Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

3 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

You know, I never noticed that fist bump between them all those years ago.

It's ringing a bell, but I didn't really think about it either.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/23/2019 at 8:44 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

The similarities between Zero and Shadow are honestly almost enough to get me to invest in the Megaman X and Megaman Zero branches of the Megaman franchise just to see how deep the similarities go.

As a fan of both Zero and Shadow, I can summarize it by saying they’re basically mirrors of each other with their own quirks.

A powerful sentient weapon that can bring the world to ruin, as intended by a mad scientist creator long deceased? Check.

Fights the main hero over the fate the world? Check.

Sacrifices their life for a cause, then later comes back to life to keep the good fight? Check.

Stars their own game (series for Zero) And has an amnesia sub-plot? Check.

Main difference (aside from one being a robot and the other a genetic experiment) is that Zero starts off as a hero while Shadow starts as a villain. Oh, and Zero dies and comes back a total of three times compared to Shadow’s one.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

As a fan of both Zero and Shadow, I can summarize it by saying they’re basically mirrors of each other with their own quirks.

A powerful sentient weapon that can bring the world to ruin, as intended by a mad scientist creator long deceased? Check.

Fights the main hero over the fate the world? Check.

Sacrifices their life for a cause, then later comes back to life to keep the good fight? Check.

Stars their own game (series for Zero) And has an amnesia sub-plot? Check.

Main difference (aside from one being a robot and the other a genetic experiment) is that Zero starts off as a hero while Shadow starts as a villain. Oh, and Zero dies and comes back a total of three times compared to Shadow’s one.

Technically speaking, Zero WAS a villain...before the Sigma virus left him .

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Technically speaking, Zero WAS a villain...before the Sigma virus left him .

He certainly wasn’t conscious of it until X5, not that it counts against him.

• 2 weeks later...

Have two opinions today, though only one is likely unpopular (and extremely nitpicky) while the other could swing either way.

Starting with the less clear where it falls opinion, I honestly find IDW Eggman at this point to be a bumbling incompetent compared to OVA Eggman. It mostly boils down to how the both of them handled their end the world plots and the oversights that brought their plans to ruin.

In the case of IDW Eggman his oversight was in addressing his relationship to the Metal Virus in general. He did not program in an immunity for himself despite knowing that he was as susceptible as any other organic organism, he knew that it had the properties of a virus and would mutate beyond his control yet still did not put any safeguards in place, and when he finally had to square off against Sonic he nearly ended up infected if not for Starline, who has already set in motion a plan to undermine Eggman and bring in a threat that a single mistake will strip them of any ability to fight back. It really does not look good at all for IDW Eggman being a controlling threat compared to just a circumstantial threat. OVA Eggman on the other hand...

While OVA Eggman's reasons for his end the world ploy are more than a little daft to say the least, his efficiency and ability to be a head on threat whose goofy nature obscures his danger makes him a very different type of threat from his modern IDW counterpart. Where IdW Eggman simply sat back and let his creation do the work for him, OVA Eggman was constantly engaged and never relented in his attempts to be rid of Sonic or his companions. Held the President hostage just to lure Sonic into a trap which if it failed was a setup to lead him into a further series of traps with each one being more extreme than the last. Just getting to Eggmanland, Black Eggman (a mech piloted by Eggman himself where he nearly offed Sonic and Tails if not for the timely arrival of Knuckles), his main base and all of the traps in it, the "bomb" which with the way Eggman was handling things could have very well been legit, and then Metal Sonic himself who was unleashed when the bomb was successfully stopped with Metal Sonic winning once and only losing et hsecond time becuase of OVA Eggman's one oversight; Tails' tinkering ability being good enough to hack the tracker and Metal Sonic both. This oversight makes sense though as Eggman is extremely proud in his engineering genius and would never in his hubris believe that an eight-year-old could hack his stuff. Even then though he did not consider Tails insignificant and still shot the Tornado out of the sky with ease taking the fox all but out of the fight. His defeat was not becasue he made a grand series of mistakes that he promptly ignored despite knowing them, but rather because the heroes stepped up when they needed to step up to overcome Eggman and the full threat he represented. at no point were they simply dealing with and just cleaning up careless mess, but instead were actively engaged with Eggman who constantly had them on the ropes not by accident or coincidence, but because he was good enough to push them against the ropes. And he did all of this while being a total buffoon who took the time to play games with his hostages so they wouldn't throw a temper tantrum. this is startk contrast to IDW Eggman who is just exhaling evil as much as he can and managing to somehow trip himself over his own breath. As a result, I find IDW Eggman a bumbling incompetent compared to his OVA counterpart. Perhaps though it is just the difference as well between when Naka was in charge back when the OVA was made and how Iizuka handles the franchise today. I couldn't say but in my opinion OVA Eggman >>>>>>>>>> IDW Eggman.

