Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I get what you mean by constant tension. Sonic and Sally constantly arguing and snarking at each other got pretty obnoxious after a while, but you can go too far the opposite extreme.

I can handle cutesy sweet stuff but there has to be some sort of funny defect within it to make it tolerable and give it some sort of personality. Stuff like Winnie the Pooh for instance, where the characters are almost infallibly nice and polite and rarely mean to say or do anything bad to each other, but all have some sort of flaw or quirk in how they handle things that causes at least some minor dysfunction to give it a funny cynical touch of character.

Antoine and Bunnie however were usually just....nice...and that was it.

I think that's the problem when an OTP comes forth and they finally get through all the problems, because all the fun is building up to that and the final product is considerably less entertaining. I don't really have interest in watching the continuation of Cardcaptor Sakura for this reason.

• Nice Smile 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

No way, Pontaff is her worst writing, see Shattered Crystal

YES. Crystal was badly written in general. Fire and Ice wasn't, but it was still Pontaff writing the story. 

As for the Flynn Sticks, I've honestly never bothered to read the Boom comic, and in the Worlds Collide thing she's only present for two-three panels. But, must I say the "Flynn writes best" statement applies to every Sonic character in general, so I didn't include that.

10 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

My problems with Sticks is that her whole "I'm a crazy Conspiracy theorist" schtick can get old to me really fast no thanks to how overused it is in terms of her character. Plus, as someone pointed out if she lived in the jungle for most of her life, how does she know about the government?

5 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

For another unpopular opinion: I just didn't see much appeal in Antoine and Bunnie as a couple.

I liked the Bunnie x Antoine pairing. It was nice to see a positive comic book marriage especially since since the big two(DC and Marvel)really seem to hate marriage nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Unpopular Opinion:  Classic Sonic in Forces was fine. He didn't feel out of place in the grand scheme of the plot (given that this is Sonic, Classic Sonic reappearing and helping Tails out for most of the game... doesn't seem unfathomable or out-of-sync with what would happen in a Sonic property), and the music for his levels were just fine and dandy - some of them were awesome! As far as his controls were concerned, I didn't really find them 'bad' at all. Sure, the whole momentum thing was weird and off-putting... but once I found out that you could make him go faster down hills by having him crouch into the spinball? That eliminated any 'problems' I might have had with the way he controlled.

• Nice Smile 1

Popular Opinion: I really do not think that Silver is a great character. He had terrible gameplay mechanics that never worked, he was very slow and has a terrible written story. Everything that a Sonic character shouldn't have. And also his design is pretty lame. Looks like a DA character. 

26 minutes ago, Swing said:

Popular Opinion: I really do not think that Silver is a great character. He had terrible gameplay mechanics that never worked, he was very slow and has a terrible written story. Everything that a Sonic character shouldn't have. And also his design is pretty lame. Looks like a DA character. 

Is that popular? Maybe among older members, but kids love him, he's up there along with Knuckles, sometimes more popular than Tails, he gets merch over Amy. As for him... I'm not bothered by the design, I can defend it, Shadow and Siler may be based off Sonic, but their design is still more perfected and more detailed than Sonic's, it's like an upgraded version, so by that logic, it's Sonic who has the worst design, even though it's the original. His personality is fine, he's a bit naive and a newbie hero who wants to do justice, and he's willing to question himself whether or not he's doing the right thing. The backstory... eh, it's just a Trunks rip-off, but there is potential for that, as well for the character in general. The gameplay was just programmed badly like the rest of that game, like you said it's too slow, if it was faster like in that Generations boss it would have been great. For example, I picture his gameplay like the one in Fire & Ice, platforming oriented, fast, and you use powers that interact with the environment, that would be so cool.

Since we were talking about pairings...

Popular opinion: Antoine x Bunnie is OTP. (Sonic x Sally is a close second. Although idk if this classifies as “popular” nowadays)

Unpopular opinion: Even it not making any sense, i think Tails x Mina formed a nice couple.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually really like Silver. Sure, he looks like a DA OC (But, then again, people loved "Pink Sonic in a Skirt" and "Sonic, exept a robot"), but, damn, is he such an adorable and fabulous character, who actually has some interesting powers for a Sonic character. Sure, he's a newbie hero kinda character, but that's what I like about him. He's the Sonic version of Luigi: an unsure and naïve person, who TRIES to do everything as best as possible, and thinks, before doing something. 

