Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I guess my biggest unpopular Sonic opinion is that Ken Penders isn't (or maybe wasn't) a completely talentless hack. On the contrary, I think he did some good for the Archie Sonic series early on. Later on, he got a bit too pretentious with his ideas, but I do appreciate that he recognised the potential was there for serious storytelling rather than just a gag comic.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't in response to any single person in particular, but I do have the opinion that a fair number of fans seem disappointed with Sonic Boom not for its quality, but because it wasn't trying to be what some fans hoped from the latest Sonic TV show. I get the feeling that alot of fans - myself included - want a TV show which is essentially Sonic X but done right, serialised stories, the game cast front and center, maybe some game plot adaptations, relatively serious but with good humour etc, sortof like the TV show version of the current IDW run.

Compared to Boom which was first and foremost a comedy show over everything else, and was set in its own universe, and aside from the mainstays had an entirely original setting and cast of supporting characters. I dunno, I mean not to say Boom is perfect by any means and that you can't make valid criticisms of it. I guess I just find it a little sad that it feels like some fans never gave it a chance because it didn't meet their expectations of what they wanted.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, silvereye27 said:

This isn't in response to any single person in particular, but I do have the opinion that a fair number of fans seem disappointed with Sonic Boom not for its quality, but because it wasn't trying to be what some fans hoped from the latest Sonic TV show. I get the feeling that alot of fans - myself included - want a TV show which is essentially Sonic X but done right, serialised stories, the game cast front and center, maybe some game plot adaptations, relatively serious but with good humour etc, sortof like the TV show version of the current IDW run.

Compared to Boom which was first and foremost a comedy show over everything else, and was set in its own universe, and aside from the mainstays had an entirely original setting and cast of supporting characters. I dunno, I mean not to say Boom is perfect by any means and that you can't make valid criticisms of it. I guess I just find it a little sad that it feels like some fans never gave it a chance because it didn't meet their expectations of what they wanted.

Probably also comedy fatigue, due to the comical nature of the last main game, which was only slightly goofier than the last couple main games.

15 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Probably also comedy fatigue, due to the comical nature of the last main game, which was only slightly goofier than the last couple main games.

Indeed. Boom came at a time where we were drowned in Sitcom Sonic already, so it was just another to the pile. It was basically you want comedy Sonic, or comedy comedy Sonic. It wasn't really different from what we already had, and would have stood out more if it came out during the action plot days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah all good points, its greatest trait was its humor but that didn't help it self from standing out and leaving much of an impact.

Yeah, fans wanted some action and continuity heavy cartoon, maybe another anime? Idk, Boom was a sitcom and I liked it for what it was. Thought it was very well written compared to the games. I think the comics are perfect for them, they meet those fan standards, and they are a quality product imo, with ongoing storylines and well written characters, plus they are set in or inspired by the game world, while Boom was supposed to be a comepletely different thing.

I really don't hate the Babylon Rouges as much as a lot of people seem to, and if they became main series characters I wouldn't complain. They have interesting backstory, personalities (aside from storm), and motives. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Honestly, one of the things that I like about the Rogues is that they are present as much as treasure hunters as racers. As unorthodox as their preferred form of transportation is in a franchise about a character who runs, their in your face attitudes and general greediness I think plays well with the franchise on a whole.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

I really don't hate the Babylon Rouges as much as a lot of people seem to, and if they became main series characters I wouldn't complain. They have interesting backstory, personalities (aside from storm), and motives. 

I don't dislike them, i just tend to forget they exist at times.

Which is a shame because they do feel like sorta funs additions to the series, but they're just so context heavy.

I always really liked the Babylon Rogues and I’d be happy to see them in a main game. I want to see what they’re capable of outside of skateboarding.

On another note an opinion I have is that I absolutely hate media where Sonic needs a ring to go into a ball like Sonic X or SatAM. I can’t stand that shit; he’s a hedgehog and is anatomically designed to curl into a ball, and his speed and sharp spines are what make the spin ball so devastating! Not a ring! Like in Sonic X Sonic seems to be completely helpless when a ring isn’t present. I don’t get it. That always bothered the hell outta me.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

I always really liked the Babylon Rogues and I’d be happy to see them in a main game. I want to see what they’re capable of outside of skateboarding.

