KHCast

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

4 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Just imagine if you could have unlocked Knuckles for the Werehog levels but instead of stretching he glided and so on. The potential for a bit of non-story related fun was there with only needing to address some graphical instances with replacing stretching with some equivalent ability of Knuckles'.

Yeah, that would of been great, Unleashed didn't resonate with me as strongly as some precisely because of how under-utilized the extended cast was. A stop over on Angel Island, or bumping into Shadow or Rouge in Empire city would of gone over well with me. It's like... I don't expect the characters to bend towards the story, to go chasing after it, but for the story to bend to them.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

To be fair with Knuckles in Unleashed, while he could have easily joined the adventure with his knowledge about the Chaos Emeralds helping drive things forward at a brisker pace, he could have just as easily been dedicated to controlling the Dark Gaia horde on Angel Island, even going so far as to drop whatever he was doing when the planet split to get back and make sure the ME was safe. Though @Skull Leader is right that story reasons shouldn't prevent a character from being playable if they are fun. Just imagine if you could have unlocked Knuckles for the Werehog levels but instead of stretching he glided and so on. The potential for a bit of non-story related fun was there with only needing to address some graphical instances with replacing stretching with some equivalent ability of Knuckles'.

That's one way, though personally, I would use instead the characters that were already involved, like Tails on the day time stages while Amy displays her unmatched hammering skills on the werehog stages. But that's just me. XP

Anyway, another opinion: I think Big the cat had the superior music team out of all characters in Sonic Adventure. It's just such a fun and catchy tune.

5 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Anyway, another opinion: I think Big the cat had the superior music team out of all characters in Sonic Adventure. It's just such a fun and catchy tune.

I agree.

Opinion: I think that Infinite should stay as a recurring character, and Shadow should leave GUN and act on his own.

I think that Shadow would benefit from the presence of Infinite as part of the recurring cast, because I think he should become Shadow's rival, he should be to Shadow what Eggman is to Sonic.

Why I think this is a good idea?

-The two characters are equally edgy, you can make spin-offs, sub stories, scenes etc. about those 2 characters and have a consistent tone and mood.

-Infinite has a reason to be angry with Shadow and to hate him, despite what he did in Sonic Forces (AKA ignore him).

-The Phantom Ruby is a pretest to create surreal environments, make crazy stuff happen, and connect different worlds and times without need to justify it in the plot (basically Sonic Mania), and this allows for potential creativity.

-Shadow would be able to act as a bad guy again, because he finally has an enemy to disrespect and insult: this way he would return to his personality from Adventure 2, something that he can't do with Sonic anymore because he became a friend now.

-Being a GUN agent never worked for him, in general there is no place for GUN in the Sonic universe, it's just unfitting and I hope it will be mentioned rarely or never in the future.

-Being busy with Infinite gives him a reason to not show up every time the world is in danger. Shadow is just as strong as Sonic and he wants to protect the world, ok, so why in a lot of games the world is in danger and Shadow doesn't show up? It's OK he does not show up, but Infinite would give him a lore reason to not show up (even when not explicitly mentioned).

Also, I like the idea of Infinite wanting to take his revenge on Eggman for using him as a battery for his mech and trying to kill him, occasionally helping Sonic and friends indirectly, due to the fact of having a common objective; at the same time, Eggman would act passive-aggressive toward him and call him a failed experiment not even worth caring about (making him rage even more, offcourse).

This is gonna sound unpopular, but you know, it's a post made by me, so of course it is XD

I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that Blaze seems to be more popular than Amy, in my humble opinion it's the fact that Blaze is a kickass, but I believe Amy is even more of a kickass than Blaze. Blaze is supposed to be badass because of her superpowers, and she is put in a role and a situation where she's the hero like Sonic and guardian like Knuckles, plus she has an interesting shy personality so she's really top and OP, a bit like Shadow, a complicated hero with superpowers, and I don't mean to say she is like Shadow, but there is a similarity. 

