Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Shadow's memories being tampered with doesn't actually absolve him of fault, in the same way that Silver being manipulated by Mephilies didn't absolve him of his part in that whole thing. A refusal to second guess yourself is a dangerous trait to have in most cases, but when we're talking about knowingly committing omnicide it's multiplied. Even if it was truly Maria's desire that Shadow commit a heinous act of vengence in her name, Shadow wouldn't have been justified in acting on it. At the very least, he could have the basic clarity to aim his rage purely at the people responsible and not the entire planet.

I for he most part agree with this sentiment its just the issue of shadow's existence makes it weird. Shadow isn't like eggman who woke up and chose whimsy and violence. He was born in a tube released to that tube exposed to extreme trauma and was put back into that tube. Its literally all he knows. I'm not absolving him of fault , he did a bad thing. He's going to do things that people see as bad. That's the nature of his character and that's part of the reason why I and so many other's like him. His willingness to bad things for what he thinks is the right thing at the time. 

But on some level I'm willing to give more lenience to a guy who was born yesterday exposed to extreme trauma with no other life experiences had those life experiences manipulated to make him angrier and then was let loose. You say aim at the people responsible, he doesn't understand there are different people, he just knows they are from earth and his memories said that people from earth are bad and took the only friend he had away. 

Shadow did a bad thing but I think its important to remember why he did the bad thing. All he knew was violence, the game was him learning there were other avenues besides that. 

I feel similarly about silver,  If I grow up in a apocalyptical future and no nothing but pain and strife and some magic dude comes to me who has the power to send me through space and time and goes " hey if you kill like one dude it will fix everything " I understand believing that. 

Its not about not questioning one's self but rather not having the information. Sonic's stories of this type since knuckles have been this way. They are acting on limited information doesn't absolve them of guild trying to judge them harshly is also a mistake because of the context they have as characters and the context they lack as people in the world. 

Its what made infinite so potentially interesting as a character, and why it sucks it was wasted. He had context and just choose violence. 

Shadow is right to think he bears some responsibility for what happened and he's right to suspect that some people are always going to think he's dangerous for it. How couldn't they? If Shadow is allowed to lash out because his family was killed, who could blame the rest of the world for feeling apprehensive about the guy who tried to return the favor 7 billion times over?

The world hates him for who is part of the story always made no sense. Because most people don't know who shadow is. Like eggman was the face of most of sa2.  Like the immediate circle of sonic friends in that game , eggman, The GUN general and the president are the ones who know what was up. The last two is and feels responsible for what shadow is.  So it always felt like at least in 06 them framing it that was was more reaction to the black arms stuff rather than sa2. IMO anyway. 
The world, would GUN in this instance and as a person being told this story , I don't give a shit what gun thinks. They are the reason why everything happened and if they are the world in this instance they should be trying to help. But hey constantly oppressing a people for no reason is accurate to real life governments. No one earth who's like  a normal person knows who shadow is , besides he kind of looks like one of those aliens that invaded that one time. 

I guess shadow knows he tried to harm them, but even then his arc at a time shifted from " i'm tyring to protect them because I screwed up" to " I'll be what I want to be screw everything else" so ultimately I guess it doesn't matter. I mean it doesn't matter because now shadow doesn't care about anything but that's another discussion. 

At the same time, he was also right to decide to just do the best he can with the second life he's been given. It might be the first good decision he's ever made.

I would say saving rouge in sa2 is.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Cadence said:

I for he most part agree with this sentiment its just the issue of shadow's existence makes it weird. Shadow isn't like eggman who woke up and chose whimsy and violence. He was born in a tube released to that tube exposed to extreme trauma and was put back into that tube. Its literally all he knows. I'm not absolving him of fault , he did a bad thing. He's going to do things that people see as bad. That's the nature of his character and that's part of the reason why I and so many other's like him. His willingness to bad things for what he thinks is the right thing at the time. 

