Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oooh, so it can be not only how the character looks, but also what kinds of abilities they have.

Okay, that makes more sense now!

More specifically, physical abilities, but yeah. It’s basically the stuff the character does on the outside than in—so something like a high IQ super-intellect would blur more into the character’s psychology, tho there might be some overlap (I’d still stick with psychology tho).

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

As said though, a differing perception of how someone can act impulsive, childlike, intelligent, etc, can be VERY different, and that is how characters often become multi faceted in spite of working of a what are often a small defining set of traits.

Intellect is very subjective for example, you can be a genius in one area, and completely hopeless in another. If anything if a character is very talented in one particular field they may be unwilling to branch out of it, which can open a new can of worms in terms of character flaws. Childishness is similar, since there are good and bad aspects of being childlike, you can be naive and bratty or you can be idealistic and plucky or maybe ALL of them. Hence we have very differing renditions of characters like Tails or Amy, even if they all to some degree follow a similar set of traits.

A lot of characters that have become one note are the result of writers driving them into a particular archetype, only seeing one or two particular traits from their personality mould, or in some cases even just basing them completely off of a formula over being driven by an actual character (eg. Knuckles only being that gullible in regards to his running gag of being tricked by Eggman).

I imagine that the people at ST must have documentation that list all the attributes of the personality of each character in more detail than what we are usually given in the bios that are found on the publicly available media like manuals or official sites. However, the people that are in charge of writing for the characters have a different perception/understanding of the same exact character concept, which is why they might act differently but still feel similar between games. Tails and Amy, despite these variations and the occassional oddity (things like Free Riders for Amy or SLW for Tails), often stick to their basic personalities and roles that they were intended for.

Knuckles though is something I'd consider an exception since the way he has been used gives the impression of ST not caring what his character is about as long as they can feature him in the games. From being too antagonizing to be a friend or too friendly to be a rival, to neglecting his in-universe role as guardian of the ME, to taking on roles like the commander thing from Forces given that Knuckles never established any kind of precedent of him having the qualities demanded for such role.

In his case, I think that while his character concept might be documented, it is overlooked for external reasons such as adding popular characters in an attempt to boost sales, something that ultimately results in their characterizations being hurt, similar to how Shadow was (mis)used in Boom as something that feels like a last minute addition who has no purpose in that universe other than putting Sonic down for having friends.

I feel Shadow should stick but not stop trying to be another pure good hero for a while and stick to his ruthless wildcard anti hero roots along with Omega and maybe Rouge, if Shadow does the same job as Sonic protecting the world, he wouldnt have a unique role other than being a side character to Sonics sidekick like Knux. Same for Rouge and Omega being info dumps for the main heroic cast fighting Eggman while they sit back and watch.

Shadow like Wolverive suffers like badass decay, not sticking to his original concept as the neutral anti hero that plays both sides of good and evil. Sonic Boom kinda brought that back from SA2 depiction since he wasn't that far from his attitude in that game/show. Rouge being his sidekick is something they do now but I prefer she being an equal to Shadow in calling the shots on the team instead of fulfilling a bland role of being just the brains and thusly the leader, Shadow should be just as smart and skilled in decision making and intell. 

Omega should just be used seldomly but make him a dreaded monster to robots and living creatures alike, like Shadow but more genetic. He only comes along to help when the two need massive muscle, since usually shadow and rouge are enough to beat armies and final boss enemies themselves like Sonic and Tails do. Omega should join when Black Doom/Mepholes like beings show up.

• Fist Bump 1

Personally, I would much rather see Rouge being freed from Team Dark, as I think that this is one of those cases were a character is being held back by the bloody teams that were introduced in Heroes. Likewise, make her more a thief who is fixated in jewels instead of a goverment agent, since being a thief would allow her to get involved in more adventures on her own (and maybe give Knuckles an actual motivation to get active that does not involve him being pegged to Sonic and Tails), while in contrast the agent thing kind of undermines her independence to an authority. IMO Rouge has one of the most fun personalities and it's a shame that her character is wasted by placing her next to a character with a less interesting/entertaining personality that eclipses her because "popularity".