Also, I think that the Olympic Games thing doesn't fit Mario OR Sonic. Like, really, I wanna see Donkey kong/Shadow/whoever else is in that game to go on exiting adventures, not participate in boring minigames. Like, really, both Sega and Nintendo could spend their budget and resources on a good Mario or Sonic game instead of THIS. 

I thought Silver was poorly handled in Next Gen, just another pretentious attempt at a 'dark' conflicted character that fluctuated between 'unfettered anti hero' and 'easily forgiven good guy'. His appearances after made him tolerable however.

I liked the Bunnie x Antoine pairing. It was nice to see a positive comic book marriage especially since since the big two(DC and Marvel)really seem to hate marriage nowadays.

In fairness, that's partially because of the reboot. Who knows how they would ended up beforehand...

• Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

15 hours ago, Spinneret said:

Marvel? Maybe (outside of Renew Your Vows). DC? Not so much these days thankfully, since DC Rebirth.

Still, I agree with you on Antoine and Bunny being a cute couple.

8 hours ago, NikoS said:

Since we were talking about pairings...

Popular opinion: Antoine x Bunnie is OTP. (Sonic x Sally is a close second. Although idk if this classifies as “popular” nowadays)

Unpopular opinion: Even it not making any sense, i think Tails x Mina formed a nice couple.

Of course, the best pairing this franchise's ever given and I don't see any reasons for that to change. Oh boy what a mistake it was to let all those characters go...

I dunno man, I'm not making any sense either when I say I agree with you on that latter one too then. :D

I dunno, it came pretty much out of nowhere but I didn't see it as a bad thing itself, it was a rather nice couple I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I personally do not like shipping at all. In almost no series unless it has romantic as a genre like with Ranma 1/2 and some Disney movies. I have a feeling that shipping in stories like Sonic feel more like forced fanservice. Non of the Sonic characters feel like their belong in a meaning full relationship. This bugs me with a lot of other series too, not only Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The problem is in a lot of cases where the shipping starts to become an official pairing, it starts to take over the entire character(s). Archie I thought was pretty bad at this, not just Antoine and Bunnie got 'blanderized', Sonic and Sally, Monkey Khan and Sally, Knuckles and Julie Su, Tails and Cosmo. They just became rather dull and nauseating together in how their affection took over their relationship (and often their personality by default). Generally the only times a shipped character doesn't feel diluted is when they started off with a crush on the character in question in the first place.

They aren't that good at making varied foil ages either. Archie was particularly bad with it, usually giving us the hot headed action guy vs the more level headed satellite girl. Apparently guys always need a girl to reel them in, and girls....need a guy to reel in or they don't have much of a role at all. It's so one note how these pairings usually end up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually don't like SonAmy at all the way Tumblr or DA presents it. Like, it's just Sonic and Amy being romantic and nice toward each other, with Sonic being the gallant knight/prince and Amy being the elegant princess. Okay, I'm okay with headcanons, but when people try to prove me that it's canon IN THE GAMES by showing me X AND BOOM screenshots... That just grinds my gears. 

Also, I don't like any of the Penders' echidnas. Like, people say that Shadow created the wave of DA OC's, but then I look at the "Good and original" recolored knuckles №389 and just chuckle.

Okay, enough negativity.

I actually don't despise Sonic Next Gen, and actually find it enjoyable. Like, sure, it tried to make Sonic more Final Fantasy-esque, and all, but to me it just gives the game some extra charm. Not to mention that the FMV's were pretty good, Shadow's combat system was simple but satisfying, and the loading times aren't actually that awful in the version I have. Heck, the only thing that I can kind of agree with, is that the kiss was a little too eugh, but they could easily fix that with the "Chaos is power enriched by the heart" stuff. 

I don't think Sonic Adventure's soundtrack holds up very well. While there are gems in that game's music, a lot of it is cheesy and generic, especially the cutscene specific tracks. The vocal themes are awful, aside from It Doesn't Matter and Open Your Heart. 

I don't actually have a preference between the JP and US Sonic CD soundtracks. They both have songs I like and dislike a lot, so I don't really have a clear favorite. 

3D Blast's saturn soundtrack is such a boring slog to listen to. Aside from the special stage theme, it all pales in comparison to the amazing Genesis soundtrack, which may very well be my favorite from that era.

Eggman is a stupid name that only works as an insult, a la Sonic Adventure. I know I'm in the minority, but this is the one example of westernization I enjoy the most in the Sonic series.

Boom's redesign's are mostly awful, aside from Tails and Amy.

