Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't have time to put this into my previous post;

Unpopular: Sonic games such as Unleashed had a better executed concept of garnering good rewards through exploring than the previous titles. I at first reviled this idea due to Unleashed having the flawed execution of Sun and Moon medals, yet after some thinking for quite some time I have finally come to an agreement with myself. Older titles such as Sonic 1-Heroes(including Mania)consistently provided similar rewards without shaking up the formula considerably or at times making it worse.

Sonic 1: Getting all emeralds will get you Super Sonic and unlock the true ending

Methods: Have 50 rings at the end of a stage and jump in the giant ring to gain the emeralds

Sonic 2: Same as Sonic 1.

Methods: Have at least 50 rings at a checkpoint post so it will teleport you to a bonus stage to gain the emeralds.

Sonic CD: Get all Time Stones so you can get the good ending without going to the past(this one I felt was at least better than the Super Sonic reward but that isn't factoring Sonic's method for going back in time, which is severely flawed. At least it's more interesting than the other 3).

Method: Same as Sonic 1's method.

Sonic 3: Get all emeralds to obtain Super Sonic and the true ending.

Method: Giant Rings are hidden in the stages so you must explore and jump into them so you can receive the emeralds.

Sonic & Chuckles: Same as Sonic 3 again, except this time these are the Super Emeralds so you can play Hyper Sonic and get to the final ending.

Methods: Also same as Sonic 3.

Sonic Mania: Same as Sonic 3.

Method: Same as Sonic 3 except for a difference in extra content. To obtain the extra goodies, you must complete 32 Blue Spheres.

Sonic Adventure through Heroes: Finish all the stories and receive the final level.

As you can see, the objective is the same. Get 7(or the bullshit 14) specific items to get to the true ending yet the methods are different(exploring or gaining 50 rings at certain points).

Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and CD were still figuring out on how to create a Sonic formula so I can at least understand this. Sonic 3 however, felt like it was an old tired aspect that honestly could have been developed better. Having to do 14 bonus games to gain some stupid transformations while overriding the neat-o new mechanics never felt great especially since exploring the giant rings stopped being fun after Angel Island. 

The modern titles weren't any better(Adventure-Heroes) In fact I'd say they were a little worse. Having to finish all the stories to get to the final stage is as irritating as it gets.

Mania as lovely as it got, decided to keep the mistakes of 3k(at least there is a dedicated Super Hedgehog button) while adding a little bit too much repetition to the table. I love the rewards you get collecting the medallions...But 32 blue spheres? Come on... No one jerked off that much to the blue sphere bonus stages where they wanted almost 3 times the amount of them. Makes the game the most repetitive out of the classic titles.

Sort of not really popular opinion...Maybe: The boost mechanics never improved. Unleashed presented the basic concept on how it should have been used. While it had it's issues, I can't say they failed opening up the possibilities for such a style.

Hint: It never took off.

Level Design doesn't matter if you don't add any new aspects of the formula. Generations was a Good game but wasted potential especially with Colors and Forces. Hashimoto said he wanted to go beyond the roots of Sonic, not keep going back for nostalgic sake. Why didn't you listen?

Unpopular Opinion: I feel the Sonic 3 formula should have been the template Team Mania used instead of CD/Sonic 2. Sonic 3 seemed had the most potential to be built upon rather than going back.

4 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Sonic 1: Getting all emeralds will get you Super Sonic and unlock the true ending

Methods: Have 50 rings at the end of a stage and jump in the giant ring to gain the emeralds

Super Sonic wasn't in Sonic 1, it just gives you the true ending. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

7 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'd say it's the most glaring moment she was like that, as any other moment she might have been like that was either hard to tell or actually fitted the moment.

I don't think most people liked how she was, even those who accepted that pre-Reboot characterizations had their own nuances from other canons. I know I didn't.

It’s still better than her STC-O portrayal. She is always a full blown villain there. She’s on level with Thunderbolt there.

