Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I actually liked Forces. I still believe that Knuckles shouldn’t have been the leader though. 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/20/2020 at 12:28 AM, IndigoTheHedgehog said:

I actually liked Forces. I still believe that Knuckles shouldn’t have been the leader though. 

It was weird for him to be a leader, given that he's meant to be antisocial due to his background

I liked the idea of him having a major role in the Resistance given his ancestors were increasingly desperate warriors, but the idea of him being THE Leader was too much of an overgeneralization.

Knuckles being the leader is a bad idea. The game even seems aware of that. It's not really hard for me to believe that people would rally behind him in-universe though. Other heroes that would have been well-known like Tails and Shadow were MIA for one reason or another. 

I could buy IDW's explanation that Amy was the one keeping everything organized behind closed doors.

I would have been fine with Knuckles being leader if they actually put some context behind it, but it's just something that...happens regardless if it makes sense or not in-universe. On a meta level, I'm certain it was done to address the complaints about him not being cool anymore. 

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

Knuckles being the leader is a bad idea. The game even seems aware of that. It's not really hard for me to believe that people would rally behind him in-universe though.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I would have been fine with Knuckles being leader if they actually put some context behind it, but it's just something that...happens regardless if it makes sense or not in-universe. 

That too.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

I could buy IDW's explanation that Amy was the one keeping everything organized behind closed doors.

She was essentially the one Marcia to his George.

Not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but despite how much I enjoy SatAM, Jaleel White is quite possibly the worst Sonic voice I've ever heard. He's incredibly annoying, I don't know how anyone could consider him the definitive voice of Sonic, even if they grew up with him. Also the "mohawk" design for his quills is absolutely awful, and SONIC SHOULDN'T WINK LIKE THAT.

Also, regarding SatAM/Archie, some love the Freedom Fighters, others hate them, I feel pretty meh regarding them. I don't care in the slightest whether they ever return or if not. Snively must come back though, or at least an expy like Dr. Starline or Grimer.

Another one, but I think Sonic And The Black Knight, Sonic Forces, and Shadow The Hedgehog are very underrated games. They aren't perfect, and many have a lot of major critical flaw, but each of them has been fun for me to play, and I find a lot more to enjoy than I do to hate.

I have to say that, while I can stand most of the cheesy image songs in the games, I have to skip Satam's intro each and every time. I dunno why precisely it is such compared to those, but the theme just comes off as TOO narmy and melodramatic.

Also with Knuckles, I think him being the leader might have made sense if they were playing on his whole later more comical shtick of him wanting to be the main hero over Sonic. The thing is however, they don't really play on it, he isn't really undermined all that much, even when he DOES make an inevitable screw up. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm fine with a case where Knuckles ISN'T blowing it, we don't need him to become Mayor Knuckles or Sonic X 'not even Cream will listen to you' Knuckles, but it's weird they put him in that role and yet never really play on his ego, not even in a deconstruction sort of way of actually lampshading he's actually putting in a proper effort.

23 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

...melodramatic.

What even is melodramatic about SatAM's opening theme?

You know, this retroactive hate that people have for SATAM is pretty funny. I didn't even grow up with the show and think its hilarious are so quick to call it out on how dated it is...when yea, that's kind of what Sonic is marketed as in that time.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You know, this retroactive hate that people have for SATAM is pretty funny. I didn't even grow up with the show and think its hilarious are so quick to call it out on how dated it is...when yea, that's kind of what Sonic is marketed as in that time.

It's almost like Sonic himself(plus Sally, Shadow, and maybe Jet while we're at it) were very much products of their times.

26 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What even is melodramatic about SatAM's opening theme?

I guess it's how damn serious the music and that vocalist seems to be singing about Sonic the Hedgehog (even quoting his name every second line). I mean I get it's a weird double standard, since TONS of the games have a similar air to them (E.G.G.M.A.N. for example is trying just as hard to sound badass but I LOVE it for its corniness, same for Team Chaotix which has the same blasted lyrical pattern), but for whatever reason SatAm's theme just didn't work out for me.

This is not more ragging on SatAm in particular, just the theme, just couldn't get into it.

I'm just confused by the use of melodramatic...

I guess it fits, the song is really hyping him up...

Doesn't even mention anyone else...weirdly...

It really is just a song named for the show...

8 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I guess it's how damn serious the music and that vocalist seems to be singing about Sonic the Hedgehog (even quoting his name every second line). I mean I get it's a weird double standard, since TONS of the games have a similar air to them (E.G.G.M.A.N. for example is trying just as hard to sound badass but I LOVE it for its corniness, same for Team Chaotix which has the same blasted lyrical pattern), but for whatever reason SatAm's theme just didn't work out for me.

This is not more ragging on SatAm in particular, just the theme, just couldn't get into it.

The SatAM theme has never come across as very "serious" to me. It's just a fun song with cheesy lyrics. It does have a sort of over-sincerity to it that I guess is a little bit cringey, but it's also a bit charming.

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm just confused by the use of melodramatic...

I guess it fits, the song is really hyping him up...

Doesn't even mention anyone else...weirdly...

It really is just a song named for the show...

Sonic is Badass is too edgy. He should've went with something more wholesome

If you really want a song that goes way too hard, then Sonic Underground is much more appropriate.

Again I don't really get why since I can stand the franchise's other corny songs (even if I cringe a little at Knuckles' rap songs). I guess it's just down to execution.

I seem to be kinda on off about in-universe describing theme songs. I mean I think old Disney themes like Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck and New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh are as catchy as everyone else does....except the Gummi Bears theme for whatever reason. Again dunno why I think just that one is too corny above the other ones, it just doesn't work the same for me. Maybe it is just that over-sincerity mentioned.