Amy, on the other hand, is put into the role and situation of the damsel in distress and a NPC, so she's already in disadvantage, but despite that, she STILL manages to be a kickass, she's a force of nature, she's got a bit of a temper, she's veeeery emotional, she is perhaps vulnerable due to her emotions taking the upper hand, but that's what I love about her, plus she's a fangirl and damn, she's so strong, both physically and morally strong, she's definitely some sort of Princess Leia character, so she's more of a princess than Blaze to me, Blaze may be noble of soul, which is cool, but Amy is such a fun character, that's why I love her. And I'm glad in Forces she was a big part of the resistance, even though the game kind of snobbed her, she doesn't have many moments compared to let's say, Knuckles. I really loved her in issue 2 of IDW, she has been more independent lately, but since Sonic Adventure.

And yes, I'm writing this fan fiction that is about Amy, so I feel like I really know her, it's also about the other girls like Blaze, Cream and Sticks, but Amy is the heart and soul of it, and I'm really proud of how it's turning out, I've done 5 chapters, and for a change, it's the girls who have to save Sonic, which is a fun idea that I had, and these girls really know how to work together and be friends, besides being strong women on their own.

So yeah, you have got to know Amy to really have an opinion on her, it really depends on how she's written, what is her role depending on the game. Games often focus on the Sonic & Tails dynamic, but in my story it's all about Sonic and Amy and not just as a power couple.

6 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

This is gonna sound unpopular, but you know, it's a post made by me, so of course it is XD

I'm kinda annoyed by the fact that Blaze seems to be more popular than Amy, in my humble opinion it's the fact that Blaze is a kickass, but I believe Amy is even more of a kickass than Blaze. Blaze is supposed to be badass because of her superpowers, and she is put in a role and a situation where she's the hero like Sonic and guardian like Knuckles, plus she has an interesting shy personality so she's really top and OP, a bit like Shadow, a complicated hero with superpowers, and I don't mean to say she is like Shadow, but there is a similarity.

I'd have to kindly disagree with you on that, purely because(from a writers stand point) I find Blaze's crush on Sonic a lot more hilarious and fitting than the clingy fan girl that wanted Sonic's approval...and then when she got it, decided to go into full 'I wanna ACTUALLY marry him now' mode.

That and I have fascination with pyrokinesis abilities in general so I'm a bit bias...

I personally think Amy is still much more popular than Blaze. 

That said, it's necessary to acknowledge the context of both characters situation:

* Amy's character concept started very early as an support character on some obscure manga, and after being adopted into the games, she continued to be a minor character through the classic era with just as much chances to remain as those of anyone not named Sonic, Eggman, Tails and Knuckles. It's only with the first Adventure that she secured her stay, along with the Chaotix as the only classic era characters to made their transition to modern... And even then she usually got only relatively minor roles despite in some instances showing more potential, with her not being introduced in the Genesis trilogy like Tails or Knuckles being a factor that unfairly holds her back.

* Blaze had a different origin as a character designed very specifically for the games from the very start, and unlike Amy enjoyed two games as co-protagonist alongside Sonic. However I feel that compared to the likes of Shadow and Silver, Blaze is kind of an underdog due to being a character that originates on a handheld (despite this happening on a time when handheld titles were of superior quality when compared to the blunders of the major home console games of those days), to the point that despite having things like her own set of magic stones or a superform that wasn't just turning blonde, she was downplayed for 06 in favor of the new and amazing "S" named male hedgehog that everyone was supposed to like: Silver.

Likewise, I really dislike the idea of there being another "shipping war" like the one fueled by the Archie staff during the pre-reboot era. I think Sonic Team handled things well by having the only character who shows sign of romantic affection being Amy,,as well as dropping the ball on the Sonic-Blaze teases from the past, most likely because they foresaw the problems that this could had led to. Besides, I prefer for Amy and Blaze to be seen and treated more as characters who have their own respective merit and contributions, rather than be used solely as love interests for the protagonist.

I think that it would be much better to instead have Amy and Blaze have the girl equivalent of a bromance, as I believe that their respective personalities could lead to a much more interesting chemistry than what either girl could potentially have with Sonic, as they both contrast each other's traits in a positive manner as well as complement them. Just the special victory animation from the Olympics shows a glimpse of how it would be for the aloof Blaze to be with this one Amy girl who makes friends wherever she goes, even with the most unlikely of characters.

