Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

32 minutes ago, PhoenixtheJackal said:

I don't like colors that much, I think the Level Design was way too blocky, and the wisps are cool, but the level design is super boring, it has my favorite Story, but yeah I think it has lame level design compared to Unleashed and Generations, and I don't find myself regularly replaying the levels

Really? I never expected anyone to say Colors was their favorite story.

Unleashed, Adventure, Adventure 2, and several other games have stories that are by far superior to Color's stories, in my opinion.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, UnknownByME said:

Really? I never expected anyone to say Colors was their favorite story.

Unleashed, Adventure, Adventure 2, and several other games have stories that are by far superior to Color's stories, in my opinion.

I liked Sonic and Chip's friendship in Unleashed, but everything else felt like too serious in 

Unleashed it's like the tail end of taking the story seriously before Forces, and I thought the Adventure Games were poorly written along with taking itself too seriously, I just really liked the writing in Colours the writing in the other games feels off, I also thought the Storybook Duology had really good writing, and we're the height of Jason Griffith Sonic , but Colours was just the dash more fun writing even if I don't think it's that fun of a Sonic Game

Just now, PhoenixtheJackal said:

I liked Sonic and Chip's friendship in Unleashed, but everything else felt like too serious in 

Unleashed it's like the tail end of taking the story seriously before Forces, and I thought the Adventure Games were poorly written along with taking itself too seriously, I just really liked the writing in Colours the writing in the other games feels off, I also thought the Storybook Duology had really good writing, and we're the height of Jason Griffith Sonic , but Colours was just the dash more fun writing even if you don't think it's that fun of a Sonic Game

That's fair. I can't really get into Colors' story, but I can appreciate how generally fun and solid it is.

Also, I have to agree with you about the storybook games. Black Knight has possibly mu favorite Sonic story.

10 minutes ago, UnknownByME said:

That's fair. I can't really get into Colors' story, but I can appreciate how generally fun and solid it is.

Also, I have to agree with you about the storybook games. Black Knight has possibly mu favorite Sonic story.

The Storybook games definitely represented Sonic being Carefree, but also being Selfless, whereas Colors it definitely didn't feel like Sonic Cared that much about Yaker and the other wisps, but I also take it as it's just Eggman I can Save these Guys in No Time, whereas in the Storybook Arthur and later Merlina are way more threatening, and so is Eraser Djin

True, I also love Sonic and Caliburn's constant arguing even during levels, Sonic actually learning and growing in his sword skills, Merlina's really good motives, the CGI cutscenes, Exculibur Sonic, the Knights, and a ton of other stuff that makes me feel like the game deserves a rerelease.

2 minutes ago, UnknownByME said:

True, I also love Sonic and Caliburn's constant arguing even during levels, Sonic actually learning and growing in his sword skills, Merlina's really good motives, the CGI cutscenes, Exculibur Sonic, the Knights, and a ton of other stuff that makes me feel like the game deserves a rerelease.

I honestly want like remakes of the games, to like make them feel more Sonicy, I love Black Knight but it's not very Sonic like so I'd love if it was more Sonicy, but still have Caliburn and stuff, and I'd also really want Secret Rings to be a Good Game

2 minutes ago, PhoenixtheJackal said:

I honestly want like remakes of the games, to like make them feel more Sonicy, I love Black Knight but it's not very Sonic like so I'd love if it was more Sonicy, but still have Caliburn and stuff, and I'd also really want Secret Rings to be a Good Game

Actually, I feel it's very Sonic-y. Sure, he's in a new setting with new people, but I played it when I was younger, so it, along with the classics, SA2 (Xbox 360), and Generations, really developed my opinion of Sonic

4 minutes ago, UnknownByME said:

Actually, I feel it's very Sonic-y. Sure, he's in a new setting with new people, but I played it when I was younger, so it, along with the classics, SA2 (Xbox 360), and Generations, really developed my opinion of Sonic

At least for me unless you were doing the Buzzsaw attack thing the combat felt really slow, the only really comparison is like Sonic Battle, and Shadow, but both those games the combat felt like Sonic but something about Black Knight just didn't feel like Sonic

Contrary to what most people shouting would tell you, Colors` has a fine, if unremarkable story. Most of it's resentment stems from the fact that it became the basis the series would adhere too for the rest of the decade, and as the quality of the games dropped, as did the opinion of Colors. 

