Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

4 hours ago, blade57331 said:

If Knuckles' physique in Boom is justified only by "it makes sense for him" than Sonic in Boom too should have buff legs for the same reason.

Not necessarily-- running often leads to the formation of lean muscle mass, which adds strength but not a lot of bulk.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, blade57331 said:

Fast-runners does have buff legs. And Sonic is rather fast runner.

Reveal hidden contents

marathon_sprinter1.jpg 

Unlike the runners you pictured, Sonic can go past the speed of sound. For that, I imagine Sonic would have to be quite light and aerodynamic-- so being bulky wouldn't be beneficial to him or other hedgehogs if they're also capable of reaching those speeds. Knuckles doesn't go as fast as Sonic does, so he can afford to be more bulky.

Em, it would be beneficial. In order to achieve fastest speed by foot, you would need/have buff legs. If new design was suppose represent in what Sonic is good at, then yeah, he should have buff legs, Unless that rule applies only to Knuckles...

1 hour ago, blade57331 said:

Em, it would be beneficial. In order to achieve fastest speed by foot, you would need/have buff legs. If new design was suppose represent in what Sonic is good at, then yeah, he should have buff legs, Unless that rule applies only to Knuckles...

For the speeds people in the real world go at, yes. But not at the speeds Sonic is going. Once you start getting close to the speed of sound, bulk becomes a liability since it adds weight and width, making it harder to dodge stuff and adding air resistance. Not to mention that thinner legs, with sufficient strength, take less energy to move at high speeds since they have less mass.

Knuckles, on the other hand, can't go anywhere near the speed of sound, but does have an interest in bodybuilding and is intended to be the best of the bunch in terms of raw power, so his physique makes sense.

Finally got that analysis of Iizuka's answer done. Be thankful you get a spoiler tag, because this is not a little scrap of text. Also I copied this from Tumblr, but it's my writing I copied.

This is going to be a loooong one, so get comfy. 

Above is a video which contains the second part of the Iizuka and Naka Q&A from Summer of Sonic 2016. At about 5:44 onward, the question asked is about the Chaotix’s transition to Heroes. In case you haven’t guessed, that was my question, and I’m really happy that it got picked for asking.

So anyway, there’s a lot to be gleaned from Iizuka’s answer, and bring up a lot more interesting possibilities and questions regarding the past. So, I’m go to approach it backwards as that would be the simplest way to tackle it.

-The dynamic of the Chaotix; According to Iizuka it simply fell into place. Essentially, that means they got the personalities in place, decided their profession based on their gameplay style (as said in a different interview) and then were just like “Right, how would they likely respond in such and such a situation?”. This certainly fits in with the Chaotix’s more character-driven approach, as opposed to some other characters who are more plot-driven, and probably explains why their dynamic feels more organic than perhaps a few others. 

-The personality and characteristics on an individual level are a bit more complex to explore. Let’s start easy; Iizuka says that they wanted to bring to life the three characters they created that were in the original design doc. In this case, “they” likely refers to Sonic Team as they were the ones behind the creative drive of Heroes. And once again, this supports the idea that their individual creators were part of Sonic Team (so my estimation of Ohshima for Vector/Espio and Hoshino for Charmy still holds water). 

-Next up, the categories that they fit in for Heroes. According to Iizuka, they just happened to fit them. From evidence, Charmy easily fits flight, and Espio can be fairly safely fitted into speed based on any of his appearance, but Vector as power is more of a stretch going by Chaotix alone. He’s big, sure, but not so big in the way of muscle tone (especially when you have Mighty the Armadillo right there with him). His later pre-Sonic 1 concepts fit there much better, but I want to revisit that later.

-Now here’s where things start to get sticky and cover new historical theory ground. As said before, Iizuka mentioned an original design doc that the characters were in that they wanted to breathe life into. Here’s the mystery; what was this original design doc, exactly? It could just be the classic part of the franchise, but then there’s so many characters that haven’t been revived from it, in that case. As such, it seems more specific than that. The key words, “that we created”, seemed linked to the doc, and to reinforce that I want to look at Sonic R again, and design trends post-Adventure.