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

Personally, I would much rather see Rouge being freed from Team Dark, as I think that this is one of those cases were a character is being held back by the bloody teams that were introduced in Heroes. Likewise, make her more a thief who is fixated in jewels instead of a goverment agent, since being a thief would allow her to get involved in more adventures on her own (and maybe give Knuckles an actual motivation to get active that does not involve him being pegged to Sonic and Tails), while in contrast the agent thing kind of undermines her independence to an authority. IMO Rouge has one of the most fun personalities and it's a shame that her character is wasted by placing her next to a character with a less interesting/entertaining personality that eclipses her because "popularity".

Yeah, it's funny how creative and contrasting Rouge actually is on her own.

I say bring out Rouge’s leadership and make it more pronounced that she’s the leader of Team Dark.

That and make her more proactive than she usually is. That’ll take off the chains without breaking up the team—tho it really depends on the writer, as the only one with any decent success in doing this was Ian in the Archie comics.

19 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I say bring out Rouge’s leadership and make it more pronounced that she’s the leader of Team Dark.

That and make her more proactive than she usually is. That’ll take off the chains without breaking up the team—tho it really depends on the writer, as the only one with any decent success in doing this was Ian in the Archie comics.

And even then, Team Dark show up so sparringly and Rouge seemed to be one of the few characters he wasn't comfortable with.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

And even then, Team Dark show up so sparringly and Rouge seemed to be one of the few characters he wasn't comfortable with.

Wait...who was uncomfortable?

I love Rouge more as the kind of character who always looks like she's got a secret agenda under the hood. She's got a plan of action you're unaware of. Her actions are confusing at first and when you ask her what she's about she narrows her eyes and gives you a sly non-answer. Then at the end when it's revealed what she was doing you get the revelation of a lifetime.

Due to her nature and her ability to play both sides, when she's shown doing something bad, you'll have been led astray because all the bad she was supposedly doing was actually for the greater good. Or maybe it wasn't. But even if it wasn't, it turns out it was.

She'll hang with Dr. Eggman, tease him a bit, then jump ship and peace out when they're about to get blowed up by the Meterex. She'll contact the heroes to warn them about the Scarship that supposedly killed Eggman but afterwards, cut the communication and not force her hand to play hero. 

She'll start off on her own. Hang with Eggman a bit. Hang with Shadow a bit. And then somehow end up with the heroes at the end of things because that's how she rolls.

Did she betray us? Oh but she just saved us actually? Why do it that way though? Oh THAT'S why! Neat! What a smart and crafty woman. We won't even know what that sly smile means for us.

I love characters like Rouge. I care more about them playing up that side of her then whether or not she's the leader of Team Dark. Honestly. She'll always be a member of Team Dark to me, regardless of whether or not they're currently huddled together. Having them act independent of one another is always nice to see too. 

Also, she's Catwoman. 

• Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

13 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Wait...who was uncomfortable?

Mr. Flynn. At least, it seemed that way.

Preboot, he was primarily writing Rouge both from the precedent set by Mr. Penders and that eventually caught flak in Treasure Team Tango where she seemed to be actively entertaining the notion of keeping the Sol Emerald for GUN despite Blaze stating that she needs it to save her world. And to be fair on all accounts, Rouge is primarily known/depicted as an opportunistic jewel thief.

Then after the reboot happened, he wrote her as a proper member of Team Dark and as a voice of reason for Shadow--something I don't think she's ever really been before. So, when people on Bumbleking forums commented on her role and how she behaved in the story, he notably came out and that them for their input.

13 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Also, she's Catwoman. 

Heh, essentially. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

The issue with Team Dark is that it limits Rouge to be a character who in her role as an agent, only reacts when something happens. 

