Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

4 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I will defend the SatAM to hell and back, but the SatAM characters from strictly the cartoon alone has aged like stale milk and is grating as hell to watch. They are just as lame character-wise if you're comparing them to the worst of the game cast.

No I say the SatAM characters hold up better than any of segas attempt at making new characters.

I can defend a lot of things about SatAM too you know, it is the best Sonic show in my opinion.

Is it flawed? yes but what isnt?

This isnt just nostagia talking too,

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think a lot of Sega's characters are that great, either. Just saying. I just find it a little weird how they're still using these characters from a 1993 cartoon that doesn't have any thing to do with the current canon at all, that's all. Then again, the comics are apart of a different universe from the games, so what do I know?

9 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

No I say the SatAM characters hold up better than any of segas attempt at making new characters.

I can defend a lot of things about SatAM too you know, it is the best Sonic show in my opinion.

Is it flawed? yes but what isnt?

This isnt just nostagia talking too,

That's sounds like nostalgia talking to me, and I'm not saying that to be a dick.

Keep in mind that those SatAM characters were present mainly because Sonic didn't have a consistent setting back in the early-90s that people paid mind to. But it's cast is holds up as poorly as that of the worst of the Game cast - main reason the game cast gets such flak is because their characterization fluctuates often to grating extents while the more consistent SatAM are considered more a product of the 90s as was its time, which given how a lot of 90s kids take pride in that era, are mainly holding such due to nostalgia.

Probably part of the reason why many here prefer their Archie counterparts over both the games and cartoons (especially post-reboot, despite being hardcore fans of the old comics) - they're modernized, three-dimensional characters that share spotlight with each other instead of being favored over the other.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well the comics do have merits over SatAM and segasonic.

Mainly being written better (some of the time though I really hate Ian Flynn)

• 2 weeks later...

Idk if this is unpopular, but I prefer Sonic 2 over Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I just enjoyed the levels and soundtrack in Sonic 2 more. There's a lot of stages I don't like in 3 and Knuckles, like Marble Garden and Carnival Night Zone, whereas I liked most of Sonic 2's stages with the exception of Oil Ocean Zone, and even then, I don't dislike it, it's just kinda meh to me, and I'm not really fond of Sonic 3&K's soundtrack either, while I do enjoy some of Sonic 2's music.

Also, I honestly would rather take the Half-Pipe over Blue Spheres. I really don't like Blue Spheres, it's too frustrating for me. I'm not a fan of the half-pipe either, but I find it a bit more tolerable than Blue Spheres, honestly.

I do like the level themes and boss battles in 3&K more than Sonic 2's own, though. Plus, Sonic 3&K gets major props for having multiple playable characters with unique abilities, bonus stages, and the elemental shields, so yeah, lol. Still like Sonic 2 more, though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Lost World is a good game in my opinion.
Sonic Adventure is better than Adventure 2
CD is my favorite of the classics.
And....Yep I am outta here.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm still iffy as to whether the comic characterisations are significantly better than how they've been going for ages. There is a LITTLE bit more life to them, but I'm still unconvinced with actual substance at times, especially with the SatAm cast. They seem like characters Ian's team are blindly trying to deconstruct despite not really understanding fan's complaints and failing to see anything wrong with them in the first place. None of the 'Sally was wrong for once' stories contributed much to giving her actual personality more foibles for example, compared to early comics/first season of Satam where she at least had basic ones like being intentionally written as an irritable control freak and suffering moments of humility from screwing up like Sonic.

I'm not saying the SEGA team are miles better really, but given the other medias currently tend to aim for more simplistic, tongue in cheek storytelling that doesn't require deep characters it's not as glaring or pretentious in method (though I still think Boom Tails is the most vibrant Tails has been in years).

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually find the comics kind of offputting sometimes because of how much they warp the characters or try to make them seem more interesting than they actually are. Simplicity is okay.

Another thing about the Archie Comics is that it feels like it's kind of more devoted to being fanservice first and foremost, which is fine, but I kinda wish Ian wasn't so focused on how much Sonic history he could pull up and logically fit into the universe or how many different characters he can fit into the series and focused more on the character interaction and the main which is what the comics are best at. I remember the Sonic the Fighters arc being particularly good about this, but not so much the stuff before.

I haven't actually read an issue since whichever one was right after Worlds Unite though, so maybe it got better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Things I think others may not.

