Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Right here is the thing with Sally. I can list off a very multi faceted personality for her from her appearances in the comics.

She is meticulous and cautious, but prone to acting on emotion. She is good as a mediator but sarcastic and bad tempered with people who don't cooperate. She can't tolerate arrogance over physical prowess but can be just as bull headed and overassured of her own logical and ethical prowess, to the point of sometimes being accidentally condescending and self righteous. Control is Sally's comfort zone, being dignified and elegant when she has it but cracking and panicking very quickly when she doesn't. She is never outright selfish in her need for control however, she is very protective of her friends and most of her actions are driven by wanting to help, she does however sometimes follow it to a fault and will sometimes conflict heavily with those who fight her attempts, even willing to blackmail authorities to leave things to her choosing. Perhaps because of this however Sally shows quick humility and is very sympathetic and gentle (if not tearfully remorseful) to those at their lowest, especially if they are sorry for one of their follies or she herself realises she has made a mistake. Sally often wants to be pragmatic and logical but ultimately cares too much and makes very personal and emotional decisions. Basically Sally is a meticulous opposite to the spontaneous Sonic in approach, but in a way they are VERY similar in quirks and hubris.

There is the traits for a wonderfully fleshed out character, if not THE most fleshed character in all of Sonic canon, one that is very conflicting and multi faceted in action but 'glued together' properly could still feel cohesive and developed. But the issue is that it's not the personality the writers THINK they come up for her, they insist the personality they spell in bios and exposition is the one that is canon, not the one they instinctively write her as being, which leads her to being an unfocused and unsympathetic mess of a character. This is one of the most frustrating and dumbfounding concepts I have ever seen, that the means for a brilliant character is right in the writers hands and for two decades they refuse to even accept the core basics of it exist.

The other Freedom Fighters feel rather similar, there is some sort of basic archetype there but the writers don't want to touch it, only they don't even get as far as getting a different agency designated onto them. Lots of Sonic characters have a 'depending on the writer' feel to them, but I still feel like they have things that make them cohesive at least in the different eras and canons (eg. Boom Knuckles is very different from other Knuckles but I can understand that character standalone). The Freedom Fighters seldom feel like they set up flaws and agencies consistently enough to feel like one personality is vibrant and dominant enough to make them work.

Very often characters are formed by the writers clicking traits and roles that come to them by instinct through time, eg. Knuckles' guardian shtick and mischeviousness slowly withered in the series, but a lot of his quirks like his temper, bone headedness and hubris towards Sonic developed and formed a core that they keep coming back to. The Freedom Fighters feel like the writers in denial of what personality they keep coming back to and trying desperately to establish it as something else in-universe. I could buy it if they could at least stick to their guns with their new characterisations, but again the instinctive ones keep rearing their head but with neither getting the development they need to work. They tried to make Sally a more relaxed heads-on type character in the reboot but ultimately the opinionated control freak side of her that they hated to spotlight was still prevalent, just not getting fleshed out properly.

Like let's take the games bios insisting Sonic has a temper (something he sporadically shows in the games at best), now imagine the games to this day trying to constantly insist that this temper defines Sonic and not the set of quirks that came to them in the games stories themselves as they went on. The story and the character would be completely undercooked and inconsistent.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I want to know what her worst infraction is. 

Well I think most fans know what that is. :P

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

Well I think most fans know what that is. :P

I don' t know. Explain it to me like I'm six. 

Just now, Wraith said:

I don' t know. Explain it to me like I'm six. 

Okay I'll try to do this....

*ahem*

When she did a no-no thing with her hand on Sonic's face. :P

Just now, E-122-Psi said:

Okay I'll try to do this....

*ahem*

When she did a no-no thing with her hand on Sonic's face. :P

I was hoping for something post reboot or even post Ian takeover since that's the Sally I've been discussing. If you want those uglier moments and impulses to be re implemented into her character then that's fair, but it's another discussion.

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I was hoping for something post reboot or even post Ian takeover since that's the Sally I've been discussing. If you want those uglier moments and impulses to be re implemented into her character then that's fair, but it's another discussion.

The slap was getting too ugly, even if it had the right execution, it was a soap opera mess. I don't mind the idea of Sally's relationship with Sonic hitting it's breaking point because she is over protective however. The slap is sadly the nearest to getting that far, if perhaps only because the repercussions were controversial enough that the writers decided that she HAD to make amends over it.

