Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I definitely don't think it diminished the characters in any way. Bean and Bark were never developed beyond being new characters created specifically for a very obscure arcade fighting game, whilst Nack was a secondary villain in some of the series' oldest spinoffs. They're commonly thought of as bad guys and as a team (in part due to the Archie comics), and this worked so well. It even played off Nack's wanted poster cameo in Generations. 

Bean and Bark had those as well.

07625849e5ffa6b4ff56b8d4ad46cd6c.png

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Bean and Bark had those as well.

07625849e5ffa6b4ff56b8d4ad46cd6c.png

I forgot about Bean and Bark. Thought it was just Mighty, Ray and Nack. Regardless, it's a cool way to expand upon the cameo. Either these guys are still missing, or they were never real to begin with. One way or another, I still like their appearance in Mania.

I was upset about it too, because I felt tricked but part of me is sort of glad that Nack, Bark, and Bean weren’t actually in Mania and it was just one of the Heavies, given that Mania was the point where they started restricting characters to either Classic or Modern worlds.

My happiness would’ve been brief before getting ticked that they’d likely not be allowed in Modern Sonic.

9 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I was upset about it too, because I felt tricked but part of me is sort of glad that Nack, Bark, and Bean weren’t actually in Mania and it was just one of the Heavies, given that Mania was the point where they started restricting characters to either Classic or Modern worlds.

My happiness would’ve been brief before getting ticked that they’d likely not be allowed in Modern Sonic.

Uh...yeeeah, they sure aren't subject to that....

On 4/14/2020 at 2:41 PM, thumbs13 said:

Is it unpopular to say that Shadow the Hedgehog's 10 rings per hit thing was the best? Cause I liked that way more, honestly. 

Sonic And The Black Knight also did this

8 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Uh....

What?

• My Emmerdoods 1

Regarding the Mirage Saloon Heavy Magician boss fight, I don't really see it as pandering because it's not a property the stage or the game really dwells upon or builds up as a major selling point. It's a one-off cameo that isn't referred to anywhere else in the rest of the game. 

Moreover, it's hard for me to be upset because it's the first use of those characters in the official games in....anything beyond a poster since their last appearance in Fighters from over two decades ago. An argument could definitely be made that the Heavy Magician fight could had been designed so that the characters weren't used at all, but I'm not mad that the development team made the effort to get them in there in some way. (I imagine the Mania developers had to make the effort get them included, much like they did with getting Ray and Mighty as playable characters for the Plus DLC--Iizuka for the latter is on record for saying they never had any intention of doing anything with those two characters again.)

I'm probably being very blindly optimistic with the following, but it gives me some a bit of hope that the actual characters could get a more prominent / proper role for a hypothetical future classic Sonic project. 

Sonic Forces Speed Battle > Sonic Runners >>> Other Sonic apps

(For now at least, the Olympics also look promising)

I dunno guys, I loved Runners, I'm still playing it with the Revival Project, but I do really prefer Forces mobile... as fun as Runners was, and it had lots of characters, fanservice in the buddies... so does Speed Battle, there are tons of characters, even more than in Runners, and I generally don't care about quantity, it's not simply that, as cool as the buddies are, here each character has his own set of moves, some shared with others, some exclusive to them, plus there are classes of characters like Common/Rare/Super Rare and Special which are ridiculous, I know other apps do it too but not the Sonic ones (SEGA Heroes did it though), it's really a cheap way to cash in for them, but it also makes each character feel more special, there are way more event characters, and Baby Sonic even has a passive skill for example, plus the item skills get crazier and more powerful with the class they come with.  Obviously you need less cards to unlock them and they get more rare with the character class.

In Sonic Runners, there are only 3 characters, they have their aereal skill that makes them play differently, but it's only really fitting in the zone they are meant to be played as, for example Sonic in Windy Hill, Tails in Sky Road and Knuckles in Lava Mountain, if you play as Knuckles in Windy Hill for example, you don't play perfectly. That can either be a good or bad thing, but I don't think it works well. Everyone else is basically a skin of these 3 with different score bonuses per team. In Forces, besides different items skills, each character gets their own stats. In both games, it's possible to level them up of course.

As for gameplay, it's really cool in both titles, and I know Forces is yet another twist on the Dash (Temple Run) formula, but we asked to play online in Sonic? Didn't we? It's legit the only Sonic game where you find players online, sadly.

Now, one niptick I have is Forces doesn't let you do other things, other modes, that makes it a bit repetitive with online races only, I would have welcomed more modes and ways to play, but still we have daily missions with rewards, global events like the Resistance vs Eggman Empire, so it's nice at least. Runners had story, timed mode and rankings... but IMO the issue were the level design patterns, it got boring and repetitive quickly, there were 3 speed levels, 3 zones from Lost World, one designed for each type, Speed, Fly and Power, okay? Cool, but it needed actual stages, and not be just an endless runner.

