Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I think Sonic Boom is hilarious at points, but overall it comes across as a bit bland, which turns me off from it. Even if the individual jokes are sometimes good, there are definitely misses too, and most of all, the "context" supporting the humor doesn't do a lot for me - the characters' lives come across as boring because they don't really do much other than hang out and fight a really pathetic villain. Overall, it lacks energy and "bite". I see why others might like it, though, as it's definitely enjoyable in places and even has moments of comedy gold. Maybe sometime I'll give it another try, as I only watched about twenty episodes, but it's not something I can see myself falling in love with.

On 10/15/2016 at 11:09 PM, Diogenes said:

Small animals are really one of those "don't think about it too much" things in this series. I feel like early on there was some attempt to equate them with Sonic, that he was just one animal that was tough enough to fight back, but that got dropped pretty quick and they started treating him more and more like he was just a short, spiky human. And that leads to the awkward situation where there are 3 or 4 distinct kinds of beings; the animals of dubious sentience that you rescue, anthropomorphic animals like Sonic himself, humans, and possibly realistic animals if you don't roll them into one of the previous groups (tempted to group them with humans though tbh). And then you have certain kinds of animals with representatives in more than one group, so you have these small, questionably-sentient rabbits in one game and then basically-just-short-people Cream and Vanilla in another, and like...what is the connection there? What kind of world produces Flickies, the Babylon Rogues and Bean, and Hatsun the pigeon?

It's the kind of thing I wish could be cleaned up, but I couldn't even guess how to do it, because each group fills a different sort of role. Anthros are proper characters, small animals are sympathetic but disposable (no one mourns the fate of the squirrel in the one Motobug Sonic didn't bop), and realistic animals are pure background (for things like the "what can you eat without feeling like a cannibal or murderer" question). You can't really merge or drop any of them without losing something.

At first it may be confusing, but at the end of the day I actually kinda like the fact that the Sonic series casually throws in multiple varieties of anthropomorphic animals. In my personal opinion, people care too much about setting up "rules" when it comes to anthropomorphic animals, while I think it's best to just try to accept things and roll with it. Honestly, I don't see a particular reason why anthropomorphic animals, non-anthropomorphic animals, and humans can't just exist in the same universe. And I don't see why the fact that anthro and non-anthro versions of the same type of animal exist should really be considered a major problem; at first it may be weird, but I think it can make it more obvious that the anthros and non-anthros are different, which actually ADDS clarity. And anyway, no one who's not looking for a weak argument against evolution is confused by the fact that humans, apes, and monkeys all exist in the same world. Sure, it may be weird, but if you're willing to just accept it, I don't think it really creates any issues.

In conclusion, here's a 1942 Loony Tunes cartoon in which Porky Pig is a waiter at a diner serving a human customer and casually mentions "bacon and eggs" without so much as a joke being made about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 06/10/2016 at 6:35 AM, CuzEyeCan said:

Unpopular Opinion: Ryan Drummond is probably Sonic's worst voice actor game-wise to this date. (Not counting the Schoolhouse one.)

He starts off well, but in SA2 something happens and then by Heroes he's complete trash. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

And anyway, no one who's not looking for a weak argument against evolution is confused by the fact that humans, apes, and monkeys all exist in the same world.

Well the evolutionary tree of apes, monkeys, and humans is straightforward enough, but it's not really an explanation for the different beings in Sonic. What gets me about it is, did dozens of animal species independently evolve into suspiciously similar anthropomorphic forms, or was there a common anthropomorphic ancestor that diverged into dozens of different forms that just coincidentally resembled a bunch of unrelated species? Either way seems like a huge stretch, and it only gets more complicated with humans and small animals mixed in.

33 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well the evolutionary tree of apes, monkeys, and humans is straightforward enough, but it's not really an explanation for the different beings in Sonic. What gets me about it is, did dozens of animal species independently evolve into suspiciously similar anthropomorphic forms, or was there a common anthropomorphic ancestor that diverged into dozens of different forms that just coincidentally resembled a bunch of unrelated species? Either way seems like a huge stretch, and it only gets more complicated with humans and small animals mixed in.