The thing is though, Ian's Sally still kind feels like they keep going to that ugly side. It feels like every writer still kinda writes Sally as a closet temperamental control freak, just they don't like putting that characterisation on the spot and want the humble straight man side of her to be the consistent one. Sally being 'not so different' from Sonic and her impulsive comrades is a recurrent thing in the comics (eg. mediating Monkey Khan's temper and then blowing her top with Fiona in front of him) but those dots are never joined, she's never undermined for it so it doesn't feel like a proper humanised trait. Saying 'well it wasn't top priority for the plot' feels spurious, you do these things with them in the first place then surely it is priority to develop the cast through them, otherwise it's admitting they're just interchangeable pawns to whatever the story wants from them.

The early comics and SatAm were nearest to being upfront about Sally's occasional pomposity and temper, though even then they don't really call out her hypocritical tactics, that 'not so different' element to her isn't quite in-universe. Ben Hurst insisted in an interview that Sally was an opposite to Sonic, a mediator to his impulses that always logically persuaded him, the detail of her sometimes doing so in a snide or short fused manner or sometimes falling to the same impulses herself is NOT mentioned. That is not something that represents Sally to the writers, it's just something that peppers the dialogue and plot a little maybe.

2 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

The thing is though, Ian's Sally still kind feels like they keep going to that ugly side. It feels like every writer still kinda writes Sally as a closest temperamental control freak, just they don't like putting that characterisation on the spot and want the humble straight man side of her to be the consistent one. Sally being 'not so different' from Sonic and her impulsive comrades is a recurrent thing in the comics (eg. mediating Monkey Khan's temper and then blowing her top with Fiona in front of him) but those dots are never joined, she's never undermined for it so it doesn't feel like a proper humanised trait. Saying 'well it wasn't top priority for the plot' feels spurious, you do these things with them in the first place then surely it is priority to develop the cast through them.

And like I said earlier I dont get how she's being a control freak in the examples you posted.

If it's a direction you want to take her to make her more interesting to you, that's absolutely fair. One of my problems with Sonic in general is that they don't explore the character's flaws enough. 

This just...isnt really a flaw she has in my reading. She goes into mom mode in regards to cream but like half the cast does that without meaning any harm or without it getting called out. 

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

And like I said earlier I dont get how she's being a control freak in the examples you posted.

If it's a direction you want to take her to make her more interesting to you, that's absolutely fair. One of my problems with Sonic in general is that they don't explore the character's flaws enough. 

This just...isnt really a flaw she has in my reading. She goes into mom mode in regards to cream but like half the cast does that without meaning any harm or without it getting called out. 

As said the Cream thing is a far more subtle case, it's just a glaring one because they went through all the motions to do that sort of parable and then DIDN'T use it in the end, which was weird. It's like the Drood Henge episode of SatAm, the plot was busy enough that they didn't need to have Tails vindicate himself in front of overprotective Sally in the end, but they knew it would give a more character driven weight to the plot if they did so. Why waste the potential?

But I do think Sally's well meaning but control obsessed nature is still a subtle 'core' detail about her.

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

As said the Cream thing is a far more shrewd case, it's just a glaring one because they went through all the motions to do that sort of parable and then DIDN'T use it in the end. But I do think Sally's well meaning but control obsessed nature is still a subtle 'core' detail about her.

I dont really see it. Itd be an interesting trait to dig into but it's not a  trait I think she really...has? 

The most I can say about Sally is that she can think too rationally or put too much pressure on herself to get it all right. Pretty mild as far as negative traits goes but Ian seems to put way more emphasis on the casts positive traits and relationships more than their negative ones anyway. Maybe that makes them less interesting, but after the constant cynicism in Boom and flaccid  non-development in almost every modern Sonic I find it kinda refreshing going back through these books. 

I admit that maybe it is because it is the idealised take on Sally for me. I tend to click to characters in animated form more than comic and written form, and Sally's pomposity was more of an intentional thing in Satam if still underplayed. Similarly I had problems NOT seeing Rotor as an adorkable geek, despite only the pilot and early comics really taking that route, though the passive take in the comics, while far blander to me, didn't really debunk this headcanon for me enough to buy they had a different approach to him now, and even in the post reboot his more upfront moments just feel more like odd forced arbitrary out of character moments than say, Tails' more egotistical personality in Boom. I don't really know why, I can accept wide eyed dope Knuckles but can't unsee Rotor as a lovable dork.