Her instead being a thief opens the door to be more active, being the one who instigates situations and kicks off events and return into being that character who is only after her own benefit, but still has a moral compass that keeps her from going too far into bad guy territory.

IMO, the teams established since Heroes (with the Chaotix being the only exception) are something thay should not had been set on stone by ST, since there will be characters affected one way or another: some excluded, others shoehorned, others limited in order to conform into one at the expense of their original personal goals... in this case, Rouge's desire to get jewels because of her love for them being exchanged into falling in line with the goal of saving the world. At least they should had allowed her character to branch off at will, instead of hard-locking her with Shadow and Gamma.

7 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

The issue with Team Dark is that it limits Rouge to be a character who in her role as an agent, only reacts when something happens. 

Her instead being a thief opens the door to be more active, being the one who instigates situations and kicks off events and return into being that character who is only after her own benefit, but still has a moral compass that keeps her from going too far into bad guy territory.

That’s only if you stick to one part of her occupation and ignore the other. Nothing says she can’t be an agent and a thief/treasure hunter at the same time—she did just that in her debut in SA2.

Plus, agents can just as easily investigate and kick off events too. Even better, they can go in and prevent events from spiraling out of control, using whatever means necessary.

7 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

That’s only if you stick to one part of her occupation and ignore the other. Nothing says she can’t be an agent and a thief/treasure hunter at the same time—she did just that in her debut in SA2.

Plus, agents can just as easily investigate and kick off events too. Even better, they can go in and prevent events from spiraling out of control, using whatever means necessary.

• Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

IMO, the teams established since Heroes (with the Chaotix being the only exception) are something thay should not had been set on stone by ST, since there will be characters affected one way or another: some excluded, others shoehorned, others limited in order to conform into one at the expense of their original personal goals... in this case, Rouge's desire to get jewels because of her love for them being exchanged into falling in line with the goal of saving the world. At least they should had allowed her character to branch off at will, instead of hard-locking her with Shadow and Gamma.

At the same time though, some characters would probably never ever get in the spotlight if they weren't herded together into said teams, so it's kind of a double-edged sword here. Rouge for instance was never really that major of a character and I can't see ST really investing much time into her if she wasn't tied to a more popular character. Basically, if Team Dark never happened, Rouge would have probably just faded into the background...granted, you could argue that's what happened anyway. 

I dunno, I don't dislike Rouge, but she's a character I feel who hasn't served much of a purpose, even in her debut. And I think Team Dark was their way of trying to rectify that.  I mean sure, her being mostly a supporting character for Shadow isn't exactly flattering, but it's a role at least. 

11 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

That’s only if you stick to one part of her occupation and ignore the other. Nothing says she can’t be an agent nd a thief/treasure hunter at the same time—she did just that in her debut in SA2Plus, agents can just as easily investigate and kick off events too. Even better, they can go in and prevent events from spiraling out of control, using whatever means necessary.

And ignoring one side of what Rouge does is exactly what Sonic Team did, not to mention, no longer showing her selfish side in favor of being yet another good guy.

I know that ST needs to find something for characters to be relevant, but sometimes I think the problem has more to do with them not having faith in certain characters that have potential like Rougue, while supporting others that literally have no purpose like Knuckles, who after SA1 was pretty much just there because of the insistance of pegging him to Sonic and Tails, where he's essentially the third wheel. Knuckles is popular but needs someone that gives him a legit reason to stay active and Rouge happens to be the character that can serve that purpose and build her own popularity as well by establishing a dynamic between both characters and treating them as equals, something I don't think will happen in Team Dark given how the S named hedgehogs are treated as being above other characters, just like it happened to Blaze when paired with Silver.

• Fist Bump 1

30 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

And ignoring one side of what Rouge does is exactly what Sonic Team did, not to mention, no longer showing her selfish side in favor of being yet another good guy.