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Contrary to what most people shouting would tell you, Colors` has a fine, if unremarkable story. Most of it's resentment stems from the fact that it became the basis the series would adhere too for the rest of the decade, and as the quality of the games dropped, as did the opinion of Colors. 

Oh, I agree it's fine, I just don't think it really stands out in any particular way.

34 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

My unpopular one is mostly Colours isn't all that great except for the writing and art design (it doesn't look as good as Unleashed, but the themes are way radder), and I wish they'd bring back Colors Swimming

I thought DS Colours was like a better scripted version of the story really, less forced gags but still kept the basic script.

It was okay as a building block, adding Orbot and Cubot, making Eggman the main non-patsy villain for once and giving Tails a proper chemistry with Sonic again after a long while of blandness, but the execution was pretty medicore. Truthfully, combined with the overindulgent meta talk, the Pontac era feels like a primordial version of Sonic Boom, setting up the basic ideas the show would use but in much better quality.

It's a shame because I really liked having a more cartoony Sonic premise again.

Colors's story is largely pretty bad outside of the tone it chooses to take. It doesn't even really follow through on most of it's jokes, let alone the plot points it sets up.

If I'm being perfectly honest; Colors` story is so inconsequential to me that it's not even worth getting upset over. I understand WHY others don't like it, but I really can't bring myself to care myself and think its mostly just fluff. 

So since Colors is a hot topic I went back to replay it and I can safely say it's just an ok game. I don't know what it is about the platforming but it's just too stiff for my liking, the drift is pretty bad and the other 3D sections feel a bit lacking for my taste.

However I will say that the Wisp themselves are pretty well executed since the game was actually built around them. While they are mostly optional you're basically getting the best experience when you use them and the game encourages replayability once you unlock more of them so that's neat. It makes me wonder why the hell did they get it right the first time but every other time when the wisp are there they suck especially with SEGA insisting that they're series staples now.

And since everybody is talking about the story yeah it's shit. I'm fine with a light hearted approach but man this game tries too hard to be funny even when there's a serious moment it doesn't feel earned or sincere I just feel indifferent. 

11 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If I'm being perfectly honest; Colors` story is so inconsequential to me that it's not even worth getting upset over. I understand WHY others don't like it, but I really can't bring myself to care myself and think its mostly just fluff. 

I just hate how the story impacted the direction of the series more than anything. 

I have less of a problem with Colors' story being boring than I do with the dub writing being really fucking obnoxious.

I mean, the story was "good enough" for the time it released in as a break from other things, but then "good enough" became the standard Sega stuck to, and that went far beyond just the stories. The games themselves are safe and forgettable.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

I have less of a problem with Colors' story being boring than I do with the dub writing being really fucking obnoxious.

I mean, the story was "good enough" for the time it released in as a break from other things, but then "good enough" became the standard Sega stuck to, and that went far beyond just the stories. The games themselves are safe and forgettable.

You want to know the depressing part; I don't think it's entirely Sega's fault. They likely, legitimately, just do not see any profit in the series anymore and would rather put it elsewhere. Safe and forgettable is probably all they can afford to do now....

48 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You want to know the depressing part; I don't think it's entirely Sega's fault. They likely, legitimately, just do not see any profit in the series anymore and would rather put it elsewhere. Safe and forgettable is probably all they can afford to do now....

I dont think that's true at all. Sonic is more than video games and I'm sure sonic sees profit. And sega is not afraid of throwing series or even mascots in the garbage if they dont make money. Sonic makes money.

They dont want to invest to make that money. It's why mobile games are often so appealing to companies. Low investment, high income. Iirc the sonic mobile games do very well. Console Games require more money and effort, I think that's the issue. And to be fair a lot of older sonic games at the time were lower budgeted affairs, they were put together better. All that in combination with the idea that some of sonic's bigger failures were things that attempted to have larger budgets.  It's easy to see some investor with no foresight not wanting to invest.