When I looked at creator credits all that time ago, all the games seemed to fit into a nice little pattern...bar Sonic R. It was made by Traveller's Tale, but the character design credit was with (now) veteran Sonic Team artist Uekawa. At the time, I thought the disregarding of Sonic R with the other spin-offs was just a side effect of it being made by a third party. But, as Ian Flynn revealed recently, notes from SoJ about the franchise continuity stated that Sonic R was canon.  And while this seems completely random on its own, the character design credit actually makes it perfectly sensible. And while the characters themselves were never used again, you can see influences in later Sonic games if you look hard enough (the dolls in Final Egg all look Tails Doll-esque, the original E-Series concepts were way more similar to Egg Robo, and a robot Knuckles thing appeared in Sonic Advance. You could even theorise that Eggman wanting to copy abilities outside of Sonic’s went from other robots like Metal Knuckles to just altering Metal Sonic to be able to absorb multiple data streams, but that’s extrapolation). 

As for Adventure-onward design credits, looking over them they’re actually very in-house despite the variety of places they’ve debuted. 

>Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, Sonic ‘06, the Storybook games, Unleashed, Colours and Sonic Lost World were all Sonic Team efforts. Certainly Adventure was mainly Uekawa, Hoshino apparently had a hand in at least Shadow if not more SA2 debutees, Silver’s concept art also has Uekawa written all over it (even if the writer would also have a say like Iizuka did in SA2), and I don’t doubt that the other games listed were a combination of those usual talents (and Honda). 

>The Advance games and Rush were Dimps, but it seems Uekawa still handled the character designs for them (which is how Cream so seamlessly got transferred to Advance 2 for a debut). As such, he likely had a hand in THQ’s Battle designs (namely Emerl), and the same applies to the Riders series (namely the Babylon Rogues). Even different continuities get this, in case we’ve forgotten Sticks. And Uekawa stepping into a third party to handle character designs has been a thing since...well, Sonic R!

>Now, this list isn’t exhaustive, but there are two notable exceptions to this modern trend; Hudson’s Sonic Shuffle and BioWare’s Sonic Chronicles. In the former, Uekawa was an adviser, but the actual lead character artist was Manabu Yanagisawa (with others doing character art as well). His only credit I can find from a quick Google search is Mario Party 4, so he’s definitely Hudson and not Sonic Team. Sonic Chronicle character artist appears to have been a guy called Nick Thornburrow, who...is the probably the furthest away from Sonic Team out of any of the character designers. And wouldn’t you know it, they’re literally the only Sonic games whose exclusive characters have never been referenced in games since their debut, not even collectible galleries. Heck, the only reason it isn’t no references whatsoever is because of the promotion of Chronicles in Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics (to promote it having just come out in Japan, it was a 2009 release there), and even most of that turned into the Sonic Heroes special stage reference.

Okay, so what’s the point I’m trying to make here? In essence, this design doc seems to have been a gathering of the old Sonic Team-made elements to be either recycled for later ideas or to be put onto the back burner until a later time. It also seems to have acted as an actual purge of anything not created by Sonic Team or their associated artists (which is what pretty much all the scrapped characters left once the Sonic R characters are removed are). I don’t think it’s because of copyrights, because those old characters still do feature in picture galleries on occasion (Sonic Gems, Sonic Tweet) and scrapped characters do get into the Sonic Channel fanart gallery rarely (this month has a piece of fanart solely focused on Fang, even!). Could it be the sense of pride that Japanese developers are sometimes known to get? Don’t want to speculate that far, that becomes assumptions in real life people. Although that would explain why Shade didn’t get a profile when Chronicles was released when everyone else (ie Marine, Chip, Werehog, Black Knight on wallpapers) was getting new profiles and Sonic Channel art to promote their games...