I get the comics want warmer characterisations but the thing is I don't feel they can accomplish that without dealing with the negatives sometimes. They got they couldn't just sweep Sonic and Tails' conflict under the rug for example (even if the execution was debatable) and with reluctance they did have Sally show remorse over the slap. A character still needs to have their flaws limelighted to make their positive ones more distinct and prevalent, otherwise the latter traits will just be constantly tainted by the unintentionally unsympathetic air the character has.

Ultimately Sally means well but keeps having a hypocritical air to her and the plot has been affected by that more than a few times. It is REALLY hard to shake off that trait of her as just a one off mistake on the writers' part to just forget about when they keep doing it, like Sally sometimes being a self righteous bull shitter is kind of an instinctive thing they do with her but they are never willing to undermine her over.

I actually think Boom is MORE endearing in its cast handling because of this upfront treatment, that in spite of the more cynical plots, the characters are still humbled over their worse qualities and they will still do the right thing and look out for each other. That they are allowed a sympathetic fallible air at their worst that the comics keeps denying them. Amy is just as smug and controlling as Sally is sometimes, but they play it deliberately, she is called out on it and thus they give sympathetic establishment and treatment over it. Even at her most unlikeable she at least usually gets a comeuppance for it.

10 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I actually think Boom is MORE endearing in its cast handling because of this upfront treatment, that in spite of the more cynical plots, the characters are still humbled over their worse qualities and they will still do the right thing and look out for each other. That they are allowed a sympathetic fallible air at their worst that the comics keeps denying them. Amy is just as smug and controlling as Sally is sometimes, but they play it deliberately, she is called out on it and thus they give sympathetic establishment and treatment over it.

I'm all for exploring the ugliest sides of these characters and even doing it through humor but it doesn't really feel in the spirit of the series to me if nothing positive really comes from it. It's kind of a balancing act that only the earlier Sonic games and some of the Archie/IDW nails for me.

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'm all for exploring the ugliest sides of these characters and even doing it through humor but it doesn't really feel in the spirit of the series to me if nothing positive really comes from it. It's kind of a balancing act that only the earlier Sonic games and some of the Archie/IDW nails for me.

I fail to see how nothing positive comes from it. Most of Boom's stories are parables, they realise their bad qualities and try to rectify them (about the only character I remember who usually didn't was Sticks, though even then her bad qualities were rarely as detrimental to the plot as Sally and were mostly just harmless gags outside odd exceptions). They gain humanity from accepting they have a bad side in the first place, something the Archie cast struggle to do, even when their flaws are just as prevalent. A character who is flawed but is NEVER made to redeem from it or even acknowledge it is far less sympathetic than one who is (or in Knuckles' case, at least TRIES).

Boom's cast if anything feel warmer because in spite of their wackier side, they are left quite self conscious about their actions hurting other people and are not allowed to suffer the same complacency as the comics cast sometimes do.

If these sort of uglier sides are still gonna exist anyway, it's better to TRY pulling off the balancing act than not at all and letting it go haywire.

It is important to note that Sally and especially Rotor(with the intended, but as far we can tell not as total additions of Antoine and Bunnie) were effectively different character wise in the reboot than they were in preboot, even if it comes from the same source(SATAM and maybe its Series Bible) and is in the same comic out of universe. They were keeping the baseline of what the characters were, jettisoning what didn't really work anymore(ergo, what they couldn't use), and added new stuff to make them into more complete active characters.

Sally was basically the design they were probably gonna use once the Mecha Sally arc was over, with more action capabilities(if still reigned in),her similarities to Sonic extending accordingly(which is half of what Spark of Life was going for), and her father Nigel being around and perfectly capable of running the kingdom/archipelago while she's out helping protect the world. Her relationship with Nicole was also being expanded on through having her since childhood(don't remember when she got her otherwise), the backup story of them bonding still being there(as Tania del Rio still worked at Archie and signed her approvals), and eventually going down a road where they may have grown beyond being close friends.

