Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Ugh, but it was a pain to get to the good future. You'd have to get out of the past, then get a future sign from the present, before you could enjoy that beautiful future. And the 3rd Acts were always too short to really enjoy the good futures you made. It's the most misused gimmick I've played in a 2D Sonic game.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with this, but it was fine since it was a one time deal. As long as it keeps the core elements of sonic gameplay I'm fine with it.

One time deal? It was the main gimmick of the entire game, the gimmick needed for you to get the prefered ending. It doesn't help that half the levels seem to have a vendetta against you using it.

Huh? I'm confused, is the second sentence referring to this game? If you hated the main gimmick too, then- I'm confused.

I did not like the gimmick too much. I found it annoying and tedious, but because it was only for one game I could stand it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked CD's time gimmick. I think they wanted the future signs to be more of an obstacle for the player than a tool for the better ending.

And they made it hard to get Good Futures because if the layout was designed like any other classic Sonic game, it would practically be given to you. And of course, you had to do accumulate speed through player input so it got just that harder.

Also, you were rewarded with peaceful music blissful atmosphere, and a heroic feeling when doing Good Futures.

It is something I wish they can mess around with again, but with more innovation, of course.

Edited by Platinumb
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't get that logic. You could stand one game for having a poor gimmick, poor level design, and enemy placement to counteract that gimmick, and being a frustrating experience overall? I mean, there are certain aspects which I enjoyed, but not enough to make me enjoy the game as a whole.

It is a bit contradicting isn't it? I guess It would be better to say "It was fun to me but not fit for sonic."

I liked CD's time gimmick. I think they wanted the future signs to be more of an obstacle for the player than a tool for the better ending.

And they made it hard to get Good Futures because if the layout was designed like any other classic Sonic game, it would practically be given to you. And of course, you had to do accumulate speed through player input so it got just that harder.

Also, you were rewarded with peaceful music blissful atmosphere, and a heroic feeling when doing Good Futures.

They were a stupid obstacle, that did not mesh with the level design. Sometimes it was nigh impossible to stop myself from going to the future. Then getting back to the past was tedious. All served was forcefully elongating a short game. It did not make me feel tension, but rather annoyance, because the levels were fighting me and trying to prevent me from making any progress, and the fact that those signs don't reset until you die was ridiculous.

The amount of frustration to get there isn't worth it, because even when you get to the good futures, the level design still has it's share of annoyances. Even if they are toned down.

The one thing I can get behind with the game, is that there's only one bottomless pit.

Most of the worst of CD's time travel issues could've been solved by having it activated by a button press. Grab a signpost, then once you've run for long enough at a high enough speed, show the sparkles and let the player decide if they want to warp. No unwanted warping, less worrying over whether you've got enough space or if you're just going to waste an attempt...

• Thumbs Up 7

Most of the worst of CD's time travel issues could've been solved by having it activated by a button press. Grab a signpost, then once you've run for long enough at a high enough speed, show the sparkles and let the player decide if they want to warp. No unwanted warping, less worrying over whether you've got enough space or if you're just going to waste an attempt...

You still could run into the problem of dickish sign placement, which ends up overriding your own sign. And not to mention, the future signs are still useless aside from some personal pleasure.

Really, the signs shouldn't have been an obstacle, but stayed as a goal only. They shouldn't have been so prevalent in the level, but rarely seen posts that automatically take you to the time you want to go when you cross them.

One such moment of achievement comes from one of the worst levels. Wacky Workbench act 2. The first past sign is hidden right under your nose. It's cleverly hidden from you, and you have to find your way to it. And since the placement of the sign was one that assured success, it felt like an actual achievement that I managed to even get to it. No need to burden me with having to plot a course that could end up being tedious to cross.

I think if they're widely available and easier to use, it's not so much of a problem that there's no real need to go to the future. You can time-jump just to see the sights, without doing so being a whole big issue.

As far as overwriting what you're carrying, they could have it so you can only pick up a sign if you aren't carrying one, and pressing the time travel button without building up a charge discards what you're carrying. That's a slightly higher chance of wasting it (either jumping the gun just before you've got a charge, or being stopped just before you press the button), but not too bad.

I feel that none of the main series games post-Heroes have had music as good as any of the main series games up-to-and-including Heroes. Its certainly not that the music in later games is bad, its just that these games dont have nearly as many songs that sticks in my head and have me listening to them over and over again as earlier games did.

Edited by batson

Sonic CD's US Soundtrack is just as good as the PAL one.

W-what? I thought we had the same music as the US in our Sonic CD?

Sure you mean JAP and not PAL? PAL is the rest of the world minus North America and Japan.

I don't remember us having a separate soundtrack to the US on our old versions...

Edited by Mogtaki

W-what? I thought we had the same music as the US in our Sonic CD?

Sure you mean JAP and not PAL? PAL is the rest of the world minus North America and Japan.

I don't remember us having a separate soundtrack to the US on our old versions...

No. The US got a completely different soundtrack. Europeans and Japanese people had the same music.

That is, until Gems Collection, where only Japan got the JAP soundtrack, US and EU had the US soundtrack, hence the confusion.

Luckily the 2011 port came round so we could actually choose out of both.

I don't know if this opinion is unpopular or not, but I dislike how in some games such as Sonic Unleashed, you often have to press multiple buttons just to get past some parts. I prefer when you only have to press one or two buttons in Sonic games. In older Sonic games, having less moves made it a bit more challenging, but it was also nice and simple.

Edited by colorfulzones104

I think Shade would be best if she stayed evil, but worked for Robotnik and not the Nocturnus.

I believe the same can be said of Shadow.

Except I'd prefer him as a freelance antagonist who stayed true to his genocidal intent. If he somehow reformed from that, instead desiring to cleanse the world of all its conflict, REGARDLESS of how he did so. It would make him all the more horrifying to Sonic if you ask me, a person who combines both aspects of his and Eggman's personality, and who while also desiring a better world, has a very morbid way of going about it.

How that differs from his current personality: serving GUN is far too complacent. They are the same humans who murdered those he cared about decades ago. He can't trust them to serve Maria's vision.

This all ties into the unpopular opinion that a deeper story need not necessarily be the bane of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know if this opinion is unpopular or not, but I dislike how in some games such as Sonic Unleashed, you often have to press multiple buttons just to get past some parts. I prefer when you only have to press one or two buttons in Sonic games. In older Sonic games, having less moves made it a bit more challenging, but it was also nice and simple.

That is a quicktime event, and I agree that the way they implemented in for the Daytime Stages was fairly poor. They really break the flow of the game and it's annoying to have to determine the fate of Sonic via how fast you can mash a random selection of buttons, rather than just simply moving fast enough to clear a pit using a ramp or something.

The only quicktime event I thought was very well-done was the Egg Dragoon ones, because of their cinematic effect and fitting placement. The rest varies. Some bad, some decent.

Edited by Homem

The only quicktime event I thought was very well-done was the Egg Dragoon ones, because of their cinematic effect and fitting placement. The rest varies. Some bad, some decent.

"Click X 60 times in 30 seconds to finish the boss"

Fuck that shit.

• Thumbs Up 1