Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

21 hours ago, Cuz said:

Just clarifying up top I'm not dissing Mario, highly polished they are, but to be endlessly creative you gotta be more experimental then I think they are right now.

The last Mario game that came out had you possessing a T-Rex using Mario's Hat, you need to be quiet with this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah and Mario's pretty comfortable in the collecthon environment that he can do that kind of thing. It's still a collectathon with a novel gimmick like Fludd before it. 🤷‍♀️

Mainly just pointing out that there was a good flood of New SMB's and Worlds in between Galaxy (2) and Odyssey.

7 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The last Mario game that came out had you possessing a T-Rex using Mario's Hat, you need to be quiet with this. 

So what you're sayin we need a game where Sonic gets possessed by aliens? Got it.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Cuz said:

Yeah and Mario's pretty comfortable in the collecthon environment that he can do that kind of thing. It's still a collectathon with a novel gimmick like Fludd before it. 🤷‍♀️

Mainly just pointing out that there was a good flood of New SMB's and Worlds in between Galaxy (2) and Odyssey.

By Flood you mean 2...that came out the same year so even less caring.

There's been up to 4 NSMB's. 3D World, and Land make 2, however I was lumping them in with the other 4.

All I'm trying to say is the series was resting on it's laurels for a good while there.

I'm pretty sure 3D Land and World weren't doing what the NSMB series was doing...despite how basic they were.

7 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yeah but said T-rex didn't have anything particularly interesting tied to it beyond the novelty of simply being one. Sure its a nice little creative gesture but it doesn't have any substance to back it up (like a lot of odysseys captures).

• Nice Smile 1

I don't like Mike Pollock's Eggman voice. I remember hearing a few voice clips of him way back when Sonic X had just premiered in the US, and I thought he sounded too much like a typical "big strong angry" type cartoon villain, not like an intelligent and devious scientist. This was of course back when we still had the magnificent Deem Bristow doing the character in the games, and Pollock just couldn't compare. 

Then in 2005 when Bristow sadly passed away and I started hearing rumors about Pollock taking over his role I was not happy about it.  I actually briefly chatted with Pollock  online about the possibilty of him taking over the role, and obviously I kept my feelings on that matter to myself  (I didn't wanna be a jerk) but in the back of my mind I was really hoping that Sega would settle with someone else.

Then of course things turned out to be infinitely worse than I ever would have imagined when the ENTIRE CAST from the games was replaced with the 4kids cast. It still kinda breaks my heart thinking about it. 

Over the years I have grown to accept Pollocks Eggman, but I'm still not a fan. I will say however that I definitely think he has improved over the years. He no longer SCREAMS out his lines in a shrill voice the way he often did in Sonic X. I also think this is one of those cases where the actors natural ageing makes his voice for a character sound more natural as he can probably no longer strain his voice in the way he used to, which ends up being a positive thing. It's similar to how the woman who voiced Bulma in the japanese version of Dragon Ball started out with a really high pitched and annoying voice for the character but by the time Dragon Ball Super came around her voice her changed to the point of being really pleasant to listen to. 

3 hours ago, MegasonicZX said:

Yeah but said T-rex didn't have anything particularly interesting tied to it beyond the novelty of simply being one. Sure its a nice little creative gesture but it doesn't have any substance to back it up (like a lot of odysseys captures).

Which isn't much of a problem...?

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Which isn't much of a problem...?

How so? Because for me when it comes to platformers I expect to be challenged in more ways than simply knowing how to use the buttons on the controller and nothing you do with the T-rex ever evolves into anything worthwhile. This wouldn't be a problem if it were the only one by the way as I know a lot of people just like to have power fantasies uninterrupted but 80% of the captures in the game are like this too.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is a popular or unpopular one, but I’m actually fairly impressed given the time between them, how well Sonic Team was able to remix the modern stages in Generations while still referencing them in meaningful ways as much as they did the other eras. Especially when looking towards Unleashed and 06 and how many assets and areas from those levels they likely pulled out and put into gens.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Boom!Amy was often as unlikable as Battle!Amy and X!Amy.

The below link best represents why I think so.

http://aminoapps.com/p/lroj8d

Opinion 3

Meh.