But on some level I'm willing to give more lenience to a guy who was born yesterday exposed to extreme trauma with no other life experiences had those life experiences manipulated to make him angrier and then was let loose. You say aim at the people responsible, he doesn't understand there are different people, he just knows they are from earth and his memories said that people from earth are bad and took the only friend he had away. 

Shadow did a bad thing but I think its important to remember why he did the bad thing. All he knew was violence, the game was him learning there were other avenues besides that. 

I feel similarly about silver,  If I grow up in a apocalyptical future and no nothing but pain and strife and some magic dude comes to me who has the power to send me through space and time and goes " hey if you kill like one dude it will fix everything " I understand believing that

Its not about not questioning one's self but rather not having the information. Sonic's stories of this type since knuckles have been this way. They are acting on limited information doesn't absolve them of guild trying to judge them harshly is also a mistake because of the context they have as characters and the context they lack as people in the world. 

Its what made infinite so potentially interesting as a character, and why it sucks it was wasted. He had context and just choose violence. 

Giving Shadow too much leeway here is dangerous though since you can argue that Gerald is just as much of a victim of circumstance as Shadow. Sure, he's a fully grown man that had the context of the entire situation, but he was wracked with grief over the death of his family and colleagues. He was legitimately mentally unwell, which might be harder to blame him for than "lacking context" depending on who you ask. All Knuckles or Silver needed to do was ask more than one person about what was going on.

Going along with this train of thought, we don't know anything about Eggman's past. There might be completely understandable reasons for why he turned out this way. after a certain level of atrocity the 'why' isn't really worth considering that much to me.

The world hates him for who is part of the story always made no sense. Because most people don't know who shadow is. Like eggman was the face of most of sa2.  Like the immediate circle of sonic friends in that game , eggman, The GUN general and the president are the ones who know what was up. The last two is and feels responsible for what shadow is.  So it always felt like at least in 06 them framing it that was was more reaction to the black arms stuff rather than sa2. IMO anyway. 
The world, would GUN in this instance and as a person being told this story , I don't give a shit what gun thinks. They are the reason why everything happened and if they are the world in this instance they should be trying to help. But hey constantly oppressing a people for no reason is accurate to real life governments. No one earth who's like  a normal person knows who shadow is , besides he kind of looks like one of those aliens that invaded that one time. 

Shadow was still on national TV multiple times and the government was very aware of who he was. I doubt he actually escaped all public scrutiny, but there's no way to know for sure since the worldbuilding holding these stories up is so poor. I'd agree that "the world may turn against you" subplot doesn't really hold up, but only because we don't have a good idea of what anyone outside of Sonic's immediate friendship circle thinks about most things.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Wraith said:

Giving Shadow too much leeway here is dangerous though since you can argue that Gerald is just as much of a victim of circumstance as Shadow. Sure, he's a fully grown man that had the context of the entire situation, but he was wracked with grief over the death of his family and colleagues. He was legitimately mentally unwell, which might be harder to blame him for than "lacking context" depending on who you ask. All Knuckles or Silver needed to do was ask more than one person about what was going on.

Going along with this train of thought, we don't know anything about Eggman's past. There might be completely understandable reasons for why he turned out this way. after a certain level of atrocity the 'why' isn't really worth considering that much to me.

I firmly do not believe comparing someone who was born yesterday and knew nothing but violence reacting in the only way he knew how are and was kind of made to do to Gerald and/or Ivo is possible. Shadow did a bad things and was going to do really bad thing. I'm not going to argue that, but to compare him to gerald and especially Ivo is a mistake

Gerald is a monster. There is no "sure he was a fully grown man...", he was a fully grown man who with full context understanding the horrible act he was commuting manipulated the memories of his son. Abused his son , and manipulated the memories of his only friend to convince him that destroying the world was the only way to move forward. So not only did he in his rage sick a space and time manipulating living weapon on a world full of people he had full context for. He was going to doom shadow to literally doing the exact opposite of what maria wanted. That's horrifying. 

On that same token, we don't know eggman's backstory. He's a middle aged old man that chooses violent fascism. There is no backstory in the world that justifies this. 