I know that ST needs to find something for characters to be relevant, but sometimes I think the problem has more to do with them not having faith in certain characters that have potential like Rougue, while supporting others that literally have no purpose like Knuckles, who after SA1 was pretty much just there because of the insistance of pegging him to Sonic and Tails, where he's essentially the third wheel. Knuckles is popular but needs someone that gives him a legit reason to stay active and Rouge happens to be the character that can serve that purpose and build her own popularity as well by establishing a dynamic between both characters and treating them as equals, something I don't think will happen in Team Dark given how the S named hedgehogs are treated as being above other characters, just like it happened to Blaze when paired with Silver.

That's more because Sonic Team are just terrible storytellers in general, not because Knuckles has no purpose. Its up to the writers to give him a purpose and if they do not, its really not the character's fault. The reason Knuckles gets so much shit is because everyone is so damn obsessed with him and the Master Emerald and ignore the other parts of his character, the very same thing you're accusing them of doing with Rouge.

So why is it that when Knuckles appears, he "serves no purpose" but when Rouge appears, its "wasting her potential"? Cuz its very easy to flip that and say Knuckles` potential is squandered and that Rouge serves no purpose. 

I feel like its very easy to make certain characters work, people just make it harder than it really is because they're too obsessed with having their cake and eating it too when it comes to what they think the characters can and should act like

• Promotion 1

46 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That's more because Sonic Team are just terrible storytellers in general, not because Knuckles has no purpose. Its up to the writers to give him a purpose and if they do not, its really not the character's fault. The reason Knuckles gets so much shit is because everyone is so damn obsessed with him and the Master Emerald and ignore the other parts of his character, the very same thing you're accusing them of doing with Rouge.

So why is it that when Knuckles appears, he "serves no purpose" but when Rouge appears, its "wasting her potential"? Cuz its very easy to flip that and say Knuckles` potential is squandered and that Rouge serves no purpose. 

I feel like its very easy to make certain characters work, people just make it harder than it really is because they're too obsessed with having their cake and eating it too when it comes to what they think the characters can and should act like

Knuckles gets shit because his character has no transition to branch into other things and ignores the role he was meant to serve in the franchise. That's why in everything post SA1 he is literally just there, making no contributions to the story (especially in SA2, his supposedly "last good moment") and taking away roles from other characters (*Forces*) that could use that spotlight, since all his one saving grace is the dumb luck of being introduced in the third Genesis game and the ridiculous assumption of this meaning he also gets to be the third most important character in the side of the good guys/2nd best friend of Sonic, even when context says otherwise. 

Rouge has potential being wasted because she is not doing the very thing that is supposed to be driving the character: going after jewels, especially the biggest one of them. Instead, she's just mission control, staying in the proverbial kitchen so that "the 2nd most popular character of the franchise" can have all of the focus. Like, who the bloody hell in their right mind puts the femme fatale, the Catwoman of the franchise in fucking mission control?

Sonic Team can make good characters, but are terrible when it comes to using the cast as they fall for the trap of only putting their faith in whatever the audience finds popular and neglects the rest, which is not exactly a fair deal since a character being popular is not the same as being good. Younger fans will always go for the "badass" ones, but it so happens that the audience also has older fans who find more appreciation for characters with more personality and who are more relatable because they can achieve heroic deeds without superpowers, like Amy, Rouge, Tails and the Chaotix, with only one of them,Tails, being used... sadly, though at least he has the context that Knuckles never had. Giving spotlight to these characters ain't going to make the likes of Knuckles and Shadow not feel well and turn to dust. They're not needed either since Sonic is the main selling point, and to be fair, neither are the others, but giving them a chance to shine and bringing some much needed balance in the cast as well as rotation would help the franchise from going stall. Otherwise, it's just. stuck with just the same small group of characters that monopolizes the spotlight, while the others go to waste, and the same forced teams that imposes arbitrary limitations that don't make them any favors. This franchise really can't expect for things to improve by keeping the needed changes from happening because of ST being stubborn in such a misguided fashion. I know they want some consistency (I know, the idea of them going for this is hard to believe given their track record), but I fear that they're placing their efforts in the wrong area.