On a tangent, there is one question that this brings up; if this was containing all Sonic Team concepts, why were the very old unused concepts like the band and Madonna left out? Maybe it only counted for concepts that actually made it into game realisation? Or maybe, like Sonic R’s characters, the ideas behind them were recycled in various other parts of the franchise or dropped when not necessary? Many people compare Elise to Madonna, the idea of Sonic in a band made it to art and renders done both in the classic and modern era, Mach’s apparent rivalry with Sonic was redundant with Knuckles and Metal Sonic, even without Shadow, Jet and (to an extent) Silver coming along, Max being a straight man isn’t really necessary when there’s like a dozen personalities to bounce off instead of four (and some of them have straight man traits themselves), and Sharps being the serious, cool guy who shows off his abilities but can also be victim to pratfalls...well, let’s just say Vector ended up with that anyway. And speaking of which...

-And then we get onto the personalities. In essence, according to Iizuka, they were unchanged from that design doc. But that brings up more questions, so let’s look at them.

> Espio’s personality gets a little more elaboration than the others, Iizuka saying that they decided to give him “a ninja-ry twist”. This little emphasis on what changed corroborates perfectly with Hoshino’s recount of the character change when he spoke on Espio being his favourite from the game “Chaotix”;

“I think Espio was my favourite Chaotix - I like his Samurai-like abilities and stoic personality. Later on, when I created Sonic Heroes, we actually considered strengthening his character and turning him into a ninja.”

Now, Espio’s behaviour in Chaotix doesn’t really give off stoic vibes to me, but neither does Sonic the Fighters, so that could have been derived from either Espio. The Japanese manual doesn’t really help because all it says is that he has a sense of justice, is a “strong, single-minded character”, and was envious of Knuckles due to his ties to the ancient civilization he had been researching. I want to say it was more derived from Sonic the Fighters both because more of his visual cues in Heroes are taken from that than his Chaotix self, and because of the other two personalities. 

With this being true, I don’t doubt that what he said for the others would be true as well, and thus we get into the more interesting personality implications.

> Charmy is described as being fun, and that certainly is a primary trait in Heroes. But when you look back at Chaotix, there’s hardly a sign of that. Even in Japanese, his profile calls him prideful and precocious. While on the one hand that does infer that he was a child in the Japanese version despite having no stated age (precocious only refers to younger people, usually children), this doesn’t explain where the fun side came from. In the one strip we’ve seen of the Manga he debuted in, this also doesn’t really explain it since he’s pretty serious in that one (and can turn back time, but that’s not here or there). So we have to trot out the ol’ other Manga Charmy design to judge that.

Ah, thank goodness the Sonic Wiki caught it. You can count on them for art.

Aside from the known fact that this Charmy shares a jacket in the design that Heroes Charmy would adopt, his single appearance in this panel looks much closer to the personality Heroes Charmy would show than his earlier Manga self and his Chaotix self. Even the way he’s presented is more reminiscent, with him chirpily pointing out the obvious or telling a joke with Sonic and Tails screaming at him to shut up and help them (probably). And saying that this style of comic shared the personalities with the game characters was a precedent (Amy Rose being the other example) gives weight to the idea that this was the framework for Charmy that was in that design doc. 

> And then we drag in Vector. His Chaotix profile lists him as cheerful and an optimist, with a strong group consciousness, a difficulty in fighting and, moreso than anything else, very spiritual. While his current version shares some of those traits (music loving most primarily, but in Chaotix it ties into an overall more sporty theme), he’s certainly not the biggest optimist, he’s doesn’t find it difficult to fight and he really, really isn’t spiritual, to the point where he does a 180 and is just vice central. Or at least, he does a 180 going off that. Now while his band concept art doesn’t elaborate on anything, the one piece of promo art he got does, in a very roundabout way.tumblr_inline_obrn0iO2eF1u99s5k_540.jpg

So there’s the more power-type physique from earlier, but one thing I usually ignore that’s taking the stage here is what he’s doing. The other two characters in the picture are breaking open the champagne and having a drink. Proto-Vector, despite having such big arms to carry stuff with, has still managed to get so much food and drink that it’s spilling out of his grasp. Regardless of any other traits we haven’t seen from any other piece of promo art due to cropping and being covered up, one thing’s for certain is that this guy is one greedy git, something that Heroes Vector would pick back up after Chaotix Vector dropped it. So it seems that formed framework for that design doc as well. 

