Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I know Sonic himself is a whole issue on his own.

But the Egg-maestro, you'd think with a Sonic like that he'd have  no reason to be taken aback by how much he's hurting him.

They could've even went meta with it.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eggman in Sonic X is probably my favorite Eggman, personality wise. Such an interesting man. 

Worlds Unite wasn't that bad… it was nice seeing all those characters together, I want to re-read it now for some reason, along with Worlds Collide, which was Amazing, maybe I like the second crossover too because it has Sonic Boom and Mega Man X which I love, so yes, elements I liked, plus the SEGA and Campcom franchises were a cool bonus, I just wish there was a better story, most of the issues are wars and fights, and some have cool interactions but there isn't much else actually.

I think there's plenty of room in the Modern games for the Classic exclusive characters.

Something I need to add

I don't care if they stray far from the franchises typical gameplay.  They want to slow down the characters?  Fine.  They want to make a beat em up?  Go right ahead.  They want to make an RPG?  Do as you please (Although imo next time they need to try harder.  Much harder.  This is the 1st time I'll say this, when it comes to the RPGs I believe the fans are much better).

• Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

I don't care if they stray far from the franchises typical gameplay.

I want a Sonic first person shooter. You run around super fast collecting rings as ammo for your guns.

19 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I think there's plenty of room in the Modern games for the Classic exclusive characters.

We already have like, 90% of the cast just standing around and being there for the sake of being there. Let's make sure Sonic Team has the foggiest idea what they're doing with the totally useless characters they have now before adding more.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I want a Sonic first person shooter. You run around super fast collecting rings as ammo for your guns.

https://www.srb2.org/

One of the oldest surviving fan games out there. It's essentially a total overhaul of Doom, and it has exactly that shooting gameplay in tact.

15 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

https://www.srb2.org/

One of the oldest surviving fan games out there. It's essentially a total overhaul of Doom, and it has exactly that shooting gameplay in tact.

I meant an official game. They already had a game where there were firearms, a game where you had to beat the crap out of other characters with your bare hands, and a game where you had to slash everything to pieces with a sword. And just recently a ton of no-name characters in Forces with guns, not to mention the Wisp-gun-whatever-it-was-called weapon. An FPS would just be the logical next step. Or a third person shooter, either is fine.

22 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

Where is this "plenty" of room? I don't see it. Also, I'm not really into having all of the cast show up in every game, for example Forces had a great cast and didn't need Blaze or Cream or Big, we already had too many characters doing nothing (and they didn't showcase their personality either), most notable example is Chaos.

They shouldn't add the classic characters to modern games since there is not enough room for all of them, Team Sonic Racing is a spin-off so a different thing, definitely needed more playable characters since it's a 12 players racing game.

Besides, Mighty and Ray had a lot more than any modern characters recently between Mania Plus and Mania Adventures.

5 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

We already have like, 90% of the cast just standing around and being there for the sake of being there. Let's make sure Sonic Team has the foggiest idea what they're doing with the totally useless characters they have now before adding more.

Whatever, as long as Modern Fang gets to be a thing.

2 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Where is this "plenty" of room? I don't see it. Also, I'm not really into having all of the cast show up in every game, for example Forces had a great cast and didn't need Blaze or Cream or Big, we already had too many characters doing nothing (and they didn't showcase their personality either), most notable example is Chaos.

They shouldn't add the classic characters to modern games since there is not enough room for all of them, Team Sonic Racing is a spin-off so a different thing, definitely needed more playable characters since it's a 12 players racing game.

Besides, Mighty and Ray had a lot more than any modern characters recently between Mania Plus and Mania Adventures.

You seem to think I want every character at once, but in reality I support rotating the cast.

On March 27, 2019 at 7:34 PM, E-122-Psi said:

My issue with him in Sonic X is that, even when he overpowered Sonic like in that scene, he never really seemed to faze him. Sonic was practically a cardboard shonen, he couldn't be broken and you couldn't really get new emotions from him. Despite Eggman's personality being reasonably well handled in X (the Japanese edit at least) this severely castrated his abilities as an antagonist, Sonic stonewalled everything he done. The capsule scene from the SA2 adaption has even grimmer than in the games version for example, but unlike the latter, where Sonic is genuinely taken aback and seems resigned to his fate for a moment, only using the fake emerald as a desperate last resort, X Sonic is sitting there smugly, knowing exactly how he's going to easily escape the trap. It completely obliterates all the credibility of that scene for Eggman.