4 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Eh, I'd say Blaze is more well-liked and celebrated on mass, but Amy is technically more popular due to seniority and exposure.

Still, it makes sense due to Blaze having more gameplay cohesion, backstory/context, "coolness," and even more "feminist" representation in her few appearances than Amy generally does.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eh, I'd say Blaze is more well-liked and celebrated on mass, but Amy is technically more popular due to seniority and exposure.

Still, it makes sense due to Blaze having more gameplay cohesion, backstory/context, "coolness," and even more "feminist" representation in her few appearances than Amy generally does.

Honestly I despise the way "feminist" representation is handled, as it says it's wrong for Amy to be girly as if being girly is some sort of crime against all of women across the history of the earth. Mind you though, it doesn't stop there as men are generally frowned upon by society as a whole when they can't fit the description of being an emotionless bearded rock who can solve all of their problems through their manliness. To me, whenever I see the feminist agenda being used to attack individuality because it offends a group who has this illogical fear of someone being themselves harming their end goal I just find it unbearably suffocating. Don't get me wrong, I believe in equality, i just don't believe that equality should have to cost individuality and self expression where everyone is forced to fit some dystopian mold. It's part of why Amy is one of my favorite characters, because like Sonic she represents a type of freedom, the freedom to be yourself whoever that may be.

I don't know if Amy and Blaze can have that sort of bromance, but in my story they are most definitely allies, they work together because their missions align but also because they are friends, as shown in Sonic Rush, I rolled my eyes when Amy was jealous of Blaze but that was a first impression. I should give more space to "duo interactions" rather than characters getting their own centric episodes, but I'm only just starting.

31 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Honestly I despise the way "feminist" representation is handled, as it says it's wrong for Amy to be girly as if being girly is some sort of crime against all of women across the history of the earth. Mind you though, it doesn't stop there as men are generally frowned upon by society as a whole when they can't fit the description of being an emotionless bearded rock who can solve all of their problems through their manliness. To me, whenever I see the feminist agenda being used to attack individuality because it offends a group who has this illogical fear of someone being themselves harming their end goal I just find it unbearably suffocating. Don't get me wrong, I believe in equality, i just don't believe that equality should have to cost individuality and self expression where everyone is forced to fit some dystopian mold. It's part of why Amy is one of my favorite characters, because like Sonic she represents a type of freedom, the freedom to be yourself whoever that may be.

Hence the quotation marks, as that general idea can involve different things.

Whether it be Blaze being self-reliant, being a figure of authority(however loose that may be given the setting), being tempered by burdens, having responsibilities, possessing a super form, or yes, even not wearing pink/dresses/both, Blaze is inherently depicted as having a sense of duty, dominion, and dignity about her compared to Amy.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hence the quotation marks, as that general idea can involve different things.

Whether it be Blaze being self-reliant, being a figure of authority(however loose that may be given the setting), being tempered by burdens, having responsibilities, possessing a super form, or yes, even not wearing pink/dresses/both, Blaze is inherently depicted as having a sense of duty, dominion, and dignity about her compared to Amy.

Simultaneously stripping the character of any traits were it seems like fun is even an option. Resultantly she then has to played against either more girly characters (Cream), more energetic characters (Marine), and more naive characters (Silver) for her to really have a chance to demonstrate different facets of her personality and make her feel like a person and not just a collection of pro-feminist traits. It's why i agree with @Skull Leader that pairing her with Amy is a great idea because no character is better at pulling out everything there is in a person than Amy (ironically a character who is frowned upon by certain feminist views). To an extent though, it's kind of why i don't place Blaze as one of my favorites. He personality is not strong enough to shine through her traits and responsibilities making her a rather dull character to follow on her own. I definitely see the potential she has, but with SEGA's insitence that characters don't change it makes it hard for me to invest any interest in her.

Personally, I think a lot of people don't give Amy enough credit for her character simply because she happens to be pink and girly.