They are safe to guarantee the highest investment  to profit ratio. The only silver lining is that as of recently is that what was unsafe and was safe is in the process of flipping. Totally different versions in film , comics, and the rise of a bunch of people who grew up with the adventure era having money in an age of remakes problably seems like a reasonable investment. Cause to invest more even.

Now anyone who was paying attention to media or the sway sonic still has could have told you that...10+ years ago. But along with lack of foresight,  sega kinda stopped paying attention to its contemporaries in media. But he...silver linings

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dont think that's true at all. Sonic is more than video games and I'm sure sonic sees profit. And sega is not afraid of throwing series or even mascots in the garbage if they dont make money. Sonic makes money.

I said there's not MUCH money, not that there is no money at all. And most of the non-game related stuff Sega has almost nothing outside of publishing. 

They've TRIED literally numerous times throwing money at the series for advertisement in the past decade or so, and it's always fallen flat on its face (Unleashed, Boom, Forces). Its not hard to come to a conclusion that maybe the series simply is not worth putting THAT much money in anymore. 

Sure, you can make good games with a small budget; but those are mostly indy related titles or smaller projects. Certainly not the Triple A quality people expect out of a series like Sonic. Unless something changes, I don't see the series really producing anything above a B grade for the foreseeable future. 

Even a remake of Sonic Adventure would likely be heavily budgeted because someone has to convince Sega why in god's name should they keep throwing so much money at this franchise when it consistently underperforms. 

We've entered a weird timeline where Sega are focusing more on their other franchises, while their "flagship" franchise is being treated like a side project.

I'm gonna go with this unpopular opinion: while I do like Colors, I think ultimately Lost World wins for me, for a good list of reasons (sorry for making a list, but it helps put ideas in order):

1. Open 3D gameplay with lots of paths to choose from, sometimes even 4 parallel routes

2. Multiple combat actions and options that create a variety of way to defeat badniks, which work differently but are still simple to destroy

3. 2D and 3D separated into different sections, although 2D sections are quite dull, 3D ones are definitely more free/explorative than most stages we've had in 3D Sonic since SA1

4. New cool moves such as parkour, if anything it's underused because of annoying springs and the usual automation, the idea is great though

5. Unique bosses and villains that aren't just boring chase battles, I enjoyed Zor and Zavok's especially, what kills the difficulty is that stupid charge homing attack that makes it way too easy

6. The soundtrack may not be as good as Unleashed or Colors, but it's still pretty great, although I prefer Runners Ohtani, this one has very cool atmospheres for each stage

7. Cool gimmicky secondary acts with plenty of new ideas, as well as homages to the past, like gimmicks from Metropolis, Sandopolis, Labyrinth Zone, and more, but for example the Sky Road stages or the ice skating were quite fun new ideas

8. The story sure had a lot more going on than Colors... which was basically forced joke dialogues and nothing else. I agree that Lost World is basically the worst written Sonic game ever, so the script is bad, the idea was okay. Eggman is surprisingly wise and entertaining, Sonic is okay, Zavok is the one salvageable Zeti, at least he acts like a villain, and Tails... listen, I'm glad Pontaff were trying to give him an arc, if only he didn't act like a fucking jerk and bully, he seemed possessed by the Babylon Rogues basically. So bad script, story with some potential

9. Optional usage of Wisps: this is actually one of the most important points, Colors was all about the wisps but still, they took over gameplay way too much, I preferred them as alternate routes power-ups, to get red star rings. Plus they weren't in every stage. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it this way, more room for variety. Plus, I really didn't care that they didn't explain their presence in canon. They are gameplay features

10. New ideas in general, new zones that sometimes are inspired by past zones but in new ways. I would argue that this game has a lot more new ideas than Forces too

11. The return of Spin Dash in a 3D game, that was also a cool feature

So I think that covers it, I'm replaying Lost World right now and I prefer it over Colors, besides gameplay, trope zones, bit of combat, better gimmick acts, non forced Wisps, better bosses, more of an arc, and more variety in general. I just find it more enjoyable.

So I don't get why people really hate Lost World, it's one of the better ones, more underrated than Unleashed maybe... though it definitely has a LOT of faults, like slowing down gameplay (that infamous run button, it would have been a lot more logical to simply make Sonic go faster after you keep walking for more seconds, so platforming sections would get you to go slow, and then progressively fast), not giving a good use of the parkour, terrible dialogues, very simplistic graphic style which I never liked, but ironically even with the game being set in a floating hidden world, level design felt more open and full of items than the "highway in the sky" boost games. Maybe I'm just tired of the boost in general.

