Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Hey, I'm a big Silver fan and even I can see the pot leaf thing is a joke. Yeah it's a very annoying joke and seeing "pothead the porkipine" jokes can be very annoying but it's just that.... a joke.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Sonikku. said:

Hey, I'm a big Silver fan and even I can see the pot leaf thing is a joke. Yeah it's a very annoying joke and seeing "pothead the porkipine" jokes can be very annoying but it's just that.... a joke.

Pretty much, yeah.

I'm sure a significant amount of the people who make the joke are more familiar with pot leaves than they are Japanese maple leaves. They're not saying it's LITERALLY A POT LEAF, it's just "haha it kinda looks like it." They think his design is silly, so they try to make it sillier by joking about how his head KIND OF looks like a cannabis leaf.

It's dumb, yeah. But it's a joke.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mister X said:

I'm sure a significant amount of the people who make the joke are more familiar with pot leaves than they are Japanese maple leaves. They're not saying it's LITERALLY A POT LEAF, it's just "haha it kinda looks like it." They think his design is silly, so they try to make it sillier by joking about how his head KIND OF looks like a cannabis leaf.

It's dumb, yeah. But it's a joke.

ask__12__pothead_by_askthesilverhedgehog

2 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

8 minutes ago, Mister X said:

"haha it kinda looks like it." They think his design is silly, so they try to make it sillier by joking about how his head KIND OF looks like a cannabis leaf.

Not saying it's 100% accurate or even funny, but you can't expect people to not make a joke, especially since Silver's design is so unique compared to the rest of the cast. More people will make the comparison to pot because it makes it funnier to them.

3 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Not saying it's 100% accurate

No, but the 3 pictures I posted recently are considered "100% accurate".

3 minutes ago, Mister X said:

or even funny, but you can't expect people to not make a joke, especially since Silver's design is so unique compared to the rest of the cast. More people will make the comparison to pot because it makes it funnier to them.

Funny in what way, pray tell?

1 minute ago, SilverStarN64 said:

No, but the 3 pictures I posted recently are considered "100% accurate".

I was referring to people making the comparison to pot leaves.

2 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Funny in what way, pray tell?

To the people making the joke, saying that a character in a kid's game looks like he has a giant pot leaf on his head is funny. Humor is subjective. Nobody has to like or agree with it, but they're not "delusional" for opting to make a simple joke about a minor video game character instead of researching leaves in Japan that may have inspired the design.

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

Well that's not very accurate, eh?

Silver clearly has 7 quills.

9 minutes ago, Mister X said:

I was referring to people making the comparison to pot leaves.

Okay.

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Well that's not very accurate, eh?

Silver clearly has 7 quills.

Silver clearly has 5 quills on his forehead. That's where SEGA of Japan got the inspiration from this here:

not_a_pot_leaf_but_a_maple_leaf_by_kitty

• Thumbs Up 1

@StaticMania I apologize for double posting, but there's something that I thought you'd like to know...

Shun Nakamura is the creator of Silver the Hedgehog.

“One controversy based around Silver are the 5 spines on his forehead. Fans think it resembles a cannabis plant (aka marijuana, or pot). In actuality, the spines are based on the Japanese Red Maple leaf.”

Just now, SilverStarN64 said:

@StaticMania I apologize for double posting, but there's something that I thought you'd like to know...

You didn't need to tell me that, I believed you from the beginning.

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I believed you from the beginning.

Spoiler

“One controversy based around Silver are the 5 spines on his forehead. Fans think it resembles a cannabis plant (aka marijuana, or pot). In actuality, the spines are based on the Japanese Red Maple leaf.”

Source: http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_the_Hedgehog

@StaticMania I'm sure you'll believe me more now, since I gave my source.

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It was funny for a time. People like to amuse themselves, ya know?

That he's a character in a Children's video game series really doesn't mean anything, stealth adult humor does pass around in games just as it does in cartoons. Silver's head just wasn't one of those cases.

Look, I don't have a problem with jokes people like to make on characters, movies and general stuff. I'm all for freedom of speech and people expressing what they want, however they want, without having to worry about being judged. This is the internet. It's where we can kick off our boots, relax and goof around .

But I do have a problem when a joke or a meme becomes "official" and people automatically assume everyone is supposed to find it funny. And if they don't, people still try to force the individual to change his mind, even though he's just pointing out the obvious: that some jokes and memes are so out of context they're simply not funny.

