I have any opinion on Underground other than aggressive indifference, but I feel like self-awareness is insanely overrated. I respect shows that commit to their concepts, no matter how insane or absurd, way more than shows that're like "Yeah we're pretty dumb huh?"

I get that but I don't mean the cynical type of self-awareness but like the over-the-top as fuck amazing type of ridiculousness, because let's be honest Underground's concepts are pretty ridiculous. Sonic has sibling recolors, his mom is a queen and they fight Robotnik with weaponized instruments you can't honestly tell me you can take that seriously, I mean sure you can try but I doubt it will be easy to convince the common viewer. So if the writers can go "fuck it!", let's just make this the most absurdly amazing cartoon we can make, I personally feel that could make the viewing better. You get what I'm saying?

I dunno, there're plenty of people who love Underground. Yu-Gi-Oh! has countless fans who take its mythology seriously and its based on a tradingu caado game as a weapon of great magic.

Anything can work as genuinely as you want as long as you write it earnestly. "General audience" types flock to boring milquetoast stuff anyway, so I give props to anyone who had a weird idea and decided to stick to his guns.

Here's an opinion you'd never hear anyone say...

"I don't like Sonic's design in Sonic CD's cut scene"

Now keep in mind, THIS ISN'T MINE, IMO, Sonic CD's Sonic, best looking classic Sonic....I just wanna see if anyone believes this of feels this way.....cause...wtf?

Unpopular for sure

Sonic 1's soundtrack has been my favorite in the genesis trilogy for a while now

I don't mind the homing attack in Sonic 4, what is really dumb are the homing attack chains that are required to cheat death

And Lost World's soundtrack is underappreciated

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I really like Sonic 1.

I love Sonic 1's engine because I love the idea of earning your speed vs it being given to you upfront. I like how I can use my skill to go up to certain paths and use the rolling and momentum to my advantage. I also really like the levels in the game and how they can go from bright and colorful to dark and tense. From a graphics point of view, I really like how they used the right amount of lighting to make the levels appear realistic rather than plastic. The soundtrack is also awesome as well and the music fits with the stages themselves; ie Starlight Zone's more crazy level design with more "get up and go" music to Scrap Brain's more suspenseful and tense tune. 

all and all; Sonic 1 rocks and more people should appericate that game.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Unpopular opinion: I really like Sonic 1.

I love Sonic 1's engine because I love the idea of earning your speed vs it being given to you upfront. I like how I can use my skill to go up to certain paths and use the rolling and momentum to my advantage. I also really like the levels in the game and how they can go from bright and colorful to dark and tense. From a graphics point of view, I really like how they used the right amount of lighting to make the levels appear realistic rather than plastic. The soundtrack is also awesome as well and the music fits with the stages themselves; ie Starlight Zone's more crazy level design with more "get up and go" music to Scrap Brain's more suspenseful and tense tune. 

all and all; Sonic 1 rocks and more people should appericate that game.

19 hours ago, Dashman said:

Unpopular for sure

Sonic 1's soundtrack has been my favorite in the genesis trilogy for a while now

I don't mind the homing attack in Sonic 4, what is really dumb are the homing attack chains that are required to cheat death

And Lost World's soundtrack is underappreciated

You guys are kidding right? Sonic 1 is seen as a holy grail, who would dis the VERY first in the series ?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

You guys are kidding right? Sonic 1 is seen as a holy grail, who would dis the VERY first in the series ?

Well, I wouldn't "diss" it or anything, but I certainly don't find it as fast or fun as the later games, 2D or 3D. Playing the game today just kind of bores me, honestly.

7 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, I wouldn't "diss" it or anything, but I certainly don't find it as fast or fun as the later games, 2D or 3D. Playing the game today just kind of bores me, honestly.

Well sure it ain't fast and fun like the newer, but it's still a fun platformer.

1 minute ago, WakanoBaka said:

Well sure it ain't fast and fun like the newer, but it's still a fun platformer.

it's fast, you just need to use your skills, not that automated stuff they hand to you in the modern games

What she said on the first part.....I'm afraid of the second tho...

Ahem, "fast or fun." It's perfectly fine if you guys still like it (I mean, it is the game that started it all), but I just don't find it very fun outside of Green Hill Zone and Star Light Zone. I wouldn't mind that the game isn't as fast as later entries, but I don't even think it's a fun platformer.

That's part of why I think Sonic 1 is underappreciated. I respect opinions yes, however it does feel like most people think the game is only fun because of Green Hill to where even Sonic Team has the same mentality.  

27 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

That's part of why I think Sonic 1 is underappreciated. I respect opinions yes, however it does feel like most people think the game is only fun because of Green Hill to where even Sonic Team has the same mentality.  

Correction, where even Sonic Team has that CURRENT mentality. Cause they NEVER originally did til after Unleashed/Black Knight era.

13 minutes ago, TheShadowFanBoy said:

Anyway I'm probably one of those Sonicfans who think that the Sonic Adventure games get way to much love, I mean they're both good games in different ways, but there is so many different flaws both games have.

You know now that you mention it, Adventure 1 I only really liked the Sonic stages. Tails was alright but the rest felt like a slog to get through. And can I use this time to bring up how I'm kinda disappointed with how they've handled Knuckles since? Feels like every game after the fact he gets stupider and stupider? I get that he's gullible but damn he's like fallen for the same trick since Sonic 3! And all he did for the Adventure games were go on glorified scavenger hunts.

On a semi related note how about them Sonic Adventure 1 faicial animations? :o

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, sMy_PANCAKES said:

You know now that you mention it, Adventure 1 I only really liked the Sonic stages. Tails was alright but the rest felt like a slog to get through. And can I use this time to bring up how I'm kinda disappointed with how they've handled Knuckles since? Feels like every game after the fact he gets stupider and stupider? I get that he's gullible but damn he's like fallen for the same trick since Sonic 3! And all he did for the Adventure games were go on glorified scavenger hunts.

On a semi related note how about them Sonic Adventure 1 faicial animations? :o

Best in the whole goddamned series.

WOAHAchaosemerald.jpg

You just can't replicate this kind of perfection.

• Thumbs Up 6