Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The level design would still make the process tedious as all hell, considering how the very levels are designed to fuck with your speed in almost anyway possible. Just touch a signpost, and be done with it, it would be better that way.

I don't find it particularly difficult to get up to the point of sparkling; it's keeping hold of it for some arbitrary length of time beyond that that's difficult. Being able to time warp just by touching a sign would make it too easy, and distance it from the series' core concept of movement.

I don't find it particularly difficult to get up to the point of sparkling; it's keeping hold of it for some arbitrary length of time beyond that that's difficult. Being able to time warp just by touching a sign would make it too easy, and distance it from the series' core concept of movement.

You weren't paying attention when I stated the idea of making the sign an uncommon goal. Thin out the number of signs, and put them in places that are out of the players reach unless the player passes tasks that inspire fast movement so that the player feel accomplished when they reach a sign.

I feel that Sonic and the Black Knight had the best polish in persentation the series ever had.

Whilst I think that SatBK had some great production values and has the best writing the series has ever seen next to it's predecessor, I think that HD Unleashed is the game that has the best polish in presentation of any game in the series.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why not just explain your point instead of expecting me to guess.

Edited by hella jeff

Why not just explain your point instead of expecting me to guess.

I shouldn't have to explain your own mistake, but ok.

Movement is just another tool of exploration in video games. It's the way you get to your destination, whether it be fast paced, or slow should depend on the player. So, I'm a little shocked at how inane your cute attempt to rack up likes was. laugh.png

And it's not like exploring a level to reach a certain goal can't be fast paced, especially when you know the goal you are working to. Hell, if there's one aspect I like in Sonic CD, is that it inspired fast paced movement for exploration, more than almost all of the other games. (At least in the good levels). Mostly when it came to looking for the generators. In the good levels like Quartz Quardrant, and Palmtree Panic you're racing to reach the robot generator which you find in the present in shambles. So you already have your encouragement, and from there on out you have your goal, to find that machine and break it in the past in a fact pace, now if only travelling to the past wasn't so stupid.

I shouldn't have to explain your own mistake, but ok.

Yes you should because you're the one who accused him of making the mistake, and making vague statements then expecting people to read your mind is not a good debate practice.

I'm going to spout this one out here, maybe not everyone will agree with me, but I think I need to say it...

Sonic Unleashed was a (much better) re-attempt at Sonic 06.

The similarities between the two productions is remarkable:

The starting point of Sonic 06 was "What if Sonic was real?". The Starting point of Unleashed was "What if Sonic was in the real world?"

Sonic 06 was orginally going to have daytime setting changes. Unleashed has Night and Day versions of almost all the levels.

A mindless god-like being threatens to destroy the world as we know it, turning it into a world of darkness and dispair. Sonic is accompanied by and be-friends a companion who unknowningly has a connection with this being.

A demi-god (or part of it) is sealed within a being. It gives the being special powers, but at a price (not ever being able to cry for Elise, having his appearence drastically changed for Sonic).

Interactive hubs where you talk to the people of the world to gain insight and backstory. They people also give you missions.

The Demi-God has many minions.

Sonic dies at the last story of 06. Sonic nearly dies (twice) at the end of unleashed.

Sonic parts with his new companion at the end and it's strongly implied that they'll never see each other agian. However, the ending is upbeat.

Both attempt to reboot the franchise, without directly destroying previous cannon (well, except for Sonic Advance 3. let's not talk about that. And Rush. And Kinda SA2. And every Sonic game featuring the chaos emeralds...).

I know a few of the things I said could go for adventure as well, but I think both Sonic 06 and Unleashed wanted to continue the "spirt" of the adventure games, whilst not being srict sequels like SA2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good observation, except Elise's glowy orb-o-death isn't really said to be because of Iblis... or anything else for that matter. She just... HAS it.

The Starting point of Unleashed was "What if Sonic was in the real world?"
I never really had that impression in Unleashed, for example we had a bunch of fictional locations and Earth didn't look like the real one at all.

Othewise, well-observed.

Edited by Homem

I have something of an unpopular opinion; for as much shit that's wrong with Chronicles, I didn't mind it's characterization...at least for the likes of Rouge, Knuckles, and Amy. I'll admit they're not written to really deep or interesting, but it's definitely better than being characterized as basically parody of yourself.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

I don't know, I agree about Knuckles (even if he might be a little too hostile), but making up boyfriends that don't exist just to annoy your loved one and then drop the act as soon as he acts nice to you sounds pretty assholish to me.

