Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

The treasure hunting could have been fun if they implemented it well.

SA1 had a decent mechanic for it, but was rather half baked. The locations of each emerald were mindlessly easy and rarely changed, and the levels were just small chunks off of Sonic's stages.

SA2 had more intricacy, but badly done. The levels were refined for Knuckles but mindlessly tedious and maze like with over intricate puzzles, and the radar for whatever reason was downgraded to only sense one emerald at a time, making the whole method pointlessly long drawn and linear. Even worse they were all intervals in between Sonic's levels like Tails' mech ones were, while in SA1 they were at least an optional campaign mode of their own.

Out of the two I could enjoy SA1's, but it was let down by how mindlessly basic and short lived the whole thing was. Only Lost World and Sky Deck felt developed enough to be that much fun, though even then felt more like simplistic starter levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dunno where else this can go even though it's more of an analysis than an opinion. Analysis pieces aren't Showcase material. Let's see how this short little piece goes.

So after Ian Flynn said that notes from SEGA Japan feedback stated that Sonic R was canon about a month ago...I've only just thought about how to possibly interlink it into canon. Woo, I is fast.

Ah well, better late than never.

WHY is it canon?

Because SEGA said so. :V

But on a serious note, it did make me think back onto that long piece I did on character creators and why only the Chaotix were revived for Heroes. As noted there, while Traveller's Tales made the game, it was Yuji Uekawa who claims credit for the characters made for it. Uekawa may not be on the same level as Hoshino or Ohshima in terms of seniority, but he's still very much a Sonic Team staple, so it seemed odd that they'd neglect that. Well, turns out they didn't. Huh.

But why is the game canon and not just the characters, then? Or why weren't they reintroduced? Well, that's where the how comes in.

HOW is it canon?

For the central plot, that's easy enough. One day Eggman set up a racing challenge, everyone jumped on it like a rash and then they be super sonic racing.

For the characters, I find that the potential reasons are more interesting as they link into Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes.

Tails Doll - The Tails Doll is a rag doll that Eggman tested some strange tech on, resulting in its uncanny ability to move and float. If that's the extent of its effectiveness, Eggman likely would have decided against using it for combat, but that's not to say he didn't leave the doll blueprints around to make cheap and quick targets for his E-Series. In fact, people have been saying for a long time that Tails Doll has an uncanny resemblence to the Adventure dolls. Maybe that's not a co-incidence. Speaking of E-Series...

Egg Robo - One of the most 'sentient' Badniks in Eggman's army, so much so that one handled the boss machines of S3 and K in Knuckles' story. We know from concept art that E-102 Gamma was originally going to look much more like an Egg Robo than it ended up doing, but perhaps the Egg Robo was still the basis for the E-Series elite project to spawn from (not the E-Series in general, a lot of them are based on the more basic Badniks).

Metal Knuckles - A robot copy of Knuckles, down to abilities. We know that Eggman had been tinkering with his robot copies as late as Adventure with Metal Sonic and Mecha Sonic being cameos inside statis tubes, so it's easy enough to see him as another robot copy like them, but one that got dropped before that point. Eggman foraying into machines mimicking other characters abilities aside from Sonic could have even inspired the chip that allowed Metal Sonic to copy general biological data in Heroes.

So back to the question of why the game is canon and they didn't reintroduce the characters instead? Well, all said and done, Sonic R didn't contradict a whole lot of what Sonic Adventure established with its soft reboot. In fact, given some of the concepts and designs, it's easy to argue (see above) that they were incorporated into Sonic Adventure's fabric outright. Therefore, it can stay in canon as containing elements that would later be evolved and developed in Adventure and beyond (in and out of universe). That does also mean that Tails Doll and Metal Knuckles would be relegated to just that game as they were disregarded by Eggman later on. 

Chaotix, on the other hand, wasn't incorporated with Adventure's soft reboot, so with the Echidna lore being developed as it was, the elements in Chaotix that were supposed to tie into it were nonsense, so it couldn't have fit in regardless of the character creator stuff I whitted on about. And then when they decided to bring some characters back, that's when the character creator stuff kicked in.