Even after all that, there’s still gaps in the story of the Chaotix from creation to Heroes that are still kind of patchy. For example, the Charmy Manga shot seen above was part of a batch of Manga to be uploaded like the ones released before about half a decade ago, but the guy translating unfortunately stopped, so is there a chance someone else could take the reigns and upload the full thing eventually? Will there ever be clear shots of the promo art for the Sonic band stuff that isn’t obscured by screenshots in a British magazine no-one really owns any more? Heck, will we ever see anything on Espio’s development, and not just know the basics of him being designed as a protagonist straight off and designed with ‘cool’ in mind? And does that old design doc still exist in some form in a cabinet somewhere?

But overall, I got a lot of information out of that answer, both reinforcing what I’d already included and bringing new material to make my understanding even stronger. I’m glad I asked, and I’m even more glad the SoS guys picked it as a question to be asked in the Q&A.

Also his immediate response to the full question in English was hilarious to witness in person. :3c

• Thumbs Up 4

And now from an analysis to a review, somewhat kinda. I bought Retro Gamer's Sonic-focused issue today (No. 158), and I've read through the nine page feature. 

-The main feature is a retrospective history of Sonic through Sonic 1-3, with a twist in that it's interspersed with an interview with Iizuka. I wouldn't say there's anything too new (although it's interesting to read Iizuka's time with Sonic before he worked on Sonic 3), but it's very comprehensive and makes a pretty good summary/guide to that era, and how its influencing the Sonic games of today. It's this section where the 3D games reception in the fanbase is mentioned. How much? This is the entire part talking about that;

"The change of direction in the 3D era has often been a point of contention amongst long-term fans of the series,[...]"

That's it. And that's on the fourth to last paragraph of the article, and it relates to how the classic game influence has gone up in recent years. It really knows how to concentrate on the purpose of the article and not the usual fluff that's often jammed in. 

-Throughout the ten pages, there are little featurettes, 

> The first one is dedicated to mods, and five have been highlighted as ones that Retro Gamer like. The mods chosen are Sonic Megamix, Sonic 1: The Next Level, Sonic VR, Sonic Classic Derby and Big's Fishing Derby (with a namedrop for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3). 

> The next one is an interview with Peter Robinson, and his immense Sonic Collection. He certainly has a lot of stuff.

> Then there's the character feature. This one best fits into unpopular opinions because this one has points people may or may not agree on. That's why this is the only section I've scanned in (not scanning the rest, it's still on sale for goodness sake). 

zMUQ85N.jpg

And yes, it's just the Heroes playable cast covered, so no Babylon Rogue, Blaze or Silver opinions here. Might ask him about that.

>There's an interview with Svend Joscelyne and Adam Tuff on Summer of Sonic! It basic covers the origin and how it's grown from there.

>The last section is just information on the two titles releasing in the future, Sonic Mania and the unnamed Sonic Project 2017. Why are you guys shouting some nonsense about ire and rice? 

-The article images are mostly screenshots of the Mega Drive games discussed, but it is interspersed with the Sonic 1 concept art, there's a couple of screenshots from more modern games and the featurettes have their own specific images.

-Also the "March of the Mascots" section mentions Crash and his appearances coming up in Imaginators and the remakes. I approve of pimping out Crash as well. 

In fact, I approve of this article as a whole. Nick Thorpe is touted as the Sonic fan of the Retro Gamer writing team, and this article makes it really clear that's not just blowing hot air. It's well researched, interestingly laid out, with enjoyable little side pieces that delve into other aspects including the community side of Sonic. I like it.

tails9.gif

He surprisingly wasn't as dickish about the other characters as people usually are when making articles for Sonic, so that's definitely something.

