Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She's struggling or putting major effort into flying.

I get that but it's executed and angled in the most ugly and awkward way possible.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all the times I've finished SA2 Shadow's 'death' has never sat right with me as a plot point. I think it's just because death = redemption doesn't sit well with me as a trope regardless of how it's used. It'd be much more interesting if a character who made mistakes was forced to grapple with them in the long term,  not just get a free pass out of dealing with them and retroactively treated as a hero. It can be impactful in some cases but Shadow is more or less complicit in a genocide attempt and the reasons he changes his mind or shows mercy to others are a bit silly(He saves Rouge because apparently he can't let this sweet girl die but seemed to have planned to kill everyone anyway in the long term.) It becomes harder to buy the others honoring him outright in that sense, but I guess Sonic is the type to see the good in everyone considering Eggman is still kicking. 

I'm overall happy Shadow didn't stay dead and glad we got at least a little bit of self reflection before they put him on the shelf.

• Thumbs Up 2

He was soooo torn between letting Rouge die and losing the Chaos Emeralds which were necessary for his plan.

Tough call.

I am going to say that, honestly, while Sonic 06 is a pile of garbage, the CG cutscenes at least make up for it most of the time (same with Unleashed). Aside from the obvious one, the CG cutscenes in both games at least had passion.
Speaking of, I honestly think that the English actors for most of the dark ages Sonic games evolved as they actually started to get good before we got Chris from Resident Evil as a jokey and self-aware Sonic. Jason really started to get good too, at least he is fine and doing great recently with most other stuff he is a part of.

Yeah I mean it's strange because the story frames him as feeling bad for Rouge and drawing a direct comparison between her and Maria when he would have had to go down there to get the chaos emeralds anyway.

Sonic isn't really good at doing anti heroes, and tends to just simplify them as erratic characters with a morality clause. X and Free Riders were especially bad at this. Shadow and Rouge could be total jerks or even downright evil one minute and then the next....they're not, and everyone's cool with it.

While I'm still on the fence about execution, I do admit to liking how Archie read Silver the riot act over his more dubious actions and forced him to relook his whole approach. He realised he was actually an asshole in how he went about things and had a legit crisis on conscience, with his making amends feeling legit, while games Silver is just shown he targeted the wrong guy and teams up with Sonic after a brief 'not really an apology'. Knuckles and Shadow's grudge post-reboot also worked well with this sort of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because its a video game series for children that runs on Black and White morality :V

That's not an excuse mind you, but I'm pretty sure the creators don't give as much thought to that type of stuff. These characters are written to be appealing to preteens and young children first, and so they're designed with very superficial elements and focused on getting to the next big adventure first and foremost. 

That being said, I can't help but feel like Shadow actually dying and the one who appears in Heroes should have been an actual robot. Would be interesting to see how this Shadow android adjusts to being someone who already died, but with none of the baggage.  You could even have him struggle with the fact that he has to love with the original Shadow's sins. 

I couldn't find the same one, but I did decide to make a tierlist after finding one that I quite liked for a particular reason.

download.thumb.gif.48f5ffb8572076e3c1200a76d741f88e.gif

Whoever made this went the extra mile to have every character popping out of a ring Looney Tunes style. 

7 hours ago, StaticMania said:

He was soooo torn between letting Rouge die and losing the Chaos Emeralds which were necessary for his plan.

Tough call.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

Yeah I mean it's strange because the story frames him as feeling bad for Rouge and drawing a direct comparison between her and Maria when he would have had to go down there to get the chaos emeralds anyway.

Forgive me if I'm mixing something up, but aren't the Emeralds supposed to be indestructible?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Forgive me if I'm mixing something up, but aren't the Emeralds supposed to be indestructible?

Probably, whenever they power a robot they always survive the explosion.

But even so, the SA2 game for some reason acts like saving Rouge and avenging Maria are 2 separate goals. Shadow might not even know the emeralds will make it through an entire island exploding, but he knows how much time is left.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Probably, whenever they power a robot they always survive the explosion.

But even so, the SA2 game for some reason acts like saving Rouge and avenging Maria are 2 separate goals. Shadow might not even know the emeralds will make it through an entire island exploding, but he knows how much time is left.