• Thumbs Up 1

While Ian Flynn is marginally better than Ken Penders, he isn't a perfect writer with problems like Sally favoritism, too much worldbuilding in the post-reboot, rushed endings, arcs dragging on and a lack of focus at times. This is why I don't think he should be the only main writer. 

53 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

While Ian Flynn is marginally better than Ken Penders, he isn't a perfect writer with problems like Sally favoritism, too much worldbuilding in the post-reboot, rushed endings, arcs dragging on and a lack of focus at times. This is why I don't think he should be the only main writer. 

Well, maybe, I'm sure he isn't perfect, nobody really is. I dunno about that Sally favouritism though, conveniently I've been using most of my time spotting characters I enjoy (like the most obvious choice for example *kröhöm*) so I haven't really seen much of that actually. To be honest I haven't even tried to find it from the comics at all. -_-

The picture I've got is that many of these flaws he "has" boils down to this one "flaw" he (at least) seems to have; he tries to please ~everybody. Even when I'm pretty sure he knows it's impossible.

At least this one bit comes from that as far as I know. People say they miss the old lore and worldbuilding it had, he tries to do worldbuilding. Then people complain how there's no clear direction anymore. All these small things people get talking, he tries to please people, which leads to others getting pissed.

I think it's vital to hear out what your audience wants, but maybe there should be line for when to just stick to one's guns is the best choice.

And even if he's the only main writer, I'm pretty certain others can have their freedom of space just fine, at least I've got a picture like that about him.

And I suppose not all of these things aren't supposed to be left for just the writer to deal with, at least not in the ideal scenario I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/26/2017 at 3:55 PM, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Didn't have time to put this into my previous post;

Unpopular: Sonic games such as Unleashed had a better executed concept of garnering good rewards through exploring than the previous titles. I at first reviled this idea due to Unleashed having the flawed execution of Sun and Moon medals, yet after some thinking for quite some time I have finally come to an agreement with myself. Older titles such as Sonic 1-Heroes(including Mania)consistently provided similar rewards without shaking up the formula considerably or at times making it worse.

Sonic 2: Same as Sonic 1.

Methods: Have at least 50 rings at a checkpoint post so it will teleport you to a bonus stage to gain the emeralds.

Sonic CD: Get all Time Stones so you can get the good ending without going to the past(this one I felt was at least better than the Super Sonic reward but that isn't factoring Sonic's method for going back in time, which is severely flawed. At least it's more interesting than the other 3).

Method: Same as Sonic 1's method.

Sonic 3: Get all emeralds to obtain Super Sonic and the true ending.

Method: Giant Rings are hidden in the stages so you must explore and jump into them so you can receive the emeralds.

Sonic & Chuckles: Same as Sonic 3 again, except this time these are the Super Emeralds so you can play Hyper Sonic and get to the final ending.

Methods: Also same as Sonic 3.

Sonic Mania: Same as Sonic 3.

Method: Same as Sonic 3 except for a difference in extra content. To obtain the extra goodies, you must complete 32 Blue Spheres.

Sonic Adventure through Heroes: Finish all the stories and receive the final level.

As you can see, the objective is the same. Get 7(or the bullshit 14) specific items to get to the true ending yet the methods are different(exploring or gaining 50 rings at certain points).

Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and CD were still figuring out on how to create a Sonic formula so I can at least understand this. Sonic 3 however, felt like it was an old tired aspect that honestly could have been developed better. Having to do 14 bonus games to gain some stupid transformations while overriding the neat-o new mechanics never felt great especially since exploring the giant rings stopped being fun after Angel Island. 

The modern titles weren't any better(Adventure-Heroes) In fact I'd say they were a little worse. Having to finish all the stories to get to the final stage is as irritating as it gets.

Mania as lovely as it got, decided to keep the mistakes of 3k(at least there is a dedicated Super Hedgehog button) while adding a little bit too much repetition to the table. I love the rewards you get collecting the medallions...But 32 blue spheres? Come on... No one jerked off that much to the blue sphere bonus stages where they wanted almost 3 times the amount of them. Makes the game the most repetitive out of the classic titles.