So yeah I wanted stages in Runners, Forces mobile has 24 tracks divided into 3 difficulties (counting the reverse tracks), set into 5 different zones, that's a lot, and you progressively unlock them by reaching a new league level, it's great, there is a progression, while Runners had story dialogues, it was... basically the same thing over and over, in gameplay and stages, level design, etc.

I'm actually spending a bit of time with Forces m. every day, it's always cool, obviously it's because they keep making updates every month, they bring special characters from past events back, add new ones etc. Runners is officially dead, and unofficially back, so it's a different situation entirely, of course Forces is more active.

Now the music... is the weak point of this debate, I WISH Forces had new music and not ripped from the HD game, and Runners has an amazing soundtrack, one of the best of the series.

Graphics are pretty in both games, but I dig Forces 3D, it looks good for a mobile app. I often don't even notice how cool it looks because there is a lot going on in every race. You can't lose attention. In Runners, the Lost World style fits very well.

You can argue that Runners has more love put into it, more passion, effort and plays a bit like a Sonic game, but I'm still enjoying Forces more, there is equal love in it, tons of content, and it's the online Sonic experience I was looking for, the best one out there at least. (I have to try SRB Kart again, I suck at that game).

And of course... both games suffered from microtransaction syndrome, as every freemium app, it's nothing new. If they are for free, they all have that shit.

But for the record, I spent a whole total of 000 money on any mobile games. I'm planning to buy Sonic Olympics, but that is a situation a la Super Mario Run, you get the demo for free, you buy the game and there are no shitty ads and money grabbing machines. Both Runners and Forces are very very fun, despite these annoying factors.

I have to disagree on Forces Speed Battle. The game is nice on paper, but it can get extremely frustrating to play.

Well, I suppose it's fun to play casually, but if you want to go more hardcore with it, it will make you rage insanely.

It's incredibly unfair and races are manipulated... they say there are cheaters (some users also occasionally change their nickname referencing cheaters), but I don't believe in it, because I play this game since almost the beginning and I know that it has always been like this. Actually, I'm more and more convinced that this game does not have real time multiplayer, and you run against bots based on the user's statistics similar to the toad rally in Mario Run where you race ghosts and not actual players.

-You play too much? You get punished and your next races you will be destroyed unfairly (the "curse" can even last for one or more days).

-You don't play enough? You will be declassed and will lose until the game thinks the amount of trophies you have matches what they want you to have.

Skills play a minimal factor in this game, actually, and even character stats are meaningless at times; it's all decided by the algorithm.

Also, the game messes with your psichology as well, it uses several lame exploits to trick you into doing stuff that will damage your stats or resources... for example, it will often reward you with trophies or cards that will bring the total amount to something that ends with 9; like, you need 300 cards to unlock a special character? It will bring you to 299, so you will buy another mission to get that one missing card; and so on... or it will reward you with a 24 hours chest, then after you open it, it will get you stuck with an "open 12 chests" mission and you can't finish it unless you do several unnecessary races (that will trigger the "You play too much" punishment) or actually wait 24 hours.

It gets really ridicolous when it wants you to lose at any cost... it will disconnect you from races so you lose by default, will make your opponents run twice as fast as you (without boost), will teleport any attack into you, keep an opponent stuck in front of you so it will steal all the rings and items on your way and leave you with nothing, it will give infinite weapons to one or more of your opponents (the attacks will only affect you obviously, they will pass through without getting damage), and so on... the most ridicolous of all is when the game makes you play from an almost isometric top view, or a camera stuck near your character's butt that will make you unable to see what's coming (or bad camera in loops, that too).

Screenshot.png.bcc254364b28fa8db8fe7ad3b2a59759.png

I arrived last, Storm had infinite thunder clouds and near the end, since I managed to still keep my 2nd position despite the game's camera cheat, it filled the whole track with them until I was actually last. It's not an isolated case, it's rare but sometimes happens and definitely it's not a glitch nor a cheater.

I wish a fair version of this game existed, even fan-made, because I like the gameplay concept but the unfairness makes it unplayable.

Sorry if I'm breaking any discussion thread.