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Knuckles gets shit because his character has no transition to branch into other things and ignores the role he was meant to serve in the franchise. That's why in everything post SA1 he is literally just there, making no contributions to the story (especially in SA2, his supposedly "last good moment") and taking away roles from other characters (*Forces*) that could use that spotlight, since all his one saving grace is the dumb luck of being introduced in the third Genesis game and the ridiculous assumption of this meaning he also gets to be the third most important character in the side of the good guys/2nd best friend of Sonic, even when context says otherwise. 

Rouge has potential being wasted because she is not doing the very thing that is supposed to be driving the character: going after jewels, especially the biggest one of them. Instead, she's just mission control, staying in the proverbial kitchen so that "the 2nd most popular character of the franchise" can have all of the focus. Like, who the bloody hell in their right mind puts the femme fatale, the Catwoman of the franchise in fucking mission control?

Sonic Team can make good characters, but are terrible when it comes to using the cast as they fall for the trap of only putting their faith in whatever the audience finds popular and neglects the rest, which is not exactly a fair deal since a character being popular is not the same as being good. Younger fans will always go for the "badass" ones, but it so happens that the audience also has older fans who find more appreciation for characters with more personality and who are more relatable because they can achieve heroic deeds without superpowers, like Amy, Rouge, Tails and the Chaotix, with only one of them,Tails, being used... sadly, though at least he has the context that Knuckles never had. Giving spotlight to these characters ain't going to make the likes of Knuckles and Shadow not feel well and turn to dust. They're not needed either since Sonic is the main selling point, and to be fair, neither are the others, but giving them a chance to shine and bringing some much needed balance in the cast as well as rotation would help the franchise from going stall. Otherwise, it's just. stuck with just the same small group of characters that monopolizes the spotlight, while the others go to waste, and the same forced teams that imposes arbitrary limitations that don't make them any favors. This franchise really can't expect for things to improve by keeping the needed changes from happening because of ST being stubborn in such a misguided fashion. I know they want some consistency (I know, the idea of them going for this is hard to believe given their track record), but I fear that they're placing their efforts in the wrong area.

Knuckles isn't used more because "he's the third genesis character", maybe people just like Knuckles and glad when he's around. Same with Shadow, same with Silver, etc etc etc. Characters that are popular with the audience tend to get more focus from everyone, that's kind of how popularity works. Would you be complaining about Rouge if she ended up being the breakout character and not Shadow?

You make it sound like characters are only able to serve one role and just that role alone and that they are not allowed to be used for other things as well, which is especially hypocritical since you claim Rouge should be allowed to be used in more varied roles, but apparently Knuckles is not allowed to, otherwise you're "betraying the original purpose of the character". If we went by your logic and used characters only according to their assigned roles, every character would be one-dimensional since they're not allowed to go outside of their specified role right? Tails can never do anything besides tagalong Sonic and be useless, Knuckles can never do anything besides look at the Master Emerald all day.

That's not how characterization works, characters that are fleshed out and three dimensional can be used in all sorts of role and be adapted well if the writers are truly good enough to take advantage of that. So once again, stop blaming the characters for something that's all on Sonic Team's plate. Is it really Knuckles` fault that he's horrifically misused in a lot of games and not the staff who are writing him?

If you like the more underappreciated characters, fine. I won't knock you for that, but stop treating the other popular characters like they somehow don't deserve their popularity simply because you'd prefer someone else in the spotlight. Who becomes popular and who isn't is completely arbitrary; its not Shadow or Rouge's fault that fans latched more onto the former than the latter, shit happens. Depending on the circumstances, Rouge could have been the breakout and not Shadow like I mentioned before.  And when you're selling an official product, you use what's guaranteed to turn a profit. And I don't care how you feel about this, I'd be much more inclined to buy a game with Knuckles` face on it than Rouge's, sorry. 

