Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Sonic Adventure is one of the best games in the series. We need another game like it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been watching a lot of AoStH recently, and got me to realize that I actually like Tails as a character for once!

latest?cb=20170628015632

Don't get me wrong I understand his importance in the franchise's history and all, but something about him in the post Adventure games (as well as most of Sonic X) just never clicked with me. I think that mostly has to do with the "kid-genius" trope that's really all modern Tails is about anymore. With AoStH (and SatAM for that matter) Tails is an eager, good-hearted kid who genuinely wants to be like his hero and do good for others; not gloat about "building a dishwasher with toothpicks" or whatever he said in Lost World. Also his AoStH voice is nothing short of adorable!

But yeah, AoStH of all things reminded me that I could warm-up to a long-time character lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

It made more sense when Tails was just a tinker-er.

Not a genius, just really good with mechanics.

Oh nevermind, whenever the writers remember, he still is just an eager kid hero who only happens to be smart with machines.

• Thumbs Up 3

Brought up in the Ken Penders thread, with some fans saying they think Sonic is gay or some thinking he is asexual. It's interesting, because I was thinking, I think Sonic needs to be straight - or bi-sexual - because I think his dynamic with Amy falls apart otherwise. To me, Amy's unrequited love of Sonic can only work if Sonic is very unlikely to reciprocate her feelings, not impossible for Sonic to reciprocate. I guess it is a joke that Sonic's lack of interest in Amy is because he is gay, but I guess to me in actual canon, I just think if it did turn out Sonic was asexual or gay, the whole Amy relationship just winds up being uncomfortable.

Mind you, not to say I'm a big fan of Amy, or actually "ship" them, but in context of the Sonic series, that's how I feel about it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The next game should just be whatever it needs to be in order to be it's own, quality product and addition to the Sonic Series.

Accordingly, Forces should just be "Two World-ed" into being an alternate timeline.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:45 AM, Iko said:

Opinion: If they want to continue with this team gimmick, they should definitely find a way to include everyone from the recurring cast.

- I think that Team Rose should get a new third member who's not a chao/omochao. I think they should group her with some character that actually makes sense, it shouldn't be a meme team. If none of the existing characters fit the role, just introduce someone new, or even put the default avatar from Forces into her team, with a wispon 

Fair point. Amy should probably have team that correlates with her thematically, with gender being a fairly important point for consideration.

With that said

-  If none of the existing characters fit the role (not even Cream, I think she works better as her own thing than paired with Amy), j

- I think they should bring Gmerl/Gemerl back and find a third member for a team of Cream-Gmerl. I'm not reading the IDW comics, but I looked at that artwork where they fight side to side and I think it it's cool and it can work in mainline games too... (it would also make sense considering the Gizoid's role in Sonic Battle/Advance 3). I think that the badass look of Gmerl balances the cutesy of Cream very well, and the other way as well. As always, I have no idea of who could be a third member for this team, but it's possible that none of the existing characters fit, so maybe introduce someone new here too. - Power type missing, or speed depending on if they consider Gmerl a power or a speed type.

If the last two teams can't work, just make Silver a power type (he can lift cars and trucks!) and put Cream in Blaze-Silver's team instead (there is at least some relation between Cream and Blaze due to Sonic Rush's story), but it would be a missed opportunity to not bring Gmerl back, at least IMO.

I'm inclined to agree with this as a smart move going forward.

Not that I'm saying Amy and Cream can't have a friendship of their own because they should, but quite frankly, Cream needs to just break away at that point and stop only being treated like Amy's sidekick as far as the character handling is concerned. For one reason or another, they didn't really do that much to establish their relationship in the games, much less build on it. She has more of a connection with Blaze, Big, and even Sonic himself in fact, for better or worse. Not only that, but what vestiges of their friendship actually lingered seems to hover around a mythology gag-like status and mostly emphasizes Amy's more coquettish moments & Cream's habit of inadvertently point out the flaws, for some reason. Which is cute & sometimes funny, respectively, but it's not much else.

And as some have been pointing out for a little while, Cream ended up looking like she was something of a main character in her own right despite her original conception as young friend for Amy. She showed up as a distinct character in a large number of games partly due to how easy it is to use her and kinda like Elias in preboot Archie, she's kind of a supporting character that ended up having her own supporting cast. Yet she seemed to spend nearly half of her appearances simply being connected to Amy. So I do think it's about time to branch her off so they can take better advantage of her character, which while not flat, is still somewhat fairly underdeveloped.

In addition, it'd be great to have Gemerl back as well. Heck, maybe we can get some backstory on Vanilla and even Chocola while we're at it.