-----

Moving onto my nitpick and likely unpopular opinion, I don't like Amy's top speed expression in @E-122-Psi's Amy hacks or the Amy hack for Mania (if that isn't also being done by @E-122-Psi). I know that typically when eth characters get to top speed that they traditional furrow their brows with the effort, but the expression just looks wrong on Amy to me for some reason. It probably has to do with my interpretation of her character and feeling that wide-eyed excitement when she reaches those speeds would look batter. Regardless, a nitpick, and I hope you don't take any offense from my opinion on the matter @E-122-Psi.

Probably popular, the Sonic fanbase has been 10X better throughout all these years than the Pokemon fanbase has throughout the past 6 months. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Have two opinions today, though only one is likely unpopular (and extremely nitpicky) while the other could swing either way.

Starting with the less clear where it falls opinion, I honestly find IDW Eggman at this point to be a bumbling incompetent compared to OVA Eggman. It mostly boils down to how the both of them handled their end the world plots and the oversights that brought their plans to ruin.

In the case of IDW Eggman his oversight was in addressing his relationship to the Metal Virus in general. He did not program in an immunity for himself despite knowing that he was as susceptible as any other organic organism, he knew that it had the properties of a virus and would mutate beyond his control yet still did not put any safeguards in place, and when he finally had to square off against Sonic he nearly ended up infected if not for Starline, who has already set in motion a plan to undermine Eggman and bring in a threat that a single mistake will strip them of any ability to fight back. It really does not look good at all for IDW Eggman being a controlling threat compared to just a circumstantial threat. OVA Eggman on the other hand...

While OVA Eggman's reasons for his end the world ploy are more than a little daft to say the least, his efficiency and ability to be a head on threat whose goofy nature obscures his danger makes him a very different type of threat from his modern IDW counterpart. Where IdW Eggman simply sat back and let his creation do the work for him, OVA Eggman was constantly engaged and never relented in his attempts to be rid of Sonic or his companions. Held the President hostage just to lure Sonic into a trap which if it failed was a setup to lead him into a further series of traps with each one being more extreme than the last. Just getting to Eggmanland, Black Eggman (a mech piloted by Eggman himself where he nearly offed Sonic and Tails if not for the timely arrival of Knuckles), his main base and all of the traps in it, the "bomb" which with the way Eggman was handling things could have very well been legit, and then Metal Sonic himself who was unleashed when the bomb was successfully stopped with Metal Sonic winning once and only losing et hsecond time becuase of OVA Eggman's one oversight; Tails' tinkering ability being good enough to hack the tracker and Metal Sonic both. This oversight makes sense though as Eggman is extremely proud in his engineering genius and would never in his hubris believe that an eight-year-old could hack his stuff. Even then though he did not consider Tails insignificant and still shot the Tornado out of the sky with ease taking the fox all but out of the fight. His defeat was not becasue he made a grand series of mistakes that he promptly ignored despite knowing them, but rather because the heroes stepped up when they needed to step up to overcome Eggman and the full threat he represented. at no point were they simply dealing with and just cleaning up careless mess, but instead were actively engaged with Eggman who constantly had them on the ropes not by accident or coincidence, but because he was good enough to push them against the ropes. And he did all of this while being a total buffoon who took the time to play games with his hostages so they wouldn't throw a temper tantrum. this is startk contrast to IDW Eggman who is just exhaling evil as much as he can and managing to somehow trip himself over his own breath. As a result, I find IDW Eggman a bumbling incompetent compared to his OVA counterpart. Perhaps though it is just the difference as well between when Naka was in charge back when the OVA was made and how Iizuka handles the franchise today. I couldn't say but in my opinion OVA Eggman >>>>>>>>>> IDW Eggman.

