Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

....*poke*

Eh.

Okay, so someone asked about how Silver and Espio interacted in Sonic Rivals 2, so I decided to answer that by looking up a transcript.

...I don't get where people got the idea of them becoming close friends from, they hardly even broach being friends. Their dialogue stays very much on business terms throughout despite Espio foregoing gathering evidence for saving the world, and they just leave on very generic "thank you"s. No wonder it got ignored by Sonic Team. 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well they're not exactly buddy-buddy by the end of the game but there is a mutual understanding between the two. I'd say it counts for something atleast even if Sonic Team probably will never acknowledge it.

• 2 weeks later...

I Don't feel motivated to post in this topic right now, because i would prefer to post something detailed and informative in this kind of topic. as such. i would use something like "Dragon" to type out my text in order to avoid getting lost in train of thought. but i'm just gonna post something with discussion-fidelity in it. to get an good point across.

okay here it goes :

-Sonic fans,/people whom love to hate/put-down the developers (Sonicteam/Dimps/Someone whom isn't involved with an classic sonic game) are massive tools. 

i see this a lot here, and amongst other sonic discussion anywhere. people who talk shit about the devs, probably have no practical understanding how an devteam actually goes about it's days in the office, and just assume sonic1-3k were made from miracle work. the funny thing is. where they love to bring up glitches and bad-parts of the games to make their point. Sonicteam were also involved in PSO2, which is more exciting to a regular gamer/person who plays more than sonic games, than an derivative 2d platformer "made by fans, for fans" as such, if the same people whom put down Sonicteam/Dimps here were in involved in actual game development. their only ideas to prove themselves in the industry is making an sonic-inspired game with an lack of any real identity of its own. primary influenced by genesis-era level designs rather than what those game's levels were based on (Obscure Japanese Scifi illustrator artwork from the 60s-80s) don't get me started on the whole "freedom planet main character, being an dragon" thing either. 

and it's not to say, the devs don't mess up or anything like that. but it's funny how some of these loudmouth devteam-haters drag out their dislike. and act like themselves can't fuck up if they were in the business. (example: Sonic2HD, maybe.)

also, compared to other fangame makers, i would prefer to get payed. (i don't make fangames though) rather than "express my creativity" because i can do that with putting games on steam. almost any indie-dev does that. preferably the ones who don't make 2D-Sidescrollers or tribute-games.  

(EDITING-TIME!)

Walking dead is on, and i was just thinking. 

-i want an sonic-game to have an acoustic or "triple-a mainstream story-based videogame" theme in its game-trailers, anyone here remember any of the "The Witcher 3" trailers? where they had Ben Howard's "Oats in the Water" i want an song like that in an sonic game trailer, it's makes the game feel atmospheric and legitimate "adult" without sex/violence/cursing/drugs/relationships. case in point. The Witcher, is one of the few M-Rated game series (along with Halo) that actually feels mature, without the bombastic things other M-Rated games or shows/movies do. 

Elaborating on that.

-I want an sonic-game, made by Yasumi Matsuno (Ivalice Alliance, Vagrant Story. FFXII. FFT) if he was put on board for one, i think he could do an interesting spin-off tactics sonic game, set in the times of the echidna tribe. or possibly an something else that was like Crimson Shroud. 

Edited by Fr0zenanus
simple editing, don't want to accidentally double-post.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thrash was the true hero of Mobius. He made the world a safer place in one issue than Sonic the Hedgehog did in the entire series.

Thrash is the hero that was needed.

An unpopular opinion that I have is that Sonic 2 is not even in the realms of the top 5 best 2D Sonic games. My reasoning for this is simple, the bossess in Sonic 2 are absolute garbage, especcially in the later levels.

Mecha Sonic is one of the worst boss I have ever gone against. He's increadibly easy, and you get the hang of his attacks after a few attempts, but because he has a limited hitbox and Sonic isn't precise enough to easily hit that limited hitbox consistantly, it is so easy to die while trying to attack him. You die far more trying to hit him as opposed to dying because of his attacks. Awful boss designs like that are persistant throughout the game, and even the popular Giant Mech is painfully repetitive and boring. 

Most of the bosses from other Sonic games are, at worst, tolerable, and at best, absolutely amazing. That said I need to replay Sonic 1 and 3. 

Ice Cap, Carnival Night Zone, Launch Base Zone themes are terrible. Oh, and I can't forget Ice Cap, Ice Cap suuuucks.

