Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Least popular opinion I agree with?

The mach speed gimmick was much better than the boost gimmick, because mach speed emphasized life/death urgency scenarios and had a theatrical spectacle sensation whereas boost was infinite usage with no punishment for contact unless it was spikes or a trap.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

...because mach speed emphasized life/death urgency scenarios and had a theatrical spectacle sensation whereas boost was infinite usage with no punishment for contact unless it was spikes or a trap.

I think that might be the reason that opinion is unpopular,

On 3/29/2016 at 8:22 AM, E-122-Psi said:

In fairness, just about anyone in X who contradicted or doubted Sonic and refused to be his groupie was turned into a butt monkey. That was one of the most insufferable things about him in that incarnation. Even Boom Knuckles doesn't get shoehorned into the loser role as cruelly as X Knuckles and that's really saying something.

Boom knuckles was born in the looser role. 

He's boom knuckles, knuckles completely removed for anything that could make him cool, with a IMO bad design. That's an L if I ever saw one. 

Shadow in sonic boom has had 3 characters, they have changed 3 times to try and get that right. ( the 2nd time was a pretty goo direction) the show runners of the show admitteded they didn't even wanna use him because they didn't wanna screw him up. And they still kind of did, and odds are they are going to keep trying. They got toys coming out of the guy, they even dropped the obvious ass hint in 3ds version that at some point shadow is going to white ranger up. They probably have some event or some toys relying onhim being who is , and being popular while doing it 

But knuckles? Nah, that requires like chaos emeralds, and giving knuckles a character. And knuckles has been successfully divorced from that. Nah he's just dumb and strong. X knuckles may have lost fights, but at least in that show he was his own guy, now he's just a glorified barney rubble 

On 3/29/2016 at 10:18 AM, blade57331 said:

I can't agree with that. Shadow or Rouge weren't played for laughs despite how they contradicted Sonic. In Knuckles' case, it's when he did join Sonic's team - that was the times when he was changing into butt monkey (Season 3 for example). In similar situation he is now in games.

Much like now, shadow and rouge gets to do that because shadow is the character they allow to be cool rival man, And rouge because shadow is her, friend...boyfriend... partner thing that they never elaborate on. Knuckles for whatever reason forgot he had that ability, people like to assume this is a recent thing. They have actually been pushing that narrative since sonic heroes. He's sonic dumb friend now. 

On 3/29/2016 at 4:56 PM, Hyper Enesephus said:

Amy is supposed to be caring, yet fiery, and her fondness of Sonic is also a big part of her character

I feel like people try to explain that this is why she's a good character, I think its why she sucks. I think the only good version of amy is a certain era of comic book, where she kind of largely didn't give a shit about sonic. And operated on what she felt, she even layed sonic out once or twice, when divorced from this crush from sonic she becomes someone way cooler than sonic, some one sonic wishes he could be. Someone with actually personality beyond, i'm cool guy. 

That's just me though, I suppose this might be my unpopular opinion contribution to the thread. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My problem with X Knuckles is as said, maybe he wasn't as much of a loser, but the show FORCED him into that position. In that rather than being one through his own shortcomings and buffoonery, the rest of the cast designated and abused him into being one Meg Griffin style, always mocking him and telling him he was wrong and the narrative actually seeming to side with them even when this wasn't exactly true. You know the world has it in for you when even Cream and Cosmo are sneering and beating you up for fun. Boom Knuckles is too pitiful, but it's partway his own fault, not really because the cast are overly mean to him (par odd occasions, which in fairness is about the same amount the other cast members do), and they have more blatant moments they actually care about him and getting his own opinions, even if they aren't exactly agreeable a lot of the time. The comic even drew a line when Amy took her exasperation with Knuckles to outright bullying him.

Amy's problem is they struggle to get a happy medium with her. They either exaggerate her quirks into making her a sociopathic stalker for Sonic or they dilute her and make lucid to the point of being kinda dull. I remember this being the problem with Archie Amy till the reboot came along, she fluctuated between the two extremes, only afterwards did they get in the balance and some of her hidden depths and more complex emotions.