I always saw this topic floating around but never decided to hop in (Hope reading 277 pages of text isn't necessary). But here a few opinions:

Sonic Adventure did a great transition from 2D to 3D: That's it. Despite the failing not releasing Sonic X-Treme was, SA took the responsibility to just not introduce Sonic to the 128-Bits era as well, made a good transition from the Classics to Adventure. I think SADX was enjoyable at first, but when I played the original Dreamcast version, I've found a synonym to perfection being a very solid sequel to S3&K without quality loss.
Sonic Adventure 2 is actually a pretty bad game: However, that's not what happen in its sequel. Likely this is my most unpopular opinion among the series. SA2 is trash and I'm starting to say it without shame. Maybe I should give a 2nd chance to it, but it really lost quality for me compared with SA. I've almost finished Heroes story and the only highlight of the game was City Escape (And maaaaaaybe Metal Harbor). But aside that, it doesn't feel a sequel to SA1. Not having Adventure Fields and you can't choose a specific character to play are among some of the biggest games mistakes for me. It's pretty tiring when you want to play with Sonic levels only but you have to deal with Tails and Knuckles in-between. This to not mention Knuckles Emerald Hunting seems very downgraded for me.
There's a lot of great obscure Sonic Games: Not exactly an unpopular opinion but likely something newcomers won't notice for a while. Just because a game is not "mainstream" it doesn't mean it's not good, in fact, lastly is been pretty much the opposite. Sonic Chaos and most Master System games are the proof to this. Sonic Chaos stands most side by side as Sonic 3 in 8-bits and I even dare to say it's a little better. Though I love SASRT, I must say Sonic Drift (Specially 2) is almost an essential Sonic Game.
Sonic Unleashed (PS2) was actually very enjoyable: Another polemic point on the list. As many people say the game is bad and up to one of the worst in the series, as a kid I enjoyed it a lot. Yeah, the Werehog levels are boring and time-consuming, meanwhile Sonic levels were cool and short. Still, I don't think it deserves all the hate. I never played the PS3 version, though many says it's one of the best, while (mostly the media) don't like it and feels the PS2 one is superior. Either way, I feel Sonic Unleashed (PS2) can be very enjoyable and I don't think some of its comparisons are fair.
Sonic 4 is a good game with a bad label: Not an unpopular opinion again but rather, a different perspective. I'm not saying Sonic 4: Episode I is a good game and it stays loyal to the classic series, in fact Sonic Mania does this way better. But maybe, if the game had other name, the first impression could have been totally different and maybe for better. I used to play this game, once again as a kid, on my iPod Touch. Compare it with Sonic 1 (and sometimes 2) was inevitable and it was evident the uninspired level themes, but maybe if the game didn't have "4" in the name and possibly projected as a "Portable" adventure, so might not focus on PC and consoles, the result could've been positive. Episode II seems to be a bit better and more loyal to the classics, but I haven't played it much. Still, it's been almost 5 years since I last played it.

I had other 3 topics to mention, but they aren't that unpopular or interesting, still, I think these are more than enough and can cause some interesting discussion.

People complain about this sometimes, but I am perfectly fine with how the stories are set up in SA2. I like switching back and forth, it's like a TV show or movie where it switches focus from character to character. My issue is that the gameplay styles for Tails and Knuckles are way inferior to Sonic, so when there's a long stretch without a Sonic level (hello Pumpkin Hill - Hidden Base) it's really tedious.

The Shadow stages in SA2 besides Radical Highway are inferior to Sonic's. Sonic's tend to have better level design. White Jungle is basically the same as Green Forest but no worse I guess, could have been a bit more different. Radical Highway is great, while Sky Rail has some really weird design and is super short, like it was thrown together at the last minute. Final Chase is Final Rush without most of the good stuff, like the alternate pathways, while the gravity tubes outstay their welcome quickly.

Sonic 1 is the best 8 bit game. It captures the lonely feel of the Mega Drive version, and while it is stripped down, it does enough things differently and keeps a fast pace throughout. Also the Scrap Brain theme in the 8 bit version is excellent and it's criminal it was never used again. Sonic 2 is nearly good but is cheap as all hell, Chaos feels like development had barely started on it, and Blast sucks. Triple Trouble is okay, but it suffers from trying to do too much and just doesn't really benefit from it. It's clunky. I prefer the faster control of the first two 8 bit games too.

1 hour ago, Semi-colon e said:

People complain about this sometimes, but I am perfectly fine with how the stories are set up in SA2. I like switching back and forth, it's like a TV show or movie where it switches focus from character to character.

Sonic 1 is the best 8 bit game. It captures the lonely feel of the Mega Drive version, and while it is stripped down, it does enough things differently and keeps a fast pace throughout. Also the Scrap Brain theme in the 8 bit version is excellent and it's criminal it was never used again. Sonic 2 is nearly good but is cheap as all hell, Chaos feels like development had barely started on it, and Blast sucks. Triple Trouble is okay, but it suffers from trying to do too much and just doesn't really benefit from it. It's clunky. I prefer the faster control of the first two 8 bit games too.