Rotor was a buffer Riders inspired design with his previous fascination for weaponry among other designs in tact(not sure where those fall in regards to the rights, but I'll assume a blessing was given or it was established earlier), but he was also being specialized in that and other mundane constructions over at least aerial transports, having a tendency to geek out(was this a thing before?), and of ocurse having a less idealized/normal upbringing under Tundra alongside a more pragmatic bigger picture first mindset  that would've developed into a more antiheroic/grey character arc down the road.

I mean, there it is again though. When do Sally's personal failings have a domino effect like the average Sonic Boom episode does? It's just not comparable to me beyond personal preference for what types of stories/writing you like

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

It is important to note that Sally and especially Rotor(with the intended, but as far we can tell not as total additions of Antoine and Bunnie) were effectively different character wise in the reboot than they were in preboot, even if it comes from the same source(SATAM and maybe its Series Bible) and is in the same comic out of universe. They were keeping the baseline of what the characters were, jettisoning what didn't really work anymore(ergo, what they couldn't use), and added new stuff to make them into more complete active characters.

Sally was basically the design they were probably gonna use once the Mecha Sally arc was over, with more action capabilities(if still reigned in),her similarities to Sonic extending accordingly(which is half of what Spark of Life was going for), and her father Nigel being around and perfectly capable of running the kingdom/archipelago while she's out helping protect the world. Her relationship with Nicole was also being expanded on through having her since childhood(don't remember when she got her otherwise), the backup story of them bonding still being there(as Tania del Rio still worked at Archie and signed her approvals), and eventually going down a road where they may have grown beyond being close friends.

Rotor was a buffer Riders inspired design with his previous fascination for weaponry among other designs in tact(not sure where those fall in regards to the rights, but I'll assume a blessing was given or it was established earlier), but he was also being specialized in that and other mundane constructions over at least aerial transports, having a tendency to geek out(was this a thing before?), and of ocurse having a less idealized/normal upbringing under Tundra alongside a more pragmatic bigger picture first mindset  that would've developed into a more antiheroic/grey character arc down the road.

I get that, but as said, I had a harder time believing this new direction was tight and fleshed out enough to be real, though in Sally's case, it might just be because she still had all her designated hero excess leftover from the pre-reboot, and I could just not get to grips with this ultimate sweep under the rug.

Again maybe it's simply because I empathise more with animated than written characters.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I mean, there it is again though. When do Sally's personal failings have a domino effect like the average Sonic Boom episode does? It's just not comparable to me beyond personal preference for what types of stories/writing you like

I think that might be what he's getting at, but I wanna say there is one conflict or plot point that did get worse because of something she did, if indirectly.

29 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I tend to click to characters in animated form more than comic and written form,

5 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Again maybe it's simply because I empathise more with animated than written characters.

You're not the only person I've seen express that and there is inherent truth to it.

it might just be because she still had all her designated hero excess leftover from the pre-reboot, and I could just not get to grips with this ultimate sweep under the rug.

Yeah, I figured.

I get that, but as said, I had a harder time believing this new direction was tight and fleshed out enough to be real,

Well that's a matter of time and intent versus what we had to go on and interpret.

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Well let's take the final arcs of the pre-reboot:

* The Iron Dominion arc is chained off by her and the others becoming complacent around the Iron Queen and Snively, failing to realise the potential threat of a technomage around NICOLE until it is too late (she does lament this mistake, but the fact this is Sally making the same mistake she constantly lambasts Sonic for, being overconfident and not taking precautions, ISN'T lampshaded).

* The rest of the arc is her trying to band help for the situation, with the side arc of her mediating Monkey Khan's temper (I'm also kind of getting a feel of her being driven to boys she can 'fix' from this relationship pattern really). Later they are forced to team up with Destructix, with Sally almost ruining the bargain when it's her turn to lose her temper for once. Again this hypocrisy and role reversal ISN'T lampshaded, in fact everyone else thinks it was cool.

* After the arc is over, Sonic and Sally become complacent AGAIN, failing to assure the still healing population they are not letting the same mistake happen again and deciding to party instead. When Mina shakes things up and leave NICOLE heartbroken, Sally confronts her and the tension gets worse. Despite this Sonic and Sally decide to dither further and go on a date (keeping in mind NICOLE is still in emotional turmoil here), and by the time they can be bothered to try and diffuse things the main climax strikes and Sally is shortly roboticized.