• Thumbs Up 4

Isn't there some group mentality in Japan where its considered a bad to actually not go along with a group over there?

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Much like now, shadow and rouge gets to do that because shadow is the character they allow to be cool rival man, And rouge because shadow is her, friend...boyfriend... partner thing that they never elaborate on. Knuckles for whatever reason forgot he had that ability, people like to assume this is a recent thing. They have actually been pushing that narrative since sonic heroes. He's sonic dumb friend now. 

With Shadow I agree. With Rouge not really. In X Rouge wasn't really that much close team-mate with Shadow. They only were a team in adaption of SA2 (Season 2) and a bit in Season 3 at the end. And even then, she was a lot of times just using him (in 3 Season she even was playing with his head about Maria to get chaos emerald when they were on mission). So I wouldn't say that her attachment to Shadow was the reason for her to avoid being used as cheap comic relief (since there wasn't that much of a stong bond between them anyway).

On 29.03.2016 at 1:47 AM, E-122-Psi said:

Shadow fought for gloried status over Sonic most of the time he appeared, being even more invincible and glossed over, while Rouge never really actively contradicted or antagonised Sonic. The nearest she got to that was making some half hearted comments when he wasn't there or trying to steal emeralds, where she was usually against Knuckles primarily.

Well, despite the fact that she wasn't interested in Sonic's groupie (and sometimes even trying steal emerald right from their nose). She still to some point was her own character, not played for cheap laughs but yet still charming and funny in her own right (even if I think her role was kind of downplayed overall in the whole show).

I admit, I liked that in X she wasn't that much dependent on Shadow. Thought, I think they could utilized her character much better overall. Then again, I could say the same about most of Sonic characters.

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:
6 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Isn't there some group mentality in Japan where its considered a bad to actually not go along with a group over there?

I'm not a japanese expert , but if my consumption of their media wielded any knowledge, they are as much as fan of the rogue renegade as west is. Heck its kind of the premise behind sonic and shadow respectively, though shadow more often than not takes that roll. I wonder if him being sort of an outlier, is why he still weilds to this day so much popularity? Though it could be attributed to many things, sonic personalities compared to the eastern and western schools of thought that birthed them would be an interesting thread to make. 

7 minutes ago, blade57331 said:

With Shadow I agree. With Rouge not really. In X Rouge wasn't really that much close team-mate with Shadow. They only were a team in adaption of SA2 (Season 2) and a bit in Season 3 at the end. And even then, she was a lot of times just using him (in 3 Season she even was playing with his head about Maria to get chaos emerald when they were on mission). So I wouldn't say that her attachment to Shadow was the reason for her to avoid being used as cheap comic relief (since there wasn't that much of a stong bond between them anyway).

Well, despite the fact that she wasn't interested in Sonic's groupie (and sometimes even trying steal emerald right from their nose). She still to some point was her own character, not played for cheap laughs but yet still charming and funny in her own right (even if I think her role was kind of downplayed overall in the whole show).

I admit, I liked that in X she wasn't that much dependent on Shadow. Thought, I think they could utilized her character much better overall. Then again, I could say the same about most of Sonic characters.

In X sure, but I guess when I was talking about rouge I was referencing like rouge as a whole, so sorry about that, if that was confusing. In non sonic X media she doesn't mess with shadow because...to be frank she has gotten the closest to telling telling a character, shadow " I love and care about you , in terms of whatever we are" out of like... everyone besides maybe some penders era comics. And now that you mention X rouge, i'm liking her less, she tried to manipulate him using maria? That's some messed up shit, like I wont deny that Rouge is a soceopath. She is, she's a strait up soceopath, but the only person it seemed like 99% of the time she kind of put that away for is shadow. So Thanks, I'm going to find and watch some sonic X because, its not that I don't believe you. That show was never the best and I could totally believe I blocked large sections of that show out of mind. And that was one of them, it just sounds... a little out of character for her to shadow, but shadow was weird in that show to be honest. Especially when he showed up later. Everyone was weird in that show to be honest. I think I might run though, a bunch of sonic cartoons again, thanks for the insight. 

