KHCast

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

the biggest problem with egg pawns is that they're not part of the stages ecosystem so they don't contribute to the feeling of each level and that's a bit boring

49 minutes ago, Catallena said:

the biggest problem with egg pawns is that they're not part of the stages ecosystem so they don't contribute to the feeling of each level and that's a bit boring

Isn't that sort of the point though? They're foot soldiers.

Also, some games do have them equipped and/or accessorized to fit the locale, particularly Colors.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Can't say I see how they're any more goofy than robot ladybugs...

Ch'yeah, i was about to say. :lol:

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Can't say I see how they're any more goofy than robot ladybugs...

I had a feeling this point would be brought up. And while you have a point, I think it's taking it to another level when his robots are starting to have goofy personalities and start acting goofy instead of just being inspried by bugs and animals.

And then there's of course Cubot and Orbot..

10 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I had a feeling this point would be brought up. And while you have a point, I think it's taking it to another level when his robots are starting to have goofy personalities and start acting goofy instead of just being inspried by bugs and animals.

You could argue that they just didn't have the ability to express this side of them before. They've always been toy-like and have had the occasional cheeky animation 

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

You could argue that they just didn't have the ability to express this side of them before. They've always been toy-like and have had the occasional cheeky animation 

Or you could say he finally moved on from bug/animal designs, only to have them now behave like goofballs. Decide which is weirder.

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

Or you could say he finally moved on from bug/animal designs, only to have them now behave like goofballs. Decide which is weirder.

I'm talking about the devs when I say "they". This isn't about canon. 

18 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

If they're goofy in design why should they not also be goofy in personality? It's not as if the animal-based badniks were ferocious killers in spite of their designs, and there was already goofy stuff like the bouncy spike guys, the weather vane chickens that just blew you back, and the kikis in SA laughing if they hit you before Egg Pawns were introduced.

18 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Ain't nothing wrong with those wonderful geometric boys.

13 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Considering Heroes had turtle, bird, and rhino robots he didn't exactly "move on" from animal robots.

8 hours ago, Tarnish said:

For me that's just a sign they really went overboard with the comedic flavor. The whole "Eggman and his silly/goofy robots".

Y'mean the thing that's been a part of Eggman's character since Sonic 1?

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Ain't nothing wrong with those wonderful geometric boys.

I wouldn't shed a tear for them if Sonic smashed them to bits like he does with every other robot.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Y'mean the thing that's been a part of Eggman's character since Sonic 1?

Like I said, I see a difference between robots that are inspired by bugs/animals with primitive AI and robots with AI he seemingly programmed to be goofy. You could still at least argue the animal like robots were still utilised/designed to attack (the rhino robot in Sonic 3 for charging towards Sonic, pirahna robot to bite, monkey robot to throw projectiles, the buzzer robots to fly above the character to stay out of reach, etc.). The same can't really be said when you just have Eggpawns waving a sign in the background.

3 hours ago, Tarnish said:

You know, that's interesting contrast now that you mention it:

The Badniks, who tend to have cutesy and/or bizarre designs, were usuallyy just basic attack and/or obstacle sentries. And it's Orbot, the Egg Pawns, and especially Cubot, who have much more purposeful and grounded designs, who tend to be used to humorous effect.

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

I wouldn't shed a tear for them if Sonic smashed them to bits like he does with every other robot.

Well they do tend to be buttmonkeys, particularly Cubot.

Badniks come in a number shapes. Amongst them are the lady-bug shaped Motobugs and Eggman-shaped Egg Pawns. I really don't differentiate between them, beyond the fact that Egg Pawns tend to be thrown around with less variety from both a visual and gameplay perspective. I appreciate that Colours dressed them up differently for different environments and gave them a range of attacks to suit.

The only designs I really can't stand are of the Egg Gunner series in '06 for how boring and uncharacteristic of Eggman they were. The Forces ones also rather blow for looking useless. I understand the "mass produced" aesthetic they wanted to achieve. But it was handled much better with the Death Egg Robots; Eggman's main army should have looked at least a touch threatening or representative of his style. There's nothing to glean from "white ball with legs".