- I think they should definitely find a third member for a Blaze-Silver team. Vector makes no sense, he is already the most iconic character of Team Chaotix, and Team Chaotix better to stay as it has always been. - Power type missing

If the last two teams can't work, just make Silver a power type (he can lift cars and trucks!) and put Cream in Blaze-Silver's team instead (there is at least some relation between Cream and Blaze due to Sonic Rush's story), but it would be a missed opportunity to not bring Gmerl back, at least IMO.

True.

Power-type characters are relatively low in number in part because of how surprising narrow that category can be in terms of variability as well as reason. It more or less exists because of Knuckles conceptual ability to break through walls as he runs and by extension, the bar is set pretty expertly by him. Notice how most other power types end up being pretty large and/or robotic and even things like the Archie comics make a point of justifying it's similarly strong characters.

Another key factor is how the series inherently emphasizes speed and occasionally skill in it's gameplay. This requires most characters to be pretty fast, agile, and/or smart and clever in order to really get by as effective.  Characters who are noted for their raw strength, on the other hand, are rarer because being strong seldom has a place in the series. 

The few exceptions and/or compromises to that are inherently weird as a result. Mighty, Amy, Blaze(in Runners, for whatever reason), Silver(debatable), and sometimes Shadow have each been portrayed as unusually lean bruisers/powerhouses at points, but are all logically weird cases.

On a side note, do you remember when Sega made a poll on Twitter asking for our favorite feature in Sonic games? There were some random features such as time attack, but the bigger competition was between Chao Garden and the Avatar (with the Chao Garden winning by far).

I'm convinced that they made that poll to decide what character to put in Team Rose in TSR, Chao Garden won the poll so they put the chao in a car, but I think they cosidered the Avatar too.

I think the avatar would fit very well in Team Rose because Amy played a big role in the resistence and the Avatar got all the spotlight in the game, so there is a connection somehow. I don't really know what to think of Big the Cat honestly (Without Cream the Totoro reference is gone, and he looks out of place IMO), but if you remove him from Team Rose, where would you put him then? Maybe in team with a modern version of Mighty and Ray? (but Mighty is already a power type and Big is definitely not fast).

Eeeeeh...idk.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

*takes a deep breath*

Amy deserves people who actually like her to write her. When she's written well, you can tell. I love when she's an independent tactician (Forces, IDW, Boom) who admires Sonic's freedom and embraces it as the reason she loves him (IDW), cares more gaining independence than leaning on Sonic (Adventure), whose strength is her heart and how much she cares for others (Adventure 2). But for whatever reason, every modern writer wants to write her like she's a one note psychotic, selfish fangirl (Generations, 06, Colors, Heroes) and it's clear why: the people who are writing her don't like her. If you don't like Sonic characters, maybe don't write them? This is why I appreciate the IDW comics for getting Amy's character RIGHT like the games refuse to... well, Forces was in the right direction, but sadly she didn't get much time to shine. 

She isn't a bad character and has had some fantastic moments in the past, and it devastates me whenever writers want to throw it away. The Mania shorts showed why Amy is a fantastic character with zero dialogue. She is absolutely capable of being written well and has been. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, prettyinplague said:

(Generations, 06, Colors, Heroes)

Well, one of these is inaccurate. (But the catch is...there are 2 correct answers)

14 minutes ago, prettyinplague said:

But for whatever reason, every modern writer wants to write her like she's a one note psychotic, selfish fangirl...

"Modern" is also inaccurate...it's been 10 years since she's even been close to that.

Liking the character vs. Knowing what to do with the character

Saying certain writers dislike the character is wrong. Liking a character doesn't automatically make someone better at writing them.

She's typically not important, so they amp up her crush for the comedy...smartness.

2 hours ago, Heckboy said:

SA2's story is not good.

SA2 in general is not good.

Can't tell anymore whether that's a popular or unpopular opinion these days.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, prettyinplague said:

*takes a deep breath*

Amy deserves people who actually like her to write her. When she's written well, you can tell. I love when she's an independent tactician (Forces, IDW, Boom) who admires Sonic's freedom and embraces it as the reason she loves him (IDW), cares more gaining independence than leaning on Sonic (Adventure), whose strength is her heart and how much she cares for others (Adventure 2). But for whatever reason, every modern writer wants to write her like she's a one note psychotic, selfish fangirl (Generations, 06, Colors, Heroes) and it's clear why: the people who are writing her don't like her. If you don't like Sonic characters, maybe don't write them? This is why I appreciate the IDW comics for getting Amy's character RIGHT like the games refuse to... well, Forces was in the right direction, but sadly she didn't get much time to shine. 