Oh look, I'm actually posting an unpopular opinion and not an analysis or review this time, what a shock!

I'm...actually pretty disappointed with the way the comic has handled Amy and Rouge's character dynamic post-reboot. Sure, Rouge in the games isn't so antagonistic to her and the other girls that she would forfeit the world of one of them for the sake of another jewel in her collection. But at the same time, she's never been shown to be particularly friendly towards Amy either, to the point where they seem to have a degree of vitriol against each other. Getting rid of that in favour of them being the sensible types that can get along easily erodes the potential that could be gotten from having them butt heads stemming from how their personalities naturally clash. It also makes the female dynamics on the game side, and the hero side (I would say game hero side, but it sort of applies across the board) less dynamic since all the females just get along fine. The only game character that would definitely break the pace up is Wave...but as luck would have it, the Babylon Rogues haven't even appeared post-reboot yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh look, I'm actually posting an unpopular opinion and not an analysis or review this time, what a shock!

I'm...actually pretty disappointed with the way the comic has handled Amy and Rouge's character dynamic post-reboot. Sure, Rouge in the games isn't so antagonistic to her and the other girls that she would forfeit the world of one of them for the sake of another jewel in her collection. But at the same time, she's never been shown to be particularly friendly towards Amy either, to the point where they seem to have a degree of vitriol against each other. Getting rid of that in favour of them being the sensible types that can get along easily erodes the potential that could be gotten from having them butt heads stemming from how their personalities naturally clash. It also makes the female dynamics on the game side, and the hero side (I would say game hero side, but it sort of applies across the board) less dynamic since all the females just get along fine. The only game character that would definitely break the pace up is Wave...but as luck would have it, the Babylon Rogues haven't even appeared post-reboot yet. 

I actually prefer them be friends, while im not a fan of "the girls have to be sensable" because not aknowleging or allowing female characters to make mistakes and actually regret said consequences is a bit of tropey kind of rooted in ....some less than steller female character treatment.

The trope that I hate worse is female characters  hate eachother...because...reasons. There isnt any actually explanation for them to fight right now. Rouges being a sociopath doesn't hurt their respective missions and both characters are fairly friendly. That isnt to say everyone has to get along, I could easily see sally not liking rouge at all and vice versa. And not to mention idealogical beef, while I think knuckles and shadow's thing is forced I could easily see all the archie freedom fighters for their own specific reasons just resenting shadow. These things are interesting and get into what makes these characters individuals.

I just dont think amy and rouge ever really had that. Its just one of those things people imagined it was more a thing than it ever was and it was never really a thing.

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I just "don't" think amy and rouge ever really had that. Its just one of those things people imagined it was more a thing than it ever was and it was never really a thing.

Oh, they had it alright. Just not in places people cared about. Sonic X and Sonic Chronicles are the only times where this really happens, maybe Free Riders...I doesn't really remember that game's cutscenes very well. It's typically just an automatic assumption that two primary females on opposing sides have to hate eachother, accompanied by the fact that they also have contrasting or just completely opposite personalities.

It also happens in Sonic Battle, but it's more one-sided.

Well, this is a VERY unpopular opinion. I hate archie sonic and SatAM sonic. 

Also I love Sonic Heroes, I've heard lots of people call it an average game or that they dont like it but I don't agree with them. I think this is an unpopular opinion atleast.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Oh, they had it alright. Just not in places people cared about. Sonic X and Sonic Chronicles are the only times where this really happens, maybe Free Riders...I doesn't really remember that game's cutscenes very well. It's typically just an automatic assumption that two primary females on opposing sides have to hate eachother, accompanied by the fact that they also have contrasting or just completely opposite personalities.

It also happens in Sonic Battle, but it's more one-sided.

In free riders rouge and shadow are just super shitty for no reason so no one liked them in that game. So by virtue of everyone having beef with them amy and rouge did have beef.  I forgot about chronicles but sega dont care about that game, so can you blame me. But yeah I guess it did technically happen.