I mean, it sorta was. Assuming the Emeralds could survive the explosion, he could just let her die in the explosion and then retrieve them off what's left--she had outlived her usefulness outside of having Eggman's radar.

I was thinking about character interactions that haven't and some that this point most likely never will.

More characters should dislike one another

12 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I was thinking about character interactions that haven't and some that this point most likely never will.

Nyeh, probably. Depends on the who and why though.

20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Another thing I noticed replaying SA2 is that Shadow and Rouge's last scene is them trashing eachother. They should have kept that energy in the next game.

Honestly, I think Heroes is like the only example in Game Sonic of where the teams of characters are shown as having anything like conflicts of interests or mutual contempt leading to violence between them without either side outright being villains like in Adventure 2.

Most of those conflicts ended up being pretty contrived tho. I'm all for characters being more hostile to each other, but there needs to be some level of reasoning for it too. 

That shit between Knuckles and Shadow in the comics was pretty A+ tho, we need more of that. 

Contrived sure. But to be honest, one can say that it's hard not for notable conflict between the non-villan cast to be contrived when more or less everyone is ultimately a "good" superhero type (even Rouge acts more like an extra flirty Black Widow type rather than a career criminal) and there's no politics or religion to divide the cast. It's telling that the IDW comics need to play up Shadow's hostility towards Sonic and Sonic's "pureness" so they can be in conflict over Mr. Tinker.

Oops. Ignore that other stuff.

52 minutes ago, Almar said:

Honestly, I think Heroes is like the only example in Game Sonic of where the teams of characters are shown as having anything like conflicts of interests or mutual contempt leading to violence between them without either side outright being villains like in Adventure 2.

19 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Most of those conflicts ended up being pretty contrived tho. I'm all for characters being more hostile to each other, but there needs to be some level of reasoning for it too. 

That shit between Knuckles and Shadow in the comics was pretty A+ tho, we need more of that. 

Also, Rivals.

But yeah. Generally speaking, they did make some sense on paper--the Chaotix being suspicious of the Antihero team because look at them as well as Rouge assuming they're after the treasure, Amy fooling around with Sonic while Cream and Big actually inquire about Froggy & Chocola, and Team Rose genuinely getting aggravated because Espio sounds like a friggin trafficker. The execution was rushed and in Team Dark vs Sonic's case, kinda aimless.

2 minutes ago, Almar said:

Contrived sure. But to be honest, one can say that it's hard not for notable conflict between the non-villan cast to be contrived when more or less everyone is ultimately a "good" superhero type (even Rouge acts more like an extra flirty Black Widow type rather than a career criminal) and there's no politics or religion to divide the cast. It's telling that the IDW comics need to play up Shadow's hostility towards Sonic and Sonic's "pureness" so they can be in conflict over Mr. Tinker.

Yea, the simplicity of the series kind of works against any meaningful conflict without some level of contrivance. But you can do something with basic personality clashes.

I don't know if this is unpopular enough to warrant, but I was actually more invested in the story in Heroes than in the story of any main series game of the past ten years.

All that really says is that you were more invested in seeing the PLOT TWIST revealed villain who's only there at the final boss Metal Sonic lose than you were in seeing Eggman, Infinite or the D6 lose.

22 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

All that really says is that you were more invested in seeing the PLOT TWIST revealed villain who's only there at the final boss Metal Sonic lose than you were in seeing Eggman, Infinite or the D6 lose.

Actually Mr Mind Reader, I was also intrigued by certain other elements, like the idea that Shadow was a fake. And sure, the game ended up not giving us an answer regrading that question, but obviously I didn't know that that would be the case when playing through the game for the first time. There was also the exciting build-up regarding Metal Sonic progressively copying the data of various characters and what kind of being he would end up becoming. I remember hearding the line "Chaos data... has been copied" and being all "oooh this is gonna be badass!".

The plot you said...?

I mean, that's 2 things but since Shadow died and Metal Sonic came back...they were big thing.

Metal Sonoc.

7 hours ago, batson said:

I don't know if this is unpopular enough to warrant, but I was actually more invested in the story in Heroes than in the story of any main series game of the past ten years.

Dang, you really wanted to see Froggy and Chocola found, huh.

But I agree with you to an extent. Seeing how everything ties together is always fun.