I can put even modern or Boom Eggman over X Eggman because of that, he is pit against a more fallible and emotive Sonic he is allowed to faze and overcome and just give the moderate insinuation he stands a chance of outdoing him. Some instances are almost two way childish in terms of oneuppsmanship, which is a kind of amusing rivalry.

I know Sega/ST want for Sonic to be heroic and portrayed as best as possible, but I think they went a bit far with how Sonic was idealized in X by being basically unbeatable save for a few instances. It didn't help either that his support cast had to be the ones who would carry most of the story since often not Sonic would just be napping all day long and would only show-up to fight the robot of the day.

Compared to that, I enjoyed more how Sonic was handled in Boom due to things being more balanced... even his friends beat him from time to time in various activities, showinga different side of Sonic that feels more humane such as being a sore loser when Amy and Sticks beat him to the goal, or being teased by Knuckles after losing in some videogame. Then there's how Eggman at times feels like he can actually win and can play the character's weaknesses to his favor.

Anyway, time for an unpopular opinion: I think Maekawa is a bit overrated and Sonic's portrayal in Black Knight, while consider one of the best characterizations by many, felt to me a bit too idealized as well as how the story and characters kind of suck up to Sonic to make him look good.

Sonic being idealized isn't the most interesting take but I've come to appreciate parts of it. He is literally an embodiment of a series of ideals and a character others look up up. That was how he was framed from the very beginning. I don't mind a hero that's just a good guy even if I'm drawn toward more well rounded characters by default. I'd like Sonic to have a bit of edge and snark to him but I don't want them to lean too hard into the meanspirited sarcastic thing since I found most of the characters in Boom kind of insufferable, lol. 

• Nice Smile 1

Bal-ance is THE key!

This applies to the characters, who have different sides of the personalities and emotional ranges.

This applies to the stories, which can have ups, downs, and all-rounds.

This applies to the tone, which can be enjoyable & lighthearted at some points and dramatic&tense at others.

And this applies to the series at large, which can fun times, dark themes, acrobatic movement, and pure speed depending on the entry and/or stage.

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Bal-ance is THE key!

This applies to the characters, who have different sides of the personalities and emotional ranges.

This applies to the stories, which can have ups, downs, and all-rounds.

This applies to the tone, which can be enjoyable & lighthearted at some points and dramatic&tense at others.

And this applies to the series at large, which can fun times, dark themes, acrobatic movement, and pure speed depending on the entry and/or stage.

Pretty much, I guess the problem is the happy medium has been hard for the franchise to get at times, especially for Sonic, whose character is a bit too easy to totter into one obnoxious extreme.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Characterization varies so damn wildly across this franchise, that everyone has their own preferences on what the characters should be like.

The series will almost never have the idealized versions of the characters that we want, so I feel it's better to dissect them for what they are.

X!Sonic is perfectly serviceable, especially since he is meant to be seen through the eyes of Chris, of course he's going to be idealized. 

I know we live in age where "flawed" characters are all the rage, but there's some magic in having unambiguously good characters. I feel Sonic works there because he's not the primary focus like he is in most of the series, and it makes his presence more special for it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I don't think that really helps since Chris is a pretty terrible character to begin with who no person can possibly relate to.

Also, I disagree with the comment of "flawed characters being all the rage" as if it was some kind of fad. At least I personally can say that an idealized character is something that can never grab my interest since, how can I become invested in something that breaks my suspense of disbelief and feels more like a force of nature than a credible character I can come to care about?