I dont think they have contrasting  personalities. I just think Rouge is just a sociopath, like take treasure team tango for example, everything seems to go fine until precious gems are invovled. I dont think they dont like each other, its just gems and shadow trigger rouge's sociopathy

25 minutes ago, Spinez said:

Well, this is a VERY unpopular opinion. I hate archie sonic and SatAM sonic. 

Eh... I dont think thats that unpopular.

Its unfortunate for me because i like the comic.

8 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh... I dont think thats that unpopular.

Its unfortunate for me because i like the comic.

Oh, I thought it was because random people attack me whenever I say I don't like them that much. I haven't met anyone who didn't like the comics. Also, I don't mind if other people like it.

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I dont think they have contrasting  personalities. I just think Rouge is just a sociopath, like take treasure team tango for example, everything seems to go fine until precious gems are invovled. I dont think they dont like each other, its just gems and shadow trigger rouge's sociopathy.

What I mean by contrasting is:

Amy Rosey the Rascal: Childish but caring and easily tempered. If we describe the main 4 as Team Sonic, she'd definitely be the heart...despite being a tag-along typically. She's also weak, having to use a weapon to fight.

Rouge da Batty-girl: She's a Sassy older girl with a job, yet can also be flirty (in a seductress sorta way)...usually calm and level-headed. She's the actual leader of Team Dark. She's also a skilled fighter

Not necessarily getting into morality...Rouge never really was on the bad side. The Dark side.

44 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What I mean by contrasting is:

Amy Rosey the Rascal: Childish but caring and easily tempered. If we describe the main 4 as Team Sonic, she'd definitely be the heart...despite being a tag-along typically. She's also weak, having to use a weapon to fight.

Rouge da Batty-girl: She's a Sassy older girl with a job, yet can also be flirty (in a seductress sorta way)...usually calm and level-headed. She's the actual leader of Team Dark. She's also a skilled fighter

Not necessarily getting into morality...Rouge never really was on the bad side. The Dark side.

That description of rouge is kind of off. For a few reasons.

Rouge has been shown on multiple occasions to get quite angry, sometimes quite easily, amy and rouge just have different triggers on what gets their goat. But for the most part they both have pretty calm temperaments and can both can get worked out, they are actually simular in that regard. Amy getting way less aggro over time.

Along with that, shadows the leader of team dark, she kind of admits that. She will follow shadow anywhere even if the world turns against him. He's the leader and she' cares about him alot, she just talks a good game. Her existence on the team is a negotiator a spy and back up. Shadow is the point man.

On that note, I wouldn't call her a skilled fighter, she's as skilled as everyone else is in sonic. I mean amy gets down with a hammer, can take down giant robots. Would you not call that skill? Out side of literal children cases of charmy and Cream, everyone knows how to throw hands. So it isn't particularly a differentiating factor for her or amy. Also I wouldn't call her weak, because whether its her swinging it hard enough, that hammer weighing a ton or both, girl can hurt people and destroy metal robots with that thing. She is far from weak, just because she uses a weapon isnt enough to denote that. Shadow is not only a strong fighter in the sense of competence and abilities, but has actual super strength, but wont hesitate to pick up a gun or a sword. That doesn't make him or amy weak, its just choices. And considering Amy in the last SU saved rouges butt with that hammer, and the last time rouge was in combat, she got wrecked and broke her arm and she even had a team mate, amy as of currently seems a hell of a lot more competent than rouge atm.