She isn't a bad character and has had some fantastic moments in the past, and it devastates me whenever writers want to throw it away. The Mania shorts showed why Amy is a fantastic character with zero dialogue. She is absolutely capable of being written well and has been. 

You like the random tech support and shadow dictator/leader stuff? 

Also, she's one of the characters 06 got right, all things considered.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Both. Very few people are neutral about Sonic Adventure 2.

But here's a fun fact. If you physically smack a copy of SA2, it shouts, "I'm the coolest!"

27 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

But here's a fun fact. If you physically smack a copy of SA2, it shouts, "I'm the coolest!"

Thank god it doesn't say "YU GATTIS, SAWNIK!"

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

You like the random tech support and shadow dictator/leader stuff? 

Also, she's one of the characters 06 got right, all things considered.

I absolutely love it. I feel like it's character growth for her and she deserves a bigger role in the group. 

I found her one note in 06. If there's one moment I'll appreciate is her getting along with Elise and comforting Elise even after kissing Sonic. There are moments in the Archie comics like this too where she says she prefers Sonic's happiness even if he's with Sally. Although, again, that did depend on who's writing. 

1 hour ago, prettyinplague said:

I absolutely love it. I feel like it's character growth for her and she deserves a bigger role in the group. 

Errr, if you say so? (I mean that for that former rather than the latter, btw.)

I found her one note in 06. If there's one moment I'll appreciate is her getting along with Elise and comforting Elise even after kissing Sonic. 

That's most of what I'm thinking of.

i agree on the amy thing though my favorite version of amy is right before reboot amy. That amy was really cool, could tell you about yourself and was the amy that I feel like could just not like sonic and function fine as a character.

Unpopular amy opinion : I think amy would be better if they just got rid of the sonic crush thing entirely

• Fist Bump 1

unpopular opinions

the spin dash doesn't belong in sonic 1. neither do other playable characters

the only real slow zones in sonic 1 are labyrinth (my least favourite) and the third act of scrap brain

it's pointless and stereotypical to have sonic in a car

This may be a bit presumpting...but I don't think you used the word stereotypical correctly.

Sonic + Car = Flawed Representation

Hmmm....

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Tarnish said:

It used to be fairly popular, now it seems fairly unpopular because the kids that grew up playing it are nostalgic adults. 

I will admit there's a certain campy charm to it, but the story is basically an incoherent b-movie. Gameplay is a downgrade in every way from SA1. I'd legit argue that the mech levels are some of the worst shit in the series. I can get why people are fond of it, but I really don't understand why so many of its fans seem to think that people just started hating on it blindly in recent years because of ProJared.

54 minutes ago, sonic 1-derful said:

unpopular opinions

the spin dash doesn't belong in sonic 1. neither do other playable characters

That's why it's Sonic 1, Knoxville. 

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

This may be a bit presumpting...but I don't think you used the word stereotypical correctly.

Sonic + Car = Flawed Representation

Hmmm....

it's stereotypical in the sense that most platforming mascots have games where they race around in cars. ex Mario, crash, donkey kong etc..

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

That's why it's Sonic 1, Knoxville. 

I don't understand this comment..

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

Gameplay is a downgrade in every way from SA1.

In every way...well that's not right.

Aside from the somersault existing, Sonic controls much better in SA2B.

I wouldn't call SA1 loose, but something about Sonic in that game just craves careening into walls when in small corridors...which doesn't happen in SA2B.

Other than that, they're pretty much the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Heckboy said:

I will admit there's a certain campy charm to it, but the story is basically an incoherent b-movie.

This is purely personal preference, but I'll take a b-movie any day over a lame comedy film (i.e., Sonic games in the last decade.)

7 hours ago, Heckboy said:

Gameplay is a downgrade in every way from SA1.

It's more like a mixed bag. There are things they improved, then there are things they made worse.
Improvements:
+ Addition of grinding was great, best grinding mechanic we ever got before they slowly turned it into a pointless, automatic conveyor belt mechanic.
+ Bounce attack as a move was a cool addition, just wish they did a bit more with it.
+ The fact you don't have to charge the 'light speed dash' anymore was a welcome change.
+ The fact you don't have to press A+B/A+X with Knuckles/Rouge to dig into walls and ground was good.
Things they made worse:
- The fact can't just start rolling in a ball anymore was stupid.
- The fact you have to hold down B/X for a period of time to start the spindash instead of instantly starting it was stupid.
- I find the whole somersault/sliding thing dumb and pointless.

• Thumbs Up 1