Normally I'm not the kind that would be drawn to this, yet, here I am, rooting for this one character because I see past the pink girly stuff and find a character that represents the potential that every person has to be a hero if we only were to follow their heart and do the right thing without hesitation. (Just how many of us would see a person or even an animal in need and just continue on our way because "we're too busy" or "it's not our problem", as if we were afraid to act?)

Just like how a character like Tails is frown by some people for not being "badass" like the "big boys" such as Knuckles or Shadow, I feel that the same is done to Amy when conpared to a character like Blaze. However, Blaze didn't have to go through a transition to get where she was when first introduced, while with Amy it consisted on a lengthy process to get her from the helpless damsel in Sonic CD to the heroine in Sonic Adventure who helps others, from little birds to even robots that work for Eggman.

Likewise, I really don't like how having a superform is seen as a sort of distinction that automatically makes any character lucky to have one be seen as superior to those who, despite not having an access to it, are the characters who, in an ironic twist, happen to be the ones that need a superform the least because they already posess something within them that is much better and more valuable. For example, beating some bad guy through the brute force of a superform is not going to make them change their ways... Sometimes words can be much, much more powerful, like when Amy helped clear the confussion within Gamma and pleaded to free itself from Eggman's influence, reminding Shadow his true purpose, etc. Sometimes the biggest difference is made by the most unlikely and apparently insignificant characters,mjust like how in Lord of the Rings it's a Hobbit who carries the most important task of them all.

Heroes will always come in all shapes and sizes, and just like there are those who have superpowers to stop the evil deeds of those who are beyond reason and refuse to be saved from themselves, there are also the ones who add something that those with super powers cannot, providing with appeal for a wider audience, since I think that while the younger fans will be drawn to the more impressive Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow and Blaze, we older fans who lived a bit more and have come to understand that life isn't as simple have more grounded characters like Tails, Amy, Rouge and the Chaotix that prove that you don't need superpowers to save the day, only the courage to overcome your limitations.

Still, I think both type of characters can have interesting developments, albeit in different directions. Take for example the case of Blaze and Amy and what each character can gain from the other. Blaze would learn from Amy to not be afraid to be in touch with her emotions (bringing some hidden layers of Blaze's character to the surface), as well as to balance them to avoid going to the extremes (such as wanting to destroy bad guys... something that even Sonic found to be harsh). In contrast, Amy would learn to grow as a stronger, more skilled heroine, and to ground a bit her optimism to keep it from falling into the extreme of not realizing that there will be times when some enemies will refuse to be saved from themselves no matter what (for example Infinite). The character that is strong in power needs to develop a stronger heart while the character with the stronger heart needs a guide to teach how to improve her skills.

7 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Simultaneously stripping the character of any traits were it seems like fun is even an option. Resultantly she then has to played against either more girly characters (Cream), more energetic characters (Marine), and more naive characters (Silver) for her to really have a chance to demonstrate different facets of her personality and make her feel like a person and not just a collection of pro-feminist traits. It's why i agree with @Skull Leader that pairing her with Amy is a great idea because no character is better at pulling out everything there is in a person than Amy (ironically a character who is frowned upon by certain feminist views). To an extent though, it's kind of why i don't place Blaze as one of my favorites. He personality is not strong enough to shine through her traits and responsibilities making her a rather dull character to follow on her own. I definitely see the potential she has, but with SEGA's insitence that characters don't change it makes it hard for me to invest any interest in her.

Hm. Fair enough.

When people say that Blaze is more popular than Amy it feels like its because of there looks Amy gets underestimate base off looking more girly while Blaze is seen to be more kick butt. 

14 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I disagree with this... You can say this of any character, for example, about Amy, you must make her interact with a flicky or Shadow in order to show different aspects of her personality, else, she's just an obsessed fangirl. Interactions with other characters are needed to show the personality of a character, and Blaze demonstrated to have a soft side of her personality, she also became protective like a mother* toward Cream in Sonic Rush.

I think Blaze is fine as she is, she's feminine and elegant enough, you don't always need pink hearts and cute dresses to make a female character.

