Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Unpopular opinions here,

I always preferred the egg pawns to other badniks when it came to basic mooks. 

I don’t like badniks having flickies trapped inside them because it makes me feel bad running past an enemy. When I was younger I’d try and destroy every enemy and it made my playthroughs of games more stressful than they needed to be.

Advance 3 did it right by having enemies powered by rings. Lore wise I’m not sure if flickies actually power badniks but I used to think that and thought rings just make way more sense. I wish they’d do that again. That or the flowers from CD. Rings still make more sense but the world being covered with flowers after destroying baddies is so nice and satisfying.

I wish Sonic Team would give us an open fully 3D Sonic game already, but I still want boost games to be released on the side. Honestly I’d love it if they were $30 games that are short and sweet and consist of nothing but dumb fun, blast forward at full speed boost levels. No classic Sonic, no other nonsense to slow the pace down. Just boost. I think it’d be a great way to keep the formula alive, plus I think even people who dislike the boost could have a greater appreciation for them if the big boy fully 3D Sonic Utopia/Mario Odyssey style game is still the main course. 

I don’t  think this is unpopular but I really wish they’d give us cool cover 2D art for games again. Like the Japanese classics, SA1 and 2, Sonic Rush, Sonic Battle and the reversible Sonic Mania plus cover. The 3D artworks tend to be so boring and generic looking. Especially with all the sick Sonic Channel Art Uekawa is putting out there’s no excuse. They could easily have stylish cover arts I can’t keep my eyes off again. Honestly the SA1 and Sonic Jam cover arts are so nice to look at. I want that again. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

Advance 3 did it..

I'm not sure if "did it right"...really means much in this case.

Advance 3 "did it right"...by your conscience, so that's something.

It's not actually better.

I really wish that we can another Sonic RPG that utilizes Sonic's momentum and speed just aas Mario and Lugi's games use Mario's abilities.

• Nice Smile 1

18 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

I don’t like badniks having flickies trapped inside them because it makes me feel bad running past an enemy.

But it made you incentivize to destroy the badniks. That was the whole reason Sonic went out to stop Eggman, to save the innocent creatures he captured/enslaved. A ring is not a big incentive, definitely not a big heroic reason to go against enemies. You might as well just ignore most of them if possible instead of going out of your way to destroy them at that point.

15 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I'm not sure if "did it right"...really means much in this case.

Advance 3 "did it right"...by your conscience, so that's something.

It's not actually better.

You don’t think enemies being powered by the worlds power rings makes more sense than helpless little animals?

4 hours ago, Tarnish said:

But it made you incentivize to destroy the badniks. That was the whole reason Sonic went out to stop Eggman, to save the innocent creatures he captured/enslaved. A ring is not a big incentive, definitely not a big heroic reason to go against enemies. You might as well just ignore most of them if possible instead of going out of your way to destroy them at that point.

The fact Eggman’s robot army is out there harming wildlife is enough incentive to destroy enemies. Flickies would still be captured in capsules at the end of the stages so they’ll still play their part. 

And besides it’s not like you get anything for destroying all enemies anyways. I’d be more behind this idea if the levels were more designed for destroying all enemies in mind or at least if you got a “enemy bonus” at the end of a stage for doing so. 

I just don’t like the idea that any enemies I haven’t come across will have a helpless critter trapped inside of them for the rest of their life. Especially when I was but a young bab. 

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

You don’t think enemies being powered by the worlds power rings makes more sense than helpless little animals?

If we're following the logic of SATam rings, yes.

No, though.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

If we're following the logic of SATam rings, yes.

No, though.

Plus Shadow's Game, apparently.

I might have said this before I can't remember but Unpopular Opinion I think the IDW comic is really good and honestly I think I'm starting to like it more than either Pre or Post Reboot Archie. 

It's not bogged down in nonsense it's just a good fun Sonic comic and I enjoy that.

I'm perfectly OK if Sonic Team were to stop using CGI renders and instead went with hand drawn art, preferably from Hesse. 

• Nice Smile 1

Unpopular:

Sonic Unleashed HD is my favorite in the franchise

RoL is my 2nd favorite and has my favorite soundtrack in the franchise

I think RoL is infinitely better than 06 in every way shape and form

I love Forces

HD Dark Gaia is my favorite boss in the franchise

I love the Werehog more than the hedgehog

I didn't mind the medal hunting

Developers need to make risks otherwise it will be the same game as the last and will bore me

All I ask is to be creative and think of new features, otherwise you might as well make the exact same game again

At best, I rank the Classics as below average (Mania is the worst offender) and at worst Sonic Genesis GBA

I play the Modern games for story mostly

I love Black Knight

If I was to give 06 any credit, at least the characters had variety.  This is why I would play 06 over Mania.  Funny, I'd rather play a game I hate over a game I just don't like because of one thing

Mephiles killed Sonic in the worst, most anticlimactic, cowardly way possible if you ask me

I actually like that you need to unlock your abilities in HD Unleashed since it feels like you earned them.