At the very least, I agree that I like New252!Sally and that Buffles is one of the best characters in Boom.

• Nice Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

You know what's always irked me? When different works (official or not) decide to set stories in the future and make the Chaotix a term for massive organisations of significance. The Archie comic did it with the Flynn-era 25YL, Stanley's Ghosts of the Future does it (not that I've read it otherwise, the premise does not interest me), and I'm sure other fanworks have done it. 

But it's still basically the equivalent of naming the United Nations after your local cornershop, stop naming these organisations after a tiny broke-ass business/family!

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

You know what's always irked me? When different works (official or not) decide to set stories in the future and make the Chaotix a term for massive organisations of significance. The Archie comic did it with the Flynn-era 25YL, Stanley's Ghosts of the Future does it (not that I've read it otherwise, the premise does not interest me), and I'm sure other fanworks have done it. 

But it's still basically the equivalent of naming the United Nations after your local cornershop, stop naming these organisations after a tiny broke-ass business/family!

To be fair, Chaotix is a decently cool name.

• Nice Smile 1

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, Chaotix is a decently cool name.

Might have also been sparked by the early adaptations where the name, which had no meaning at the time, was given much more relevance to begin with. 

• Nice Smile 1

Eh, Archie quickly established the Chaotix as Knuckles equivalent to Sonic/Sally's Freedom Fighters in the early days so even then making the term synonymous with a broader organization is a little silly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I guess the idea is that they expanded the business at some point and became more successful. I don't really see a problem with that in a Potential Future setting.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an unpopular opinion: they should combine the boost and Adventure styles and just have separate parts, kinda like 06 did. Have the X/Square button be used as a spin dash for most of the level, and then change it to boost when he reaches a long, flat plain. Kinda like the 2D-3D transitions but for controls. 

I don’t know if there was some other factors in this particular deal that I’m not savvy to, but:

I think Yuji Naka was a jerk for acting the way he did when he discovered the Sonic X-treme crew were using his NiGHTS engine. This occurred pretty late into X-treme’s developement iirc and was one of the last-ditch attempts to get the thing out there.

Yes, I understand Naka being annoyed at them using the engine without consulting him, but isn’t it possible they simply didn’t have time to run it past him due to the tight schedule they had? Naka could have been just a bit more synpathetic and understood the difficulties they were having and just gave them the benefit of the doubt. Instead he threatened to quit if it went ahead, and he got his way, resulting in more time being wasted for the X-treme team, which would essentially be the final nail in the coffin for the game.

No disrespect to Naka or anything, but the whole situation just didn’t paint him in a very good light for me.

I’m open to being educated if I’m wrong for feeling that way.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I don’t know if there was some other factors in this particular deal that I’m not savvy to, but:

I think Yuji Naka was a jerk for acting the way he did when he discovered the Sonic X-treme crew were using his NiGHTS engine. This occurred pretty late into X-treme’s developement iirc and was one of the last-ditch attempts to get the thing out there.

Yes, I understand Naka being annoyed at them using the engine without consulting him, but isn’t it possible they simply didn’t have time to run it past him due to the tight schedule they had? Naka could have been just a bit more synpathetic and understood the difficulties they were having and just gave them the benefit of the doubt. Instead he threatened to quit if it went ahead, and he got his way, resulting in more time being wasted for the X-treme team, which would essentially be the final nail in the coffin for the game.

No disrespect to Naka or anything, but the whole situation just didn’t paint him in a very good light for me.

I’m open to being educated if I’m wrong for feeling that way.

Yeah, that does sound way out of proportion a reaction.

I've been playing Sonic '06 for the first time, nearly finished it. I don't think it is very good. But I certainly think the hate for it and reputation as one of the worst games ever made is a bit overblown.

• Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, silvereye27 said:

...a bit overblown.

Not even close.

As a neutral fan, I can defend Nex Gen and even say...the only thing bad about the reaction to it is that people keep bringing it up.

• Nice Smile 1

Speaking of 06:

I’ve come to associate 06 jokes as the lowest form of Sonic-related humour, if not one of them.

Anything comedic that has a Sonic 06 jab in there somewhere immediatly drags the whole thing down.

• Nice Smile 1