Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

On 01/11/2012 at 11:39 PM, Alexander said:

This is one I actually agree with. I hate Sonic and the Black Knight. It's probably my least favorite Sonic game, and one of the worst games I personally have played. Despite that, I'm able to give credit where credit is due. I think it beats '06 in almost every aspect... but I really have to say, I would rather play '06 any day. As broken and embarrassing as that game is, at least it plays like a Sonic game... for the most part. It tried to build upon the foundation that Sonic Adventure had set. It ended up being a train wreck and is unpolished as all hell, but the core gameplay somewhat felt like Sonic at the time. Black Knight? You hold forward the entire time and wag the Wii remote. I'm sorry, but that's not fun in the slightest. It's just mindless garbage in my opinion. Black Knight is definitely a more polished game, and like I said, it beats '06 in almost every aspect, but it falls short in the biggest category for me, and that's the gameplay. Seriously, I think it's horrendous. I played two or three levels of Black Knight and couldn't finish it. Under normal circumstances, that may seem like it's unfair to judge it, as I'm not "giving it a chance"... but my main gripe was with the core gameplay. Just by playing one level, you can get the idea of what the game is, and I couldn't stand it.

THIS right here, Black Knight is just a terrible Sonic game. A nice Idea but just terribly implemented.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sonic Mania just didn’t have the time nor was supposed to be a full on game like the others. There is a reason why the original Mania as going to be 4 levels or so.

I think the HBh are fine but it is disappointing.

Very unpopular opinions ahead:

Sonic the Fighters is criminally underrated and needs a steam release ?

I love the Speed, Power, Fly archetype Sonic Heroes established and I kinda wish they'd use the idea more. In my ideal world Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails would be standard fare as playable characters, and other characters would be playable/unlockable and use their respective OG character's type as a template for their gameplay, just like Sonic Heroes does. Sonic Runners does this and I'm very happy it does. Sonic games are so short and linear I feel it'd be a good idea to add simple skins to STK. Even better if they go the extra mile and adjust a few stats, like maybe having Vector's bubble gum glide not have much horizontal distance unlike Knuckles', make Shadow a bit more slippery than Sonic on account of his skates etc., etc. I also wouldn't be opposed to them adding an additional type or two like All-Around or something to better suit characters like Amy or Sticks or Fang. I'm sure no one else feels this way about the idea tho.

And uh, Storm is super handsome and cool.

• Nice Smile 1

I hope they give Shade and Nocturnus tribe another chance, maybe in the comics. Granted, a lot of changes will have to be made (Though from what I heard Penders lost the case pertaining to these characters).

• Fist Bump 1

Reading this thread, and looking back on my own post history going back, well, years. It's made me realize something.

It's really easy to have a chip on your shoulder in this fandom. It can make you want to work extra hard to prove yourself, to justify why you like something, why you think things aren't as bad as everything says they are. And... well, in my case, it's definitely led to my showing my ass more than once, up to recently and going way back. Led to me mouthing off and challenging people who frankly know far better than I do, people who talk to those who do things officially, people who have a better window into this franchise than someone who is effectively some guy... and that's really fucking asinine, in the end.

I don't really know what to say at this point. It's not enough to just have unpopular opinions, to like things that the rest of the internet has written off (and looking back, things you don't even necessarily agree with anymore). You have to make sure it doesn't turn you into a contrarian. You have to make sure you aren't arguing just for the sake of arguing, to justify yourself, or invalidate what others feel, or know because they've put a lot more work and energy into things than you have. People who have careers, people who WORK on the Sonic brand. And other fans that are just as passionate as you are.

So yeah.

Cautionary tales, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 1/19/2018 at 3:57 PM, Strong Guy said:

Very unpopular opinions ahead:

Sonic the Fighters is criminally underrated and needs a steam release ?

I love the Speed, Power, Fly archetype Sonic Heroes established and I kinda wish they'd use the idea more. In my ideal world Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails would be standard fare as playable characters, and other characters would be playable/unlockable and use their respective OG character's type as a template for their gameplay, just like Sonic Heroes does. Sonic Runners does this and I'm very happy it does. Sonic games are so short and linear I feel it'd be a good idea to add simple skins to STK. Even better if they go the extra mile and adjust a few stats, like maybe having Vector's bubble gum glide not have much horizontal distance unlike Knuckles', make Shadow a bit more slippery than Sonic on account of his skates etc., etc. I also wouldn't be opposed to them adding an additional type or two like All-Around or something to better suit characters like Amy or Sticks or Fang. I'm sure no one else feels this way about the idea tho.