I won't take away points for a bad story, they're just bonus points.  The most inportant thing in games is the gameplay after all.  I'd rather have bad story, good gameplay over bad gameplay, good story

Chip/Light Gaia is my favorite sidekick/secondary character in the franchise

I rank none of the fan games I played over my top 4 (1: Unleashed HD 2: RoL 3: Black Knight 4: Forces)

I don't enjoy insulting game developers/publishers.  I did it once, but to my defense  they just did something that I had to question.  Then after I read a comment I actually took it back.  So I pretty much view Sega differently from everyone else

I don't mind the Deadly 6

1 hour ago, Miles Storzillo said:

I think RoL is infinitely better than 06 in every way shape and form

How are the load times for that game, btw?

1 hour ago, Miles Storzillo said:

Mephiles killed Sonic in the worst, most anticlimactic, cowardly way possible if you ask me

That may have actually been part of the point, actually.

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

How are the load times for that game, btw?

That may have actually been part of the point, actually.

I haven't played RoL in a while since I already 100% that game and right now I'm focusing on Hyrule Warriors, but I don't remember them being too irritating.  Especially compared to 06 where each area of a level had a load time (and town missions have a total of 4).  Doesn't help that thanks to the (quite outdated if you ask me) lives system where if you get a game over you have to sit through all that loading again.  Especially since the game doesn't auto save and it only gives you a chance to save after a real level/boss.  Have you heard how many people got a game over on Wave Ocean then they had to start all the way back to the intro cutscene because the game didn't give them a choice to save after the ring mission and the game never tells you that you can manually save in Soleanna's hub world?  Or how about End of the World which is split into 7 areas and has instant kill obstacles that can suprise attack you?

The Sonic 1 Special Stage music, for some reason, puts me more on edge than the drowning music. The same for Sonic 4 Episode 1's Special Stage music. They're supposed to be relaxing, but they have the opposite effect. 

Unpopular(?) opinion:

Sky Base in Sonic 1 (8 bit) is canon.

Team Sonic Racing has recently shown a track with Mother Wisp as a stage hazard, implying that she exists in the Sonic universe. It's a spin-off, ok, but still...

Mother Wisp was an excludive of the DS version of Sonic Colors, she was not in the Wii version of the game.

This means that additional parts of story told in secondary versions of a game are canon to some extent...

I think that Bridge and Jungle are still part of Green Hill (those red flowers from Jungle are in Generations' version of Green Hill), and Sky Base happend just after the final boss of Sonic 1 on Genesis.

I think that the scene when Sonic purifies the island by using the 6 chaos emeralds is also canon, and that's actually a form of Chaos Control; in the Genesis version the same scene only spawns some flowers in the final screen.

Dunno if it's unpopular or not, but:

I really like Sonic Heroes' boss battles where you have  to destroy waves and waves of badniks. Until that point, we were used to one hit, usually very easy to kill (with some exceptions) enemies and the notion that destroying multiple enemies were only for homing attack chains (or for characters with guns). It was just fun and satisfying to smash that many enemies and the idea that enemies required different tactics to defeat.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

^I really hate those battles, they are clearly not bosses at all.

Anyway, I like both Egg Pawns AND Badniks so I'm glad both are sticking around in the series. Egg Pawns especially because they can be given a variety of themes and weapons.

6 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

^I really hate those battles, they are clearly not bosses at all.

Anyway, I like both Egg Pawns AND Badniks so I'm glad both are sticking around in the series. Egg Pawns especially because they can be given a variety of themes and weapons.

I don't care about how the enemies look, I didn't like the enemies in Heroes because of their looks, but because of the challenge they represented. Once the Egg Pawns became one hit cannon fodder they just became boring.

5 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I don't care about how the enemies look, I didn't like the enemies in Heroes because of their looks, but because of the challenge they represented. Once the Egg Pawns became one hit cannon fodder they just became boring.

it's really not a matter of Egg Pawns, but rather the use of enemies in recent games, which can be applied to every standard enemy though. Egg Pawns had lifebars in Heroes due to power type characters, and due to focus on weapons in ShtH.

Anyway I care about the look, both badniks and Egg Pawns have great personality and style.

8 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Egg Pawns have great personality and style

For me that's just a sign they really went overboard with the comedic flavor. The whole "Eggman and his silly/goofy robots".

For me that's just a sign they really went overboard with the comedic flavor. The whole "Eggman and his silly/goofy robots".

And that's why I prefer the Egg Pawns in Forces.

Can't say I see how they're any more goofy than robot ladybugs...

• Thumbs Up 4

the biggest problem with egg pawns is that they're not part of the stages ecosystem so they don't contribute to the feeling of each level and that's a bit boring

49 minutes ago, Catallena said:

the biggest problem with egg pawns is that they're not part of the stages ecosystem so they don't contribute to the feeling of each level and that's a bit boring

Isn't that sort of the point though? They're foot soldiers.

Also, some games do have them equipped and/or accessorized to fit the locale, particularly Colors.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Ch'yeah, i was about to say. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I had a feeling this point would be brought up. And while you have a point, I think it's taking it to another level when his robots are starting to have goofy personalities and start acting goofy instead of just being inspried by bugs and animals.

And then there's of course Cubot and Orbot..

• Fist Bump 1

10 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I had a feeling this point would be brought up. And while you have a point, I think it's taking it to another level when his robots are starting to have goofy personalities and start acting goofy instead of just being inspried by bugs and animals.

And then there's of course Cubot and Orbot..

You could argue that they just didn't have the ability to express this side of them before. They've always been toy-like and have had the occasional cheeky animation