I love Elise and Princess Sara

I enjoyed 06

The ova was the best anime

I blame young fans we didn't get a m rated shadow

And Archie's characters are pretty amazing

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry to butt in but I have a seemingly unpopular(?) opinion about this stuff; first of all, could somebody please tell me why everybody's always starting to talk about "current/real/something epic canon whenever discussion is going on about another canon entirely? Some just don't seem to think around it like I do, which I think makes things a whole lot easier to accept and understand. SatAM has it's own canon. Games have their own canon(s?). Archie has (as far as I know) two canons (pre-reboot & post-reboot). Even AoStH has it's own canon as far as I'm concerned. So, talking down on comics (or anything else for that matter) purely because it doesn't macth perfectly with the game canon isn't that valid. Just to make this clear; the canons aren't really supposed to match perfectly with each other.

Pretty much the only real thing that kind of connects all canons is the fact there's that one blue hedgehog in every one of them. One just can't disarm other canons and their fans by saying "it's not part of the canon". What is really this "The Canon"? Even games are sometimes a bit confused about their canon if we're to call game canon to "The Canon". As far as I'm concerned this logic of shouting canon every time you see something different is pretty invalid.

But maybe those guys are living in an entirely different canon than me and I should just be quiet. I don't really know, this just bothers me a lot sometimes...

At the same time, one of the reasons for all games-stuff getting all over the comics (at least after reboot happened) might be the fact Mr. Flynn and others really needed to start from the scracth after reboot. Also it could maybe be because Sega's keeping possibly an eye on them more strictly or something. And keep in mind that basically Mr. Flynn is a fan working on a material he likes. It can also explain a lot of stuffing in, both pre- and post-rebootwise.

I'm not a fan of Advance games, honestly. I love how they look aesthetically, but the level design in them just kinda ruin the experience for me. The enemy placement is so bad, and a lot of obstacles are unpredictable because of the GBA's screen crunch 

Oh, and don't get me started on accessing the special stages, especially in Advance 2.

~I've thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood and am super bummed that it's very unlikely to receive a sequel to tie up that cliffhanger, hopefully SEGA will try their hand at another Sonic RPG in the future. 

~Additionally a new Sonic Riders would also be cool, I love All Stars Racing as much as the next guy but it's been quite a while since the Blue Blur showed off his Extreme Gear skills and it would be cool to see the Babylon Rouges return.

~Big is actually pretty awesome. 

GvfFvNG.png

(I'll think of more later.)

I personally think Secret Rings is worse than Boom, 06, and Shadow. The motion controls, level design, and on-rails scheming are utter trash. The minigames are Wii shovelware level, something that console is infamous for. Having Sonic 2006, Genesis and Secret Rings one after the other is like getting kicked in the balls, shat on and then dragged into a ring where you get kicked in the throat repeatedly. There was a reason Sonic was known as a laughing stock back in those days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic and the Secret Rings was actually well received at the time, so it wasn't actually a reason Sonic was a laughing stock back when it came out. 

Don't think this is a defense of the game though; I thought it was terrible when I played even back then too.

18 hours ago, TheJollySaintSilver said:

Well, it's been sometime since I've posted here, let's get to it then! Anyway, I'm going to be talking about Sonic Generations and a little bit on the 3DS version as well. Sonic Generations HD for a game that came out in 2011 is still a great game today in my opinion, I sure did appreciate the music, stages and the graphics! Story was pretty average, but story doesn't mean everything in a game to me it's usually all about gameplay. Controls were pretty tight as well, both Sonics felt very responsive to buttons you pushed which is a great thing! I'm gonna be honest here, I honestly loved playing as modern more than classic Sonic, don't get me wrong though classic Sonic had his moments in that game too. I also enjoyed the mini boss fights against Silver, Shadow and Metal Sonic, they were fun for what they had to offer in the HD versions of the game. Lastly those side mission were pretty fun, but honestly some of them got me frustrated and tense, but it made me feel better once I did complete them. The side missions sure did add some replay value to the game as well. 

On to the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, it's an okay game. I beat the story mode, so I guess that's something. The graphics were alright for a 3DS game, I say they were passible. The Time Eater was easier to fight in this version I'll say and it was nice to see that classic Sonic got to use the homing attack later on in the game. Also, I know some of the bosses were different in this version, I think you fight Biolizard, a Sonic Heroes boss and another one I can't remember at the moment. They were okay bosses, but honestly too easy. Biolizard had an awesome remix of Supporting me, which is one my favourite music tracks from that version of the game. Oh yeah, Sonic Generations 3DS also had special stages which were fun and had great music, I found them really easy too. Overall the 3DS version of Sonic Generations was an okay experience to start to finish. 

