Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

His spotlight is mostly because he's one of the oldest Sonic characters, and that gives him a lot of privilege other characters don't have.

But no, he's not consistent between mediums. Especially in Archie, where he wouldn't resemble anything close to his character in the games for a long long time.

40 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

How so? How is Vector different in Archie and the Games?  

To be fair, it's vaguely accurate to how he was portrayed in Chaotix: jamming to his headphones and giving a thumbs up to the camera while running.

The jive talk is a little dated now, but it's seems fairly in line with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, it's vaguely accurate to how he was portrayed in Chaotix: jamming to his headphones and giving a thumbs up to the camera while running.

The jive talk is a little dated now, but it's seems fairly in line with that.

Do you think Vector’s radiohead persona needs to be updated? 

56 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Do you think Vector’s radiohead persona needs to be updated? 

It already has been: he's more of a Brooklyn gumshoe now.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It already has been: he's more of a Brooklyn gumshoe now.

Why not a Hipster? 

3 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

How so? How is Vector different in Archie and the Games?  

The detective stuff didn't exist yet, so that's different, but more importantly, all Vector did is speak in jive talk and hate women for the longest time. He was just a sidekick for Knuckles and Julie-Su, because the only game he was in at the time was Chaotix.

If I remember correctly STC got some of the 'gruff brains of the team' role accurately with Vector. Charmy was also a rather uncanny likeness to his games self as well (Amy's progression in handling is also kinda similar).

Then again STC Chaotix weren't just designed to be Knuckles' sidekick squad.

• 1 month later...

Super Sonic's Shadow quills in SA1 and 2 are way more visually appealing then his psuedo super saiyan upwards pointing design from later games. 

I know future games don't really bother to expand on Shadow's connection to Sonic but Gerald pretty obviously got inspiration from the Super Sonic mural while he was exploring Angel Island. And I really like how that subtle detail to the theme of artificiality that was all over Adventure 2's story. Kinda lame to just ignore that in future titles for an imo less interesting design.

Wasn't the pointing upwards Super Sonic's original design tho?

image.png.b6f453b6eb8465d4faf022481ab544e7.png

Sonic 2 concept 

The Shadow quills weren't existent until Adventure.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Wasn't the pointing upwards Super Sonic's original design tho?

image.png.b6f453b6eb8465d4faf022481ab544e7.png

Sonic 2 concept 

The Shadow quills weren't existent until Adventure.

Should have specified for modern Sonic, but yeah. Even then that style fits classic a lot more for me.

I personally really don't care for the fanon that Gerald had seen the mural on Angel Island and designed Shadow after that. I'd much rather the similarites were just coincidental. Not everything needs some deep lore behind it. But it makes sense at least, considering the Artificial Chaos and what the core of Ark looked like (and later with Gerald's diary entries from Battle).

Super Sonic got a really, really awesome redesign in SA1 and when Shadow was later introduced with some of Super Sonic's features it just made both of them seem even more cool. Super Sonic didn't just get a different hairdo in the Adventure games either; he was gold instead of the shiny yellow appearance he has now (or the ugly matte yellow of SADX). I remember a bit of fallout on Sonic Cult back in the day when Heroes came out and people saw the more retro-looking Super Saiyin style Super Sonic. There was quite a strong divide on which look people preferred. I could go either way personally. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The biggest factor in whether a Super Sonic design looks good is whether the top spike goes up and then back (good) or if it goes back and then up (very bad).

The "Shadow" style Super Sonics are acceptable because they follow the good pattern but they could use more up.

• Nice Smile 1

Call me an edgelord for this but I just liked how he gave off a menacing aura in the Adventure games. The starfish cut adds to it. 

5aa53d162be09.jpg

d5m0yyl-279d77c8-dfbe-49e9-a009-63e87664

He looks cool in the later games too but I guess I don't like the spikes jutting straight upward as much. A mix of both like in Sonic 2 is the best. 

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The biggest factor in whether a Super Sonic design looks good is whether the top spike goes up and then back (good) or if it goes back and then up (very bad).

The "Shadow" style Super Sonics are acceptable because they follow the good pattern but they could use more up.

You mean like the Sonic R model?

image.png.be8da42e21e83ebd8e77a23917bfbb44.png

I think my favorite Super Sonic design is X's. Its one of the few that's actually golden rather than simply yellow.

image.png.4392e55a9f40f6e3a8dfffad607bd817.png

and the subtle change of the shape of his eyes along with the transformation. Its definitely the most similar to the Super Saiyan.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Ok am I blind? I'm really not seeing the difference between Super Sonic in Adventure and Super Sonic now.

He used to have Shadow's cut before but now all of his quills go upward, probably to differentiate the two

a72711e0586d50be5c6b37150ee7e749.png

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I'm pretty sure that one's from Fighters (R couldn't afford half that many polygons), but yeah, that's what I consider to be the "correct" classic-style Super Sonic. In the other direction there's...

mIF3yMz.png

Eugh.