I feel its because a difference in the focus; Eggman is the primary threat on the OVA, even when Metal Sonic takes the scene, so he has to be competent to give the heroes a good fight. 

The primary threat of the Metal Virus arc is the virus itself. And unlike in the OVA, Eggman is sharing the villain spotlight with newcomer Starlene, and one of the main components of that arc is showing how he is quickly growing disillusioned with Eggman as his flaws become more apparent; Eggman kinda has to be a bit more incompetent to justify that dynamic otherwise it just falls apart.

I don't think Idw IDW Eggman is bad; it just highlights a part of him that doesn't usually get showcased, while he's a rather straightforward villain in the OVA.

• Way Past Cool 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, Miles Storzillo said:

Probably popular, the Sonic fanbase has been 10X better throughout all these years than the Pokemon fanbase has throughout the past 6 months. 

Yes, totallly agree, but it just happened that there's a new Pokémon game called "-Sword and Shield" and the toxic comments that have appeared just annoy me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Iunno how unpopular it is, but Knuckles' spikes should be part of his hands and not his gloves. It'd just be weird that every other character can fight on their own, but Knuckles needs a prosthetic. 

6 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Iunno how unpopular it is, but Knuckles' spikes should be part of his hands and not his gloves. It'd just be weird that every other character can fight on their own, but Knuckles needs a prosthetic. 

I mean Amy has her hammer, Tails builds machines, Shadow uses guns...a character's not necessarily less just because they use a weapon rather than innate abilities.

But I do agree that they should be part of his body.

10 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean Amy has her hammer, Tails builds machines, Shadow uses guns...a character's not necessarily less just because they use a weapon rather than innate abilities.

Also, you don't need spikes if you can hit like a GUN Truck. The spikes are just overkill considering how strong Knuckles is, the guy punched Super Sonic hard enough to knock him back to normal! I personally don't mind either way. It could be natural, or it could be part of the glove. I like the idea of the spiked gloves being a traditional weapon of the Knuckles clan, part of Knuckles heritage.

Meant to get back to this a lot sooner but it's been a busy week...

On 12/9/2019 at 5:13 AM, Kuzu said:

I feel its because a difference in the focus; Eggman is the primary threat on the OVA, even when Metal Sonic takes the scene, so he has to be competent to give the heroes a good fight. 

The primary threat of the Metal Virus arc is the virus itself. And unlike in the OVA, Eggman is sharing the villain spotlight with newcomer Starlene, and one of the main components of that arc is showing how he is quickly growing disillusioned with Eggman as his flaws become more apparent; Eggman kinda has to be a bit more incompetent to justify that dynamic otherwise it just falls apart.

I don't think Idw IDW Eggman is bad; it just highlights a part of him that doesn't usually get showcased, while he's a rather straightforward villain in the OVA.

I'm probably misinterpreting this as I seem to be doing that a lot lately, but this kind of reads that Eggman needs to be nerfed so that way Dr. Starline can have his character arc. Not to sound like @Shadowlax too much, but that doesn't really read like good writing to me. If you have to alter one character so you can get what you want out of another then you probably need to go back to the conceptual stage and ask yourself if this is your end goal how can you get there without undermining the other character. That Flynn felt the need to undermine Eggman as a goofball who is actually in control until his temper gets the better of him or the heroes overcome implies that something went sideways in the planning process. I can't say what, but it doesn't reflect well to me, especially considering how many oversights Eggman has had in this arc. Of course to be fair SEGA themselves been pushing Eggman as useless and a threat by circumstance themselves instead of his own initiative, so perhaps I'm just too attached to the past.

20 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Meant to get back to this a lot sooner but it's been a busy week...