...This looked so short when I typed it at work. Why you always lyin', Notepad

• Thumbs Up 2

Are you talking from the games or comics perspective? Because from the latter's perspective the Egg Robo was just being used by Snively as a vehicle, it wasn't sentient.

Games only. The comic has already veered off the track of that analysis since the Tails Doll is still in active use there. 

My order of preference for the Classic games is:

S3&K > Sonic CD > Sonic 1 > Sonic 2

Which I know is quite unusual, especially Sonic 2 being at the bottom. I still greatly enjoy it though, and think it's a fantastic game. It's just if I had to order them, this is how it would go.

I also personally don't care about Sonic canon at all anymore. I used to, but I stopped after I realised how bad it is and how the series was clearly not designed to be this long, drawn out saga. Instead, I take Aaron Webber's personal approach and view each game individually, or as part of a smaller saga.

So the Classics are one saga. Adventure to Shadow is another. '06 is it's own thing due to being retconned. Unleashed is it's own thing, with a possible connection to Black Knight (though it's not confirmed, to my knowledge). Colours and Generations are also clearly connected. And Lost World is it's own thing. Same goes with handheld games and stuff. The Advance games are one saga, the Rush games are another, the Rivals games are another, and so on and so forth.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourite Special Stage has been the one from Sonic 4 Ep 1. I know you might be thinking eh? Sonic 4? The original one from Sonic 1 was inspired by an arcade game called Cameltry where you rotate a maze to guide a marble to its goal. Main difference though is that you guide Sonic instead and it's okay but gets tricky since a mistake makes you fail the stage. It feels a bit clunky though. Pretty much a tech demo that says the Mega Drive can do rotation. Sonic 4 however is pretty much Cameltry where you rotate the maze to guide Sonic and found those fun to play. Smooth to control, has good graphics and doesn't feel clunky. It was my first fully completed 2D Sonic game with the Chaos Emeralds, thanks to the special stage. Probably because I enjoyed playing the game on Taito Legends 2 to the point of fully complete on every difficulty mode. I don't recall anyone mentioning these, either praise or criticism.

Other than that, there's also the two Triple Trouble ones. Both the platforming maze and the Sonic in the Tornado. They are a nice change with its level design and seeing Fang in the former is delightful. The 3D is smooth with no slowdown or control issues. Plus the music with its eerie sound of the former and the upbeat of the latter shows a contrast. I like how you can play the 3D one via the menu, like the developers are proud of it.

On the other side, I'm not as keen on Blue Spheres. The visibility is close so it's harder to see what's ahead and it doesn't help by the angle of the stages either with its curved design. Plus that it has input lag (a delay between button press and action) meaning that most of the time, they end quick sometimes only a few seconds before they begin thanks to a red sphere. I've only managed to do the first one, second if I'm lucky. I actually prefer the Gumball machine and the Sonic 2 Slot machine that uses the Sonic 1 rotation bonus stages to those.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 2 probably has the worst special stages of all time. Like, nothing comes close to being quite as un-fun. You move too quickly, which isn't so bad, until there's a sharp turn coming up in your half pipe and then once you cut the corner you run right into a nice hot hot cluster of bombs. Oh, you had 163 rings out of the 160 you needed? Too bad you got hit by these bombs no one on Earth could have known were there unless you've memorized the stage. No emerald for you, guy.

It's so gross. It wouldn't be so bad at all if the special stages were void of bombs and it was just a quick 'get as many rings as you can' stage or something, but the bombs are totally unnecessary and make the special stages way more frustrating than they need to be. Even in the Taxman and Stealth remakes, you've got a wider field of view and it's so crispy smooth, it's still not fun. At least you can restart as long as you've got lives.