Personally, I find characters who can display all those pesky things - both good and bad - that makes us humane to be the most interesting ones. I do think Sonic can too, and ironically, him being beaten can win the audience's empathy and care for what happens next, wether it's him reacting to the fate of Amy and Knuckles in SLW or losing a race in Sonic Boom vs a character that embodies all those cringy stereotypes of the 90's, something that wouldn't exist if Sonic was this idealized hero who always win, or is not affected by the events around him in any way that might break said image.

Being an idealized hero has no effect on how much Sonic struggles...since...it's purely a personality thing.

5 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I don't think that really helps since Chris is a pretty terrible character to begin with who no person can possibly relate to.

Also, I disagree with the comment of "flawed characters being all the rage" as if it was some kind of fad. At least I personally can say that an idealized character is something that can never grab my interest since, how can I become invested in something that breaks my suspense of disbelief and feels more like a force of nature than a credible character I can come to care about?

Personally, I find characters who can display all those pesky things - both good and bad - that makes us humane to be the most interesting ones. I do think Sonic can too, and ironically, him being beaten can win the audience's empathy and care for what happens next, wether it's him reacting to the fate of Amy and Knuckles in SLW or losing a race in Sonic Boom vs a character that embodies all those cringy stereotypes of the 90's, something that wouldn't exist if Sonic was this idealized hero who always win, or is not affected by the events around him in any way that might break said image.

Chris being terrible is irrelevant, my point is that Sonic is primarily from his eyes and what kind of 12 year old kid would not see Sonic as some idealized image.

It is kind of a fad, because it wasn't really that prevalent in media until recently; its not really about relating to idealized characters, but what they represent. They're an ideal.Something that while may be impossible, is still something to strive for because of what it represents. I mean, what type of person would not see someone being the best they can absolutely be and not try to achieve the same, no matter how unlikely? This is why I made the point on how Sonic isn't even the primary viewpoint character in X, because he represents an ideal that everyone is trying to meet. And even he's not portrayed as perfect like the episode when he's trapped on a cruise ship.

And Sonic being beaten or not has nothing to do with his personality; he's been beaten in X many times and it never really affected him much either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I know we live in age where "flawed" characters are all the rage, but there's some magic in having unambiguously good characters. I feel Sonic works there because he's not the primary focus like he is in most of the series, and it makes his presence more special for it.

Flawed doesn't mean bad, flawed means that they can fuck up. And when sonic was that ( Sonic Boom ) he was the most interesting the character had been in years.

This is just my opinion , you don't have to subscribe to it. But take ideal sonic, literally throw him in the actual garbage. Give me a sonic who messes up and is kind of an akward teen sometimes, that shit is interesting. We are as a society in many ways long past the age of needing are characters to be cool and strong all the time, and they can show vulnerabilities and shit. I like that sonic needs to evolve

Sonic doesn't need to be a bastion of vices and serious issues, he just needs to have some level of idiosyncrasies, something to make him fallible and quirky. The problem is that too many interpretations lean into one extreme too much, either making an embodiment of perfection or just someone who far too odiously THINKS he is. Probably the chief problem is that Sonic either way is inherently smug and complacent, smugness is something that's way too easy to make an unlikeable characteristic, especially if the character either doesn't get knocked down a peg enough for it or doesn't learn from getting such.

Sonic X was still kind of a smarmy douche for example just he could dominate any situation to excuse getting away with it, while cases like Satam and Archie Sonic try making it a more fallible characteristic, but he still always reverts back to showing off, which within the more serious consequences that can happen over it, actually makes him seem kind of uncaring. Fleetway didn't really even try hiding it and just made him intentionally a self indulgent swine to everyone, though I suppose it was at least intentional writing. Modern games/Boom/AoSth were perhaps the nearest to getting the loveable part of the 'lovable jerk' characteristic down pat, even if there were still some uneasy moments.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Think: Is it really an ideal heroic trait to be emotionally closed off to even your best friend that you can't even console him?

8 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Think: Is it really an ideal heroic trait to be emotionally closed off to even your best friend that you can't even console him?

The point is that X never undermines that fact. He is almost never treated as wrong or having to acknowledge this. Compare to say, continuations with Sally where his ethics are treated as wrong a large amount of the time to make another character look more important. The modern continuations are if anything the nearest to a happy balance right now.