My problem with X Knuckles is as said, maybe he wasn't as much of a loser, but the show FORCED him into that position. In that rather than being one through his own shortcomings and buffoonery, the rest of the cast designated and abused him into being one Meg Griffin style, always mocking him and telling him he was wrong and the narrative actually seeming to side with them even when this wasn't exactly true. You know the world has it in for you when even Cream and Cosmo are sneering and beating you up for fun. Boom Knuckles is too pitiful, but it's partway his own fault, not really because the cast are overly mean to him (par odd occasions, which in fairness is about the same amount the other cast members do), and they have more blatant moments they actually care about him and getting his own opinions, even if they aren't exactly agreeable a lot of the time. The comic even drew a line when Amy took her exasperation with Knuckles to outright bullying him.

Amy's problem is they struggle to get a happy medium with her. They either exaggerate her quirks into making her a sociopathic stalker for Sonic or they dilute her and make lucid to the point of being kinda dull. I remember this being the problem with Archie Amy till the reboot came along, she fluctuated between the two extremes, only afterwards did they get in the balance and some of her hidden depths and more complex emotions.

you know what, you know what. You aren't even wrong, heck they to knuckles outside of X and i hate it. I hate that. I still think boom knuckles is much worse, because he has nothing. But you have a very valid point. We are are arguing a poop pie and a shit salad here. 

I think amy was getting it right a bit before, hand, heck I would argue that was the sweet spot. Right before the reboot, sonic kind of cared and was in some on again off again relationship with an entirely different character. She was kind of... forced to be her own character. Instead of being creepy or taking the woe is me friendzone route, she just... kind did cool stuff by herself? That isn't to say that she can't function liking someone , I would like to think the characters can. I think sonic boom amy might be ablle to work it because irrc in that universe they kind of actually like each other mutually. And that could work, if they do it right. 

But as of currently amy has been a good character IMO in one place... the comics. 

The whole group mentality thing was the bane of many western cartoons as well, especially in the 80s and 90s. It was usually enforced by networks and the writers hated putting it in. The thing was though, most examples, at least the ones that were written well for what they had to do, didn't have the individual complainy-pants get outright bullied into sticking into the group. That it was usually stuffed with broken aesops didn't help (eg. Knuckles being right all along but never notified as such, being beaten up for complaining about the others STEALING THE MASTER EMERALD). I kinda found something heartbreaking at the end of the series when he sacrificed the Master Emerald. You could tell it destroyed him, and yet know one really cared or emphasised about it. He explained his plan solemnly and they just said 'Ok sure, what are you waiting for? Bye then'. He felt so alone, even when he was with the group.

Not to mention this was against probably the most aloof and non-team interacting version of Sonic there is. How can you have someone like Sonic who does things totally his way and sometimes outright trolled a group mentality be worshipped like a god and then treat Knuckles like crap for the exact same?

I just think that whenever they try to 'mature' Amy they tend to make her a bit bland. Whenever the comics tend to try doing these arcs with the sidekicks coming out on their own they tend to feel a bit interchangeable. just then maturing and getting their own team and ditching all their old flaws par the angst about working on their own. They only prove that her character doesn't really have solo appeal without her crush. I kinda give credit to Boom!Amy since they did at least put some new quirks and motives outside generic 'I wanna be independent' in place of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I definitely have a certain fondness for American Classic Sonic myself. I can certainly see why some would dislike him - he can look awkward and even bad sometimes, and the changes they made were largely unnecessary -  but I think he's pretty charming in his own way, and sometimes he could be quite well-drawn, like in the pictures you posted. There are actually a few things about him that I personally prefer to the features of Japanese Sonic, such as the fact that his body is usually not so perfectly round, his limbs aren't as noodle-like, and his snout looks a little less "flat". Sure, they did overdo these alterations a bit sometimes, such as when Sonic's body looked too much like a potato, and there are certainly several alterations I'm not as fond of, such as the spike-do with the weird raised top spike and the more flattened feet. But at least at his best, he's pretty cute and has lots of personality. Maybe not the best design for Sonic, but I can appreciate him for what he is.