And uh, Storm is super handsome and cool.

I also came up with additional types:

All-Around, Skill, Tricky, Defense, and Support. Blame the Olympics for most of them.

• Nice Smile 1

Sonic and the gang freely > Forces Resistance > Freedom Fighters

Basically I prefer the characters not being reunited all together, not on missions, however in special occasions, when the world is conquered, I do like the idea of a resistance, but I prefer the Forces one simply because I care more about the game cast. The only time I liked the FFs was when Ian developed during issues 200-ish of the old timeline, and the Avengers version of the reboot, but I still love the game characters more.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Sonic and the gang freely > Forces Resistance > Freedom Fighters

Basically I prefer the characters not being reunited all together, not on missions, however in special occasions, when the world is conquered, I do like the idea of a resistance, but I prefer the Forces one simply because I care more about the game cast. The only time I liked the FFs was when Ian developed during issues 200-ish of the old timeline, and the Avengers version of the reboot, but I still love the game characters more.

Where would the StC-style FFs (started akin to Archie but smaller and sonewhwat more organized, later added more groups, before becoming a general hero squad after Robotnik fell, and started to dissolve later on) fit under this?

• Nice Smile 1

49 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Where would the StC-style FFs (started akin to Archie but smaller and sonewhwat more organized, later added more groups, before becoming a general hero squad after Robotnik fell, and started to dissolve later on) fit under this?

Lower than the Freedom Fighters for me, I didn't read StC but I'm not a fan of the designs.

• Promotion 1

I don't know how popular this is, but I feel it needs saying; if I'm not mistaken, Sonic Forxes was supposed to be an apology for Lost World and Boom. But like all bad apologies, it was half-hearted and insincere, and they proceeded to more or less go back to doing the thing that got them in trouble in the first place.

And honestly, peoples' faith in Sonic Team seems to be at its absolute lowest, or at least the lowest I've ever seen. It really doesn't speak highly of them when they take feedback, and go about it in such the wrong way that people are actually expecting their feedback to do the exact opposite of what it's intended to do.

It really doesn't help their case when Sonic Mania, made outside Sonic Team, proves that there's still plenty of viability in Sonic. Sonic Team keeps failing to provide a good Sonic game, yet there are these guys producing a ciritically acclaimed one as their studio's first game (well, first that I know of).

My opinion? Sonic Team needs to let go of some key people like Takeshi Iizuka; man's done a lot of good for the series, but it's clear to me he does not know what he wants the series to be anymore, and in my opinion, he's just draghing it down even further.

Another opinion? Sonic Team's next Sonic game will have to be an apology for Forces, and they're gonna have a lot of pressure to even start regaining peoples' trust in them. That it's reached the point where people are practically banking on their feedback either being ignored or being used in the wrong way does not bode well for Sonic Team even a little bit, and one can only screw up so many times before even the most die hard fans decide they can't take it anymore. And the sooner they realize that, the better.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SurrealBrain said:

I don't know how popular this is, but I feel it needs saying; if I'm not mistaken, Sonic Forxes was supposed to be an apology for Lost World and Boom. But like all bad apologies, it was half-hearted and insincere, and they proceeded to more or less go back to doing the thing that got them in trouble in the first place.

And honestly, peoples' faith in Sonic Team seems to be at its absolute lowest, or at least the lowest I've ever seen. It really doesn't speak highly of them when they take feedback, and go about it in such the wrong way that people are actually expecting their feedback to do the exact opposite of what it's intended to do.

It really doesn't help their case when Sonic Mania, made outside Sonic Team, proves that there's still plenty of viability in Sonic. Sonic Team keeps failing to provide a good Sonic game, yet there are these guys producing a ciritically acclaimed one as their studio's first game (well, first that I know of).

My opinion? Sonic Team needs to let go of some key people like Takeshi Iizuka; man's done a lot of good for the series, but it's clear to me he does not know what he wants the series to be anymore, and in my opinion, he's just draghing it down even further.

