Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Sonic 2's is memorization.

in a game where you have a limited number of chances to play said stages and it may take up to four or five times to get them down

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in a game where you have a limited number of chances to play said stages and it may take up to four or five times to get them down

I admit the only reason I find them the easiest is because I play sonic 2 a lot.

Dat Sonic Mega Collection. I can save whenever I want, so I can memorize each section of each special stage (mostly because I keep screwing up). Also, second problem: you're playing as Sonic and Tails.

Mind you, this doesn't makes S2's Special Stages good, but still better than the nerve-wracking (IMO) Blue Sphere.

...let it be known that outside of the classic trilogy, Sonic CD's Special Stages are probably the worst.

Also, the other Special Stages aren't luck-based at all. Sonic 1's is about skill, and Sonic 2's is memorization.

Memorization is luck-based. It's inherent to the concept.

And there were an awful lot of things about Sonic 1's, even in the first couple levels, that you had no way of knowing where a particular level chute would go until you let Sonic go into it.

Edited by Tornado

Memorization is luck-based.

And there were an awful lot of things about Sonic 1's, even in the first couple of levels, that you had no way of knowing where a particular level chute would go until you let Sonic go into it.

I'm getting serious deja vu.

And no, it's not. You don't remember when to jump, what bombs are where, and what rings are where because you got lucky; you memorize them because you're making your brain remember the layout.

Also, you could often see where the GOAL was with enough time to avoid it.

Edited by thapoint09

And no, it's not. You don't remember when to jump, what bombs are where, and what rings are where because you got lucky; you memorize them because you're making your brain remember the layout.

Because you had to learn where they were the first time, usually the hard way. Hence, luck-based. As all trial and error gameplay is.

Also, you could often see where the GOAL was with enough time to avoid it.

"Often" is such a noncommittal standard to hold to. Unless you played it like a complete paranoiac, no, you couldn't. They were designed so you couldn't for exactly that reason.

Edited by Tornado

Because you had to learn where they were the first time, usually the hard way. Hence, luck-based. As all trial and error gameplay is.

Still not luck-based. If the Special Stages were randomized, then it'd be luck-based, because you'd have no idea which Special Stage you were going into.

Still not luck-based. If the Special Stages were randomized, then it'd be luck-based, because you'd have no idea which Special Stage you were going into.

No. If it was randomized, then it would be even more luck based, since you couldn't memorize to get around that it was luck based. But that doesn't mean it isn't luck based as it was, since your skill as a player was increasingly irrelevant the farther you got in the game.

Edited by Tornado

No. If it was randomized, then it would be even more luck based, since you couldn't memorize to get around that it was luck based. But that doesn't mean it isn't luck based as it was, since your skill as a player was increasingly irrelevant the farther you got in the game.

Fair point, but still, I prefer these over "Okay, doing good so far- wait, what? It's speeding up? Okay, just focus, you're still doing okay- oh crap it's even faster oh man I'm freaking out- wait no I didn't mean to turn there NO DON'T TOUCH THAT BUMPER AAAAAGH!" aka Blue Sphere.

And then once you get the Sonic 2 Special Stages down they're piss easy and you can beat them without a second thought. Though to be honest, I'd rather have Special Stages that have some kind of psychedelic twist on the core gameplay rather than just being some gimmicky afterthought like they have been in almost every other game. Something that essentially adapts the mechanics the game already has. Although I must admit, the 3D Blast Saturn special stages are a little guilty pleasure. They're the Sonic 2 Special Stages but better in every conceivable way. Heck they even have rolling physics.

What if they're a little like those sections in Pyramid Cave where you're in the tubes and there are the rings suspended from the walls and ceiling and you have to utilise physics to leap through them and get points? But ya know, more PSYCHEDELIC. I dunno, just something a little more engaging.

...let it be known that outside of the classic trilogy, Sonic CD's Special Stages are probably the worst.

They were still cool as fuck.

I HATE the 3rd Special Stage in Sonic 1. I usually fall into the "GOAL" because I make a leap of faith, hoping to reach the emerald...

I'm not a fan of Sonic 2's S.Ss, but SEGA seems to be - they rehash it the most.

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Sonic 06 was fated to be the (total) pile of feces pressed on a disc the very moment it was announced or even when the "Sonic in the real world" setting concepts were chosen for the game (on the condition that they were approved before the following), I perfer to believe that the moment Sonic 06 was "doomed" happened right after Naka left to form Prope. (I also heard that most of the remaining staff of the original Sonic Team followed Naka to Prope soon afterwards, exactly when this did happen I'm unsure.) It's quite telling that the TGS 2005 demo revealed shortly before Naka left is in a more playable state (Sonic being 2x faster, proper physics/debug engine, etc.) than the final product is; not to mention it actually did tout a few features that were promised to be but ultimately didn't make it to the final product (day/night cycle).

Edited by Gabe95

Unpopular opinion: I don't think Sonic 06 was fated to be the (total) pile of feces pressed on a disc the very moment it was announced or even when the "Sonic in the real world" setting concepts were chosen for the game (on the condition that they were approved before the following). I perfer to think Sonic 06 happened right after Naka left to form Prope. (I also heard that most of the remaining staff of the original Sonic Team followed Naka to Prope soon afterwards, exactly when this did happen I'm unsure.) It's quite telling that the TGS 2005 demo revealed shortly before Naka left is in a more playable state (Sonic being 2x faster, proper physics/debug engine, etc.) than the final product is; not to mention it actually did tout a few features that were promised to be but ultimately didn't make it to the final product (day/night cycle).

SHIT STORM INCOMING

GABE, TURN BACK, TURN BAAAAACK!!!

But seriously, does anyone actually LIKE special stages?

Edited by Soniman

The only special stages I truly enjoyed were the ones in 3D Blast and Heroes. The rest are either okay or forgivable, but not what I'd play a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Blue Sphere's my favourite of the Special Stages, and I admit to liking the Escher Mazes. I think they use the half pipes a little too much, although I did like the version in Colours DS, since that required a little more strategy than simply collecting as many rings/orbs/etc as you can.

Sonic's current gameplay shouldn't be how Sonic should play. It was only there because of the backlash from past games and Sonic 06. Instead of fixing what was wrong with those games, Sega just created something that will have players thrilled by cheap speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's current gameplay shouldn't be how Sonic should play. It was only there because of the backlash from past games and Sonic 06. Instead of fixing what was wrong with those games, Sega just created something that will have players thrilled by cheap speed.

Hella Jeff/Diogenes will get along with you famously.

True, Sonic's current gameplay takes away too much of the interactivity of the video game, making it too much like a movie. It bothers me a bit when playing SA2(even though I'm not too fond of that game) and experiencing the interactivity of the game by flipping switches and playing my flute, and then going to unleashed where it's nothing but pressing onward to the end of the stage. Edited by Uphex
  • Thumbs Up 1

From what I've seen in gameplay videos and such, Sonic Unleashed's day stages may have been like this but Generations and Colors? No. With the exception of GHZ, Generations' modern gameplay was not "gotta go fast lol". There was platforming mixed in, and if you use boost irresponsibly and without thinking, then you will die. There's definitely a lot more to it then cheap thrills from speed.

-----------------

I do not know who these people are, but okay?

hella jeff is Diogenes' current display name (so they're one person). He's an SSMB member; I'm sure you've seen his posts and if not, you will soon because he's a pretty active member.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1