On another note an opinion I have is that I absolutely hate media where Sonic needs a ring to go into a ball like Sonic X or SatAM. I can’t stand that shit; he’s a hedgehog and is anatomically designed to curl into a ball, and his speed and sharp spines are what make the spin ball so devastating! Not a ring! Like in Sonic X Sonic seems to be completely helpless when a ring isn’t present. I don’t get it. That always bothered the hell outta me.

To be fair, it was less him needing the ring so much as the ring giving him an extra boost.

There were a number of instances where he does a Spin without one.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's more of a power inconsistency, he doesn't need a ring to go into a ball...the rings just make him faster.

He curls into a ball without them quite a few times.

^Alright then...

• Nice Smile 1

My bigger complaint towards the 'power ring boost' format is that it's often used as plot armour over Sonic getting to do anything crafty or strategic. Most of the time in the other cartoons when Sonic loses the upper hand we see he isn't just powerful, but he can use his wits about it when it won't get him all the way there. A lot of SatAm and nearly ALL of Sonic X, the moment it looked like Sonic needed an ounce of agency to defeat a bad guy they just brought in the power ring to make things completely one sided again.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

My bigger complaint towards the 'power ring boost' format is that it's often used as plot armour over Sonic getting to do anything crafty or strategic. Most of the time in the other cartoons when Sonic loses the upper hand we see he isn't just powerful, but he can use his wits about it when it won't get him all the way there. A lot of SatAm and nearly ALL of Sonic X, the moment it looked like Sonic needed an ounce of agency to defeat a bad guy they just brought in the power ring to make things completely one sided again.

So...just like any other 90's or 80's childrens cartoon at that time period?

46 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

So...just like any other 90's or 80's childrens cartoon at that time period?

Anime perhaps, but I remember more times in AoSth and the likes where Sonic wasn't winning utterly and had to be halfway smart about it (if maybe too overtly, like that show  LITERALLY ripped off Bugs Bunny).

Just now, E-122-Psi said:

Anime perhaps, but I remember more times in AoSth and the likes where Sonic wasn't winning utterly and had to be halfway smart about it (if maybe too overtly, like that show  LITERALLY ripped off Bugs Bunny).

Half of the times Sonic won in AOSTH was because of some screw up by Scratch and Grounder or by Robotnik; hence the Bugs Bunny influence, because all of Bugs opponents were blatantly less smart and dumber  than him to make him look better. 

Its the same shit with Skeletor, Mumra, Shredder, etc etc etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't really tell if this is popular or not at this point. I admit I'm a little confused given the separation of the fanbase. 

But I really think Sonic could make use of all of the characters and ideas that have been here since Day 1 from all over the series' multiverse. I really appreciated how Archie Sonic felt like the Ultimate Sonic the Hedgehog where everything got a chance to shine. Where a bunch of Sonics could be compared to Peter Parker (especially Nicky from the Sonic manga but with a Captain Mar-I mean Shazam feel to Sonic and Nicky's being a single character), Archie Sonic from the post reboot can be really easily compared to Miles Morales. He's still the Sonic we love but there's more of this expansive universe that allows anything that was a thing in Sonic to shine. So far to even having GUN Agent Madonna. 

I'm really tired of Sega throwing out a lot of the old stuff when what they need to work on is moderation. Not everyone has to be part of every story of the series. People's paths intertwine. A protagonist of one story is a support character in another story. You know how this works. 

I mean, I really enjoy the amount of possibility the series has. I'm kind of sad that with such a colourful cast of characters that there aren't more spinoffs like Tails Adventure or a Knuckles game. Could you imagine what a Knuckles Solo game would be like? Knuckles could have something like a Wario Land game where it's more combat and exploration heavy but you still have the momentum physics based gameplay and even apply that to puzzle solving. Or heck, a tactical MGS meets Sonic game featuring the Freedom Fighters.  There's so much possibility for neat and out there ideas. 

That's why when we were oversaturated with Sonic games for some years in the 2000s it was sad that not a lot of them were unique. I mean, keep it all to the core of Sonic's momentum physics gameplay yes, but really experiment and not be afraid to keep the old stories there to be expanded upon in the future. 