Now, I'm not saying Sally looks evil or anything in these cases (if anything I could argue she shares a lot of these errors and hypocrisies with the other Freedom Fighters, especially Sonic) but again these moments keep putting her in central stage and despite the actions correlating to her own self contradicting behaviour especially, she is never called out and developed through it. They never join the dots. Sally's behaviour has supposedly been consistent the whole time, despite contradicting herself and her ethics towards others constantly. Sally has done nothing but bull shit over her 'calm and responsible' approach the entire duration and she is NEVER made to realise that, with Mecha Sally feeling like the final and ultimate 'get out of jail free' card.

So your problem is that you don't feel like her flaws are presented like actual flaws? Well what's your solution to that? For more people to call her out and then what?

18 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

So your problem is that you don't feel like her flaws are presented like actual flaws? Well what's your solution to that? For more people to call her out and then what?

Well again, see how Sonic Boom does Amy or MLP does Twilight Sparkle (though admittedly probably more nuanced). Use these flaws the same way perhaps but use the premise to inflict parables and have that inflict some quirks and chemistry into her. Again SatAm Sally was already halfway there since she was intentionally pompous. I mean it was carefully nuanced, she wasn't Daffy Duck or anything (that was Antoine's job :P) but they were willing to undermine her, she just needed some light 'well YOU'RE the one to talk moments', something like Spark of Life but TOWARDS her instead of FROM her.

As said the weird thing is the nearest to a good character study for Sally for me was that SEA3ON Christmas Carol fan comic. It flanderized Sally of course, she was playing SCROOGE, but it was a case of all her key vices being thrown in front of her, her pathos from their well intent and how she wanted to redeem from them, even if the plot was expectanly silly and comical as well (hell maybe that's WHY, Sally is a dignified character, so being the butt of a joke sometimes will of course humanise her).

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Well that's a matter of time and intent versus what we had to go on and interpret.

I think it also might be the aforementioned issue that the Freedom Fighters' quirks don't really have a primary effect on their agency and roles that often. 

Like Antoine still had smidgeons of being cowardly or pompous, but they're pretty much just a dressing, something they put in odd gags and what not. You could redraw a panel to abolish them and it wouldn't change the flow of the story at all most of the time. There were no delusions of grandeur plots anymore, so it felt like that wasn't really key to his personality anymore.

I think this might be why Sally's well meaning hubris still seemed like the prevailing personality, since ultimately this was the one that kept affecting her agency in the comics, intentionally or not.

17 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Well again, see how Sonic Boom does Amy or MLP does Twilight Sparkle (though admittedly probably more nuanced). Use these flaws the same way perhaps but use the premise to inflict parables and have that inflict some quirks and chemistry into her. Again SatAm Sally was already halfway there since she was intentionally pompous. I mean it was carefully nuanced, she wasn't Daffy Duck or anything (that was Antoine's job :P) but they were willing to undermine her, she just needed some light 'well YOU'RE the one to talk moments', something like Spark of Life but TOWARDS her instead of FROM her.

As said the weird thing is the nearest to a good character study for Sally for me was that SEA3ON Christmas Carol fan comic. It flanderized Sally of course, she was playing SCROOGE, but it was a case of all her key vices being thrown in front of her, her pathos from their well intent and how she wanted to redeem from them, even if the plot was expectanly silly and comical as well (hell maybe that's WHY, Sally is a dignified character, so being the butt of a joke sometimes will of course humanise her).

It kind of feels like you want her to have more cynical, "pride before fall" moments. That's a completely fair take to have, but I don't see how stories that don't do this are the abstract failures that you're making them out to be.

Not every story is about deconstructing or breaking down a character to build them up. Some stories are just about the characters getting shit done and are not really meant to be explorative character studies.

20 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

It kind of feels like you want her to have more cynical, "pride before fall" moments. That's a completely fair take to have, but I don't see how stories that don't do this are the abstract failures that you're making them out to be.

Not every story is about deconstructing or breaking down a character to build them up. Some stories are just about the characters getting shit done and are not really meant to be explorative character studies.

I mean, yes I get that, not every story can be a parable, and it would just be detrimental doing it to the SAME character, but again if the majority of the character's failings keep coming down to hubris and hypocrisy, wouldn't it make sense to have those flaws be taken down a peg and humanised WHEN the story is using them as a pivot?

