Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually don't get why people are saying IDW Sonic is weak? It's everything I enjoyed about Ian's writing. I mean maybe the first arc was a little repetitive but it's picked up exponentially IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I actually don't get why people are saying IDW Sonic is weak? It's everything I enjoyed about Ian's writing. I mean maybe the first arc was a little repetitive but it's picked up exponentially IMHO.

There were a couple reasons that started to crop up around Issue 4(or maybe even 3 for some) and just became more noticeable in half the issues afterwards.

Lost World was interesting and I want to like it but even after trying it for dozen times, I never got used with the slippery controls. I also found parts of some stages pretty harsh and punishing. But @I Love Sticks, your post just made me reinstall LW and play it!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if popular or unpopular, but I feel that Bentley Jones is excellent at doing covers of anime songs. Here's an example for you Skakugan no Shana 2 fans.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

If there's one key thing that Forces did dabble into in a positive way, it's alternative playable characters. The usage was at least somewhat moderated, with customisation for one and another being restricted to DLC, and all four characters (if you count two Sonics) had a somewhat relevant role to the story, instead of tons upon tons of tech demo playable characters that just muddy up the game. Putting that with Mania's decent use of selectable characters and even reintroducing two retro ones, it could hopefully be a step into the non-Sonic characters being utilised again, but with balance in execution this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I feel like a lot of things in Sonic have essentially become more novelties rather than being straightforwardly substantial or good in their own right.

• Too Many Rings 1

A popular opinion I oppose: That Chris Thorndyke is a bad character.  I've started binge-watching Sonic X now that it's been officially uploaded to YouTube, I'm currently in the Sonic Adventure 1 arc, and while the show's got some problems, like big dips in animation quality, some lazy fight scenes, and writing that shoves battles between Sonic and Eggman into the margin during most episodes, leading Sonic to be absent from much of his own show, Chris becoming more in focus doesn't make me hate his character.  I don't find him annoying; just realistically childish and troubled.  He's kind of like a more tragic and sympathetic version of Mark the Tapir; sure he has an unhealthy obsession with Sonic but it comes from genuine loneliness that wasn't his fault, and while he did play into Eggman's hands in one finale, he also regretted it, fought back and helped stop him--and Chris respects Sonic as a person who has his own will; even if it puts the two of them at odds

An Unpopular Opinion I Hold: Enemy HP is a good thing.  Yes; it's a break with tradition in a lot of the most beloved Sonic games ever, but it's one of the additions to Sonic that I feel makes sense, or at least it did at the time the Adventure series had set expectations for the series.  Speed had become so automated at that point that something was needed to break that up, and the introduction of characters who had super-strength, projectiles, punches, kicks and hammers, plus fighter jets that were absurdly as flimsy as GUN beetles, all made it feel like some targets should be tougher.  This fleshed out the narrative of Sonic's games; increasing the types of both enemies and protagonists that could be viable, and of all the things they've used to slow down Sonic and pad out the game, this is probably what I found most fun.  Sonic Heroes combat may not be deep, but something about repeating homing attacks, throwing other characters into enemies, or best of all, letting Omega's big guns loose on them, is really satisfying to me.  Not to mention it gave us the Chaotix's hilarious super-attack.  I even had some fun with the combat in Shadow the Hedgehog.  I truly feel a sore lack of this when I see such ridiculous crap as Sonic boosting through a weak line of Egg Pawns placed that just so they can be boosted through, despite being commanded by an alleged genius, and I'm reminded of how when they reduce combat back down to "attack this enemy before it attacks you", the utility of many other characters decreases.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

An Unpopular Opinion I Hold: Enemy HP is a good thing.  Yes; it's a break with tradition in a lot of the most beloved Sonic games ever, but it's one of the additions to Sonic that I feel makes sense, or at least it did at the time the Adventure series had set expectations for the series.  Speed had become so automated at that point that something was needed to break that up, and the introduction of characters who had super-strength, projectiles, punches, kicks and hammers, plus fighter jets that were absurdly as flimsy as GUN beetles, all made it feel like some targets should be tougher.  This fleshed out the narrative of Sonic's games; increasing the types of both enemies and protagonists that could be viable, and of all the things they've used to slow down Sonic and pad out the game, this is probably what I found most fun.  Sonic Heroes combat may not be deep, but something about repeating homing attacks, throwing other characters into enemies, or best of all, letting Omega's big guns loose on them, is really satisfying to me.  Not to mention it gave us the Chaotix's hilarious super-attack.  I even had some fun with the combat in Shadow the Hedgehog.  I truly feel a sore lack of this when I see such ridiculous crap as Sonic boosting through a weak line of Egg Pawns placed that just so they can be boosted through, despite being commanded by an alleged genius, and I'm reminded of how when they reduce combat back down to "attack this enemy before it attacks you", the utility of many other characters decreases.

That's an interesting take and I can definitely see how one can feel disappointed with how the games have moved away from being more so how the player and characters moved through the level to what they do while moving through the level. If movement is automated and boring then what you do while moving can't afford to be. In a series that is built on movement being engaging though it kind of makes it doubly bad.

-----

Moving on to my own unpopular opinion, I've always preferred the name Eggman to Robotnik. No matter how much others tell me how much more threatening of a name Robotnik is (I mean really? Have you ever looked at the guy who's silly appearance allowed him to convince Knuckles that he wasn't a threat and thought he was threatening?) It just never worked for me. At best it sounds like a generic name to sell that he makes robots and worst it just sounds like Robot Nick and deprives him of any and all character unlike the name Eggman which highlights his shape and ties into all of the egg theming of his stuff.