I think I'm done now. 

This is not really an unpopular opinion though, while there has been more criticism attached to it since it's release five years ago. it's still often considered by many to be one of Sonic's best games in recent years.

Oh yeah, let me contribute something to the thread.

• I like a lot of characters that people tend to typically hate on (Silver, Cream, Big, etc) i think they had potential to be good characters, But bad writing and design prevented them from reaching their true potential.
  • Sonic SatAm is (in my opinion of course.) one of the worse Sonic adaptations ever. (No offense to SatAm fans. if you love & adore this show, then that's cool.)
  • I don't like the idea of Sonic having a love interest. (Whatever it's with a Man or a Woman) I just don't see him having one without him becoming very OOC in the process. (it's one of the reasons why i didn't care for SatAm.)
  • Sonic & the Black Knight is one of my favorite Sonic games. and i feel like it gets too much hate because of the sword mechanic.
  • I think Sonic is more popular in Japan then people think it is. After all why does he get exclusive stuff there that we don't if he's not popular?
  • Sonic CD is the worse game in the Classic Saga. The music & visuals are really good, but the level design is convoluted and unfocused. and the bosses are very lackluster and anticlimatic compared to it's predecessors & it's successor.

Okay i'm done for now.

58 minutes ago, BlueBlur91 said:

Sonic CD is the worse game in the Classic Saga. The music & visuals are really good, but the level design is convoluted and unfocused. and the bosses are very lackluster and anticlimatic compared to it's predecessors & it's successor.

I have to agree really. Of course that hardly means I hate CD. The main trilogy of games are such a high level that being inferior to them hardly means CD is awful. It is still however the most hap hazardously executed however, and while it's uniqueness makes it fun to gaze at, it's probably the most underwhelming to play.

Unless of course we count Knuckles Chaotix as part of the Classic Saga, CD was at least a more solid effort than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I have to agree really. Of course that hardly means I hate CD. The main trilogy of games are such a high level that being inferior to them hardly means CD is awful. It is still however the most hap hazardously executed however, and while it's uniqueness makes it fun to gaze at, it's probably the most underwhelming to play.

Unless of course we count Knuckles Chaotix as part of the Classic Saga, CD was at least a more solid effort than that.

I typically don't count Knuckles Chaotix as part of the Classic Saga, due to Sonic obivously not having a big role in it. (He doesn't even appear until the good ending.) but yeah i agree, Sonic CD was miles better then Knuckles Chaotix. i'll take the unfocused level design in CD over the confusing as hell level design in Chaotix.

It was more the complete blandness of the level design that bugged me about Chaotix.

CD's levels were a bit maze like and short, but at least had lots of interesting little gimmicks. For Chaotix, well, let's put it this way. The water level doesn't even have water.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a good thing, that co-op ring mechanic would've been janked by the water physics. Didn't need something like that making the game worse.

Rise of Lyric's badness was and is drastically exaggerated. The only reason it got the reception it did was because it's a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 3

If I ever get a chance to play Sonic 06, I think I'll enjoy it for the most part. I'm not concerned about much beyond the infamous Silver ball puzzle thing.

Well, since I'm new here to this forum, I figure I'll voice my opinions here as the thread says. And let's see how many friends and enemies I make right off the bat LOL

Boom isn't bad, Sonic '06 was decent, I LOVE Knuckles' new redesign, and all of them for that matter, The only Sonic game I've ever really hated was All Stars Racing, I tolerate furries, not my thing, if that's yours cool, unless you're a pedo creepjob which sadly this IS the internet so there'll be a few of those somewhere. The best era of Sonic is Modern. My favorite character is Sonic. See, we're both blue. IGN can suck it. My favorite games honestly the Advance series. It's a memory thing for me. Time and place. Let's see, what else? I would love to see a return of Mighty or Ray, or Bean, or Bark. And yes, sometimes I do run with my arms behind my back like Sonic. People think we're dumb but it's aerodynamics.

That's all I can think of right now LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Dizcrybe said:

Rise of Lyric's badness was and is drastically exaggerated. The only reason it got the reception it did was because it's a Sonic game.

Counteropinion: It's true that the game only got the reception it did because it's a Sonic game...because no one would care about a game as godawful and creatively bankrupt as RoL without a famous name attached to it.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's literally no worse than your average crappy licensed cartoon game. What makes it stand out as being so much worse compared to, say, that one Rugrats game on the PS1, or that GBA Totally Spies game?