Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

On 5/15/2020 at 5:23 AM, batson said:

How do you feel about Heroes soundtrack? Personally I feel that the soundtracks of SA, SA2 and Heroes forms a sort of holy trinity among 3D Sonic game soundtracks that no later games in the series have been able to match.

So I finally got around to listening to Heroes. And Sonic 06, multiple times actually, including last night. 

(I will do a personal ranking of all the mainline sonic titles soundtracks at some point. It will probably range from C- to S+ tier because I can't think of one that was worse than C.)

If I had to rerank the recent 3D soundtracks I've listened to: SA2 before recently was probably A- tier for me, possibly B+. But that has now bumped up to A+, possibly S- tier. Again, rouge's stuff is just flat out excellent but I think I underrated it all around anyway. 

Unleashed is probably S- as well. Forgot I listened to it again a few weeks back. I can't put one over the other between it and SA2, it's difficult. If forced to I'd pick Unleashed but it's extremely close. 

Heroes for me is relatively unchanged (grand metropolis is nice, and the egg fleet levels). I had it B+ tier before and I probably still do, maybe A-. There's no bad tracks, again, but I don't find very many standouts compared to the others. I think the producers went for a more atmospheric feel like the classic games did in general but the tracks aren't as memorable for some reason. Most anyway. 

Now Sonic 06....*holds stomach to battle nausea*

I hate this game so much for what it did to the franchise and how disappointed I was in it after the first super sonic trailer in 05. The only Sonic game I truly irrationally and rationally hate. As hard as it is for me to be objective and rational about Sonic 3K, it is equally difficult for me to do this about 06, in the reverse way. 

Ugh.... But this soundtrack is truly awesome. S tier for sure. Right up there with the best in the series... 

*vomits and curls on the floor*

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think every Sonic soundtrack up to like Lost World is spectacular, like S+ tier stuff, and even then Lost World is only a slight downgrade. Hard for me to pick favorites when they all nail what they were going for.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I think every Sonic soundtrack up to like Lost World is spectacular, like S+ tier stuff, and even then Lost World is only a slight downgrade. Hard for me to pick favorites when they all nail what they were going for.

True, they're all very good. My rankings are just the games relative to each other. Any of the mainline sonic soundtracks would stand very favorably compared to titles outside the series. 

In terms of raw uniqueness Knuckles Chaotix did a lot with a comparatively simple soundfont. Makes it stand out a lot to me even though as a game I cant stand it.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know, at some point I started to think that my inexperience with other video game music genres made me think that I kind of overrated Sonic's OST a bit. But since I've delved into other franchises and gotten a taste of their music, I can definitely say this series music holds up extremely well as time passes on. 

Even if I think the current games are lacking a lot of appeal, I can't deny the soundtrack is still something worth listening to. Even Forces, for everything completely meh about it, it's soundtrack still is pretty good and does a lot to sell the atmosphere that the game attempted to go for. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had to rate my top 3 osts in the franchise it would go

1: Rise of Lyric 

2: Unleashed 

3: Black Knight

Of course, not all the games have good music, but good to know that it was just that one game.

17 minutes ago, Miles Storzillo said:

If I had to rate my top 3 osts in the franchise it would go

1: Rise of Lyric 

2: Unleashed 

3: Black Knight

Of course, not all the games have good music, but good to know that it was just that one game.

Rise of Lyric? Ah of course!

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Rise of Lyric? Ah of course!

Uh, what's that got to do with the music?  Though I suppose I should thank you, it gave me a good excuse to listen to the amazing music.  I freakin love atmospheric music.  Things like that just make me love the game even more.  Though it's still not the reigning king of music out of all games.

8 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

Uh, what's that got to do with the music?  Though I suppose I should thank you, it gave me a good excuse to listen to the amazing music.  I freakin love atmospheric music.  Things like that just make me love the game even more.  Though it's still not the reigning king of music out of all games.

Oh no, it's a nice track, I just immediate thought of what that track plays over.

I actually tried finding the original video of that scene from right when the game came out, but had no luck.

I can think of precisely one good track in the whole of RoL, and it was the Abandoned Research Facility for Knuckles and Amy.

The rest of the soundtrack was bland, forgettable and downright generic. I know that they were going for something much more cinematic and atmospheric that typical Sonic games, which gravitate much more towards contemporary pop or rock themes. But urgh, the end result was pretty rubbish. Especially that hyper-generic "epic" orchestrated theme tune. It was all pretty boring so I guess you can say that it fit the game pretty well from that perspective. I don't think that that's what they were going for however... RoL having a weak soundtrack is definitely a popular opinion that I agree with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn’t Mario x Rabbids do similar in regards to a “epic orchestra” ost? Kinda surprised Sonic couldn’t even match that, it’s a franchise known and often praised for its orchestral tunes and renditions. Colors being probably the king of it all

Because of how amazing the ost is I have an extremely hard time thinking of which are my absolute favorites, but after careful consideration...