Boring, never getting better... The PC themes are way better (Probably duo to nostalgia, but is the same for Ice Cap lovers)

Fight me bitches.

Those are what you constitute as bad?

Dude, Marble Garden should be there too. And Hydrocity. Actually, pretty much all Sonic 3 music is garbage. 

Ugh, don't remind me of Marble Garden. That stage alone made me stop my playthrough of Sonic 3 & Knuckles for awhile.

And I agree that Sonic 3's soundtrack sucks, at least the original music. The PC music is pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marble Garden is probably my candidate for worst single zone in the entire franchise, if not the classic era. Not only is the music bad, it's the only stage that puts me off not for unfair difficulty but sheer dullness. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't believe this. I honestly can't believe this. I found people who actually hated the Genesis version of Sonic 3's soundtrack and prefers the PC version. I don't like it due to Jackson's supposedly (confirmed by now?) involvement and, yes, I've played the PC port first. 

I also, never really liked Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Too easy (I still suck at Sonic games and platformers in general).

Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but I find the Sonic Boom TV Show kinda boring and not very funny. I find it too slow-paced for my taste, the environments are a little bland, and a lot of the jokes just kinda fall flat to me. Still better than Sonic X, though. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The Adventure games...eugh. I just can't get into them anymore. I tried playing through them the other day and they just have not held up well. SA1's engine in particular, is a buggy, unpolished, mess. I couldn't play them for more than an hour, Sonic's sections are no where near as fun as I remember them being, and with the rest of the gameplay styles I'm just bored to tears. Sonic 3&K and Sonic Advance is how you do multiple playable characters correctly, and I'm glad they realized that. I've never been a huge fan of the Adventure titles anyway, but I underestimated how poorly they've aged.

39 minutes ago, Zippo said:

The Adventure games...eugh. I just can't get into them anymore. I tried playing through them the other day and they just have not held up well. SA1's engine in particular, is a buggy, unpolished, mess. I couldn't play them for more than an hour, Sonic's sections are no where near as fun as I remember them being, and with the rest of the gameplay styles I'm just bored to tears. Sonic 3&K and Sonic Advance is how you do multiple playable characters correctly, and I'm glad they realized that. I've never been a huge fan of the Adventure titles anyway, but I underestimated how poorly they've aged.

What version of the game did you play? When I played the game on the Dreamcast emulator for the first time a few years ago I quite enjoyed it, but when I got the PC port, I had the same issues like you. I've heard that each port they make is even buggier and less polished than the last one and even the lighting is much better on the original.

28 minutes ago, Mauricius said:

What version of the game did you play? When I played the game on the Dreamcast emulator for the first time a few years ago I quite enjoyed it, but when I got the PC port, I had the same issues like you. I've heard that each port they make is even buggier and less polished than the last one and even the lighting is much better on the original.

I played DX on the GameCube, I like the updated models more than the originals but I still got bored with the original. I have the original Japanese version of Adventure 1 (not the international version) in my collection and I hear that one is the buggiest version of Adventure that there is.

Unpopular Opinion: Ryan Drummond is probably Sonic's worst voice actor game-wise to this date. (Not counting the Schoolhouse one.)

That's not really saying much. Considering there's only been 3 VG VAs for Sonic the Hedgehog, that's still a default bronze medal. A nasally hedgehog doesn't sound cool, I get that.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, still kinda counts since many people regard him as the best VA for Sonic.

Anyways, another unpopular opinion I have is that I like the Werehog stages in Unleashed more than the Classic Sonic stages in Generations, mainly because I'm more into hack-n-slash beat-em-ups than I am into the Classics. Also, wasn't a fan of the physics and controls in the Classic stages. They aren't bad, and they don't ruin the game-play for me, but it always feels kinda off when playing through his stages. While the Werehog's fighting sections are bit repetitive at first. and his stages can go on longer than they need to, his platforming sections make up for it, and once you upgraded him a bit, his fighting bits can get really fun to play as, with all the moves you can perform with him. Also, I can tolerate longer stages as long as the level design is decent to me, so yeah.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/5/2016 at 6:35 PM, CuzEyeCan said:

Unpopular Opinion: Ryan Drummond is probably Sonic's worst voice actor game-wise to this date. (Not counting the Schoolhouse one.)

I disagree with you passionately.