Shadow isn't absolved of his sins, he did a bad thing. But and I know some may not like to hear this because we like to visualize these characters as perfect individuals who always know what they are doing. But he was born yesterday, exposed to violence and had everything taken away from him and stored in a pod 50 years. He lacks the context to actually make any type of sensible choice in that scenario. The only context the could have had was taken from him. It is not dangerous to consider this. To the point Ian Flynn recently in a bumblekast called sonic's choice of words and how he handles the argument with shadow tonedeaf for that specific reason. 

Ivo was a man who lived 40+ years and chose fascism to his own admission against the wills of everyone else
Gerald was a man who chose the destruction of the world and abusing his son because of his grief
Shadow, didn't get to choose. Wait , he did get to choose. When he got his memory back, and he choose to do the right thing. When he went to the actual world , when he finally got that context and and experienced that there are people there. He choose to do the right thing. That's the entire point of his story.

And there is not an ocean a PLANET's worth of difference between those people in terms of blame and leniency. The planet shadow choose to save, because when he was given the context. He did the right thing. Unlike those two, well Gerald did eventually in secret. So you know kudos he's much better than his grandson in that regard. 

On 4/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Wraith said:

Shadow was still on national TV multiple times and the government was very aware of who he was. I doubt he actually escaped all public scrutiny, but there's no way to know for sure since the worldbuilding holding these stories up is so poor. I'd agree that "the world may turn against you" subplot doesn't really hold up, but only because we don't have a good idea of what anyone outside of Sonic's immediate friendship circle thinks about most things.

Am I misremembering something but I don't think he was ever on TV. In X they captured him on camera's but unless i'm mistaken... I don't think he was ever on national tv. Maybe during the ending of his game, that one is fuzzy i know Gerald starts talking about his mistakes and I don't know if he shows shadow there

28 minutes ago, Cadence said:

Am I misremembering something but I don't think he was ever on TV. In X they captured him on camera's but unless i'm mistaken... I don't think he was ever on national tv. Maybe during the ending of his game, that one is fuzzy i know Gerald starts talking about his mistakes and I don't know if he shows shadow there

He is on television at the beginning of the radical highway scene. He is referred to as Sonic by the anchor, but I'd imagine Shadow would receive more scrutiny once Sonic's name was eventually cleared.

19 minutes ago, Cadence said:

Am I misremembering something but I don't think he was ever on TV. In X they captured him on camera's but unless i'm mistaken... I don't think he was ever on national tv.

It was near the start, Eggman watches a news report showing him up on the bridge in Radical Highway. It did misidentify him as Sonic so maybe an argument could be made that people wouldn't know him from that...but considering the same report referred to Sonic as a "world renowned hero", implying his adventures are reasonably well known to the general public, Shadow's existence likely wouldn't remain a secret for long anyway.

29 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It was near the start, Eggman watches a news report showing him up on the bridge in Radical Highway. It did misidentify him as Sonic so maybe an argument could be made that people wouldn't know him from that...but considering the same report referred to Sonic as a "world renowned hero", implying his adventures are reasonably well known to the general public, Shadow's existence likely wouldn't remain a secret for long anyway.

It's actually weird they never really delved into that, especially since ARK victims such as Shadow and the Commander align with GUN later on, and you think them exposing the former government's corruption and horrific acts at last and turning it into a unit with honourable members would be something they'd want to address, otherwise why would those guys wanna be anywhere close to them?

32 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Oh i forgot about that, that's fair.

All that said, maybe? The only game where people kind of know who he is was 06. GUN know's who he is , and theoretically they could just have people who spill the beans on GUN stuff. That does happen in real life and to imagine grocery store trash papers with secret pictures of an " alien government experiment " running around on is a very VERY fun thing to imagine. But there's no precedent for it that's still canon, shadow's a weird mystery entity. Ian Flynn has on occasion had people know who shadow is for example sally's father knowing who shadow is and the black arms , and more recently tangle knowing who shadow is and the whispers former squad knowing without needing to be told. But I can't really count that. 