The Satam theme song isn't too out there compared to other 90s cartoon themes or even the Sonic Underground theme, honestly. It's sung passionately, I guess, but so aee most themes.

In my opinion, the SATAM theme song was perfect for the way Sonic was marketed at the time but kinda unfitting for the show itself.

As for my unpopular opinion, since I’ve been seeing a lot of Heroes praise, I’ll come out and say it is honestly a mediocre at best game. While the concept sounds perfect and could rid the problem of “why am I doing blah blah blah in a sonic game”, as well as having an amazing visual direction and OST, the game itself just does so many things wrong. For one, the controls are slippery and feel like Sonic & Co. skating with butter under their shoes, but good level design can save iffy control (eg. Sonic Advance 3 & Generations) however, the level design feels so copy paste as set pieces are constantly used, than used again, and again, and again. Even when the level design is somewhat original and almost fun, you’re always stopped by enemies that cost you the special key because Sonic moves way too fast to slow down at a decent rate. Tails’ thunder shoot is OP but that doesn't mean much considering he probably controls the worst due to being slow, fall off ledges easily and has flight even shorter than Sonic 06. While Knuckles probably feels the best out of the trio due to decent speed, not a fan of how his attacks move him forward into a bottomless pit. The game has a plentiful of glitches (I played the GC version, not the PS2 version) that can vary from mildly amusing animation glitches to a cheap way of losing a life. The bosses are 3 types: character fights which genuinely took me less time than SA1’s, endurance rounds, which are endurance rounds and actual boss fights. Egg hawk is just press b as Knuckles, Egg Albatross is just spam A as Sonic & Egg Emperor is a terrible fight since you just have stuff trying to kill you while the boss is trying to kill you and when the boss rushes off, you run in the right direction, use a ramp or pole and the Egg Emperor just charges at you, christ it’s bad. And all those issues are just Team Sonic. Sonic Heroes gets worst every playthrough. Team Dark is my issues with Team Sonic ramped up to 11... trillion, Team Rose isn’t terrible but feels so pointless considering you’ve most likely 2 campaigns by now and Team Chaotix is beta-shadow the hedgehog, with all teams ending up in an anti-climactic final boss that pointlessly used a fan favourite. Sonic Heroes could’ve been great, and I’m glad people enjoy it more than me. There are certainly bright spots in this game (OST, Grand Metropolis, Egg Fleet). But, Sonic Heroes more or less started the slow decline culminating in 06, that still plagues both the fandom and the franchise, and that’s something I can’t really respect Heroes for doing. For all its best aspects, none of it was worth what happened to the franchise.

Same really. Heroes was my first 3D era game, but it wasn't really until I got Adventure 1 afterwards that I REALLY got back into Sonic. Some of the hark backs to the older games in aesthetics and gameplay were a cool idea, but Heroes was just too convoluted and monotonous a game to keep me going. Plus the constant cheesy banter got on my nerves.

I didn't really mind Chaotix being like the mission mode of the game though. I know some of the missions are rather tedious, but I did like we got one campaign that was structured rather differently (though I admit to liking Team Rose for their more forgiving difficulty and Big being a more nimble character while playing reasonably different from Knuckles).

This opinion might be more divisive than unpopular, but I didn't mind Boom Knuckles compare to the previous era Knuckles. The problem is more specific here though. Both eras make Knuckles comic relief, but I think Boom Knuckles shows more writers love for the character, just their own very different take. He's dumb comic relief, but they put effort into his jokes and he has a fun pally relationship with the other characters in spite of sometimes annoying them. Shadow/Sonic X era Knuckles, while maybe more accurate to the original characterisation, kinda feels like the Meg/Dr Zoidberg type character, the one that the writers don't really find much interest in so just go in-universe with that, making them the disliked butt of jokes in whatever little screentime they get, and never really going far with it enough to actually play on it like those two examples eventually did. I was never really big on the whole 'Oh look, no one likes him, not even the nice characters' type gags, they tend to only work when the cast is unlikeable to begin with (seeing even Cream bully Knuckles or nonchalantly introduce him as an idiot ruined her), sure Boom undermines him a lot, but it's not that one note mean spirited.

Yeah, it was kinda nice Team Chaotix wasn’t just another mode of difficulty. The problem is it wasn’t fun either.

I agree that I like Boom Knuckles. TBH if you’re gonna make Knuckles stupid, at least do it to a spin-off series. Plus he probably had the best lines in the TV show.

I must be in a different part f the fandom since I haven't really seen any major praise for it, aside from ExoParadigmGamer's review of it and people saying it was their first Sonic game.

If anything I see more of people lumping it in With Shadow and 06 as a Dark Age Game

Also, another unpopular opinion, 06's story was really enjoyable, especially Silver, Shadow, and Mephiles. And while the Elise kiss was weird, and not at all something I needed to see in the game, it isn't bestiality, as some claim. Sonic isn't a normal hedgehog, he's a sentient anthropomorphic "mobian" and a very human-like being.

9 hours ago, A Peep said:

I agree that I like Boom Knuckles. TBH if you’re gonna make Knuckles stupid, at least do it to a spin-off series. Plus he probably had the best lines in the TV show.

True, had he been Sonic's own Patrick Star, I wouldn't liked it, but he and Eggman may have been the best part of the series

I don't like colors that much, I think the Level Design was way too blocky, and the wisps are cool, but the level design is super boring, it has my favorite Story, but yeah I think it has lame level design compared to Unleashed and Generations, and I don't find myself regularly replaying the levels