Actually, one of my favorite arts of Sonic is this one, which seems clearly American based on the shading style and such, but was much closer to the original Japanese design than the early arts, while still retaining a few American distinctives such as thicker limbs. He just seems like a really good compromise between the Japanese and American designs.

SSS_SONIC0F.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Is this the right place for this...?

I like Sonic Lost World (the Wii U version).

It does have a lot of flaws (a bit too gimmicky at points, didn't really care for the Mario Galaxy-like planetoids, the Wisps were kinda lame), but overall I find it rather enjoyable. I don't mind the story (writing wasn't perfect, but the general plot was pretty good IMO), I don't mind the controls, I really love the art style (would like to see it applied to more original levels than just "grass, desert, water, etc." though), and I like the music (Honeycomb Highway, the Deadly Six theme, Double Down, and Dragon Dance are some of my personal favorites).

One thing is inexcusable, though: there's no way to listen to music or rewatch cutscenes in the game. I know Youtube exists, but c'mon.

While I feel like the boost formula was pretty well done in Colors and Generations, I personally wouldn't mind if the next game revisited and improved the Lost World gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Mister X said:

While I feel like the boost formula was pretty well done in Colors and Generations, I personally wouldn't mind if the next game revisited and improved the Lost World gameplay.

This. Lost World's gameplay has a lot of potential. I think if they removed the run button and made the parkour more momentum based, and overall just flow better, it could be something great.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Linkie said:

This. Lost World's gameplay has a lot of potential. I think if they removed the run button and made the parkour more momentum based, and overall just flow better, it could be something great.

It is pretty fun being able to run up walls and trees and the like -- it makes the world feel a bit more interactive. It does need some improvement, maybe more momentum based like you said. I wonder how it would be if they removed the planetoid stuff and had more open levels. Make the levels less blocky, too (from my understanding, they did this in Lost World to emphasize the new parkour features), while still providing walls to run along and climb. Hey, Tails and Knuckles might be a good fit for a Lost World-type game.

Makes me curious how a game that combined maybe an improved SA1 gameplay style with Lost World would turn out.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mister X said:

I wonder how it would be if they removed the planetoid stuff and had more open levels. Make the levels less blocky, too (from my understanding, they did this in Lost World to emphasize the new parkour features), while still providing walls to run along and climb.

Unless I'm mistaken, the first part of the Zelda DLC level was much more open less blocky. I thought it was pretty neat, but the lack of proper camera control made it a bit frustrating in the more open space. That's something that would need to be added if the levels were more open in Lost World's gameplay: being able to control the camera.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Linkie said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the first part of the Zelda DLC level was much more open less blocky. I thought it was pretty neat, but the lack of proper camera control made it a bit frustrating in the more open space. That's something that would need to be added if the levels were more open in Lost World's gameplay: being able to control the camera.

Yeah, the Hyrule DLC is a good example. Actually, I think parts of Desert Ruins zone 1 are pretty good -- fairly open, even has a few slopes to run along. 

Agreed about the camera. That would have to be implemented somehow.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Linkie said:

The use of parkour is based on your running speed...the necessary speed is pretty low. Since the run button brakes out max speed, no one would ever know that.

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of people say that Sonic should take a break and I agree for the most part.

This sounds terrible but as much as I love the Sonic franchise, I wouldn't be sad if it just took a really long rest. This series in my opinion has gotten pretty stale

Maybe we need some time to reestablish the series

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Dashman said:

A lot of people say that Sonic should take a break and I agree for the most part.