Another opinion? Sonic Team's next Sonic game will have to be an apology for Forces, and they're gonna have a lot of pressure to even start regaining peoples' trust in them. That it's reached the point where people are practically banking on their feedback either being ignored or being used in the wrong way does not bode well for Sonic Team even a little bit, and one can only screw up so many times before even the most die hard fans decide they can't take it anymore. And the sooner they realize that, the better.

In my opinion, Sonic Team is past the point of no return. There is no redemption, no triumphant return for them. It's clear they had no real clear vision for even a single game (Forces), let alone the entire franchise. When everything is pretty much a mess in the canon, how can you step forward? How can you build on anything if everything in their universe is subject to change on a whim if they feel like it? Backstories, character personalities, locations, everything is an inconsistent mess, often contradicting from game to game.

They dug themselves into the hole they are in willingly, now they better be prepared to be slowly burried.

-"Sonic Boom is an unfixable mistake". I Disagree. Boom was poorly executed, sure, but it can be fixed. Fire and Ice was a pretty decent game, and, though I'm not a fan of the TV show, I must admit, it actually can sometimes be unintentionally clever. Boom failed at the start, but it's slowly getting back on track, and If Sega doesn't just ABANDON Boom, then I'm pretty sure that a few years later we will get a TRULY GOOD Boom title.

-"Sonic should be like Mario!". I disagree, kinda. I DO disagree with what's implied, with Sonic becoming "Happy video game man jumps on happy video game bugs and fights random blobs with happy faces", because, well, that would make Sonic loose his identity. There are hundreds, thousands of platformers about happy animals which jump on happy blobs with googly eyes, and Sonic having a slight edge and difference in tone would actually make him stand out. However, there's an alternate implication to this argument. Mario has a consistent world. Luigi is always a coward, Wario's always a greedy brute force man, and so on. So, if Sonic's characters will finally get consistent personalities back, and actually establish their world and expand it without discarding it-then yeah, I agree.

-"Sonic the Fighters is an awful game!". No. It isn't. It's a baby's first fighting game, sure, but I must admit, the energy and speed are there, and it actually is a fun lil experience. Heck, I'd love a Fighters 2, with more crazy wacky ass combos, characters and a proper plot. Classic Sonic was always a "One Button+D-Pad to win" game, and I like that Fighters takes that into account.

• Nice Smile 1

I believe Omelette is every bit a generic archetype as Nazo and Ashura, but for the opposite reasons. You’ve seen it before with Bowser Jr., Nina Cortex, N. Tropy, Klungo, Mingelda And Blobbelda, et al. Seen such a character in a dozen kiddie games, and she would only be made interesting with a twist. See Miwa from the 2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example.

• Nice Smile 1

Well, Tropy onwards I wouldn't so much agree with because they're in a more nebulous assistant role, but Bowser Jr and Nina Cortex are certainly prominent examples that I would call Ohmlette out for being too similar too in her most prominent fan interpretation. 

Problem is compounded by the fact that no matter which direction you'd take the character, she'd tread ground that's already been done. Make her super loyal to Eggman and adoring of him? You've just copied Bowser Jr. Make her frustrated with Eggman's failures and want to do the job herself? You've just done the same thing Nina did. There's no win scenario here. 

• Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, Tropy onwards I wouldn't so much agree with because they're in a more nebulous assistant role, but Bowser Jr and Nina Cortex are certainly prominent examples that I would call Ohmlette out for being too similar too in her most prominent fan interpretation. 

Problem is compounded by the fact that no matter which direction you'd take the character, she'd tread ground that's already been done. Make her super loyal to Eggman and adoring of him? You've just copied Bowser Jr. Make her frustrated with Eggman's failures and want to do the job herself? You've just done the same thing Nina did. There's no win scenario here. 

Not to mention the effectiveness of the role. Make her an effective more competent minion of Eggman and people complain she's outshining the main villain (which is already done with too many previous antagonists if they make her treacherous). Make her a bumbling wannabe that makes even Eggman look smart and people complain she's either pointless comic relief or a Starscream/Snively imitation. Make her the middle ground and an equal for Eggman and....well she's pretty much exactly like Bowser Jr or Nina again.

I wouldn't mind a Dr Quark-type to pit against Eggman though, a clownish villain rival whose Eggman's equal (but with enough characteristics to make him not a clone of him). If Orbot and Cubot have proved one thing it's that Eggman shines having people on his level to butt heads with, which is more fun than more generic shadowy serious villains that are (meant to be) better than him in every way.