Shadow even when he was being used more often was never one to interact with people outside of the main cast and even then still very few. He's a too the point kind of dude and often works in secret it seems. 

I guess people could know him from his escapades during his game but Ian flynn has recently elaborated that no route is actually canon ( even though the ending implies some things ) except the final ending. So we don't actually know what shadow did during that entire thing besides the final ending. He could have played virtua fighter the entire time, we wouldn't know. That stage select screen is actually a black box. 

There's actually at this point due to him not being connected with gun anymore, no way to know if people even know shadow exists. He could just be a collective fever dream of the main cast. Which a very SEGA thing to do. Have a character who is supposed to be batman levels of intimidation and brutalness, but he's known to no one because I guess they don't want to clutter up the cast too much with background characters? Dunno.

This is actually a thing that could have been handled in forces but you don't really get the reaction between the bigger characters and general resistance. Even infinite doesn't seem to actually know who shadow is before he gets his but kicked, and then dies.

I guess the people could know shadow for his illusion clone, for all the people he killed. But its never referenced, IDW in the archie comic that's supposed to be the sequel. Not only is it never referenced, its actively UN-referenced. His appearance in issue 6 has all the background characters magically disappear from their homes. And whisper a character people would have thought had beef with shadow because of forces was actually because shadow the hedgehog related stuff with the andriods. I guess starline knows who he is, but given how poorly that issue was received or rather shadow's part in it I don't think that will even be referenced at this point. Might behoove them to , don't want sega to get weird and have shadow " thrash" starline because they were upset about something in retrospect. Uh, i guess the possum dude knows who he is.... but he doesn't see him kick him. And even after all this the comic's aren't canon. 

I think I have created the 

" Shadow isn't actually real " theory about sonic 

Someone actually shared some Japanese translation stuff about how the President or whoever of the time was the one who ordered the raid on the Ark knowing the extent of their deal with Gerald and that the current one hired Rouge to uncover what exactly went down back then. 

Interesting stuff. Of course, considering you have to be around 40 or something to be a US President and that was 50 years ago...

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Someone actually shared some Japanese translation stuff about how the President or whoever of the time was the one who ordered the raid on the Ark knowing the extent of their deal with Gerald and that the current one hired Rouge to uncover what exactly went down back then. 

Interesting stuff. Of course, considering you have to be around 40 or something to be a US President and that was 50 years ago...

That's interesting and explains why the president was so gung ho on shadow being allowed to exist. While i never liked them working with gun, and am very glad its retconned. It would have been interesting to see like,  I dunno him apologize to shadow for what happened. Not just because it might be some form of closure for shadow. But like, it would kind of be fun to see what exactly the protocol for that would be? Or what you could imagine it would be ?

Like you are now the leader of a country and you have to for lack of a better word appease a living weapon , like what protocol do you put into place to prevent this from happening again. Are there like shadow specific laws? Like Shadow in fake sonic USA just gets free food, whoever he goes, if you see a 3 foot 3 black goth hedgehog , he just gets free food. Did they give him a house? Did they give him a bunch of money? Did they like show him files from the arc from back then. Something

I feel at the very least SOME implication GUN was getting cleaned of its bad eggs would have worked. Sonic X done that by having them arrested in the adaptation during their attempts to cover people figuring out their past.

I mean yeah I get that it's the past and people might have changed since then, but SA2 made PERFECTLY clear GUN had NOT changed at all, to the point they resorted to trying to scapegoat, imprison and even murder the world's hero than risk letting their mistakes be uncovered. They fit into Amy's category of the selfish sort that only cared about their own hides and were actually in control of Sonic's world, prioritising killing innocents just to hide their incompetence. They needed some key closure on that (even if nuking Prison Island likely took a good few of the dirtbag members out :P).

11 hours ago, Cadence said:

Oh i forgot about that, that's fair.