The older girl with a job part I kind of get, and I wish that fact that everyone on team dark is technically under employ came up more often, but for amy she has a job " being a hero" , and at least in the comic, that's a legit thing she's on a squad and the comic much like games have been slowly sliding away the idea that she's much younger than sonic, because that doesn't really do anything for her character at all, nor is it necessary for her character to function. Heck boom amy does away with it entierly and just moves her into a team mom role. Something that her character had been doing with cream for a while, before blaze came up, who is actually important in this discussion

I probably wrote to much, but to get to the point , I don't think they are that different. I don't think they are contrasting much if at all. Blaze is amy's opposite, in temperament, ideals, goals, how they fight, who they are, and how they handle situations. Outside of liking sonic and having a sister like relationship with cream , blaze and Amy are actually opposites and I wouldn't be surprised if her original intent during creation was to be a contrast to amy. But rouge? I think the only contention hat had was rouge's occasional super sociopathy,

On 21.08.2016 at 10:58 PM, VEDJ-F said:

Same goes for Amy and Knuckles. As little interactions as they have in games, they usually don't get along (or even care) for one enother. Which is weird seeing opposite of it in comics. And it kind of makes their relationship a lot more blanded.

On 6.08.2016 at 11:43 PM, Mad Convoy said:

For the speeds people in the real world go at, yes. But not at the speeds Sonic is going. Once you start getting close to the speed of sound, bulk becomes a liability since it adds weight and width, making it harder to dodge stuff and adding air resistance. Not to mention that thinner legs, with sufficient strength, take less energy to move at high speeds since they have less mass.

Bit of late with it but eh... How do you know about rules of getting close to the speed of sound by foot?

7 hours ago, Niko said:

A popular opinion I disagree with the most is that unleashed sucked/wasn't good, I see a LOT of people hating, and I don't understand why. I loved the game to pieces, the story was interesting, sonic stages were really good and werewolf stages weren't that bad either, they gave the game a new feel and it was something original other than just speedrunning through the stages.

A lot of people aren't fond of the werehog.

that's kind of it. There is a reason everytime someone suggests how to fix the werehog, they go " make it knuckles"  people really really aren't fond of that thing. The day time stages are really good , and the werehog stuff is eh... but the worst part about is the werehog. The werehog and chip ruined that experience for many.

That isn't to say a lot of people don't like the boost and that type of gameplay, that's valid. I'm just pointing out that a lot of people don't really like the werehog. And not in that shadow way where he's still super popular, they just don't like him. You would be surprised how much a character can sour an experience for a game for some people.

7 hours ago, blade57331 said:

Same goes for Amy and Knuckles. As little interactions as they have in games, they usually don't get along (or even care) for one enother. Which is weird seeing opposite of it in comics. And it kind of makes their relationship a lot more blanded.

I think Ian is a bit too intent on 'redeeming' characters he thought were seen as jerks by the fan base. Amy suffers in chemistries in particular, treating her as super happy girlfriends with Sally and normally pleasant with Knuckles (probably to debunk her being a jealous maniac to Sally or a domineering bully to Knuckles like she was in X). The problem is that no conflict means no funny chemistry or personality can seep through. They could have just made it a more vitriolic friendship where Amy butted heads while still having caring moments, thus Amy keeps her slightly bratty, argumentative side without looking like a perpetual bitch about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how popular this opinion is, but i loved Sonic and the Secret rings. it's fun for me.

I also loved Shadow the Hedgehog as a kid.

I haven't picked up either of those games in a while. secret rings because it costs a fortune in AA batteries to play the wii. i could dust off my gamecube though. havent played the box in a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, an_actual_stone said:

I'm not sure how popular this opinion is, but i loved Sonic and the Secret rings. it's fun for me.

I also loved Shadow the Hedgehog as a kid.

I haven't picked up either of those games in a while. secret rings because it costs a fortune in AA batteries to play the wii. i could dust off my gamecube though. havent played the box in a while.

You could buy a charger and some rechargable AA batteries. Of course, that is a bit more expensive than regular AA batteries...at first. But at least then, you won't have to buy a new pair for a while. So I guess you're saving money in the long run

Can't remember if I said these, but I honestly think that as loaded with plot holes as 06 was, it could have been worse.