Also, I don't think Blaze should be paired with Amy, she doesn't have any connection with Amy aside of knowing each other and having talked a bit... it's like saying Silver should be paired with Tails, what's the point.

*that's not Amy's exclusive and it never should be. The fact that in Sonic Adventure she acted that way with the bird, doesn't make her the only character allowed to love and protect someone else; by this logic every girl character is a rip-off of amy, and even Sonic occasionally.

BTW I think people give too much credit to Amy instead, I've read of people who want her to replace Knuckles and several discussion saying that putting her here and there would solve any problem and improve everything (kinda like this one). I disagree, I think every character has its own merits and Amy is just one of them; if the developers and story writers can't write good stories and dialogues for the characters, it's not the characters' fault. Even Amy had several different personalities and never stayed consistent, so when people talk about Amy's personality, what version of it are they refering to? Probably Adventure 1, because that's the only iteration of her that seems to be accepted by everyone as good, but Adventure 1 is only 1 game (2 if you add that cutscene with Shadow from Adventure 2), you have plenty of games where she's just a Sonic chasing fangirl with little to no positive traits (including her debut game), and the most recent games where she seems to have no personality at all (aside of showing some slight signs of affection to Sonic).

7 hours ago, Iko said:

I disagree with this... You can say this of any character, for example, about Amy, you must make her interact with a flicky or Shadow in order to show different aspects of her personality, else, she's just an obsessed fangirl. Interactions with other characters are needed to show the personality of a character, and Blaze demonstrated to have a soft side of her personality, she also became protective like a mother* toward Cream in Sonic Rush.

I think Blaze is fine as she is, she's feminine and elegant enough, you don't always need pink hearts and cute dresses to make a female character.

Also, I don't think Blaze should be paired with Amy, she doesn't have any connection with Amy aside of knowing each other and having talked a bit... it's like saying Silver should be paired with Tails, what's the point.

*that's not Amy's exclusive and it never should be. The fact that in Sonic Adventure she acted that way with the bird, doesn't make her the only character allowed to love and protect someone else; by this logic every girl character is a rip-off of amy, and even Sonic occasionally.

BTW I think people give too much credit to Amy instead, I've read of people who want her to replace Knuckles and several discussion saying that putting her here and there would solve any problem and improve everything (kinda like this one). I disagree, I think every character has its own merits and Amy is just one of them; if the developers and story writers can't write good stories and dialogues for the characters, it's not the characters' fault. Even Amy had several different personalities and never stayed consistent, so when people talk about Amy's personality, what version of it are they refering to? Probably Adventure 1, because that's the only iteration of her that seems to be accepted by everyone as good, but Adventure 1 is only 1 game (2 if you add that cutscene with Shadow from Adventure 2), you have plenty of games where she's just a Sonic chasing fangirl with little to no positive traits (including her debut game), and the most recent games where she seems to have no personality at all (aside of showing some slight signs of affection to Sonic).

Believe it or not I enjoy Amy's fangirl side because to me that is part of her driving force as an adventurer which gives her a place in the series and a connection to who the stories are about; Sonic the Hedgehog.

And as for pairing Blaze and Amy, in my opinion drawing out only one facet of a character at a time shows a weakness in storytelling ability or the character being interacted with while Amy frequently brings out multiple facets of a characters personality when she interacts with them. It makes it more dynamic and less one note. Sure good writing can bring that out of any character, but as it has been demonstrated Amy is simply the first to mind. And honestly, I think Marine gets more out of Blaze then Cream did making her a better character to play off.

As for Blaze being pink and girly, that was not my intent. I was trying to say that there is no sense of fun with her, which is why I tried to contrast her Knuckles who at least had his chuckling back in his debut. Even Shadow had a playful side to him in Sonic Adventure 2 that made him fun in a way. The only time I've really seen any playfulness out of Blaze was in 06 in her interactions with Silver. I know Blaze fans hate that game and her affiliation with Silver, but I come to this franchise to have fun and so seeing a playfulness in Blaze when interacting with Silver is what makes it so easy for her to appear flat to me elsewhere. Again I did not mean to imply pink and girly were necessary traits for a female character (I like those traits in Amy but would hate for every female character to be like that - it would get dull and/or aggravating in her a hurry and since I prefer sporty energetic types normally that would be really bad), but was more trying to say that the way Blaze is pushed there is no sense of fun with her. To me that makes her an unattractive character no matter how badass she may be.