All that said, maybe? The only game where people kind of know who he is was 06. GUN know's who he is , and theoretically they could just have people who spill the beans on GUN stuff. That does happen in real life and to imagine grocery store trash papers with secret pictures of an " alien government experiment " running around on is a very VERY fun thing to imagine. But there's no precedent for it that's still canon, shadow's a weird mystery entity. Ian Flynn has on occasion had people know who shadow is for example sally's father knowing who shadow is and the black arms , and more recently tangle knowing who shadow is and the whispers former squad knowing without needing to be told. But I can't really count that. 

Shadow even when he was being used more often was never one to interact with people outside of the main cast and even then still very few. He's a too the point kind of dude and often works in secret it seems. 

I guess people could know him from his escapades during his game but Ian flynn has recently elaborated that no route is actually canon ( even though the ending implies some things ) except the final ending. So we don't actually know what shadow did during that entire thing besides the final ending. He could have played virtua fighter the entire time, we wouldn't know. That stage select screen is actually a black box. 

There's actually at this point due to him not being connected with gun anymore, no way to know if people even know shadow exists. He could just be a collective fever dream of the main cast. Which a very SEGA thing to do. Have a character who is supposed to be batman levels of intimidation and brutalness, but he's known to no one because I guess they don't want to clutter up the cast too much with background characters? Dunno.

This is actually a thing that could have been handled in forces but you don't really get the reaction between the bigger characters and general resistance. Even infinite doesn't seem to actually know who shadow is before he gets his but kicked, and then dies.

I guess the people could know shadow for his illusion clone, for all the people he killed. But its never referenced, IDW in the archie comic that's supposed to be the sequel. Not only is it never referenced, its actively UN-referenced. His appearance in issue 6 has all the background characters magically disappear from their homes. And whisper a character people would have thought had beef with shadow because of forces was actually because shadow the hedgehog related stuff with the andriods. I guess starline knows who he is, but given how poorly that issue was received or rather shadow's part in it I don't think that will even be referenced at this point. Might behoove them to , don't want sega to get weird and have shadow " thrash" starline because they were upset about something in retrospect. Uh, i guess the possum dude knows who he is.... but he doesn't see him kick him. And even after all this the comic's aren't canon. 

I think I have created the 

" Shadow isn't actually real " theory about sonic 

There's not really any evidence that Shadow isn't a public figure. "The public" just isn't really a focus of any of these games.

1 hour ago, E-122-Psi said:

I feel at the very least SOME implication GUN was getting cleaned of its bad eggs would have worked. Sonic X done that by having them arrested in the adaptation during their attempts to cover people figuring out their past.

I mean yeah I get that it's the past and people might have changed since then, but SA2 made PERFECTLY clear GUN had NOT changed at all, to the point they resorted to trying to scapegoat, imprison and even murder the world's hero than risk letting their mistakes be uncovered. They fit into Amy's category of the selfish sort that only cared about their own hides and were actually in control of Sonic's world, prioritising killing innocents just to hide their incompetence. They needed some key closure on that (even if nuking Prison Island likely took a good few of the dirtbag members out :P).

It hardly matters at this point. Blowing up prison island is essentially when GUN bows out of the story. I don't think they were meant to be a factor in the games beyond that, but Shadow's concept needed a human faction so they persisted.

But now they're gone. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a footnote about how they were disbanded due to corruption or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Reminds of how the Archie preboot noted that Tower worked his way up the ranks of GUN(which he likely joined due to being taken in by soldiers) with the explicit purpose of cleaning the organization up from the inside. Which actually does make some sense, given how he was basically deadset on eradicating the sources of his trauma and Maria's death.

Heck, it even makes me wonder if he got the position of Commander because of what Rouge uncovered.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I never liked when the Archie comics would give Sonic's shoes actual treads. The over-detailing just clashed too much.

Freecomic2010.jpg.10da48776999c61addc869cdfc1ceff6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2012 at 3:37 PM, Dr. Homem said:

I think the word you're looking for is "unpopular", not "overrated and underrated".