It would be a valid question, but honestly, I'm convinced that the way the Sonic series handles anthropomorphic animals probably has a lot more to do with the Western tradition of funny animal cartoons than it has to do with any sincere attempt at science fiction world-building. And I actually think some of the inherent appeal of funny animals is the inexplicability of their existence, and the casualness with which that inexplicability is treated. It's fine to speculate, but I don't think the series is interested in a logical explanation, which is also true of most funny animal series in existence.

I know you're thinking in-universe, but the point is, it's not something I think Sega or Sonic Team care about even a little bit, so there will probably never be any canon explanation. It's just headcanon territory at this point, and will probably always be that way. Sonic is a pretty cartoony series that doesn't really have much in the way of world-building, just scattered bits of lore that are rarely even taken advantage of. Even when it tries to take itself seriously, it doesn't seem to care much about an explained, consistent universe. So asking for serious considerations about the evolution of Sonic characters is probably not something you should bother asking for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but for me. 

Sonic X is an way better show, than Sonic Boom.

primary because Sonic Boom is just downright boring to watch, and everything it does. just feels "by the numbers" and predictable. it could of been another preachy social-commentary cartoon, if it wanted to. judging it was on Cartoon Network...

not to say Sonic X, is good (or bad in it's entirety) but looking back on it, it has things going for it. it's something i watch in the vain of watching an forgettable but kinda entertaining, lesser-known 90s/early 2000s anime. it also came from the rare-part of the series that wasn't strictly worrying about the reception of the games, and just said "look, here's concepts and ideas we added to this cartoon. let's just go nuts"

that, and i think the universe in Sonic X is actually more enticing than maybe the games? i just like what suppose to be in it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I still really like Sonic and the Black Knight and don't have major complaints about it.  Admittedly, though, the whole beat em up format with lots of focus on combat isn't really traditional Sonic gameplay, so some of the reasons I like the game are unique to it and don't have much to do with the rest of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think Sonic Boom! At least in terms of characterization is better than Sega Sonic... for the most part.

Granted it does screw up characterization a lot for the comedy angle but at least the characters are more rounded than they are in cannon Sonic.

Maybe this isn't as unpopular as I think, but I don't know. Anyway Sonic 

Spoiler

4 both 1&2

Never seemed that bad to me. It's itself and if you just ignore that it's supposed to be classic like it really gets to you in a good way. Or not, but it does for me

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Flare Sol the Snivy said:

Maybe this isn't as unpopular as I think, but I don't know. Anyway Sonic 

Hide contents

4 both 1&2

Never seemed that bad to me. It's itself and if you just ignore that it's supposed to be classic like it really gets to you in a good way. Or not, but it does for me

Exactly how I feel about them. That's also how I feel about "Shadow The Hedgehog": Yes, compared to the other Sonic games it's not fun, but if you treat it as it's own entity then it's fun. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I also agree that Sonic 4: Episode 1 & 2 weren't that bad. They were decently fun games to me. They just really shouldn't have been called "Sonic 4", that's all.

• Thumbs Up 4

My unpopular opinion is that I actually hate playing as Super Sonic. In boss fights, he tends to control in an overly floaty and/or clunky way and as a result he's more frustrating than satisfying to control. Though its less bad for me in 2D sections and levels as the controls seem to be tighter, its still annoying enough to simply not be fun. Final bosses with Super Sonic are always a letdown for me too, and I wind up dreading that I'll be forced to use Super Sonic at some point instead of feeling pumped for the final boss.

In levels, his invincibility makes everything super boring as you literally just press right/up, collect rings, and jump occasionally to win. But if you do get yourself in a predicament (eg get trapped in a spike pit), you're going to be stuck for a long time. Its utterly tedious.

I don't even like his design that much tbh. He's literally just Sonic recolored to look Super Saiyan. Bleh.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mad Convoy said:

But if you do get yourself in a predicament (eg get trapped in a spike pit), you're going to be stuck for a long time. Its utterly tedious.

That's a weird criticism to bring up considering it's only really happened once in the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Diogenes said:

That's a weird criticism to bring up considering it's only really happened once in the series.

My point was that Super Sonic still isn't that fun to play as for me even when there comes a situation where he isn't totally invincible.

My unpopular opinion is that I would infinitely prefer it if games made other characters unlockable as opposed to Super Sonic. Like, imagine getting to play as Shadow or something after getting all the Red Rings in Colors or unlocking Knuckles in Lost World all complete with their abilities.