0:24 especially sounds so badass

Never before has Sonic music sent such chills through me.  And this is just a level track

So ominous

And probably my favorite in the game

Please Sega, more atmospheric music from here on out.  Now if only Youtubers would post them to be more than 5 minutes long.

On 5/24/2020 at 12:34 AM, Moose the Cat said:

I'm increasingly convinced only way to properly do Sonic right is without the Sega license; the fans understand why they like Sonic more than Sega.

As in, the premise & cast of Sonic have so much more potential than Sega will ever be willing to realize. Imagine something like Sonic in the hands of the Adventure Time creators. Even the OK KO episode with Sonic & Tails guesting had more ideas than some of the game stories.

You say this as if Sega is the one writing all of these games, rather than a variety of writers with their own beliefs on how they should write Sonic.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:04 AM, UnknownByME said:

You say this as if Sega is the one writing all of these games, rather than a variety of writers with their own beliefs on how they should write Sonic.

My point is Sega manages the way the characters are controlled. The writers individual freedoms are limited to what Sega wants. Ian Flynn is having this issue on IDW

I think modern Knuckles looks better than classic Knuckles. Classic Knuckles long snout is kind of unattractive to me.

image.jpeg.1f7898254f7314fe5572b0267386272a.jpeg

31 minutes ago, batson said:

I think modern Knuckles looks better than classic Knuckles. Classic Knuckles long snout is kind of unattractive to me.

image.jpeg.1f7898254f7314fe5572b0267386272a.jpeg

It's a senduo to him being an echidna and/or anteater.

He still has it post Adventure, but sometimes the models/angles don't make it as visible.

"Only male hedgehogs can go super" is a stupid and arbitrary limitation, and I'm glad Mania ignored it. If you're a playable character and have all seven Emeralds, you should be able to use them. 

Heck, the first Mario & Sonic game (bastion of canon that series is, I know) even allowed humans to use Chaos Emeralds to get a quick burst of super speed and invincibility, which seemed like an abbreviated single-Emerald "super form" in all but name.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Heck, the first Mario & Sonic game (bastion of canon that series is, I know) even allowed humans to use Chaos Emeralds to get a quick burst of super speed and invincibility, which seemed like an abbreviated single-Emerald "super form" in all but name.

The Fighters did it first.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:29 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

"Only male hedgehogs can go super" is a stupid and arbitrary limitation, and I'm glad Mania ignored it. If you're a playable character and have all seven Emeralds, you should be able to use them. 

I feel the same way, but over time I've interpreted it to mean that Sonic, Shadow and Silver are the only ones that have a unique appearance for their Super Forms. Everyone else that uses the Chaos Emeralds just glows in some way. I have come up with a more in-universe explanation for this if you're interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2020 at 1:29 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

Mania doesn't ignore it. IIzuka strait up said that's non canon and is a call back. So not only is not ignored, they are invalidated. That and all the hyper stuff.

Along with that, they don't really seem to be interested in super forms in general anymore. And I think that's a good thing

On 6/9/2020 at 7:29 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

"Only male hedgehogs can go super" is a stupid and arbitrary limitation

Not to mention that it's genuinly sexist.

4 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Mania doesn't ignore it. IIzuka strait up said that's non canon and is a call back. So not only is not ignored, they are invalidated. That and all the hyper stuff.

Along with that, they don't really seem to be interested in super forms in general anymore. And I think that's a good thing

If Mania is non-canon then Forces is also non-canon, because the two plots are kind of inextricably linked.

If Forces is considered canon, then Mania - and by extension everything that happens in Mania, super forms and all - should also count, as far as I can see it.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

If Mania is non-canon then Forces is also non-canon, because the two plots are kind of inextricably linked.

If Forces is considered canon, then Mania - and by extension everything that happens in Mania, super forms and all - should also count, as far as I can see it.

He's saying that Mighty, Ray, and Tails turning super in that game is non-canon; I don't think anything else was included.

And even if it was, Phantom Ruby.

Just now, DabigRG said:

He's saying that Mighty, Ray, and Tails turning super in that game is non-canon; I don't think anything else was included.

And even if it was, Phantom Ruby.

Okay, fine.

For my next unpopular/popular opinion, I think that if something clearly happens in gameplay, it ought to be counted as canon. Arbitrarily saying it's an imaginary element or otherwise doesn't count because it violates Iizuka's rules limits the creativity of the series in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forces only needs a Mania Mode all-emeralds Sonic (or Sonic and Tails) run to be canon. Runs with other characters don't need to be canon...and no other all-emeralds run can be canon anyway, as Sonic needs to have them. So there's no contradiction.