As for my opinion, I loved Sonic X, and found it to be the best Sonic cartoon. The show was brilliant, and had some of the best characterization for the Sonic cast I've seen. I seriously disagree with people who say it was crap.

I would, rather have had Sonic X as my childhood show than that "PBS Kids Junk." That is how much I love Sonic.❤️ I like the fact that some of the episodes were based on SA1, and SA2, those are indeed a couple of my favorite games. 

PBS Kids has some real gems, just saying...
Anyhow, my first introduction to Sonic was the 90s cartoons, mainly SATAM and Adventures (odd, seeing as I grew up in the 2010s). Personally, I think Sonic X is decent, but it's not my favorite. I did like that they adapted Adventures One and Two though, I think that was well-executed.

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s a spicy one: I vastly prefer the Sonic 3&K sprites over the ones used in the rest of the mainline “classic” games. They just pop so much more, with more personality to boot. While I get that Sonic was never supposed to have a mowhawk, I gotta say 3&K was the only time he looked the part. 

Here’s another hot take: I actually don’t mind Green Hill returning here and there as long as it’s treated like a returning location rather than a reimagined level- that is to say, as long as it looks, sounds, and feels like we’re in a different part of Green Hill. Aesthetically speaking, Forces got this right actually. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Master Emerald would be safer in Rouge's hands than in those of Knuckles. Think about it: Knuckles is currently its only line of defense, whereas Rouge could (and probably would) keep it under the highest security she can afford, which is pretty damn high considering how rich she is.
The only "downside" to this is that the status quo would have to change slightly. Angel Island would no longer levitate, and Knuckles wouldn't be the Guardian of the Master Emerald anymore. I think both of these are acceptable losses though. In fact it would free Knuckles up a little, allowing him to be used in more games without people saying "What about the Master Emerald?"

• Thumbs Up 1

Or you could just replace Rouge with Knuckles as part of Team Sonic.

We could use more girls anyway. Plus, she’s far more level-headed and competent than Knuckles given her occupation as a thief and spy, and she can pull up far more information than he ever could.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could you explain how that relates to what I said? I'm genuinely confused here.

32 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Could you explain how that relates to what I said? I'm genuinely confused here.

I said as much as I needed to on it. I don’t see how it’s that confusing to understand.

I suggested something that would allow Knuckles to be used more without people complaining, and you responded by suggesting that he be replaced with another character. What I don't understand is how the two statements are connected. I have Asperger's, so could you please just spell it out for me?

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I suggested something that would allow Knuckles to be used more without people complaining, and you responded by suggesting that he be replaced with another character. What I don't understand is how the two statements are connected. I have Asperger's, so could you please just spell it out for me?

Sure.

Instead of Knuckles, you can use Rouge in his place instead.

She can basically do everything he can to help Sonic and Tails.

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Or you could just replace Rouge with Knuckles as part of Team Sonic.

We could use more girls anyway. Plus, she’s far more level-headed and competent than Knuckles given her occupation as a thief and spy, and she can pull up far more information than he ever could.

Ughhh, did you have to phrase it like that?

Rouge being switched in as a main accomplice for Sonic sometimes has potential dynamic wise, but NO ONE will like it executed as the 'Hey check out this girl that's just a better version of a male character' (don't give new marketing bad ideas). :P

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, E-122-Psi said:

Ughhh, did you have to phrase it like that?

Yes?

Rouge being switched in as a main accomplice for Sonic sometimes has potential dynamic wise, but NO ONE will like it executed as the 'Hey check out this girl that's just a better version of a male character' (don't give new marketing bad ideas). :P

You seem to miss the part about her being a spy and a thief. That’s clearly where she and Knuckles differ. It’d be pretty difficult to market her as a better version of a male character (which for the record, I was tying her competence to her spying accomplishments than her being female) while ignoring those character traits without pissing off Rouge and Knuckles fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge is too cool to spend all her time hanging out with squares like Sonic and Tails, it'd never work out.

• Chuckle 2