I mean, the idea of Sonic 2's special stages are pretty cool. Sonic Rush probably has my favorite special stages in the series and they're half pipes too. It's crazy how fun these kinds of stages can be with some tweaking. The most popular Sonic game is pretty much unarguably either 2 or 3. I think I've seen more people in life who prefer 2 though, it makes me wonder if they take into account the special stages. Or if they like them out of pure nostalgia. Or if they just erased their memories of these bad, bad special stages. I wonder.

• Thumbs Up 5

I do not believe that 06 was the worst game. Actually I consider it to be above average. Most of the hate for the game probably came because it was over hyped and people had unrealistic expectations because it was the first game on next gen. It may have been the most disappointing game but it was never the worst game.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

I do not believe that 06 was the worst game. Actually I consider it to be above average. Most of the hate for the game probably came because it was over hyped and people had unrealistic expectations because it was the first game on next gen. It may have been the most disappointing game but it was never the worst game.

I see where you are coming from, my opinion about that is a little bit different.I didn't know about 06 till 200. And... I wasn't on the hype train, but I still hated the game,the reason being that the story was horrible (Hedgehog x Human Romance is the stuff of nightmares) there was a lot of horrible design, load times and not to mention, god forbid, bugs. So... From my Point of View, it wasn't the hype's fault, it was just a bad game. I still enjoy it just because its so fun to break though.

51 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

Most of the hate for the game probably came because it was over hyped and people had unrealistic expectations because it was the first game on next gen.

Not being killed by scripted events isn't an unrealistic expectation.

• Thumbs Up 4

59 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

I agree with you that Sonic 06 is not the worst game as I am an 06 fan myself. However, people hate the game because of the game, not because it was over hyped. The game was rushed, full of glitches, people loathed the story and the many plotholes and the new characters were dubbed less than satisfactory. Which most of these are facts, not a matter of opinion.

1 hour ago, Knuxchao said:

I agree with you that Sonic 06 is not the worst game as I am an 06 fan myself. However, people hate the game because of the game, not because it was over hyped. The game was rushed, full of glitches, people loathed the story and the many plotholes and the new characters were dubbed less than satisfactory. Which most of these are facts, not a matter of opinion.

*rant*

The adventure games were buggy and had plot holes as well. Yet people still like those games for what they are. I think that 06 was unfinished and flawed. But I notice that people tend to hate things that are in 06 simply because they are in 06. People started hating characters and story because they were in 06 and to this day SEGA is still afraid of implementing story and characters out of fear of this one game that came out a decade ago.

*end of rant*

22 minutes ago, reflection_of said:

*rant*

The adventure games were buggy and had plot holes as well. Yet people still like those games for what they are. I think that 06 was unfinished and flawed. But I notice that people tend to hate things that are in 06 simply because they are in 06. People started hating characters and story because they were in 06 and to this day SEGA is still afraid of implementing story and characters out of fear of this one game that came out a decade ago.

*end of rant*

The Sonic Adventure games never fucked up as hard as 06 did. SA1 hadminor plotholes that could be overlooked and SA2 while havimg a lot of plotholes, still had a better story than 06.

06 story= Saving the orincess 9001 times. SA story= Stopping a Water God. SA2 story= Stopping Team Dark from obliteratimg the world +Shadows Past.

I think you get my point.

While SA1 had glitches, they were out of the way usually and I only started to notice them when I started to speedrun the game. SA2 is (from my expierience) practically bugless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic adventure may appear glitchy and messy now, but when it came out it was way superior than other console game out at the time.

The speed and control (fast, yet fully 360° movement), graphics, story telling, music, level settings and atmosphere were mostly industry leading or otherwise on par for that time period. 

It shits me when people say 'it hasnt aged well'. What matters is that it was ground breaking when it came out...something that no other sonic game since has acheived.

I actually liked the kiss in Sonic Next-Gen. It alludes to the old fairy tale, "The Princess and the Frog". I honestly don't get why people cry beastiality or lose their minds over a flipping kiss. I bet you that whoever cries "beastiality" doesn't even know the definition (person having sex with an animal). All in all, it's just a freaking kiss; get over it. I don't know how many people on here still complain about it, but I still see people complain about it elsewhere and it infuriates me. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It's one of those popular yet unpopular opinions again. Sonic Unleashed by the fans for some is their favorite 3D Sonic game and I can understand why from the great graphics to the characters to the gameplay, at least for the HD version. Sort of agree since I found it a decent game with the most bothersome part being the QTEs (its not my favorite however it is at the Top 5).