I don't really find Vector to be annoying or stupid. He's a weirdo, sure, but in a more charming kinda way, and actually is one of the better comic reliefs the series had, well, at least compared to Chip or Orbot and Cubot. He's a weird detective guy, who just wants to help/get some money, and this is actually charming about him. While Shadow wants to achieve godlike goals, Eggman tries to take over the world, Sonic tries to save it, Vector just kinda wants money and company, grounded goals which make him relatable and more down-to-earth, unlike say, Sticks.

26 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

I don't really find Vector to be annoying or stupid. He's a weirdo, sure, but in a more charming kinda way, and actually is one of the better comic reliefs the series had, well, at least compared to Chip or Orbot and Cubot. He's a weird detective guy, who just wants to help/get some money, and this is actually charming about him. While Shadow wants to achieve godlike goals, Eggman tries to take over the world, Sonic tries to save it, Vector just kinda wants money and company, grounded goals which make him relatable and more down-to-earth, unlike say, Sticks.

Maybe to some people, but I find Sticks very relatable, in fact, it's one of the reasons why I love her, I'm very much like her, a bit awkward and relatively asocial, a bit crazy for personal reasons. And of course the paranoia, that's her trait I see the most in me, the way she fears things, and she panicks, reminds me of myself, even though her worries are entirely different, about aliens, conspiracies, government agents and robot apocalipses. Aside from this, she's just so eccentric and wild, and adorable to look at.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Maybe to some people, but I find Sticks very relatable, in fact, it's one of the reasons why I love her, I'm very much like her, a bit awkward and relatively asocial, a bit crazy for personal reasons. And of course the paranoia, that's her trait I see the most in me, the way she fears things, and she panicks, reminds me of myself, even though her worries are entirely different, about aliens, conspiracies, government agents and robot apocalipses. Aside from this, she's just so eccentric and wild, and adorable to look at.

TBH, I like the Fire and Ice Sticks. In that game she's more "Asocial jungle person who's cute and charming BECAUSE of that, and who also lives on jungle logic", and less "Crazy conspiracy grandma who is stupidly oblivious to barfing dog robot that's OBVIOUSLY an Eggman machine" like in Shattered Crystals/The TV Show. Sticks can be well written, it's just that surprisingly enough, only Pontac and Graff seem to get her right, which is not the case with most Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

TBH, I like the Fire and Ice Sticks. In that game she's more "Asocial jungle person who's cute and charming BECAUSE of that, and who also lives on jungle logic", and less "Crazy conspiracy grandma who is stupidly oblivious to barfing dog robot that's OBVIOUSLY an Eggman machine" like in Shattered Crystals/The TV Show. Sticks can be well written, it's just that surprisingly enough, only Pontac and Graff seem to get her right, which is not the case with most Sonic characters.

No way, Pontaff is her worst writing, see Shattered Crystal, her best portrayals are by Ian Flynn, Bill and Sam Freiberger, Alan Denton and Greg Hahn, aka the best writers of the bunch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I like her in Mario and Sonic and pretty much nowhere else. Her character is just too obnoxious for me otherwise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My problems with Sticks is that her whole "I'm a crazy Conspiracy theorist" schtick can get old to me really fast no thanks to how overused it is in terms of her character. Plus, as someone pointed out if she lived in the jungle for most of her life, how does she know about the government?

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Her character is just too obnoxious for me otherwise. 

Which isn't helped by her yelling a lot and her somewhat annoying voice (no offense to Nika Futterman of course).

At least she's not as annoying as Charmy and Marine. Charmy is annoying on purpose, a bit like Omochao, it's supposed to annoy you, I can get behind him because he's included in the Chaotix, he works well there as a member of the "family", but not so much as an individual character, which is why he gets the shaft most of the time. Marine, I don't even know why I bring her up since she hasn't been relevant in 10 years, she was only in one obscure game, her design falls flat compared to Sticks, she doesn't have a voice, her personality is the definition of obnoxious: a spoiled brat, bossy and takes charge in every situation even though she's not competent in doing that job, she's a crybaby when she's not made happy, but she does have nice traits as she's mischievous, has a nice accent (but annoying to some people), and she's afraid of ghosts, another reason why she can't be captain; one more thing that I dislike about her is that she randomly gets super powers based on water and defeats the final boss. I'm only talking about her because fans keep bringing her up, despite not liking her too much. But she can be given a chance to shine, like any character.