Like if there's one more reimagining of Sonic I want it's the Spider-Verse/Amalgamation of everything that's been encompassed in the series. 

I mean that's the thing that sucks about Contemporary Sonic. It doesn't want to do anything new with the old stuff. When the old stuff gets used it's almost exactly like it was then without anything new being added with the exception being Sonic Mania. It's clear that no one at Sonic Team and Sega are sure what to do with Sonic while long time fans at the Mania team make use of everything and do new stuff with the old. I want the kind of love Sonic Mania had put into it put into the rest of the series. 

Is that so much to ask for? 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

That's the unfortunate part, I know. I know most of the Sonic the Comic stuff can't be used because of copyright issues. You'd think Sega would own all of this Sonic stuff. 

This statement blew up when I posted it on Twitter, so:

Shadow is not an "edgelord" by any stretch of the imagination. He's reserved, soft-spoken and introspective, but he's not some emo punk. Any angst or introversion you see from him is a result of past trauma rather than any desire to be "edgy".

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

On another note an opinion I have is that I absolutely hate media where Sonic needs a ring to go into a ball like Sonic X or SatAM. I can’t stand that shit; he’s a hedgehog and is anatomically designed to curl into a ball, and his speed and sharp spines are what make the spin ball so devastating!

I whole heartedly agree. It's part of the reason that Sonic was chosen to be a hedgehog in the first place was his ability to curl into a ball. It's also one of the reasons I get so irritated when people say that Amy should never curl up into a ball. Why should a hedgehog not be able to curl up into a ball when it is part of their "NATURAL" defenses? I just don't understand why so many people always feel the need to strip that aspect away from the hedgehog characters and replace it with something else or require an external means to use their natural abilities. It just doesn't make sense.

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I whole heartedly agree. It's part of the reason that Sonic was chosen to be a hedgehog in the first place was his ability to curl into a ball. It's also one of the reasons I get so irritated when people say that Amy should never curl up into a ball. Why should a hedgehog not be able to curl up into a ball when it is part of their "NATURAL" defenses? I just don't understand why so many people always feel the need to strip that aspect away from the hedgehog characters and replace it with something else or require an external means to use their natural abilities. It just doesn't make sense.

To be fair in Amy's case, she's undergone a serious trim since the Classics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair in Amy's case, she's undergone a serious trim since the Classics. 

True, and unpopular opinion here, but I never was fond of the redesign. I got used to it in time to be sure but I still vastly prefer Amy's original design. I get the whole idea to the bob cut look to make her more visually appealing in Japan by giving her a popular haircut style among girls at the time, but since Sonic is still most popular in the west where anthropomorphic animal characters are more widely accepted beyond primarily Hello Kitty and Doraemon there was no reason to minimize her in-universe hedgehog appearance.

1 minute ago, Sonic Fan J said:

True, and unpopular opinion here, but I never was fond of the redesign. I got used to it in time to be sure but I still vastly prefer Amy's original design. I get the whole idea to the bob cut look to make her more visually appealing in Japan by giving her a popular haircut style among girls at the time, 

Holy shit, that's exactly what that is and why they did it, isn't it? 

Wow, I never thought of that. 

3 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

but since Sonic is still most popular in the west where anthropomorphic animal characters are more widely accepted beyond primarily Hello Kitty and Doraemon there was no reason to minimize her in-universe hedgehog appearance.

So what you're saying is give her a Mohawk? 

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

So what you're saying is give her a Mohawk?

Please no. If there is one hairstyle I cannot stand it is the mohawk. I loathed when they gave it to Sonic instead of sticking to his agreed upon final design and I loathe it IRL as well as in any medium it shows up in. I just don't like. You have no idea how overjoyed I was when Sonic's six quill design actually became popular and the mohawk became a distant memory.

On the topic of quill arrangements though I dislike the insistence that Sonic X had of only showing 3 quills regardless of angle as it looked bizarre and unnatural as anything. I can't even understand how that got approved by SEGA/Sonic Team. On other quill opinions though, I always disliked the Fleetway design on Amy upturning her quills even if it was born from a misinterpretation of a single picture.

One last unpopular opinion though since I'm on a role. I dislike the advance sprite art. The level of character animation is awesome, don't get me wrong on that, but I find the art style very displeasing to outright ugly depending on the character.