(Silver wasn't a much beloved character shortly after 06 came out, so people immediately turned him into a joke. Hence the whole making fun of his hair.) 

If there are people who find that funny, ok, no problem. But trying to invalidate the argument of people who question that's not funny (when it really isn't)? Sorry, but that other guy, SilverStar64 is right. Especially after he said Sega had already explained where came the inspiration for creating his hair. He's in the right and if you guys insist he has to change his mind, then you're in the wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Stardust said:

If there are people who find that funny, ok, no problem. But trying to invalidate the argument of people who question that's not funny (when it really isn't)? Sorry, but that other guy, SilverStar64 is right. Especially after he said Sega had already explained where came the inspiration for creating his hair. He's in the right and if you guys insist he has to change his mind, then you're in the wrong.

I wasn't trying to "invalidate" his argument. I acknowledged that he was right...about the design inspiration.

All I said was that people found it funny...not that everyone should think it's funny. Also that the people who make the joke weren't delusional for assuming.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Oh my god, nobody's saying you're wrong. I know what it's based on, but people shouldn't have to "reevaluate" their lives over making a dumb joke about a ridiculous character design.

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

Look, I don't have a problem with jokes people like to make on characters, movies and general stuff. I'm all for freedom of speech and people expressing what they want, however they want, without having to worry about being judged. This is the internet. It's where we can kick off our boots, relax and goof around .

But I do have a problem when a joke or a meme becomes "official" and people automatically assume everyone is supposed to find it funny. And if they don't, people still try to force the individual to change his mind, even though he's just pointing out the obvious: that some jokes and memes are so out of context they're simply not funny.

(Silver wasn't a much beloved character shortly after 06 came out, so people immediately turned him into a joke. Hence the whole making fun of his hair.) 

No one here is saying he's wrong and no one is trying to change his opinion of the joke. But nobody is delusional and nobody should have to"reevaluate their lives" for making a stupid joke about a ridiculous character design. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Also that the people who make the joke weren't delusional for assuming.

Well, when people assume things without legit evidence to support their claim, it's pretty easy to call them "delusional", simply because they're not being logical enough...but whatever floats your boat, I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Oh my god, nobody's saying you're wrong. I know what it's based on, but people shouldn't have to "reevaluate" their lives over making a dumb joke about a ridiculous character design.

That's what I originally thought before, but now they should change their minds since they know the truth behind Silver's design.

4 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I don't even know what to say with the fact that a conversation about whether the leaf on Silver's head looks like cannabis or not has been going on for more than one freaking page.

It's not incorrect to say that Silver's forehead leaf looks like marijuana, it's either a joke or an opinion. Yes, it would be incorrect to claim that Silver's forehead leaf was intended to look like marijuana, but literally no one has ever claimed that that I can see. So seriously, what are you arguing against? The fact that people are associating two things of similar appearance (no one is claiming that Silver's forehead quills look exactly like a marijuana leaf, or that it looks more like marijuana than a maple leaf or whatever, they just see a certain resemblance, and resemblances are often subjective anyway)? The fact that people are making a joke? Who cares? If someone made a joke about Knuckles looking like a girl, I might roll my eyes and think it's not a very funny joke, but I wouldn't say they're delusional or wrong.

Seriously, this argument needs to stop. At its base, it literally makes no sense because it seems to be treating a joke as a serious claim of objective fact, when it's really just a way to poke fun at a character design. It's fine to think the joke is stupid, but it makes little sense to argue against the accuracy of the joke beyond, like, a sentence or two. Like, go ahead and say "His forehead leaf doesn't even look like marijuana!" if you want to, but arguing that no one can make the joke just because you don't "see" it is ridiculous. Like I said, resemblances are subjective. Plus, this is such a tiny thing to get worked up over that it boggles my mind.

So yeah. Drop it.

Very well, then. If that's how they feel about it, I won't do anything about it. I'll let them accept their own personal theory/headcanon for Silver's hairstyle. In their own creative and imaginative mindsets, they can think whatever they want. It really doesn't make much of a difference to me in the long run anyway.