The Wii version though I agree on what some of the fans think that it is the lesser version but disagree on what reviews think that it is the better game. From me playing it the past two days, no way! I knew the Wii version wasn't as good as the HD version (thought it was just lack of daytime stages and Empire City gone) but didn't expect it be that much worse.

Firstly the daytime stages (well the few the game has), Sonic's steering is all over the place making him hard to control, felt like a shopping trolley. I've bumped into so many walls and even died on stages because he went too far towards a direction that you didn't want to go in. Very hard to actually go left to right unless it is Quick Step, even then its not enough and takes a while to adjust direction by stopping. The brake doesn't help much either. It must be down to the acceleration. I didn't have this problem very much on the PS3 version.

Strangely the Werehog controlled a bit better even with the motion controls, only the game having problems recognising the grab and the dash again is slippery direction wise.

The main problem is because you can't skip the story, when you have already seen the story before, it is tiresome and playing the waiting game until you can control the game again. I've "played" for 35 minutes today and only 10 minutes 10 seconds of it was gameplay (1 level, 1 boss and a tutorial) the rest were cutscenes and a couple of minutes selecting icons. On the HD version, at least you had hubs to go around jumping and finding secrets/doing missions when you're not on a level. Related to this you saw Tails being rescued from a monster, on the HD version you actually fought that enemy so you could sense something was missing. I've completed one part of the game just by fighting a boss!

Also I am finding the game boring to play, not just the problem above but also the Werehog stages having different level design being a bit more flat and empty.

• Thumbs Up 1

some of my unpopular opinions.

The Werehog is not that bad (you just need to level him up a little first)

I like Secret Rings and i can definatly see why people don't like it

Silver the Hedgehog is my 2nd favourite character in the series!

Sonic Riders was an awesome series, i personally think if you spend time to learn the controls it's a really addictive, fast paced racing game with quite a lot of charm.

I don't like Archie Sonic comics/characters. i'm sorry guys i have tried but i feel like im reading a fan fiction everytime. though that said i think ian flynn is doing a great job of the recent issues, from what i've seen anyways.

i dislike Shadow the Hedgehog as a character

• Thumbs Up 2

A popular opinion that I disagree with is the idea that Sonic and Elise's relationship is wrong because its bestiality. For one, Sonic and Elise are both sapient, so they are capable of understanding and consenting to a romantic relationship. Also, in my fanon, I consider Sonic anthros and humans to simply be two breeds of one species due to their similarities in intelligence and anatomy. I do, however, agree with the popular opinion that its a bad relationship. This is due to its terrible, cliche and unrealistic writing, though, not because of bestiality. I also think the kiss scene looks incredibly weird, but that's just because the duo were designed with two different kinds of uncanny proportions.

A popular opinion is that I like the boost formula a lot. Its very fun and there's a lot of strategies that you can put into it-- it is easy to learn but difficult to master.

An unpopular opinion I hold is that I actually like the Boom redesigns-- even Knuckles. Sure, they could do without the sport tape, but I see them as very practical. Sonic's scarf would protect his neck from the wind when it runs, Tails's goggles have been shown to actually be used to protect his eyes, Knuckles's physique actually makes sense given his strength, and Amy's outfit represents her newfound maturity while still retaining a bit of charm. Even the sport tape could be argued as useful for protecting their limbs from strain, as that's how its used in the real world.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Knuckles' physique in Boom is justified only by "it makes sense for him" than Sonic in Boom too should have buff legs for the same reason.

Just now, blade57331 said:

If Knuckles' physique in Boom is justified only by "it makes sense for him" than Sonic in Boom too should have buff legs for the same reason.

He already has longer legs.