Sort of not really popular opinion...Maybe: The boost mechanics never improved. Unleashed presented the basic concept on how it should have been used. While it had it's issues, I can't say they failed opening up the possibilities for such a style.

Hint: It never took off.

Level Design doesn't matter if you don't add any new aspects of the formula. Generations was a Good game but wasted potential especially with Colors and Forces. Hashimoto said he wanted to go beyond the roots of Sonic, not keep going back for nostalgic sake. Why didn't you listen?

Unpopular Opinion: I feel the Sonic 3 formula should have been the template Team Mania used instead of CD/Sonic 2. Sonic 3 seemed had the most potential to be built upon rather than going back.

The mistake was playing Sonic 3 and S&K together when you only should play the S&K part.

Mania's biggest issues is it looked at Sonic CD for it's level design and Sonic 3 for bonuses imo.

On 28 November 2017 at 7:39 PM, RedFox99 said:

Have to agree. He maintains a degree of whimsy trademark to the franchise that Penders completely neglected, but I think his depictions still suffer from being bland or pretentious at times. The main comics looked good during an era where the games and other medias were barely trying, but with occasional stuff making it's own effort like Boom nowadays (if in a very different way) that pedestal is gone. (Yeah, I know Ian writes parts of Boom, but he didn't make the whole show good, probably spot on with your belief he works better co-writing instead of manning the whole thing).

I actually tend to prefer his more simplistic comedic works like his stories for the X and Boom comics. Maybe also a reason his reboot quality was a little better to me, since it streamlined a lot of the story and allowed more links to the light hearted games mythos.

The more I look at Ian's Sally, I could argue sometimes it's maybe less his obsession with her and more trying to maintain the old SatAm dynamic with her and the other Freedom Fighters (where admittedly she WAS the co-star). The problem is I think Ian doesn't have a good grasp of them as characters, so they felt over shilled for what they could offer. He has a limited variation of flawed or quirky characters, generally besides the occasional angst and serious trauma, there's reckless bombastic hotheads and there's straight men/everymen. While depictions like the other Boom writers can make more meticulous introverted characters like Tails still vibrant and three dimensional, Ian either underplays them into careful, normally behaved types that are always right or has to temporarily derail them into reckless types to give them a flawed moment. Hence Sally's best defined vice was being bad at cooking or being a hypocrite about Sonic's recklessness (which he didn't seem to notice as a vice since it was NEVER called out). Bunnie and Rotor I struggle to think up what personalities they had by the end of the comics run, and while Antoine gained back a bit of his jittery, snobbish attitude, a lot of his limelight in fact revolved around him having grown out of it. In fairness this was to some degree an artefact from previous writers (even in Satam in fact) but Ian did not 'fix' much in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 24-11-2017 at 7:12 PM, SaberX said:

Popular: Sonic Rush series are good. Totally disagree, the physics, gameplay and music are mediocre for me. From time to time I tried played those games and sincerelly quit playing. It's better playing Advance 1 or 3 than this.

I agree with that Rush series’ gameplay doesn’t really click with me. It really feels like ‘hold right and boost to win’ gameplay most of the time with forced combat and platforming being clumsily integrated that it feels like a total pacebreaker and that there’s no way to react in time to a crushing platform or a bottomless pit if you’re going fast, and only can adapt to it from repeated trial and error. The music’s still fine to me though but yeah as flawed as the Advance games are I too prefer those over Rush for some reason.

A popular opinion I disagree with is probably that SatAM is god-tier. I'm sorry, but as much as I like some elements it spawned (Nicole and Bunnie Rabbot are two of my favorite Sonic characters), I just don't agree. I think the post-apocolyptic woodland setting is too bland and the story is cliche, and much prefer the varied, semi-futuristic Earth of the SegaSonic verse. I also think Game!Robotnik is a far superior and more interesting character than SatAM!Robotnik. SatAM just isn't what I love about Sonic. Plus, Sonic himself is written really badly.

