Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

4 hours ago, Rowl said:

Doesn't matter. We only need one of those two character types. 

Might as well say goodbye to half the cast then.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

. It can't just be because of their color schemes that they're unnecessary, that's literally coincidental.

Pretty much.

With that said, I did wonder why didn't go ahead and make Mighty more of an orange ala Archie while they were at it with Ray.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Guergy said:

To be honest, I had no idea that Chris Thorndyke was even hated that much. I kind of disliked that that we don't get to see any adventures of Sonic and his friends but I don't hate Chris and I don't hate his character arc. I had no idea that there were many that had a vendetta against the poor guy. 

I think it's that, like many cases, Chris is often scapegoated as being the entity responsible for the show's problems, due to him making it a human focused adaptation. It's not like many problems are directly his role. Even when he doesn't appear Sonic is bland force of nature over a character, he rarely plays into the formulaic nature of each climax, and the characters continue to be flanderized even without his contribution, but at the same time, you know a lot of those directions were primarily due to making the narrative according to his character. Sonic being a bland ace was because he is meant to be Sonic through the eyes of a normal kid.

It's the same reason many original characters in adaptations with a great degree of prominence in how things work tend to get criticised, even if their own personalities aren't precisely bad per se. Sally in SatAm for example similarly has a lot of universe tailor made according to her role while Sonic is often designed to be a foil for her. In that sense these examples also tend to make each interpretation less about bringing the Sonic universe to life and more the worlds revolved around these particular characters.

5 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I think it's that, like many cases, Chris is often scapegoated as being the entity responsible for the show's problems, due to him making it a human focused adaptation. It's not like many problems are directly his role. Even when he doesn't appear Sonic is bland force of nature over a character, he rarely plays into the formulaic nature of each climax, and the characters continue to be flanderized even without his contribution, but at the same time, you know a lot of those directions were primarily due to making the narrative according to his character. Sonic being a bland ace was because he is meant to be Sonic through the eyes of a normal kid.

It's the same reason many original characters in adaptations with a great degree of prominence in how things work tend to get criticised, even if their own personalities aren't precisely bad per se. Sally in SatAm for example similarly has a lot of universe tailor made according to her role while Sonic is often designed to be a foil for her. In that sense these examples also tend to make each interpretation less about bringing the Sonic universe to life and more the worlds revolved around these particular characters.

Sonic was only a bland ace because the writers had a moronic misinterpretation of how rings work; upgrading even one of them into an ass-pull that Sonic can use to slice through the sort of bosses he would go Super to fight in the games.  If Chris was meant to be a stand-in for normal children who were Sonic fans, they should have realized by that time they had over a decade's worth of such children who would call bullshit on that.  Going from the games to that makes the show painfully anticlimactic; this deus ex machina is by far the worst thing about Sonic X.  Get rid of that and Sonic may or may not be a compelling enough character to carry a whole anime' plot, but at least fight scenes would be able to take up a larger portion of it, and Sonic fighting Eggman is what most children likely want a Sonic show to be about.

The thing is even without the plot armour, Sonic is a pretty idealised character in Sonic X, he wins nearly every argument, he's extremely carefree and rarely anything cracks him beyond righteous indignation. They keep some of his snark and impulsiveness so he at least isn't boring about it, but overall these are never treated as developed vices (besides his water phobia which is more a comedic 'not so above it all' gag). Even when the series toys with the idea of Sonic doing a controversial action, it rarely fazes him personally and most of the time his glorified role gets him out of any real repercussions (eg. he could have easily told everyone about the Sunshine Ball plot first and there are even points he is almost intentionally trolling those opposing him, but it is quickly shrugged off when he snarks it's there own fault for falling for such a huge idiot ball).

He is also probably the most emotionally purged version of Sonic. Nothing really gets to him, to the point he almost comes off as a cold. Even his acts of sentimentality are often distant and formal. He seems like a guy that doesn't really need anyone or anything, just his own drives. Case in point when Chris seemingly strands him on Earth. Despite faced with the potential of never seeing any of his old friends again, he is completely nonchalant and knows to stick there for Chris in the meantime.

Sonic quite obviously is not really designed to have his own character arc in Sonic X, something even the games have sometimes tried to toy with (eg. Lost Worlds) he sets up others' character arcs, often Chris. He is a hero and figurehead for them.