And the hilarious thing about all of this? None of the characters have been used well  in recent years at all. Knuckles hasn't done shit, or Shadow, or Rouge, or anyone that's not Sonic, Tails, or Eggman. Yea, Knuckles was "the commander" but he didn't do a goddamn thing of consequence in the entire game and was more or less treated like a bit player the whole game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What I don't like is how characters are used in the games. People demanded to see more of Silver, so he appears in Forces. It just seems more like fanservice than adding characters that are crucial to the plot. Well, most past few Sonic games have been fanservice, anyway.

I prefer the Dreamcasts models than DX ones

tumblr_p0hytrH4YA1tzzngso1_r1_500.png.041f30b27a845fe703aa486fa17efd0d.png

They are more distinct and and more stylize

tumblr_p0hytrH4YA1tzzngso2_500.png.e1370b3aff714f81d7569a2a27d37676.png

While in my opinion DX try to make it more like SA2 which doesn't work for me

• Thumbs Up 1

Despite the weirdly exaggeratedness of the expressions, the Dreamcast models do look nicer in that field.

But when does Sonic ever use that sad looking look?

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's about time I gave this a shot:

Popular-

- The series needs a reboot where everything occurs in one world, and one dimension (Including the Sol dimension, I can still see Blaze and folks fitting in just fine in the regular world)

- Headcannon and PagodaWest should become the new Sonic Team. Galaxy Trail and LakeFeperd can also jump in to if that helps. I am aware that they've mosty no experience in 3D games, but this means alot to me.

- I think most every Sonic character that was playable before should have a shot at being playable again in a main Sonic game.

- The 3D models should look a lot more expressive and animated in cutscenes than what there doing now.

Semi-Popular:

- The cast could use a redesign that's a hybrid of they're Classic, Adventure, and Modern looks. This goes along with the models having better expressions.

- Every character should super form, none of this discriminating main protagonist only junk. I would also want them to get more creative with super designs than just yellow color changes and Dragon Ball spoofs. Like, Amy could get a Sailor Moon styled transformation, and Cream would have Cheese evolve into a Hero Chao.

- I've enjoyed the Sonic Boom show from what I saw. Then again, I only gone through half of season 1, so I can't form a real opinion on the whole thing yet. 

- I see a lot of potential with the Phantom Ruby, and would like to see it's return in a Classic-side game. Maybe delve into the origins of it, and maybe make it become a more sentient villian  I imagine it taking form of a Monster of the Week creature called Phantom, and can open up some ideas for boss fights with it, while making sure it doesn't overtake Eggman's role.

Unpopular-

- While I've seen people complain on how similar Marine and Sticks look, I don't know why they don't say the same thing with Bean and Jet, who are both green birds. I'd personally have Bean and Jet as the same character, and have the Hooligans merge with the Babylon Rogues. I'd think it'd be more creative and diverse if the team consisted of more than just birds. (Now, I haven't played the Riders games or watch the cutscenes, so I haven't got a full impression on Wave or Storm as well as Jet.) 

- Somewhat going with the above, I'm bugged by how Mighty and Shadow have the same color scheme. I'd probably change Mighty's to a brownish color, or some other color that can stand out.

- I know a Mario and Sonic game can work. But given some of the questionable things that both Nintendo and Sonic had done, as well as how they handled them, I also know that it can't. Not in this state.