I agree, but it definitely does make trying to understand the events in the game harder to understand. Just in the Hero story alone it has Tails in Eternal Engine happen before Knuckles in Meteor Herd even though the events of these levels should be reversed. l used to spend hours as a kid recording all the cutscenes and levels on to a VHS tape to try to understand where chronologically all the events of the game take place. I always wished that there was an unlockable mode that allowed you to experience all the levels and cutscenes in order. A mod was recently released that allows you to do that, but the order of the cutscenes and levels is incorrect and I don't have any social media accounts to contact the creator of the mod. I was able to edit the mod though since it's basically a easy to understand .txt file, so my childhood dream of experiencing Sonic Adventure 2 in proper sequential order has been achieved.

I feel the same way about the 8-bit games, the 8-bit version of Sonic 1 for the Master System is just as good as the Mega Drive/Genesis trilogy to me. However, I personally find playing the 8-bit version of Sonic 1 on the Game Gear nearly unplayable due to the screen crunch. Many say that it's not that bad, but I can never manage force my self long enough to beat the game on the Game Gear. The Master System version of Sonic 1 is the only way to play the 8-bit version in my opinion. The best way to experience Sonic Triple Trouble is to overclock the system so the game doesn't experience any slow down. You can do that with the original hardware plus certain emulators and all the Sonic Master System and Game Gear games benefit from this, the only thing that gets glitched from doing this is the "SEGA" shout get high pitched. It's a real shame Triple Trouble was the only Sonic platformer that didn't get a proper Master System release because the screen crunch does affect my enjoyment of the game in places. Two fan ports to the Master System exist, but they both have graphic and other problems. Still, despite it's problems, Sunset Park Act 3 contains one of my favorite moments in the entire series.

Okay, I made this poll a while ago, Deadly Six vs Infinite. I know, only barely 115 people voted, my fan page isn't that big, but still, no doubt Infinite is more popular than the Zeti, not because of the poll, the comments (they aren't many), it's just that people really don't care for the D6.

Infinite vs Zeti.png

43 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Okay, I made this poll a while ago, Deadly Six vs Infinite. I know, only barely 115 people voted, my fan page isn't that big, but still, no doubt Infinite is more popular than the Zeti, not because of the poll, the comments (they aren't many), it's just that people really don't care for the D6.

Infinite vs Zeti.png

Oh really. Sei Nefasti?

Not entirely sure why it's here, but I guess I don't know another thread where it'd fit.

1 hour ago, Jack at Home said:

Infinite vs Zeti.png

This isn't really an unpopular opinion; Infinite is divisive at best, but he tends to fall in line with the aesthetic that younger fans like (similar to Shadow) while the Deadly Six get little to no attention or are outright despised at worst. The only reason people still know the Deadly Six is because Sega insist on having them reappear. 

Regarding the deadly six, I guess Zavoc is alright with me, but the rest of them are kinda ugly and have unappealing personalities. Well, except maybe the chick (forget her name). She's kinda hot.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

The only reason people still know the Deadly Six is because Sega insist on having them reappear. 

Well, Zavok and Zazz at least. Who, to be fair, are the more "distinct" ones.

That and the IDW comic openly brought them in.

54 minutes ago, batson said:

Regarding the deadly six, I guess Zavoc is alright with me, but the rest of them are kinda ugly and have unappealing personalities. Well, except maybe the chick (forget her name). She's kinda hot.

That's basically the one good thing about her.

24 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

That's basically the one good thing about her.

Indeed. As for her personality, it's honestly kinda flabergasting how her entire character is just "she's a she!" and nothing more. It's like they went "okay, so let's do one that's emo, one that's crazy, one that's female..." as if that were a personality trait in itself. But, again, she's hot, so I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I hate her or anything.

3 minutes ago, batson said:

Indeed. As for her personality, it's honestly kinda flabergasting how her entire character is just "she's a she!" and nothing more. It's like they went "okay, so let's do one that's emo, one that's crazy, one that's female..." as if that were a personality trait in itself. But, again, she's hot, so I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that I hate her anything.

To be a little fair, Zeena is technically in the Beverly Hills sorta direction, but yeah one pretty  one dimensional.

It doesn't help that she almost literally added nothing to the group's debut beyond her gender.

Sonic in Shadow's game is better than the ones post Shadow. He's more full of energy and fun compared to the more poetic and chill one in 06, Unleashed, and the Storybooks. Those Sonics aren't bad, but Shadow's appeals to me more.

• Thumbs Up 1

He's not chill in Nex Gen, he's just actually boring.

Though...maybe that's the fault of the animation and Griffith's performance.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

Sonic in Shadow's game is better than the ones post Shadow. He's more full of energy and fun compared to the more poetic and chill one in 06, Unleashed, and the Storybooks. Those Sonics aren't bad, but Shadow's appeals to me more.

I can't help but notice the irony where you prefer Sonic when he's not the protagonist lol. 

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

12 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I can't help but notice the irony where you prefer Sonic when he's not the protagonist lol. 

Kinda sounds like "a side character gets to be more" situation.