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

...but something about repeatedly homing attacking...

This is something Sonic should be doing less of overall.

3 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

...when I see such ridiculous crap as Sonic boosting through a weak line of Egg Pawns placed that just so they can be boosted through...

This right here is less why enemy hp matters and more why it matters where the enemy is placed and what they can actually do to harm Sonic.

You're right, the lines of enemies have less to do with enemies having no HP and more to do with the delusion that unrestricted speed in itself is fun.  But the bottom line is I'd much rather play Sonic Heroes than at least some of the boost games.

I would much rather play Heroes than the Boost games, but the enemy problem definitely isn't the reason why.

That period of Sonic enemies just has the opposite problem of the now times. The fact that enemies had health bars in the 1st Sonic Rush kinda says some things.

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I would much rather play Heroes than the Boost games, but the enemy problem definitely isn't the reason why.

That period of Sonic enemies just has the opposite problem of the now times. The fact that enemies had health bars in the 1st Sonic Rush kinda says some things.

What it says to me is that Dimps probably realized boost would make it impossible to have long games unless you chose to do something controversial to pad them out.

11 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

A popular opinion I oppose: That Chris Thorndyke is a bad character.  I've started binge-watching Sonic X now that it's been officially uploaded to YouTube, I'm currently in the Sonic Adventure 1 arc, and while the show's got some problems, like big dips in animation quality, some lazy fight scenes, and writing that shoves battles between Sonic and Eggman into the margin during most episodes, leading Sonic to be absent from much of his own show, Chris becoming more in focus doesn't make me hate his character.  I don't find him annoying; just realistically childish and troubled.  He's kind of like a more tragic and sympathetic version of Mark the Tapir; sure he has an unhealthy obsession with Sonic but it comes from genuine loneliness that wasn't his fault, and while he did play into Eggman's hands in one finale, he also regretted it, fought back and helped stop him--and Chris respects Sonic as a person who has his own will; even if it puts the two of them at odds

Yeah, I was never really bothered by Chris myself.

Granted, Sonic X was my first real immersion into anything Sonic after the McDonalds games and a few seconds of someone playing Pumpkin Hill in Walmart, to the point that me and brother wondered where he was when we played Heroes. And I do have a tolerance towards some characters many tend to dislike as well. But the sentiment stands.

Like, I do get the general gist of it, but I myself was just alright when it came to him. 

On a different note, I did think the topic of how to improve Sonic X,particularly when he was the topic, was a somewhat interesting one to think about, even if the nice solution was arguably rather simple a consideration.

23 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

To be honest, I had no idea that Chris Thorndyke was even hated that much. I kind of disliked that that we don't get to see any adventures of Sonic and his friends but I don't hate Chris and I don't hate his character arc. I had no idea that there were many that had a vendetta against the poor guy. 

Yeah, I always met Chris with ambivalence at most. Not a fave at all, but not egregious for the most part (aside from that one moment in the SA2 adaptation where he transplanted Amy's key moment. It would have been better if he was supporting the team elsewhere, or even just backing up Amy with delivering the message home to Shadow). 

He's better than the likes of Sara. Yeesh. 

I think Comedy Chimp is worse than Chris. He’s just annoying and of little use. Same with Fastidious Beaver.

At least Comedy Chimp is in a blatant comedy.  While I don't dislike Chris, he absolutely didn't need to be in a Sonic show largely devoted to adapting the games.

Back on topic...

Unpopular Opinion: Labyrinth Zone is Cool: This seems to be most people's least favorite Sonic level, but for me it's one of the most memorable because it truly felt fresh.  Sonic was intended to be different from Mario, and while his speed was, of course, the signature difference, this level was special to me for being an inversion.  Mario can breathe underwater and swim, but his jump attacks don't work underwater.  Sonic's jump attacks still work underwater, but he can't swim and he needs to get air or he'll drown.  Yes; this can be very scary, but to me it's a good type.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I personally do not think that Mighty and Ray are that great characters. They are both not horrible or unlikable. They can be pretty funny and entertaining like in the Mania shorts, but overall I see them as pretty pointless characters. We already have a red powerhouse with Knuckles and a yellow flying creature with Tails.

Maybe if they will use them more in future games, I could change my opinion on them. But for now those two are pretty unnecessary for the series.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

We already have a red powerhouse with Knuckles and a yellow flying creature with Tails.

We didn't have them before they existed.

2 hours ago, Rowl said:

Unpopular opinion: I personally do not think that Mighty and Ray are that great characters. They are both not horrible or unlikable. They can be pretty funny and entertaining like in the Mania shorts, but overall I see them as pretty pointless characters. We already have a red powerhouse with Knuckles and a yellow flying creature with Tails.

Maybe if they will use them more in future games, I could change my opinion on them. But for now those two are pretty unnecessary for the series.  

My guess is they were selected for a combination of fanservice and compatibility with the classic formula.  Probably fanservice more, but honestly that's pure enough a motive for me.  The game was made partially to assure us things we thought might be gone forever really aren't, and Mighty and Ray fit with that.

Characters that fulfill similar roles just need their personality like every other character in this series. It can't just be because of their color schemes that they're unnecessary, that's literally coincidental.