Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Forces had an interesting idea in actually having Shadow's anti hero persona actually bite him in a ass and chain off the plot (if in a laughably petty way).

I think that was an even bigger problem with Free Riders, that they not only exaggerated Shadow and Rouge into class A jerks, but, in spite of the cast acknowledging this, it didn't really have much consequence on the plot in the end. I'm all for showing their more dubious qualities to make their characters and agency stand out, but not just making them Jerky McJerk-face for the sake of it.

• Nice Smile 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Forces had an interesting idea in actually having Shadow's anti hero persona actually bite him in a ass and chain off the plot (if in a laughably petty way).

Too bad it was pretty obviously tacked on to check off.

It's rather obvious Shadow was never originally going to play a big part in Forces and that his story with Infinite was just tacked on when the development cycle was close to the end. Hence why his role in the DLC is never elaborated on in spite of the apparent role he played in Infinite's descent to madness. 

And it's annoying as fuck because it's the ONLY time I found Infinite to be a compelling character, and it establishes an actual dynamic between him and one of the main characters who isn't just a bland self-insert. The story could have been about Shadow having to take responsibility for the mess that he created and feel somewhat guilty about it. 

Now granted, the reason they probably didn't do that was because that would have potentially overshadowed Sonic and the Avatar's relationship, which is meant to be the main focus of the game. But I never cared about that to begin with, but really they should have never established a dynamic between Shadow and Infinite in the first place, because now it's just a plot point that ultimately amounts to nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Unpopular Opinion, Metalix or Mecha Sonic was not a great main villian. Mecha shines as a servant of Eggman, not as the lead enemy. 

Sonic 2 while a good game, is not better than Sonic 3, to me there is no comparison as Sonic 3 improves on what sonic 2 did right, and does the same where Sonic 2 failed, namely special stages. (Talking about original releases, not the mobile port of 2 that made its stages much more tolerable)

Also I think Chaotix is a good game, flawed, but good.

Thats about the only somewhat controversial opinions I got.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Boured said:

Sonic 2 while a good game, is not better than Sonic 3, to me there is no comparison as Sonic 3 improves on what sonic 2 did right, and does the same where Sonic 2 failed, namely special stages. (Talking about original releases, not the mobile port of 2 that made its stages much more tolerable)

Also I think Chaotix is a good game, flawed, but good.

Thats about the only somewhat controversial opinions I got.

I wiah I had gotten to play Chaotix on the Sega 32X. Is it true you could be Knux and a friend could be Espio, Charmie, or Victor?

1 hour ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

I wiah I had gotten to play Chaotix on the Sega 32X. Is it true you could be Knux and a friend could be Espio, Charmie, or Victor?

Any combinaton actually, you don't need to play as Knuckles. You could for instance play as Espio and have your partner be Vector. There are even partners that hinder you in the game, as the way to get partners requires a crane minigame such as Heavy, which is just heavy, very bad for the physics.

Mighty is also playable, in fact it was his second and last appearance in a playable role until Sonic Mania Plus.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Boured said:

Any combinaton actually, you don't need to play as Knuckles. You could for instance play as Espio and have your partner be Vector. There are even partners that hinder you in the game, as the way to get partners requires a crane minigame such as Heavy, which is just heavy, very bad for the physics.

Mighty is also playable, in fact it was his second and last appearance in a playable role until Sonic Mania Plus.

Who was the best partner combo in your opinion? 

2 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Who was the best partner combo in your opinion? 

Charmie and anyone but heavy.

Charmie is broken cause you legit can fly across the stage. Only limited by walls.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Boured said:

Charmie and anyone but heavy.

Charmie is broken cause you legit can fly across the stage. Only limited by walls.

I love Charmie and Espio. Perhaps oneday Chaotix will available to play on mobile or some port. 

Just now, Shadow Chaos Control said:

I love Charmie and Espio. Perhaps oneday Chaotix will available to play on mobile or some port. 

Id say buy the cart if you have the money, then emulate the game. That way you legally own it. Most 32X emulators work fine enough, such as Kega Fusion

• Way Past Cool 1

I’m gonna get a ton of heat for saying this (not like this is anything new) but fuck it, I’m going for it.

As much as I utterly despise the game and would not like to ever play it again, I would rather play 06 than any of the Classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Miles Storzillo said:

I’m gonna get a ton of heat for saying this (not like this is anything new) but fuck it, I’m going for it.

As much as I utterly despise the game and would not like to ever play it again, I would rather play 06 than any of the Classics.

Honestly I am with you. I prefer Adventure, Adventure 2, 06, and Forces to the classics. When they were new, when I first played the classics and 8-16 bit was revolutionary, they were epic. But now I prefer 3D Sonic. 

It’s not that I really prefer 06 (far from it), I just think it’s more interesting.  I can go in full detail if you want, but I warn you...  It’s gonna be a long day.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Miles Storzillo said:

It’s not that I really prefer 06 (far from it), I just think it’s more interesting.  I can go in full detail if you want, but I warn you...  It’s gonna be a long day.