I still await the day when we get a scenario where Egg Pawns end up being rather scary. Like say you're in a haunted house/dark room, and then suddenly an Egg Pawn's face lights up in front of you, but the way the room handles ambience makes the goofy smile look like a slasher smile. And then more and more Egg Pawn's slasher smiles show up, and then a steady "thump. thump. thump." as they move towards you slowly, but it feels incredibly tense because you're surrounded. And then they say something that sounds totally innocuous in any other circumstance like "Hey there little fella. Are you lost?" or "Come here ya little rascal." but sounds really creepy given the circumstances.

And then fade to black.

I prefer the Eggpawns to be the robots for cute slap stick things. I actually want them to explore that side of them more. Give them more reactions and things Sonic can do to mess with em. 

Think the Bokoblins in Breath of the Wild, like how they can get scared off by bees or get sent tumbling down hills, screaming all the way. I'd like stuff like that.

It'd be really funny if they were tongue in cheek about how they're basically bowling pins in boost gameplay and had some randomly try to run away.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I prefer the Eggpawns to be the robots for cute slap stick things. I actually want them to explore that side of them more. Give them more reactions and things Sonic can do to mess with em. 

Think the Bokoblins in Breath of the Wild, like how they can get scared off by bees or get sent tumbling down hills, screaming all the way. I'd like stuff like that.

It'd be really funny if they were tongue in cheek about how they're basically bowling pins in boost gameplay and had some randomly try to run away.

We can do both really.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

He needs to be an actual threat before he can evolve to threatening.

Well, Forces tried to kinda do that with the whole "tortured Sonic for 6 months" thing, but apparently torture just bored Sonic.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Even if that was real, if whatever torturous stuff they could've showed wasn't related to people crying or watching 2 snails race it would've been bad.

Bad as in...actually negative.

I bet Eggman's idea of torture was making Sonic eat healthy instead of chilidogs and other junk food.

In my opinion, Sonic has actually been tortured, but the torture they mentioned consists in stuff such as the final boss of Sonic 1 (both versions).

Basically, he was put into a small room sealed with barriers and stuff, and Eggman "played" with him, controlling traps from outside the cage. It wouldn't be the first time a similar situation happend in a Sonic game... Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles had similar type of bosses too.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Scary isn't threatening.

I know, hence distinguishing it as another thing.

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He needs to be an actual threat before he can evolve to threatening.

To be fair, he's a pretty threatening from time to time and thus is certainly capable of it.

I just don't put much emphasis on that.

5 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Well, Forces tried to kinda do that with the whole "tortured Sonic for 6 months" thing, but apparently torture just bored Sonic.

That was only in the English version.

Even then, I just assume that might've amounted to Phantom!Zavok being in character.

At this point I don't even know what people mean by Eggman "being a threat".

Did he not capture an entire planet, enslave nearly an entire race, and drain them of their weird energy to power a mind control ray?

Did he not build a machine to control a time-manipulating being, use it to capture and petrify all of Sonic's friends, and rip space and time to shreds?

Did he not invent a machine capable of sucking the life out of the planet and everything on it and use that energy to power his new robot?

Did he not rebuild an edgy furry into a reality-warping threat and use him to capture Sonic and take over nearly the entire planet?

'cause that all sounds plenty threatening enough to me. Does that all get invalidated just because the game tells some jokes, or because Sonic doesn't grit his teeth and shake his fist at him hard enough, or because his plans usually end up backfiring at some point (even though that's been happening since SA)?

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

At this point I don't even know what people mean by Eggman "being a threat".

Did he not capture an entire planet, enslave nearly an entire race, and drain them of their weird energy to power a mind control ray?

Did he not build a machine to control a time-manipulating being, use it to capture and petrify all of Sonic's friends, and rip space and time to shreds?

Did he not invent a machine capable of sucking the life out of the planet and everything on it and use that energy to power his new robot?

Did he not rebuild an edgy furry into a reality-warping threat and use him to capture Sonic and take over nearly the entire planet?

'cause that all sounds plenty threatening enough to me. 

I agree.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Does that all get invalidated just because the game tells some jokes, or because Sonic doesn't grit his teeth and shake his fist at him hard enough, or because his plans usually end up backfiring at some point (even though that's been happening since SA)?

Apparently.