Cream I'm also mild about... she's designed to be cute, and that's what I dislike, she has "cute" written all over her, I think it's too much, she's too polite and the only good thing that comes out of that is some good humor in Pirate Plunder Panic. But she's harmless in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't watched Boom much since the end of Season One, though I remember Sticks getting less annoying and more snarky by the end of that run.

Perhaps the only concerning problem I had with her is that, with her around, she was basically a more positive version of Knuckles of the same continuity, being dippy, awkward and superstitious wild character but still having some amount of brain cells to be three dimensional and even put the others in their place at times, while Knuckles just ended up....dumb. I feel like they should have just combined both personalities into him rather than insisting on a new character and dividing the traits between them, especially since the paranoia crap did get old as Stick's key quirk.

Did Season Two give her a backstory at last by the way, or is her wild shtick still mostly pointless?

I remember the same problem occurring with Dulcy in Satam. When she appeared, they made her the more positive comic relief compared to Antoine, who just became more one note stupid and with few redeeming aspects, the main difference there is that Antoine was still the better character because both Dulcy's slapstick and 'activeness' were even lamer than his, while Sticks could strive to be as fun as Knuckles (despite ironically having what is almost a replica of that irritating screechy voice Cree Summer gives for the likes of Dulcy :P).

For another unpopular opinion: I just didn't see much appeal in Antoine and Bunnie as a couple. Not the way Archie depicted it anyway. They were just so placidly nice and sickly sweet and perfect around each other, doing nothing but kissy faces and smoochy talk during casual scenes and 'I'm here for you' speeches during action scenes. It could have been cool if they had kept some of the comical tension between them from before, what with Antoine's pomposity and Bunnie's short temper they could have been a funny loving but imperfect couple. But instead I just wanted to vomit every time they were on page.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Did Season Two give her a backstory at last by the way, or is her wild shtick still mostly pointless?

No to the first sadly.

23 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

For another unpopular opinion: I just didn't see much appeal in Antoine and Bunnie as a couple. Not the way Archie depicted it anyway. They were just so placidly nice and sickly sweet and perfect around each other, doing nothing but kissy faces and smoochy talk during casual scenes and 'I'm here for you' speeches during action scenes. It could have been cool if they had kept some of the comical tension between them from before, what with Antoine's pomposity and Bunnie's short temper they could have been a funny loving but imperfect couple. But instead I just wanted to vomit every time they were on page.

...even after the reboot? I think they got the insulin levels a bit higher during that time period but whatever. :D

Well, I dunno about my OTP being too sweet, I've myself grown bored seeing imperfect couples everywhere. They're just everywhere and it's grown old to me.

Well, of course the pairings don't need to be 100% perfect, but then again, if they've gone through enough crap already I like to see them get a break from that crap. Some small teasing and such is alright, but then again, if the other road leads to the furry-drama then I dunno, I personally have nothing against love stuff it is done right enough, but in Sonic, well, I can see the point of wanting more tension between characters, but then again, the way I see it done right needs a bit more buildup than the easier, "sweeter" route, some could see it taking too much time from the action and then we have arguing fans again, complaining about each others' opinions.

I dunno, I just love the pairs that finally manage to get each other after long trying and hard times, it's just something I dig. Problem is, those couples often end up getting broken due to an horrible tragedy or something, usually by other's death. Best example I can pull from my hat at the minute would be from Heartbeat, an already-cancelled TV series I really like since it's basic tone was somewhat positive even when it had some grim concepts in it from time to time. Thinking about it still makes my heart sink a little, why my OTP's need to face stuff like that. Though it was a freaking awesome way to go, heroic (though I suppose heroism in this case was mostly driven by guilt) and still holding the love so dear... oh gee I'm gonna start to cry. It took so many seasons and like, at least 3 tries...

Then again, I do have a sweet tooth anyway, so that might make me biased. B) And I still wonder if that all was just about them still being a somewhat "fresh" married couple? Some guys need much more time to grow problematic with their relationships. Some may never grow into that point.

So well, it's just how I see this, I think I can see the point of wanting some tension though and I can appreciate it. I personally just hope that stuff wouldn't be taken too far since it's so last season for me, though from what you said it wouldn't be the case with your approach I suppose.

• Nice Smile 1