- Furthermore-- this is a big one, I think SEGA/Sonic Team can make better Mario games than Nintendo could make Sonic games. I'm not saying they'd make better Mario games than Nintendo, but I have seen the signs. For starters, Mario games are easier to make: No high speeds, No story, just simple reach the goal platforming, linear or exploratory. Nintendo doesn't really have a game that captures the ambition expected for Sonic. Mario may have a rolling move, Kid Icarus has done comedy better than Sonic comedy, and Kirby's handling of lore and fanservice is superior to Sonic's. But there times that Nintendo can make the same mistakes as SEGA can, like nostalgic pandering and unnecessary game gimmicks. Not to mention that Nintendo's own furry action series is not in the brightest shape. Ultimately, if Sonic Team against all odds is able to make a Mario game, chances are it won't automatically be doomed to failure like most would think. Definitively would be better than any new Sonic title by them, for sure.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, SupahBerry said:

For starters, Mario games are easier to make: No high speeds, No story, just simple reach the goal platforming, linear or exploratory.

You're forgetting that it's highly polished and endlessly creative platforming.

• Nice Smile 2

Worlds Unite was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be.

It wasn't as good as Worlds Collide sure but honestly I thought it was fine. Admittedly I think it'd have been smarter to bring the other Sega and Capcom properties in in act 2 instead of act 3 but all-in-all I don't really see whatwas so bad about it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I also enjoyed it and while I'm not a fan of how the reality warping skews and resets everyone, I actually had more issue with Worlds Collide in that department (As I recall Collide pulled in characters that the Megaman books hadn't gotten around to yet, and on the Sonic side kept the spotlight off of comic exclusive characters). It was geared to present the two franchises in as broad a light as possible to appeal to an audience outside the books normal readership, and boiled out what set the books apart from their game incarnations in doing so. Unite felt more in tune with the comics unique quirks and setting.

You're forgetting that it's highly polished and endlessly creative platforming.

Just clarifying up top I'm not dissing Mario, highly polished they are, but to be endlessly creative you gotta be more experimental then I think they are right now.

While I've seen people complain on how similar Marine and Sticks look, I don't know why they don't say the same thing with Bean and Jet, who are both green birds. I'd personally have Bean and Jet as the same character, and have the Hooligans merge with the Babylon Rogues. I'd think it'd be more creative and diverse if the team consisted of more than just birds. (Now, I haven't played the Riders games or watch the cutscenes, so I haven't got a full impression on Wave or Storm as well as Jet.)

- Somewhat going with the above, I'm bugged by how Mighty and Shadow have the same color scheme. I'd probably change Mighty's to a brownish color, or some other color that can stand out. 

I think Sticks and Marine get more criticism because they're both on the same side of the Classic/Modern divide (any "Boom" divide isn't as soild I'd say). I'd be willing to bet you if Bean made the jump a lot more people would start applying the same critique to him and Jet. Also... Marine's relevance to this series is waning with each passing day.

Funny enough I've been thinking along the same lines about Mighty and Shadow's color scheme (and don't understand why that fake Mania Plus leak tried to sell a godawful blue superform instead of sensibly porting Super Shadow's colors). I like the Black and Red scheme too much to agree with you though. Would have to do some serious color theory tests to agree on a suitable alt.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, SupahBerry said:

- While I've seen people complain on how similar Marine and Sticks look, I don't know why they don't say the same thing with Bean and Jet, who are both green birds. I'd personally have Bean and Jet as the same character, and have the Hooligans merge with the Babylon Rogues. I'd think it'd be more creative and diverse if the team consisted of more than just birds. (Now, I haven't played the Riders games or watch the cutscenes, so I haven't got a full impression on Wave or Storm as well as Jet.) 

To be fair to the latter pairs, those are characters spanning what are considered two separate eras of Sonic, so any similarities in design and characterization are incidental. Bean and Jet in particular were more or loss always intended to be completely different in characterization and role.

Marine and Sticks on the other hand are both comparatively new contenders in the series with extremely similar color schemes, designs, and to an extent personalities, to the point that people genuinely thought that Sticks was a reimagined Marine at first. 

With that said, I agree that I wish Mania Plus had tweak Mighty's color scheme a bit more to make him a tad more distinct from Knuckles and to a lesser degree Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1