And it goes without a doubt that I put Forces behind Colors, the former just feels so basic and empty and that it cut its stages in half, it's not fun at all.

More unpopular ideas (I have plenty) will come later.

Honestly, while I still find Colors is the more solid game of the three, I still sorta respect Lost World a little more and recall thinking it had the right idea when they first started showing it off.

You know, before those articles about SonicTeam not getting the boost and Forces being made by 3 relative newbies came out, not to mention the rumor about the game being changed, I thought the shift in content in Forces was somewhat deliberately an overreaction to how mixed Lost World was despite SonicTeam putting quite a bit of time and effort into developing the latter. Which evidently isn't quite true, but it's not hard to think the timing was extra peculiar.

With that said, I still think Lost World had quite a bit of pigeonholing as well though.

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I said there's not MUCH money, not that there is no money at all. And most of the non-game related stuff Sega has almost nothing outside of publishing. 

They've TRIED literally numerous times throwing money at the series for advertisement in the past decade or so, and it's always fallen flat on its face (Unleashed, Boom, Forces). Its not hard to come to a conclusion that maybe the series simply is not worth putting THAT much money in anymore. 

Stop making points up based on nothing and arguing from that framework. Unleashed was insanely successful financially as was a lot of their other games. 

3 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

8. The story sure had a lot more going on than Colors... which was basically forced joke dialogues and nothing else. I agree that Lost World is basically the worst written Sonic game ever, so the script is bad, the idea was okay. Eggman is surprisingly wise and entertaining, Sonic is okay, Zavok is the one salvageable Zeti, at least he acts like a villain, and Tails... listen, I'm glad Pontaff were trying to give him an arc, if only he didn't act like a fucking jerk and bully, he seemed possessed by the Babylon Rogues basically. So bad script, story with some potential

Again, the Pontac games kinda feel like a primordial 'building block' for what Sonic Boom done. The basics Colours established, while here Lost World goes into other elements like adding new bad guys with more directed personalities and deconstructing the main characters, conveying Sonic and Tails in a more flawed light and limelighting Eggman's more morally ambiguous qualities and how it affects his chemistry with the good guys. It kinda feels like the Boom writers took a look at the Pontac games and refined on what they utilised. If that is the case,  these games do get credit for opening potential, even if they needed another media to show how to do them competently.

I do like how Boom handled the cast sometimes, so another game that followed their more refined format could work (or you know just skip the formalities and get a Boom writer on board).

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

just hate how the story impacted the direction of the series more than anything. 

I highly prefer the Colours Direction over like adventure

31 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Again, the Pontac games kinda feel like a primordial 'building block' for what Sonic Boom done. The basics Colours established, while here Lost World goes into other elements like adding new bad guys with more directed personalities and deconstructing the main characters, conveying Sonic and Tails in a more flawed light and limelighting Eggman's more morally ambiguous qualities and how it affects his chemistry with the good guys. It kinda feels like the Boom writers took a look at the Pontac games and refined on what they utilised. If that is the case,  these games do get credit for opening potential, even if they needed another media to show how to do them competently.

I do like how Boom handled the cast sometimes, so another game that followed their more refined format could work (or you know just skip the formalities and get a Boom writer on board).

Definitely definitely want the Boom Writers to Write a Game, cuz the show is great and Amy Actually has a personality outside of Sonic

7 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Sure, you can make good games with a small budget; but those are mostly indy related titles or smaller projects. Certainly not the Triple A quality people expect out of a series like Sonic. Unless something changes, I don't see the series really producing anything above a B grade for the foreseeable future. 

Even a remake of Sonic Adventure would likely be heavily budgeted because someone has to convince Sega why in god's name should they keep throwing so much money at this franchise when it consistently underperforms. 

We've entered a weird timeline where Sega are focusing more on their other franchises, while their "flagship" franchise is being treated like a side project.

I think SEGA's CEO himself said that Sonic is going to need a bigger budget and more developmental branches going forward.