Unleashed is a terrible, terrible game that was rightfully panned. Not even the Daytime stages can save the game from the rage inducing werehog levels and medal collecting system. The final boss is a crime against humanity. That being said, I don't hate the game, because it has a lot of charm in its world spanning setting, AMAZING soundtrack, and gorgous presentation. The art style is perfect too. I want to love Unleashed, but I just can't, because it's too frustrating as an experience to enjoy.

Colors is honestly kind of boring. I like the level tropes, but aside from a few levels, I don't remember having much fun with it.

Generations, while still a fun as hell game, was too easy even for me. 

Metal Sonic is a pretty boring character IMO. Shadow always felt like a better rival to me, because there's more to work with there, at least when he was a villain. I do like the theory that he is a roboticized Sonic from an alternate timeline, though. I wouldn't mind seeing that be explored in a game.

I don't think Pontac and Graff are that bad. Their work on Sonic was never really all that impressive, but at the same time I don't think they're worth getting upset over. 

Oh, and Adventure 1 Sonic stages>Adventure 2 and Boost. Really wish we would get something like that in a 3d title again.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really care for the whole concept of the "Classic Trio" (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) for two reasons: one Knuckles can often feel forced when paired with those two (he has to protect the ME and often times like in Heroes and 06 he doesn't do anything noteworthy to justify his presence) and the second being that Amy seems more fitting for the third member since she cares for Sonic way more than Knuckles does. That's what I like about the reboot comics: they didn't force Knuckles to be in the Classic Trio given how aside from the Champions and WU, he wasn't in much of the main comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular opinion: I actually like the concept of the main trio of the series being Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (despite his duties as guardian of the M.E), and I'm not really fond of Amy replacing Knux, at all. She just can't compare to Knux, and even makes the boys feel somewhat uncomfortable. I would rather see Amy as the fourth member of Sonic's team or in a different group altogether.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, EzSonic01 said:

Unpopular opinion: I actually like the concept of the main trio of the series being Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles (despite his duties as guardian of the M.E), and I'm not really fond of Amy replacing Knux, at all. She just can't compare to Knux, and even makes the boys feel somewhat uncomfortable. I would rather see Amy as the fourth member of Sonic's team or in a different group altogether.

Agreed. I don't see why Amy should "replace" Knuckles and Knux should guard the Master Emerald all the time, that would be such a waste of a great character in my opinion. They are a perfect foursome!

Also, random morning thoughts from my bathroom: How cool is the premise of Sonic Forces? The main heroes have been defeated: Sonic is presumed dead, Shadow is missing and trapped in the illusion reality, and Tails is discouraged so he has given up. And in times of crisis the only characters that are left stepped up in action to try to limitate the damage and do what they can to save people from Eggman and his army, so the "survivors", minor characters I would say, Knuckles, Amy, Silver, Vector, Espio and Charmy, they are the ones who created the resistance and fought Eggman in the most desperate of times, and created their own hope. I thought this was awesome, and deserved more scenes outside of a couple that are in the game (the first cutscenes after Sonic's defeat). So I would love to explore in some way the original members of the resistance, either in the official IDW comic, or in a fan fiction perhaps. 

What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 2

Amy makes Sonic uncomfortable. Knuckles is often not written well when his role in the game doesn't involve the M.E. from Unknown...the only thing Knuckles has going for him when put in stories is that he isn't as "annoying" as Amy is when she's crushin'.

1 hour ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Agreed. I don't see why Amy should "replace" Knuckles and Knux should guard the Master Emerald all the time, that would be such a waste of a great character in my opinion. They are a perfect foursome!

Also, random morning thoughts from my bathroom: How cool is the premise of Sonic Forces? The main heroes have been defeated: Sonic is presumed dead, Shadow is missing and trapped in the illusion reality, and Tails is discouraged so he has given up. And in times of crisis the only characters that are left stepped up in action to try to limitate the damage and do what they can to save people from Eggman and his army, so the "survivors", minor characters I would say, Knuckles, Amy, Silver, Vector, Espio and Charmy, they are the ones who created the resistance and fought Eggman in the most desperate of times, and created their own hope. I thought this was awesome, and deserved more scenes outside of a couple that are in the game (the first cutscenes after Sonic's defeat). So I would love to explore in some way the original members of the resistance, either in the official IDW comic, or in a fan fiction perhaps. 

What do you think?

Robotnik/Eggman finally winning and the heroes forming a resistance is (thankfully) not something we see in every game. The premise itself was pretty good, but terribly flawed. Through the game there also aren't many signs of Eggman ruling the world, just destroyed/desertified places and the doctor himself is most of the time in Green Hill for unknown reasons. It was badly executed, but could have been truly great if more effort had been put into it.