Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Considering he's been around since the start doesn't that mean it wasn't actually supposed to be an exclusively furry/anthro setting?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it even matter what it was 'supposed' to be? Sonic 1 has loads of dubious ideas in its development stage, such as Sonic's fangs, being in a band and having a human girlfriend. 

It's better to think in terms of what was in Sonic 1 that worked, and it worked really well having Sonic fighting a human to reclaim the environment from greedy corporate industrialisation. The whole nature vs industry argument has become cliche in Sonic fandom, but the first game clearly set it up in a heavy handed manner, and it works surprisingly well.

It's not "that" heavy handed, if people didn't keep bringing it up...I doubt many other people would even naturally come to that conclusion their first time playing.

I don't know if I already said this, but I hate how similar the characters in the Classics are along with how every Classic gsme feels like the same damn thing.  The reason I love Unleashed HD is because the Werehog plays nothing like Sonic at all so it gives me a unique experience for this franchise.  The reason I love Rise of Lyric is because the gameplay is not even close to the traditional fameplay of the franchise.  If every game feels the same, why should I bother playing all when even only one will show me what the others will be like.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I'd rather play Sonic 06.  I may hate that game unlike the Classics which I just find below average, but at least the characters play differently from each other and with a sprinkle of polish they could be awesome to play as.  I've been watching videos of a PC remake called P-06 and despite it not even being finished (The only levels are Sonic's Wave Ocean and Kingdom Valley) all 3 characters playable look like a major improvement in my eyes.

You can cancel out of the Spindash, you can even spam it like SA1, the meter limits your use of the gems, the Lightning Shield actually does its job and protects you, the Tornado from the Green Gem has a lot of range, you can stop in Mach Speed sections, you can control your air movement as well, THEY EVEN PUT THE RAINBOW GEM IN!!

Tails has a meter for his flight duration, you have more control when flying, he has a reticle for his ring bombs, he even has his SA1 tail attack.

Silver becomes the god he should have been.  He's faster, his lock on looks improved, his Psycho Shock has more range, Teleport Dash sends you much further, he can hover while carrying objects, SND HE HAS A PSYCHIC BLAST!!

What I'm trying to say is I'm just sick and tired of the characters in the Classics being so similar to Sonic.  It doesn't help that in some cases (cough Knuckles cough) the differences they do have are a hinderance.  There's this one boss in Mania that switches gravity,  and my god you have to pray to Arceus that rng will be on your side if you're Knuckles since even in his Super form he can't jump high enough to reach it.  I swear, I thought I was going to time over during that fight.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Considering he's been around since the start doesn't that mean it wasn't actually supposed to be an exclusively furry/anthro setting?

It's clearly supposed to be one now. Eggman's the only human we've seen for at least a decade. Sega might as well retcon his species so he'll fit in better.

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

It's clearly supposed to be one now. Eggman's the only human we've seen for at least a decade. Sega might as well retcon his species so he'll fit in better.

Have you not been paying attention to the 2 world non-sense that people keep unnecessarily mentioning?

It's not suppose to be anything, it's either a human world or an anthro-world.

They "could" keep him the same as he was originally made and not acknowledge anything about the worlds like they've been doing, that'd be the logical thing to do.

In Sonic Adventure 3, we'll see a new section of Angel Island. It's a city populated by modern-day humans and based on New Orleans, Louisiana.

Totally one world, guys.

The two world retcon is so nauseating.  None of the Yuji Naka era games were made with that idea in mind, and when Sonic X came up with it (after tossing out a different concept in the prototype animation where the action took place on an anthropomorphic animal inhabited world) it created an ocean of gaping plot holes.

But nah, it was always that way, says Iizuka and Flynn. "We've always been at war with Eastasia".

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it is more of a cultural thing if anything as it seems like both Sega of America and Sega of Japan have different ideas on what their customers in both countries and abroad.  

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

They "could" keep him the same as he was originally made and not acknowledge anything about the worlds like they've been doing, that'd be the logical thing to do.

Nah, the logical thing to do would be to have humans be just another species on Sonic's world and do away with any form of separation altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, BaronGrackle said:

Mario was also originally two worlds--the Brooklyn plumbers who went to the Mushroom Kingdom. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

There was no 2 worlds...

He's from the Brooklyn Kingdom...renamed Metro Kingdom.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There was no 2 worlds...

He's from the Brooklyn Kingdom...renamed Metro Kingdom.

If he's from Metro...why doesn't he look like everyone else there, then?

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

If he's from Metro...why doesn't he look like everyone else there, then?

Why doesn't Pauline look like everyone else...?

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why doesn't Pauline look like everyone else...?

Well yeah...she's a Mario type human. Like these guys.

Spoiler

Kiddo.gifJoe_MGolf.pngGeneyuss1.jpgTinyGBC.jpgGraceGBC.pngPutts.jpgAzalea_MG_GBC_artwork.pngSherrySh.pngPlum.jpg

Better question I guess should be why do those realistic ass humans exist?

23 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Mario was also originally two worlds--the Brooklyn plumbers who went to the Mushroom Kingdom. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

That was retconned way back with the release of Yoshi's Island. 

20 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

That was retconned way back with the release of Yoshi's Island. 

The stork carrying baby Mario was intercepted! :)

I'd like Silver a lot more if he was retconned into being from Blaze's dimension and they just knew each other from there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Silver being from the future is fine with me and so is him having some kind of relationship with Blaze, but the way their relationship is portrayed in the games doesn't work for me on any level. They've acknowledge that it doesn't work narratively but just pair them together arbitrary anyway with a dynamic that requires changing Blaze's personality to work imo.

Blaze as she was portrayed in the Rush games was one of my favorite characters and I haven't cared for her as much as I used to as this dynamic takes precedence in canon and in fanon.

On the flip side Silver has grown on me quite a bit over the past few years as both the games and the comics focus in on his endearing character traits and leave most of the bs behind. I don't really need Blaze to hang under him. It'd be fun to pair him with other characters.

21 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Have you not been paying attention to the 2 world non-sense that people keep unnecessarily mentioning?

I try to ignore it. I never cared for humans (Eggman included) in the Sonic series anyway.

4 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

I'd like Silver a lot more if he was retconned into being from Blaze's dimension and they just knew each other from there. 

I agree. Going further, he should be Blaze's bodyguard!

I'd personally hate the idea of Silver not being from the future and losing his distinctiveness.  If he were from Blaze's world he'd just be a another satellite character like Marine.

5 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I try to ignore it. I never cared for humans (Eggman included) in the Sonic series anyway.

That's pretty easy to do when they aren't actually in the story...

They just exist to fill up space on the screen.

2 hours ago, Ivo-goji said:

I'd personally hate the idea of Silver not being from the future and losing his distinctiveness.  If he were from Blaze's world he'd just be a another satellite character like Marine.

Not really. Being from the future doesn't really add anything for Silver other than make his partnership with Blaze feel awkward and contrived. And unlike Marine, Silver is relatively popular and is a capable friend and fighter so he'd be just fine.

I like the idea of Blaze and Silver just kinda finding each other and becoming fast friends due to their fighting styles, like Colors DS hinted at.

• Thumbs Up 1