I'm probably misinterpreting this as I seem to be doing that a lot lately, but this kind of reads that Eggman needs to be nerfed so that way Dr. Starline can have his character arc. Not to sound like @Shadowlax too much, but that doesn't really read like good writing to me. If you have to alter one character so you can get what you want out of another then you probably need to go back to the conceptual stage and ask yourself if this is your end goal how can you get there without undermining the other character. That Flynn felt the need to undermine Eggman as a goofball who is actually in control until his temper gets the better of him or the heroes overcome implies that something went sideways in the planning process. I can't say what, but it doesn't reflect well to me, especially considering how many oversights Eggman has had in this arc. Of course to be fair SEGA themselves been pushing Eggman as useless and a threat by circumstance themselves instead of his own initiative, so perhaps I'm just too attached to the past.

Eggman has been notorious for oversight after oversight in the main series. IDW isn't flanderizing Eggman. Starline just acts as a character that draws attention to a flaw he's always had.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Eggman has been notorious for oversight after oversight in the main series. IDW isn't flanderizing Eggman. Starline just acts as a character that draws attention to a flaw he's always had.

Yeah like...

I feel like this eggman is actually a lot more in character than the previous one. Before he was this man with plans after plans all cruel he was always in control. When in reality he has very little foresight , and can't think to far ahead. He's a very selfish " I want it now " kinda guy. And doesn't think past what he wants or the potential ramifications of what he's dealing with until its too late and that tracks. The only part of IDW eggman I don't like his thing with mimic, it smacks of old archie eggman. Him threatening him if he fails, I dunno I feel eggman would do that and then forget who he was talking to , too much later. Everything is kinda ephemeral with him

I get what @Sonic Fan J is getting at, but I feel like eggman didn't change much. This might be the most accurate depiction of his in game persona that ever existed. It was archie eggman, STC eggman, ova,  and cartoon eggman that were wild out of character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Eggman being an evil mastermind but still occasionally being an incompetetnt twit seems to be more in-line with the games rather than any form of Flanderization. While Eggman can be a dastardly villain in the games, he's not anywhere near as competent or no-nonsense (or even evil for that matter) as Robo-Robotnik 2 or SATAM Robotnik and has always had a degree of imcompetence to him. (The Lava Reef boss in Sonic & Knuckles being damaged by its own mines as an early example). This incarnation to me strikes a good balance between nigh-unstoppable overlord Eggman and harmless cartoon villain Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

IDW Eggman only feels weird in the context of the comic being a sequel to forces. Eggman going from backup plans after backup plans to "don't get infected lol" dont really mesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

IDW Eggman only feels weird in the context of the comic being a sequel to forces. Eggman going from backup plans after backup plans to "don't get infected lol" dont really mesh.

Forces Eggman was...pretty lean wasn't he?

Ignoring Forces Eggman is just the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

No idea if this opinion is popular, unpopular, or something most people just don't feel strongly about either way, but...

I think Dummy Ring Bombs are a really dumb attack; at least in the context they've been used.  The presumed reason they look like item capsules and rings is to fool people, but because you're throwing them at AI-controlled enemies that don't collect rings, there's no point to that.  Instead, they can confuse you in circumstances when you've thrown the bomb and been hit very close in time and space, sending you grabbing at fake rings.

• Thumbs Up 3

DESU

39 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

No idea if this opinion is popular, unpopular, or something most people just don't feel strongly about either way, but...

The concept is universally disliked (for some reason).

And there's an extremely simple solution to fix the confusion between real and dummy rings, just make the rings disappear upon hitting the enemy.

The whole concept is that they're exploding from the capsule and the physics engine is what's making them damage the robots, but the fact that they don't get absorbed into the enemy like they're "collecting" them is pretty stupid. That alone would make it a neat idea and...would actually make the attack consistent since..sometimes they just don't do damage.

On 12/9/2019 at 9:00 PM, thumbs13 said:

On 12/9/2019 at 9:13 PM, Diogenes said:

Real echidnas have sizable claws, so they probably are.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:00 AM, thumbs13 said:

How do you know they’re not?

Relevant trivia: in the old Archie comics, it was revealed that Knuckles did, indeed, have spikes on his actual hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't really like Green Hill interpreted realistically like in Gens, the movie, or plenty of fan content. It seems to be a really popular take but I think Green Hill showed off the original games' intended artstyle perfectly with it's geometric retro-cg inspired way of portraying organic environments. It's cooler looking and more vibrant than realistic, grimy boulders and cliffsides with obligatory checker patterns wrapped over them and dulled colors.