But, I respect your opinion.

Unpopular opinion: I think '06 should get a proper reboot.

Popular opinion: I think Unleashed has the best story in the series.

I like to imagine Sonic's "animal friends" in the classic games as partially anthropomorphic and capable of speech, as they were depicted in some old media such as Fleetway and that one "origin story" comic. This does kind of match with their character designs and official artwork giving them humanoid traits (including some standing on two legs and having hands). Really, for some of them (such as Ricky, Picky, and Pocky), all you would really have to do is increase their size, give them shoes and gloves, and make them just a tad more stylized (like making their legs longer and more noodly), and they could pass for fully anthropomorphic Sonic characters. Plus, they're referred to as Sonic's "friends", and personally I guess I just don't really see Sonic as the "makes friends with wild animals" type.

• Thumbs Up 3

Small animals are really one of those "don't think about it too much" things in this series. I feel like early on there was some attempt to equate them with Sonic, that he was just one animal that was tough enough to fight back, but that got dropped pretty quick and they started treating him more and more like he was just a short, spiky human. And that leads to the awkward situation where there are 3 or 4 distinct kinds of beings; the animals of dubious sentience that you rescue, anthropomorphic animals like Sonic himself, humans, and possibly realistic animals if you don't roll them into one of the previous groups (tempted to group them with humans though tbh). And then you have certain kinds of animals with representatives in more than one group, so you have these small, questionably-sentient rabbits in one game and then basically-just-short-people Cream and Vanilla in another, and like...what is the connection there? What kind of world produces Flickies, the Babylon Rogues and Bean, and Hatsun the pigeon?

It's the kind of thing I wish could be cleaned up, but I couldn't even guess how to do it, because each group fills a different sort of role. Anthros are proper characters, small animals are sympathetic but disposable (no one mourns the fate of the squirrel in the one Motobug Sonic didn't bop), and realistic animals are pure background (for things like the "what can you eat without feeling like a cannibal or murderer" question). You can't really merge or drop any of them without losing something.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

On 10/2/2016 at 3:39 PM, CuzEyeCan said:

Idk if this is an unpopular opinion, but I find the Sonic Boom TV Show kinda boring and and not very funny. I find it too slow-paced for my taste, the environments are a little bland, and a lot of the jokes just kinda fall flat to me. Still better than Sonic X, though. :P

I can't say I fully agree with this. While I do agree that the show could have a faster pace and definitely expand on it's environments as well as the townspeople sucking bar some few exceptions, I thought the show was entertaining and actually had me laughing to the point of tears at several points. If I was to marathon Sonic Boom Season 1 there would be only 2 episodes I would be willing to skip over as I found the other 50 episodes to range from really good to decent.

I guess the main drive for me as far as Sonic Boom is concerned and entertainment is the actual character interaction, which is something that I am very big on. It doesn't help that we've been starving for it in the main series. And Sonic Boom gives us plenty of it as a whole. Especially in the cartoon.

Image result for Sonic Boom Meh burger

From Team Sonic doing things together such as watching TV

5SdV9lX.jpg?1

Or having a pillow fight :P 

fYbwxzn.jpg?1

To commending one another. It's the character interaction among the main characters that makes this cartoon so enjoyable for me and I absolutely love it :)

Another thing I loved about Sonic Boom is that if you were observant enough you would catch references not only to previous episodes, but other things from the Sonic franchise such as video games and even other Sonic cartoons. I really enjoyed making those discoveries among other things I enjoyed with Sonic Boom.

I can go on and on as there is more where that came from but I'll stop here. As for being better than Sonic X, that really isn't a hard thing to do unless you are Sonic Underground ;).

• Thumbs Up 4

Unpopular Opinion: Sonic X's Japanese version is quite good.

Let's not forget that the Sonic R soundtrack isn't bad either.

4 hours ago, Kiah said:

I guess the main drive for me as far as Sonic Boom is concerned and entertainment is the actual character interaction, which is something that I am very big on. It doesn't help that we've been starving for it in the main series. And Sonic Boom gives us plenty of it as a whole. Especially in the cartoon.

I woudn't say that Boom necessary fills that gap of lack character interactions since in Boom they are different characters.

Their bonds are quite different from their main series counter-parts.

Exactly. That and the fact the humour isn't to my taste is why I don't support the Boom brand at all, and never will probably. 

• Thumbs Up 1