If they're not concerned with the fact that Shun Nakamura (the creator of Silver and the director of Sonic 2006) knows more about what Silver's hairstyle is supposed to resemble than anyone else on this forum, then praise be to you. Keep dreaming and keep doing what you're doing now. It's fine by me. I couldn't care any less about the shallow and unoriginal jokes that they invent, or if they're going to be trapped in the sheer and inevitable denial of grandeur absurdity.

I'll respect their decision, but I won't support it. With that being said, I'm finished with this discussion now.

Au revoir, tout le monde! :)

I'll suppose I'll share my next pair of opinions now.

Popular Opinion: SEGA should hire a competent writer from the Archie Comics (namely Ian Flynn) to write for the Sonic 25th Anniversary game coming soon. He actually knows how to portray the main cast of characters better than Pontac and Graff can. We need more character development for the supporting cast. Also, Evan Stanley should be hired to write Silver in the games. The way she portrayed Silver in the "Silver Age" Universe arc made the fans appreciate him a lot (of course, Ian Flynn's portrayal of Silver was very acceptable with fans in the Pre-Reboot and SU #75 too). :)

Unpopular Opinion: I actually enjoyed listening to the Chronicles soundtrack. Not to the point where I absolutely adore it, per se. Though, the remixes are pretty decent enough for me to listen to. If anything, the music for each level sounds like it came from the G.B.A. handheld device, which is something that I used to be a big fan of back in the day. It definitely had that classic 8-bit beat I could rock out to. The Boss themes do a better job with the sound quality, though. The Final Boss theme is by far the best. That's the one theme I always go back to every time, because of the funky beats. ^_^

5 hours ago, SilverStarN64 said:

I'll suppose I'll share my next pair of opinions now.

Popular Opinion: SEGA should hire a competent writer from the Archie Comics (namely Ian Flynn) to write for the Sonic 25th Anniversary game coming soon. He actually knows how to portray the main cast of characters better than Pontac and Graff can. We need more character development for the supporting cast. Also, Evan Stanley should be hired to write Silver in the games. The way she portrayed Silver in the "Silver Age" Universe arc made the fans appreciate him a lot (of course, Ian Flynn's portrayal of Silver was very acceptable with fans in the Pre-Reboot and SU #75 too). :)

Unpopular Opinion: I actually enjoyed listening to the Chronicles soundtrack. Not to the point where I absolutely adore it, per se. Though, the remixes are pretty decent enough for me to listen to. If anything, the music for each level sounds like it came from the G.B.A. handheld device, which is something that I used to be a big fan of back in the day. It definitely had that classic 8-bit beat I could rock out to. The Boss themes do a better job with the sound quality, though. The Final Boss theme is by far the best. That's the one theme I always go back to every time, because of the funky beats. ^_^

Same with the chronicles sound track. I'm probably use to it myself. I practically grew up on the original gameboy on wards so I do like the beep boop type tunes.=3

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm still not quite on board with the idea of Flynn writing the games, I DO think he could make for a good Boom writer (and maybe even an X writer if it was still going). I wouldn't trust him as a Satam writer at all to tell you the truth though (unless the other options were Ken Penders and Karl Bollers). :P

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

While I'm still not quite on board with the idea of Flynn writing the games, I DO think he could make for a good Boom writer (and maybe even an X writer if it was still going). I wouldn't trust him as a Satam writer at all to tell you the truth though (unless the other options were Ken Penders and Karl Bollers). :P

Flynn doesn't necessarily need to write for all the games, per se. Only the 25th Anniversary game exclusively, IMO.

I do agree with Flynn writing for Sonic Boom, though.

I would nominate Karl Bollers as a SATAM writer. Ken Penders can deal with his own fanfiction nonsense.

Considering its been dead for as long as it has, why would we need a SatAM writer at any point?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just was thinking about one of my opinions that is probably pretty unpopular:

Sonic Advance 2 is the best Sonic Advance game. I enjoyed the higher focus on speed, even if it meant for more "hold right" gameplay. It did away from the cheapness and questionable level design of the first Sonic Advance, but to be fair, Advance 2 is a little too easy at points. I really love the trick system though, where you could pull off higher mid-air dash moves and forward dash moves to reach other points of the levels.

It also, IMO, had the best level tropes, very wacky and cool looking like Sonic CD, but keeping some of the modern aesthetic of the other Sonic games at the time like SA2 and Heroes.

If there was another 2D Sonic game, I'd want it to be like Advance 2. It was like the perfect middle ground between classic gameplay and Rush-style boost gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2