'06 Super Sonic looks almost bald, like his spikes are attached to the back of his head, not the top. Fighters Super Sonic looks like his spikes are rising from a more natural hairline.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Ok am I blind? I'm really not seeing the difference between Super Sonic in Adventure and Super Sonic now.

In a word... Yes. For SA1 and SA2, he had the same quill style as Shadow; they twisted outwards and upwards, but now only go upwards.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

That's actually Fighters, not R. But yes, I think that's what @Diogenes is saying and I fully agree with him. It's in contrast to say this piece of art, wherein his top-centre quill goes back before going up:

396px-Super_sonic_01.png

It looks broken like he's got a massive sent in his head, and annoyingly is most often how he's depicted now. If not exactly like this, his top-center quill goes awkwardly straight back. That's better, but doesn't look right. Going up and curling back is definitely best.

I’m not sure if I already put this, but the Werehog was my favorite part of Unleashed.  Another is that I think Colors was the worst of the Meta Era.

18 hours ago, Miles Storzillo said:

I think Colors was the worst of the Meta Era.

Care to explain? I could hardly stomach the "story" of Lost World, Generations was practically non-existent and Forces was a convoluted mess.

At its worst Colors' story was harmless fun. At the time it was a breath of fresh air for a Sonic game; with its fun gameplay, imaginative worlds and amazing soundtrack. Its lighthearted, self-referencing story was icing on the cake.

5 hours ago, Austroid said:

Care to explain? I could hardly stomach the "story" of Lost World, Generations was practically non-existent and Forces was a convoluted mess.

At its worst Colors' story was harmless fun. At the time it was a breath of fresh air for a Sonic game; with its fun gameplay, imaginative worlds and amazing soundtrack. Its lighthearted, self-referencing story was icing on the cake.

Lost World probably has my favorite story of the era, Generations, while nothing, that nothingness made it more bearable than Colors Wii’s Teen Titans Go writing for me, and there were moments in Forces I didn’t mind.  

But the main reason I detest Colors’ writing is because it’s the only game in the series that made me hate Sonic.  I honestly find Sonic from 06 better and my reason is the same as why I find Generations’ “plot” better.

Oh, one more thing.  I was talking both gameplay and story wise Colors is the weakest to me.

I have to say I never really hated the Werehog in concept. The main problem was how tedious and repetitive they made his levels (at least in the PS3/XBox360 version), but the idea itself wasn't awful like most insinuate. The Egg Dragoon is about the only time we get to be fast paced with the Werehog and it's freaking awesome. Why didn't they do more stuff like that?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Werehog is one of the best ideas that they shouldn't have put into the game lmao. I actually liked it's design a lot, and the dichotomy with it and day stages is a cool concept...in theory.  Where it falls apart is being repetitive as hell and simply not being as exciting to play as the day stages.  The Werehog that presents the same problems that usually plague Modern Sonic games; slapping on a gimmick that either feels half-assed or intrusive to the main Sonic gameplay. 

Now the easiest solution would be "just get rid of it" but I've matured and realized, if the entire game was similar to Eggmanland, where you transition between Sonic and Werehog seamlessly within the levels, I think it would have flowed a LOT better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The Werehog is one of the best ideas that they shouldn't have put into the game lmao. I actually liked it's design a lot, and the dichotomy with it and day stages is a cool concept...in theory.  Where it falls apart is being repetitive as hell and simply not being as exciting to play as the day stages.  The Werehog that presents the same problems that usually plague Modern Sonic games; slapping on a gimmick that either feels half-assed or intrusive to the main Sonic gameplay. 

Now the easiest solution would be "just get rid of it" but I've matured and realized, if the entire game was similar to Eggmanland, where you transition between Sonic and Werehog seamlessly within the levels, I think it would have flowed a LOT better. 

I'm not really sure. The constant switching in eggmanland only really showed me more blatantly how jarring the difference in pace and gameplay these two styles are. Going back in forth in every level would be kind of disorienting.

Personally I don't think the werehog could really feel natural unless they tried to keep the pace of the combat and platforming more in line with the daytime stages. Heroes and Black Knight mostly got this right, the mechanics were simpler but it allowed enemy encounters to be much quicker fights as opposed to the drawn out scuffles they are in Unleashed. 

I consider Sonic X my favorite of Sonic cartoons. And that includes the English dub.

Yeah I’m aware of 4kids “protecting” the children from the horrors of guns, blood, alcohol, sexuality and rice balls and I have nothing against the sub version but when it comes to anime in general, if it’s available in English that’s how I’m gonna watch. Plus it doesn’t help that sub elitists have been on my nerves for years.