I agree, the story is more interesting. 8-16 bit Sonic had very little story but what was conveyed onscreen and no dialouge. In comtrast Adventure to Forces is heavy on dialouge and storytelling. 

Go ahead, share, I for one am interested.  

Very well.  (Clears throat)

Like I said, I don’t really think 06 is better than the Classics.  At least I can play the Classics without worry of falling through the floor, getting stuck on a wall, etc.  However, there is a major MAJOR problem I have with the Classics.  They’re the same thing over and over again.  The gameplay between games changes so little it feels like I’m playing the same game over and over again.  And it doesn’t help that the characters are all echoes of Sonic.  Sure, there are differences, however they’re not exactly enough in my eyes and in Knuckles’ case of having a lower jump it just makes me never want to play as him.  Remember that one boss in Sonic Mania that switches gravity?  Yeah, I hope you didn’t spend too much time on that level with Knuckles because if you did, you’re gonna need to pray to Light Gaia that ring will be on your side.  When I did my Knuckles playthrough (I...  Don’t know why I kept playing after finishing with Sonic) I kid you not, that boss went a whole minute and a half, at least, raising the gravity so I couldn’t hit him.  Not even Super Knuckles could help with that.  ALSO NOT HELPING is that you pretty much deal with enemies the exact same way for each character.  Jump on them.

Now people will probably give the...  Reason (I’m trying my best not to call it an excuse) that it’s a 2D game so there’s not much to work with.  Well, to that I have 2 words.  Advance Trilogy.  Those games alone prove that 2D Sonic can actually have variety in how the characters control, most notably 3.

Now this is what  I praise Sonic 06 for, having the characters play unique.  Silver has Psychic powers, Omega has lots of projectiles, Sonic has those gems, Shadow has Chaos Boost, Rouge has bombs, etc.  Granted, besides Blaze I wouldn’t call any. of them fun overall.  However, there is a moment with each character where I can have some fun with...  Except Amy, there’s nothing good about her.  Anyways, I feel that whenever I have fun with these guys I have much more fun than in the Classics.  In the Classics after a couple minutes I just get bored.  Of course the fun doesn’t last very long because of the game’s broken nature, but at least there was still fun.  

Oh, and I’m not even one of those people who have fun with the glitches, I just find most of them irritating.  The only glitch I like is the one that lets you skip Silver’s ball puzzle by phasing through the door.  I know I’ve said I don’t like cheating in games, but this is one of those rare occasions where I get to something so infuriating I don’t feel any shame in cheating.  Fuck that puzzle.

Of course, I don’t have fun with change every time they did it.  (Groans) Fuck.  Chronicles.  The music alone is enough of a 1st impression for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you @Miles Storzillo that the Classic games are mostly clones and the characters are basically all the same in function. You captured what I love about Adventure to Forced era, that each character has a specialty and plays differently. If SEGA wants Sonuc to be the main hero and not weaken him, the answer is as Badnik said, “to give Sonic’s friends specialties that Sonic cannot himself do.” (Does Tails Have Depression? Video).   

Team Sonic Racing is the single most forgettable major release in the franchise since the 8-bit era. There’s nothing... fresh, in more ways than one. The original stages are generally rather generic. I like that all-too-common staples were excluded, but what they picked for returning stages isn’t much better. Seaside Hill had a gap from Dash to around this release, but still. Most of the other returning levels had even longer gaps, but they were handled in ways similar to right before their absence gaps, and the re-use of old levels in general has become tiring by now, as we’ve had “Brand X” versions of old levels in games like Lost World and 4.

To that extent... the “Brand X” (basically the same aesthetics and general layouts under a different name, ala Windy/Splash Hill) feels even more awkward and insulting than re-using the location straight up. When you “Brand X” a level, you waste an opportunity to introduce new concepts, which is especially painful in Lost World. “Brand X” stages often feel more generic and washed out than their predecessors, as well. At least true reoccurring locations try to establish some world building, the “Brand X” levels do not, especially as they are never, ever commented on for being similar to familiar areas. 

This is probably unpopular but I miss when the series would have Sonic fight giant monsters like Chaos, Biolizard, etc. Their designs are aesthetically pleasing, especially Dark Gaia in those CG cutscenes of Unleashed. Not to mention that  fighting them feels like a epic climax to an adventure. I can understand why some people don’t like it since it did get repetitive by the time Unleashed came out.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Big-C said:

This is probably unpopular but I miss when the series would have Sonic fight giant monsters like Chaos, Biolizard, etc. Their designs are aesthetically pleasing, especially Dark Gaia in those CG cutscenes of Unleashed. Not to mention that  fighting them feels like a epic climax to an adventure. I can understand why some people don’t like it since it did get repetitive by the time Unleashed came out.

I feel the same way, Chaos and the Biolizard were brillant conclusions to the story modes. So your opinion isn’t unpopular with me. :) 

• Nice Smile 1