The fact Chris is not really a relatable kid is a flaw, but I owe that more to usual incompetent marketing and writing thinking they know who their audience is.

So for a while I've come to terms with the fact that Sonic plots especially the pre colors era ones aren't really good at all. But they have a certain sense of sincerity that keeps me engaged with the characters and make me care about what's going on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here’s an opinion that was beaten to death long ago yet bears repeating:

Bring back the Chao Gardens

I know, I know, this is something people would not shut up about 10 years ago, but it’s true. With every upcoming Sonic game, especially Forces, every other interviewer wanted to know if the Chao were coming back. Sonic comes up in conversations with my friends, they immediately light up and start gushing about the Chao. Those goddamn Chao Gardens seem like the most-requested thing among everyone BUT the fans, and honestly I have no idea why we aren’t clamoring for them, too. Without the Chao Gardens, SA2 would’ve been just another fun game from my childhood. No way would I have grown to love Sonic gameplay as much as I have if it weren’t for the virtual pets incentivizing me to get better. They should definitely come back, there’s simply no question about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

.I'm pretty sure Sally and maybe Rotor were originally written to be the other way around. 

Later episodes and comic stories are definitely up for debate, but the focus was generally on Sonic himself.

5 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Sonic was only a bland ace because the writers had a moronic misinterpretation of how rings work; upgrading even one of them into an ass-pull that Sonic can use to slice through the sort of bosses he would go Super to fight in the games. 

That was always gonna be a thing, though--the proof of concept pilot had it be what looked like chunks of the Master Emerald.

4 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Case in point when Chris seemingly strands him on Earth. Despite faced with the potential of never seeing any of his old friends again, he is completely nonchalant and knows to stick there for Chris in the meantime.

Honestly, I kinda got the vibe that he really could've gotten back at any point anyway.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:37 PM, DabigRG said:

.I'm pretty sure Sally and maybe Rotor were originally written to be the other way around. 

Later episodes and comic stories are definitely up for debate, but the focus was generally on Sonic himself.

A common complaint about the earlier points of the SatAm/Archie story is that the universe is more designed around Princess Sally's importance than Sonic's, and that a fair amount of characters are designed less to foil him than her. Most of Sonic's downgrades in the show and early comics seem designed to make her look more important as well.

This is a common trait in adaptations really, because mandates and fan protectiveness leave many writers feeling more secure developing on their own characters than sacred ones from established franchises. Keep in mind the whole 'Sonic doesn't cry' mandate after one episode.

Sonic games choosing to be "lol so edgy" or "stand up comedies" storywise aren't bad things in and of themselves--the real problem is SEGA choosing to do one near constantly for several games, often with diminishing returns.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Sonic games choosing to be "lol so edgy" or "stand up comedies" storywise aren't bad things in and of themselves--the real problem is SEGA choosing to do one near constantly for several games, often with diminishing returns.

The actual problem is that they have no sense of consistency or flow; things are either taking themselves entirely too seriously to be believable or acting like they don't care about anything that happens. The writing is basically treated like an afterthought with no real thought put in beyond "X needs to happen" and that's about it. The games aren't written like...actual plots with ups and downs of seriousness and levity. 

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

These's days, it's either one or the other because when SEGA does try to try to combine the two, the backlash is often massive. 

50 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The actual problem is that they have no sense of consistency or flow; things are either taking themselves entirely too seriously to be believable or acting like they don't care about anything that happens. The writing is basically treated like an afterthought with no real thought put in beyond "X needs to happen" and that's about it. The games aren't written like...actual plots with ups and downs of seriousness and levity. 

That is a part of it too, yes, though I think its fair to say the latter of the polar trends has had that problem moreso.

47 minutes ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

These's days, it's either one or the other because when SEGA does try to try to combine the two, the backlash is often massive. 

Yeah, we definitely got that with Lost World in particular.

Probably unpopular, but I actually do like Mephiles the Dark despite all of his flaws. There's just something about his creepy mouthless ways that just entertains me and that makes him enjoyable enough. Shame SEGA never let him get more than a cameo in the comics as I'm curious what type of story Ian Flynn could tell with him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

19 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Probably unpopular, but I actually do like Mephiles the Dark despite all of his flaws. There's just something about his creepy mouthless ways that just entertains me and that makes him enjoyable enough. 