I mean, don't get me wrong I love Super Sonic. As a DB fan and a general fan of all things shounen, everything about Super Sonic is awesome to me, his design, his over powered-ness, all the final battles where he's needed in most games are so cool, the whole shebang. I just feel that unlocking other characters would be more worth while to me than a Sonic that can run faster and jump higher. This would also be cool for people who'd like to play as a character that isn't Sonic, they'd be a totally optional and out of the way unlockable, and it'd remove the possibility of a character being 'forced' into a story just for the sake of it like Amy and Knuckles in Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 5

I really don't like the Sonic Archie Comics. Admittedly, it's been a while since I last read them, so I could be remembering them wrong, but I don't like the huge amount of OCs and fan service in them (Are they seriously still using Sonic SatAM characters in it?) and I'm not a fan of some characterization of the characters. 

That said, I do like Sonic Mega Drive, though.

10 minutes ago, CuzEyeCan said:

I really don't like the Sonic Archie Comics. Admittedly, it's been a while since I last read them, so I could be remembering them wrong, but I don't like the huge amount of OCs and fan service in them (Are they seriously still using Sonic SatAM characters in it?) and I'm not a fan of some characterization of the characters. 

That said, I do like Sonic Mega Drive, though.

And what is wrong with the SatAM characters? At least they are not shit like segas chracters

8 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

And what is wrong with the SatAM characters? At least they are not shit like segas chracters

To be perhaps a bit uncharitable: Mary Sue love interest, tech guy walrus is redundant with Tails around (or would be if Tails wasn't completely OOC), French stereotype, southern belle stereotype, and a dragon because...???

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

To be perhaps a bit uncharitable: Mary Sue love interest, tech guy walrus is redundant with Tails around (or would be if Tails wasn't completely OOC), French stereotype, southern belle stereotype, and a dragon because...???

Thank you, and I don't even hate the SatAM characters. Just don't care for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Amy Rose is more sue than Sally could ever hope to be (plus the complaints about Sally are unfair as most of her issues were written by idiots who hated her)

Rotor being a techie came before Tails (that was not seen until sonic adventure)

And Antoine and Bunnie did have some good character development in the comics moreso than any character in the core universe.

As for Dulcy, yeah she is the worst character in SatAM

Segasonic sucks still

8 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

(plus the complaints about Sally are unfair as most of her issues were written by idiots who hated her)

"Only the parts I like are valid, all the parts I don't are an evil plot against her!" Sure, sure...

Rotor being a techie came before Tails (that was not seen until sonic adventure)

Tails was a techie from the start, the old Western continuity just ignored this. Consider this, from the Japanese Sonic 2 manual:

Then came that one early afternoon. Miles found a beautiful aeroplane down at the beach. Miles loved all sorts of machines and vehicles, and he practically tripped over himself running towards the plane.

And how he was able to repair and upgrade the Tornado after Wing Fortress.

Anyway it's pretty obvious you're just here to fanboy about an ancient cartoon.

• Thumbs Up 1

And you are only here because your a fanboy of a franchise that has become a joke over the last decade with crap games and werewolf sonic.

I say were even there :D

Well its not like my complaints are invalid in the end, and I know I am not the only one who has them.

This franchise has sucked quite hard post adventure in my not so humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

1 hour ago, CuzEyeCan said:

Thank you, and I don't even hate the SatAM characters. Just don't care for them.

Perhaps the same reason for Pink Sonic, Dumb Meathead, and Fat Mad Scientist, which is...??? Because it's cool? Fun? Unique? Something? Take your pick.

And you guys are like several years behind (if not 2 decades) if you're talking about their Archie comic characterizations given that they've developed far beyond stereotypes as much as the Game Cast they stand alongside equally. That Mary Sue isn't a mary sue anymore, that Tech guy walrus specializes in weapons while Tails specializes in robotics and aerospace, that French stereotype is anything but, and the list can go on.

That being said tho...

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

I will defend the SatAM to hell and back, but the SatAM characters from strictly the cartoon alone has aged like stale milk and is grating as hell to watch. They are just as lame character-wise if you're comparing them to the worst of the game cast.

• Thumbs Up 5