Now I'm currently writing Cream's centric episode, see I'm not too fond of her but I really want to make a good character out of her, but it's not as hard as I imagined, story writes itself, Cream feels useless after experiencing her friends' adventures, so she wants to do something, instead of coming back home, and the opportunity presents when she hears a secret that could endanger her friends even more, or somehow protect them if she keeps said secret. And we know Cream is the purest of the 4 girls.

Just mentioned this in a status update comment. Sonic 4: Episode II has pretty nice controls and physics and besides Mania are the best since the Advance games. I prefer it to Generations.

Speaking of which Generations Classic Sonic kind of controls like trash and isn't much better than he was in Forces. In fact in Forces he actually gains speed when rolling down hills and has the badnik bounce and generally feels more responsive. Not that it feels any better due to other problems but still.

5 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

And honestly, I think Marine gets more out of Blaze then Cream did making her a better character to play off.

I'm pretty sure that's partially because of the different intended roles and purposes those two had in relation to both Blaze and their respective Rush game.

Marine was clearly intended to be the Sol Dimension's answer to Tails and by extension, a potential sidekick for Blaze. This was primarily accomplished by giving her a personality more in line with Sonic and let's say Charmy compared to Blaze's similarities to Shadow and Knuckles, which naturally involves testing Blaze's patience. 

Meanwhile, I think Cream was meant to be more of a non-threatening/pacifying local escort for Blaze to help her get accustomed to just hanging with others. I'm pretty sure she was never meant to be from Darker and Edgier origins ala Shadow, but Blaze was established as being self-reliant, blunt, and surprisingly short-tempered and violent when upset or placed under stress. And of all the characters you could've stuck her with at the risk of potentially triggering her, Cream is among the least likely to do so.

3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Now I'm currently writing Cream's centric episode, see I'm not too fond of her but I really want to make a good character out of her, but it's not as hard as I imagined, story writes itself, Cream feels useless after experiencing her friends' adventures, so she wants to do something, instead of coming back home, and the opportunity presents when she hears a secret that could endanger her friends even more, or somehow protect them if she keeps said secret. And we know Cream is the purest of the 4 girls.

What are your writing, exactly?

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I'm pretty sure that's partially because of the different intended roles and purposes those two had in relation to both Blaze and their respective Rush game.

Marine was clearly intended to be the Sol Dimension's answer to Tails and by extension, a potential sidekick for Blaze. This was primarily accomplished by giving her a personality more in line with Sonic and let's say Charmy compared to Blaze's similarities to Shadow and Knuckles, which naturally involves testing Blaze's patience. 

Meanwhile, I think Cream was meant to be more of a non-threatening/pacifying local escort for Blaze to help her get accustomed to just hanging with others. I'm pretty sure she was never meant to be from Darker and Edgier origins ala Shadow, but Blaze was established as being self-reliant, blunt, and surprisingly short-tempered and violent when upset or placed under stress. And of all the characters you could've stuck her with at the risk of potentially triggering her, Cream is among the least likely to do so.

What are your writing, exactly?

It's a fan fiction about the 4 girls trying to find Sonic, and whatever happened to him. Amy is the protagonist, and her hammer gets enchanted by a fairy-spirit, so she gets magical powers. It was actually the idea for an Amy game, and it turned out into a fan fiction I'm really proud of.

22 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

It's a fan fiction about the 4 girls trying to find Sonic, and whatever happened to him. Amy is the protagonist, and her hammer gets enchanted by a fairy-spirit, so she gets magical powers. It was actually the idea for an Amy game, and it turned out into a fan fiction I'm really proud of.

Huh. That sounds it'd be interesting.

Good luck on writing/finishing that!