A unpopular opinion I agree with that Unleashed is a great game. It gets a lot of hate, but I've always loved it. Beautiful levels, great gameplay, amazing character writing, heck, I didn't even mind the Werehog. And when you compare it with something like Forces which just seems so lazy, you can see how much effort Sonic Team put into crafting Unleashed. 

Unpopular Opinion: I also think that Princess Elise is not that bad of a character. Sure, I mean, sure. She is a badly written character, but at least she has a consistent role in this universe. That is more than I can say about most of the other characters. Blaze, Sticks, Tails, Silver, Shadow, Knuckles, Sonic etc. are actually all horrible written compare to her. No Joke. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Consistent role? She's only in one game...that literally means nothing in a franchise this wide and tonally mixed.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Consistent role? She's only in one game...that literally means nothing in a franchise this wide and tonally mixed.

And because of that I can see her as a better written character. Every other character's backstory has to be reset and changed for a new alternative lore. 

That's weird logic. But that's fine I guess, she's still a horrible great character...but hasn't the chance to be ruined even more than originally portrayed.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, NikoS said:

Unpopular (i think):

This

is way better than this

That's not unpopular that's just simple logic crush 40 makes everything better.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

• 1 month later...

Bringing Ian Flynn to write the games may not automatically make the stories better. Keep in mind that writing for comics is different than for video games, and I am not sure if he's ever done the latter before. Plus, he isn't a perfect writer given he has flaws just like Pontaff.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:33 AM, NikoS said:

Unpopular (i think):

This

is way better than this

The lead singer of Magna-Fi is awful so that's a given LOL. Most Crush 40 covers tend to be better than the original song IMO, aside from His World and Sonic Boom. 

• Nice Smile 1

On 1/14/2018 at 5:16 PM, Chaos Incarnate said:

The lead singer of Magna-Fi is awful so that's a given LOL. Most Crush 40 covers tend to be better than the original song IMO, aside from His World and Sonic Boom. 

To that end, I hope that one day they cover Fist Bump and/or Endless Possibilities.

• Fist Bump 2

Unpopular Opinion: The Sonic/Elise kiss wasn't cringeworthy or disturbing at all. I seriously don't get why that freaked so many people out and why it's considered one of the worst moments in Sonic the Hedgehog history. It really, really wasn't that big of a deal.

On 1/12/2018 at 10:52 PM, RedFox99 said:

Bringing Ian Flynn to write the games may not automatically make the stories better. Keep in mind that writing for comics is different than for video games, and I am not sure if he's ever done the latter before. Plus, he isn't a perfect writer given he has flaws just like Pontaff.

I don't think Flynn is a panacea for the problems the games currently have with storytelling either, as a lot of those problems are due to Sonic Team being inept (as seen with what a mess Sonic Forces was) but I have never agreed with the idea that because his primary experience is writing for comic books it means he probably can't do games. Ken Pontac and Warren Graff primarily localize dialogue for the Sonic games, and their background is TV, which I don't think would be difficult for Flynn to do. Even if the next game's narrative is garbage (which is... highly likely considering Sonic Team's recent track record and the dumb revelations they've made about the series that actually have no bearing on the games but we're expected to accept it because they said so), I'd like to see him have a try at the dialogue, which I think has consistently been a strong suit of his.

It can't be worse than "They've been torturing him for months!"

1 hour ago, Chaos Incarnate said:

Not gonna lie, I never did like the original all hail shadow until listening to it here. Might just be me being exhausted from the crush 40 version but i'm really loving Magna-fi's take on it (the guitar especially is just so so good).

2 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

Not gonna lie, I never did like the original all hail shadow until listening to it here. Might just be me being exhausted from the crush 40 version but i'm really loving Magna-fi's take on it (the guitar especially is just so so good).

Oh don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Magna-Fi version LOL it's so bad it's amazing. I love the guitar in it over the Crush 40 version. Cheesy butt rock at its finest; it's one of my favorite so bad it's good songs. I still prefer the Crush 40 version, but I do get why people prefer the original, since the Crush 40 version pops up everywhere. It's easy to get fatigued from an overused song. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1