Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

7 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I can't help but notice the irony where you prefer Sonic when he's not the protagonist lol. 

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Kinda sounds like "a side character gets to be more" situation.

The side characters do tend to get more focus in spinoffs or side games. 

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Sonic in Shadow's game is better than the ones post Shadow. He's more full of energy and fun compared to the more poetic and chill one in 06, Unleashed, and the Storybooks. Those Sonics aren't bad, but Shadow's appeals to me more.

Yeah, Sonic was kinda hyperactive in ShtH. I think it might be to contrast him against the games main character.

Yeah, whenever sonic said anything it was always slightly jarring. Still my favourite moments in the cutscenes though (well apart from, “this is like taking candy from a baby, wHiCh iS FiNe bY mE”)

40 minutes ago, A Peep said:

“this is like taking candy from a baby, wHiCh iS FiNe bY mE”)

So edgy I can shave myself with it.

I've been inspired by @Kuzu and made my own Sonic cast tier list, it's extremely personal, extremely serious, and I'm quite vocal about it. I like most characters, because I grew up with them, some exist(ed) and some are literally pointless, bullies or just annoying.

Let's go!

my-image.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I've been inspired by @Kuzu and made my own Sonic cast tier list, it's extremely personal, extremely serious, and I'm quite vocal about it. I like most characters, because I grew up with them, some exist(ed) and some are literally pointless, bullies or just annoying.

Let's go!

my-image.jpg

Did he make one?

Funnily enough, I was investigating making one or so myself

50 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Let's go!

my-image.jpg

Dang, I didn't think anyone had strong opinions on Pacmanac of all characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, thumbs13 said:

Dang, I didn't think anyone had strong opinions on Pacmanac of all characters.

Pachacamac. Or Maria, for that matter.

I did the tier list thing with games, so I might as well explain myself for more unpopular opinions.

”rush adventure over rush 1?” - they’re both pretty close to each other but Rush Adventure feels more refined and has better level design than Rush, even with padded sailing.

”why 06 over Heroes?” - I’ve already discussed my distaste for Heroes (page 268) but 06, while having sensitive controls, still felt more precise than Heroes, I also feel that the level design felt open and had multiple paths that somewhat rewarded you for exploration in some levels. Not calling 06 good at all, but I can name more good points about than Heroes

”why Lost World so low?” - what makes Sonic special, what made him a mascot, what made him second to Mario was his speed and Lost World messes with the controls so much that it makes his defining feature limited to a button, something even 3D Mario games don’t have. Even getting past that, Lost World is a mediocre platformer that ranges from a game to downright frustrating

D2DEF762-9BC4-4695-93C6-560008F0410D.jpeg

2 hours ago, A Peep said:

”why Lost World so low?” - what makes Sonic special, what made him a mascot, what made him second to Mario was his speed and Lost World messes with the controls so much that it makes his defining feature limited to a button, something even 3D Mario games don’t have.

Why is this such a bad thing...?

Is it a bad thing?

Its addition to the game affects the quality exactly 0%.

3D Mario games do have a run button (3 of them even), that didn't have anything to do with stuff to begin with, but here ya go.

3D Mario games that have a run button usually have them as a necessity as to accommodate different types of controllers with more binary input methods like the Wii Remote. Sonic Lost World made no such accommodation so it's harder to justify. 

That only applies to one of the 3.

The other 2 being DS games and have no such controller options.

3D land and 3D world were the games with a run button iirc, but they are specifically designed after the 2D games 

The run button works, I have little problem with it in gameplay (apart from how Sonic will just speed up if you turn him and that running in unimportant especially with that spindash), it’s just so pointless. To give the game some props, the parkour gameplay honestly looked pretty interesting and could’ve been great with better level design. The platforming and exploration is decent and there are a few okay levels (the first level, the rail grinding level, the mach speed level) and of course, the OST is pretty good. It’s just that the controls feel clustered due to the amount of moves Sonic has, a majority of the levels are either boring (the dessert level) or frustrating (all of frozen factory), the story is probably the worse in the entire series, the art design feels like Sonic CD cranked up to 11 and none of the wisps are fun, even with regular controls. 

The run button thing still annoys me, but that barely scratches the surface on what made this game bad and I shouldn’t of made it my main argument for why I dislike Lost World

Honestly, my biggest issue with Sonic's controls in Lost World is how inconsistent they are.

He moves faster going from left to right than he does going forward and backwards, and his jumping carries little momentum no matter how fast you're going.

There's no sense of acceleration, you either move at a snail's pace or you have to use the run button to get any type of speed.

I don't feel it was a bad idea on paper, but it's still retains a lot of issues I've had with the modern games in how Sonic controls.

There's no sense of acceleration,

Ah, so it's just Sonic Heroes again but with the push of a button.

11 hours ago, A Peep said:

I did the tier list thing with games, so I might as well explain myself for more unpopular opinions.

”rush adventure over rush 1?” - they’re both pretty close to each other but Rush Adventure feels more refined and has better level design than Rush, even with padded sailing.

”why 06 over Heroes?” - I’ve already discussed my distaste for Heroes (page 268) but 06, while having sensitive controls, still felt more precise than Heroes, I also feel that the level design felt open and had multiple paths that somewhat rewarded you for exploration in some levels. Not calling 06 good at all, but I can name more good points about than Heroes

”why Lost World so low?” - what makes Sonic special, what made him a mascot, what made him second to Mario was his speed and Lost World messes with the controls so much that it makes his defining feature limited to a button, something even 3D Mario games don’t have. Even getting past that, Lost World is a mediocre platformer that ranges from a game to downright frustrating

D2DEF762-9BC4-4695-93C6-560008F0410D.jpeg

Well if you're making one, I'm making one. 1059841439_SonicGames.thumb.png.5d44bfde7196e77b78528c8be8085ee4.png

49 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Well if you're making one, I'm making one. 1059841439_SonicGames.thumb.png.5d44bfde7196e77b78528c8be8085ee4.png

Why do you like Generations but not Colors?

17 hours ago, Jack at Home said:

Let's go!

my-image.jpg

So I gotta ask, anyone know which one this is?

While the Lost World setup was problematic, I do think it was a shame they didn't try to fix it up instead of just giving up and going back to the boost formula (that I'm kinda sick of now). I mean they already made some minor beneficial tweaks to the controls through its updates, like not having to switch controls to use Wisps. I kinda want a relatively slower more platform centric game now (maybe ditch the Wisps for a while too, they're becoming like the excess playable characters were last era, we don't need them forced on us ALL THE TIME).

I think I might be in the unpopular opinion by saying I don't really like most of Spaz's cover art on the Archie series. The attention to detail is commendable but it was slopped on so excessively that it made the pictures hard to figure out, like an art puzzle. it didn't help that his posing and compositions were often also arbitrary and weird and he was among the artists that tended to give a lot of the non-SEGA cast excessive muscular detail, sometimes even AFTER the redesigning to make it more uniform with Uekawa's work.

340?cb=20090329095535

Nice concept but really sore on the eyes. And what the hell is Dulcy's pose there?

On 4/24/2020 at 1:54 PM, batson said:

Why do you like Generations but not Colors?

I guess it comes down to better level design and less padding. Generations would be insufferable if it forced you to play every side mission to progress the story. The vector music note tennis would have risen to memetic infamy.

And it avoids the pitfalls of having a dumb stupid story by having... no story. I mean I can't hate it if it isn't there so that's a plus... I guess...

3 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Nice concept but really sore on the eyes. And what the hell is Dulcy's pose there?

She's struggling or putting major effort into flying.