This sounds terrible but as much as I love the Sonic franchise, I wouldn't be sad if it just took a really long rest. This series in my opinion has gotten pretty stale

I agree for the most part, except for the idea that the series has become stale. If anything, the Sonic series is pretty much everything but stale due to the constant changes to the gameplay, narrative, and sound. Unless it's become ironically stale because almost every game in the series is different.

• 2 weeks later...

-I Feel sonic does have a large following in japan. otherwise why would there be niconico videos. japanese tweets. appearance from a man in a sonic costume during a baseball game. a themepark. and vocal female cosplayer on tweeter. all exist? maybe they don't buy the games on launch-day because members of society don't like being judged. i think has something to do with "Shintoism" i think....? i think sega had an obscure game in japan that made fun of a japanese prime minister and that layed a bad image? or tom kalinske's americanization approach hurt the appeal there. i personalty don't think the games not selling there has to do with sonic being anthropomorphic.

-Sonic adventure is still great to me. i also feel its the most memorable game in the series. probably one of the most memorable games of all time.

-i hate the current group of english voice actors for the series because of the large familiarly presence they have in the voice acting world. i hope yuri lowenthal/troy baker/quintin flynn or any voice actor associated with them. never have a chance to voice sonic or step into the series ever again once they finally possibly leave.

-i hate the humans in unleashed. i think they look even worser than the ones from 06. i rather have what the unused character "maddona" was suppose to be. or billy hatcher and the giant egg's human designs.

I Should clairfly my voice actor concern feels harsh, i do like most of the ones in the popular overused naruto/bleach-pedigree (rouge's actress is my favorite out of all of them) but its really tiredsome that these voice actors get this, this, this and that roles over equally talent voice actors outside the naruto/bleach pedigree that barely get any exposure anymore and new ones don't have a chance to shine. not to mention they make the character they voice sound to similar to a point the characters feel the same as the character as the voice actor previously voiced. the instant you recongise the voices. as such i don't want a series with a legacy like sonic to have any voice actors in the naruto/bleach. if the overused naruto/bleach pedgree voice actors really had to takeover sonic. then they should of did a main character sitution simlar to naruto. where they casted someone outside their pedigree as sonic. so they can look less greedy. and make sonic feel like his own character rather some overused naruto/bleach voiceactor's character.

On 27/04/2016 at 7:21 PM, Dashman said:

You might've just gotten your wish. For Sonic's 25th Anniversary, Sega has been investing in new merchandise and making changes in Sonic's website. They're not concerned with announcing new games other than Fire&Ice.

Seems like where Sonic is concerned, the fans will be stuck with Boom for longer than they thought.

Popular Opinions:

+"SEGA should stop creating new characters in the games and focus on developing the current ones." I agree. We already have more than enough characters as it is. If you have all these characters, then do something useful with them! SEGA apparently fails at common sense and logic nowadays...

-"Silver's hair resembles a cannabis plant." I disagree. It's painfully obvious that SEGA intended Silver's 5 spines on his forehead to be based off the Japanese Maple Leaf. Anyone who can't tell the difference between a "cannabis plant" and a "Japanese Maple Leaf" seriously needs to reevaluate their lives and get medical support. Here's a picture that shows what a Japanese Maple Leaf looks like:

not_a_pot_leaf_but_a_maple_leaf_by_kitty

Unpopular Opinions:

-"Chris and Elise are okay or decent characters to deal with." I disagree. I personally don't see any redeeming qualities about a princess who can't even defend herself like Peach or Blaze can. Also, Chris kept stealing the spotlight from Sonic, the main character himself. It's called Sonic X for a reason, not Chris X.

+"Silver deserves a bigger role in a future Sonic title." I agree. People who think a fictional character should die has a very immature and illogical mindset. All Silver needs more is more character development and screen-time in the games. His gameplay style wouldn't be that difficult to execute, either. You could base it off of his Rival Battle in Generations and go further from there...

• Thumbs Up 2