I mean making the large bulk of SatAm's second season hubris parables for Sonic wasn't a great idea, but it was still a lesson Sonic HAD to learn SOMETIMES. He was arrogant and reckless. How could he NOT have that limelighted in his characterisation? Can you imagine how insufferable he'd be if it wasn't? Having him screw up by being reckless and the story not joining the dots WHY that screw up occurred is the same issue with Sally, it's just events happening with no character dynamic.

You have a character that's more prideful than they deserve to be, they generally need to be humbled the odd time to keep sympathetic. I'm not saying Sally has to be over the top egomaniacal, but it is something that is better played openly than just pretending it's not part of her and letting her get away with it all the time.

14 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

I mean, yes I get that, not every story can be a parable, and it would just be detrimental doing it to the SAME character, but again if the majority of the character's failings keep coming down to hubris and hypocrisy, wouldn't it make sense to have those flaws be taken down a peg and humanised WHEN the story is using them as a pivot?

I mean making the large bulk of SatAm's second season hubris parables for Sonic wasn't a great idea, but it was still a lesson Sonic HAD to learn SOMETIMES. He was arrogant and reckless. How could he NOT have that limelighted in his characterisation? Can you imagine how insufferable he'd be if it wasn't? Having him screw up by being reckless and the story not joining the dots WHY that screw up occurred is the same issue with Sally, it's just events happening with no character dynamic.

You have a character that's more prideful than they deserve to be, they generally need to be humbled the odd time to keep sympathetic. I'm not saying Sally has to be over the top egomaniacal, but it is something that is better played openly than just pretending it's not part of her and letting her get away with it all the time.

It honestly depends on the type of story you're trying to tell. Sometimes, characters will do stupid shit to keep the plot moving and nobody will call attention to it. It's not particularly good writing I'll admit, but it's not as bad you're making it out to be.

Even in Sonic Boom, which you praise as inherently superior, does this. The writers didn't have any real story arcs in mind, they just wanted to have the cast do stupid shit. Hence why everything just resets at the end of each episode with no lasting consequences. It's really not as clever as you make it sound, at least to me.

And this only holds true if Sally's character just rubs you the wrong way in general and you just want to see her suffer consequences for it. I get it, because seeing bad things happen to characters with traits you perceive as negative is cathartic. I was never personally bothered by Sally's character, so I can't really understand this hate that you have for the writers for not breaking her down more.

At worst, she was just boring to me but I don't feel she's as bad a character as you're making it to be.

It's not just 'wanting to see Sally pay at last', it's wanting to see that side of her fleshed out and humanised, for them to 'join the dots' and make her a more cohesive character. Sonic Boom is not going to win emmys, I certainly agree, but it gets this point, it gets how to make character studies and the personalities to feel important besides as plot devices, which adds to pathos and vibrancy (which would rectify the aforementioned 'boring' problem), and just generally taints their more positive qualities less. It feels strange the comics don't want to do that and yet want each character to feel like they have their own story even more so than Boom.

Because the comics tend to focus on story arcs that aren't character driven. Because they come out on a monthly basis and have to keep readers interested. Not many people are going to be interested in seeing a deconstructive character piece.

It's simply a difference in the medium. Boom can afford to focus on mundane, character driven narratives but comics can't, at least for an extended period of time.

At this point, this just comes down to a preference for more character driven narratives over plot driven ones.

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Because the comics tend to focus on story arcs that aren't character driven. Because they come out on a monthly basis and have to keep readers interested. Not many people are going to be interested in seeing a deconstructive character piece.

It's simply a difference in the medium. Boom can afford to focus on mundane, character driven narratives but comics can't, at least for an extended period of time.

At this point, this just comes down to a preference for more character driven narratives over plot driven ones.

Again though, why AVOID the potential if your plot does everything to set it up anyway? Why have a character whose dynamic involves being an opposite to the main character, have them do something 'not so different' and then NOT use that to develop a sign of mutuality between them in-universe, especially since for the longest time you wanted them to be a freaking believable item? Why go out of your way NOT to do this thing just on the grounds that's not the tone we originally aimed for, even when the story could feel more fully realised and fluid?

Again if they don't want Sally to be developed as a hypocrite they shouldn't MAKE her one in the first place.