Of course, Sonic himself was also an asshole in that game, but you get the idea. I do agree that SOME of the characters in Chronicles weren't too bad, but I definitely don't think Amy was one of them. In fact, I'd tie her with Sonic in having it the worst.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I have something of an unpopular opinion; for as much shit that's wrong with Chronicles, I didn't mind it's characterization...at least for the likes of Rouge, Knuckles, and Amy. I'll admit they're not written to really deep or interesting, but it's definitely better than being characterized as basically parody of yourself.

I really didn't like Knux's characterization in Chronicles. Especially considering that he was picking on Sonic in an incredibly fickle fashion.

We know that Knuckles is envious of Sonic's free lifestyle and lack of obligations and that can generate some degree of animosity from him. But acting like pretty much everyone else in "condemning" Sonic for being away for a while and saying that he's not got any right to steer the way the team goes about things (Not that Sonic ever expressed any desire to do so before. Chalk it up to Chronicles' crapola writing) is pretty rich for Knuckles to say when he's busy guarding a rock on an island in the sky and has no obligations to anyone else himself.

Also, Amy's relationship with Sonic being toned back and written well? I don't see how her making up an imaginary boyfriend in order to evoke jealousy in Sonic is any less obsessive than a lot of her actions in her other portrayals.

Also, Amy's relationship with Sonic being toned back and written well? I don't see how her making up an imaginary boyfriend in order to evoke jealousy in Sonic is any less obsessive than a lot of her actions in her other portrayals.

Trying the schoolyard-level jealousy gambit is a hell of a lot toned down compared to how she was in Battle or Sonic X (and amounts to more than "Generic Anime Stereotype #3" that she had been in the regular works for years at that point). I know we've already discussed in the past whether or not she was just as obsessive or whether she was still poorly written, but the mere fact that she wasn't a caricature of herself in Chronicles can easily justify why people prefer her characterization in it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

I never really had that impression in Unleashed, for example we had a bunch of fictional locations and Earth didn't look like the real one at all.

Othewise, well-observed.

I guess it's a case of the end result being different from the starting point. All the locations in Sonic Unleashed are (losely) based on real places though.

I got my sources for Unleashed from Retro: http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_Unleashed

Ugh, I hated Amy in Battle so much.

"This robot is Sonic's baby? He's practicing for our little one!"

Amy you are such a despicable little shit to the point that you actually said that you'd support Sonic even if he was an evil bastard. But even that doesn't compare to how much of a thorn in my side you were in Battle.

Oh yeah, don't remind me of that line in 06. Even before Clement brought it to attention, it still annoyed me.

And many consider that to be one of her better moments.

Amy was completely unconvinced that Sonic did what Silver accused him of anyway, and by extension probably believed that, even if Sonic was in some way involved, it wouldn't be due to own malice. Responsibility doesn't indicate intent, which is all Silver said.

• Thumbs Up 1

The whole choosing Sonic over the world thing? I really don't see what's so terrible about that.

It's terrible because it's pretty much Amy's current characterization summed up in one line: She's a mindless fan girl to the point of insanity.

Amy is not the first nor the last character nor even person to value a friend over the rest of the world at large, so calling her insane on this example alone feels like reaching. If you would sacrifice your best friend and potential lover immediately for a prophecy in which you're not even convinced it's true (and, even assuming it was, that it wasn't due to him becoming an "evil bastard" as, again, responsibility does not indicate intent), more power to you I guess, but I honestly wouldn't want you at my side when the chips were down.

• Thumbs Up 1

It wouldn't be so bad in itself, but then once Silver's finished explaining the situation (well, in his point of view anyway), she then says something along the likes of "Even if that was true..." Ergo, making it look like she'd still stick by his side if he suddenly turned evil. Yes, ditching your friends at the drop of a hat if they might be evil when it's clear they probably aren't is obviously not a good idea, but like the rest of 06, there must have been another way they could have worded that.

All in all, it's just another case of unfortunate writing that doesn't do wonders for Amy.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

Silver didn't explain the situation any clearer the second time. All he said is "Sonic is responsible for this event, so I have to kill him." Nothing he said indicated Sonic turned evil.