Let's look at a certain CLAMP manga, there was an inter-reality time loop/paradox. Even 06 was not that extreme, as only one universe was caught in issues. Sure, 06 had had alternate timelines when Sonic saved Elise, yet there was a time loop in Silver's mission, yet all those timelines were erased when Solaris was destroyed, but an iner-reality paradox that still had paradoxes in the end is still worse, in my opinion. Sure, it was not the best story, but still not the worst I've encountered.

The werehog was quite fun for me, as I grew up on cheesy beat 'em ups. Jason Griffith blew me away by being able to voice normal and werehog Sonic.

No one brings him up, but I thought Joji Nakata was very unique as Gamma. Don't remember too much of the Japanese voices.

I do agree that the current Knuckles is not quite what I liked about him in the early 3D games.

On August 24, 2016 at 2:59 AM, E-122-Psi said:

I think Ian is a bit too intent on 'redeeming' characters he thought were seen as jerks by the fan base. Amy suffers in chemistries in particular, treating her as super happy girlfriends with Sally and normally pleasant with Knuckles (probably to debunk her being a jealous maniac to Sally or a domineering bully to Knuckles like she was in X). The problem is that no conflict means no funny chemistry or personality can seep through. They could have just made it a more vitriolic friendship where Amy butted heads while still having caring moments, thus Amy keeps her slightly bratty, argumentative side without looking like a perpetual bitch about it.

And risk winding up slapped with the very problem you highlighted the writers trying to avoid.

Don't get me wrong, that not a guarantee, and that would be something interesting because they have managed to pull off things that left people wondering how they could work with them. But fans have shown they're not entirely sensible about minor things, like that. That might be selling Archie way too short considering how the Archie fandom is one of the more sensible subgroups compared to those that favor the games, but it wasn't always like that, and I think there's good reason why they try to skirt things they feel might pose problems critically speaking. Says a lot that the whole Amy vs Sally thing is even around as fans have are known to overblow friendly vitriol, good chemistry be damned, so I don't blame them making characters like that to be more amicable to avoid that nonsense.

Well I like every sonic game so theres that xD

That and I have to say, 3D blast is the best side game in my opinion. The saturn version mainly, its just so amazing and beautifully made, I admire its style and music, and everything else a lot

On 26 August 2016 at 5:15 PM, Lime/Key said:

No one brings him up, but I thought Joji Nakata was very unique as Gamma. Don't remember too much of the Japanese voices.

I thought Steve Broadie was a good English translation (RIP), though from what I heard from Nakata, his voice was pretty good. They both did a decent compromise of robotic and solemn. A perfect calm and gentle warrior. It's a shame Nakata didn't reprise Gamma in Sonic X (especially since he did other voices such as Dark Oak). I especially love how he did this trailer for SA1. It's so basic and yet it instantly establishes Gamma as sorrowful and endearing:

'E-102. Codename Gamma.

A robot created by Dr Eggman.

The master's orders are absolute.

Things that get in my way will be destroyed.

The blue hedgehog is my enemy.

...But...

...Is that really ok?...

Is it ok that I was created for this?'

On 26 August 2016 at 9:10 PM, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

And risk winding up slapped with the very problem you highlighted the writers trying to avoid.

Don't get me wrong, that not a guarantee, and that would be something interesting because they have managed to pull off things that left people wondering how they could work with them. But fans have shown they're not entirely sensible about minor things, like that. That might be selling Archie way too short considering how the Archie fandom is one of the more sensible subgroups compared to those that favor the games, but it wasn't always like that, and I think there's good reason why they try to skirt things they feel might pose problems critically speaking. Says a lot that the whole Amy vs Sally thing is even around as fans have are known to overblow friendly vitriol, good chemistry be damned, so I don't blame them making characters like that to be more amicable to avoid that nonsense.

It's something I feel the games Amy is underrated for (at least in the mainstream ones). Sure Amy has some unhinged or obnoxious moments but they can have her interact decently with other characters without flanderizing it into 'Loves Sonic, complete bitch to everyone else'.

I do agree it's not exactly an easy to please situation, especially for those who find Amy's default characterisation obnoxious anyway.