Yeah, I really liked the guy too.

20 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Shame SEGA never let him get more than a cameo in the comics as I'm curious what type of story Ian Flynn could tell with him.

Oh, he's tossed quite a few ideas around about that.

In fact, that's a origin for what was eventually reworked into Eclipse.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, he's tossed quite a few ideas around about that.

In fact, that's a origin for what was eventually reworked into Eclipse.

Really?

Well I guess this is what happens when I don't keep up with Bumblekast. Though with Eclipse being more of the whiny kid brother desperate for approval to me he definitely turned out very differently. That's far from a bad thing though as Eclipse the Darkling is quite the entertaining character in his own right.

4 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Really?

Well I guess this is what happens when I don't keep up with Bumblekast. 

Oh no, he was talking about that kinda stuff since I wanna say the Ask Ian days, with the Total Eclipse pitch being on the Super Power Flower Hour, iirc.

5 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Though with Eclipse being more of the whiny kid brother desperate for approval to me he definitely turned out very differently. That's far from a bad thing though as Eclipse the Darkling is quite the entertaining character in his own right.

Oh definitely.

It goes to show that a little pushback and/or alternative suggestions can lead to more creativity, with the Dark Arms being the latter.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:35 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Probably unpopular, but I actually do like Mephiles the Dark despite all of his flaws. There's just something about his creepy mouthless ways that just entertains me and that makes him enjoyable enough. Shame SEGA never let him get more than a cameo in the comics as I'm curious what type of story Ian Flynn could tell with him.

He is cool in his own strange way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion I disagree with: Sonic is Goku down to a T, no. he's not, Sonic is not a dumbass. he's not able to use the Chaos Emeralds because he's a complete moron, Sonic knows how to drive. he's actually altruistic and heroic, and he does enjoy helping people without getting a thank you. Sonic is seen reading books unlike Goku, who is never seen doing such a thing. he's the one who obviously built his (red) Tornado, and would have had to fix said plane multiple times himself before he meets Tails. Sonic's actually book smart. his Super Form (beyond being powered by the Chaos Emeralds) is also powered by positive emotions, unlike Super Saiyan which is fueled by anger and negative emotions. like Dark Sonic from Sonic X. so no, he's not Goku. stop saying he is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

This might be unpopular I don't know but I'd like to see BigRedButton have another shot at Sonic. They were micromanaged like crazy and now that there's been time since Rise of Lyric they can improve on the issues with that game.

• Too Many Rings 1

Big Red Button mighty could have turned out to be a good studio, if Sega didn't screw them over. The concept of Sonic Boom sounded actually pretty good and interesting. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Rowl said:

Big Red Button mighty have turned out to be a good studio, if Sega didn't screw them over. The concept of Sonic Boom sounded actually pretty good.

I agree with this statement. I also think that they should had stuck with the original plan for Sonic Boom and Sonic Synergy. I want a serious Sonic adventure story, not a meta comedy about how lame Sonic is.

i thiiink this is a popular opinion? my favorite sonic is toei sonic, i wish he got more use : ( (though i guess that was what they were going for in sonic mania! i'm really happy with that sonic) i also really like classic sonic, not the games specifically but the design! the light blue color is really nice : D

I really don't like how classic Sonic plays in Generations, he isn't as smooth as he was in the original games and some of the remixed levels feel like less like a classic game.

36 minutes ago, Guergy said:

I really don't like how classic Sonic plays in Generations, he isn't as smooth as he was in the original games and some of the remixed levels feel like less like a classic game.

Classic Sonic in Generations is really more like Rush without boosting or tricks. He's basically a mod of Modern Sonic, and neither the physics nor level design come close to emulating the Classics. I enjoy his gameplay, but its a weak imitation really. And even as it's own thing if you try to ignore that it's supposed to replicate the Classics, his control is way off natural. He's heavy and clunky, that's are lots of automated sections and it's just generally imprecise. I don't know quite how they took it and made everything even worse in Forces. Forces is built on Lost World, sure, but the underlying framework is still all the same.

• Thumbs Up 1