Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

The same thing could almost be said about SG. I don't see that many people praising that anymore or find it all that memorable either. Also, everytime a new Sonic game is announced people seem to always forget about the previous game and bring up that dreaded Sonic cycle.

If you have the PC version it will never get old...awesome mods get released from time to time and make it feel fresh...mainly why I don't play the console version anymore, even then I would say SG wins over Colors due to the nostalgia it brings to many, and the fact that they used the right type of gameplay for modern sonic again, instead of making him slow and frustrating like they did in Colors.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it is popular opinion that Sonic Heroes isn't as bad as 'they' make it out to be, than who are 'they' ?

I can be a they.

Since the 'Sonic friends suck' opinion has been discussed quite a lot here, I think I'd like to point that (though I don't think they suck), the 'Sonic friends suck' phenomenon is a self-fulfilling loop, the less people like them, the more useless they're going to become.

Hmmm not entirely. It's (most likely) true that Sonic Team's left them to rot because people were complaining about them, but they still have the option of fixing the characters rather than just neglecting them.

even then I would say SG wins over Colors due to the nostalgia it brings to many, and the fact that they used the right type of gameplay for modern sonic again,

Haha

Hmmm not entirely. It's (most likely) true that Sonic Team's left them to rot because people were complaining about them, but they still have the option of fixing the characters rather than just neglecting them.

That's the thing, they're under the impression that nobody likes the characters and would rather never see them again, which is exactly what they're doing. They definitely can fix them, but they feel nobody wants them to be fixed and be left to rot.

That's the thing, they're under the impression that nobody likes the characters and would rather never see them again, which is exactly what they're doing. They definitely can fix them, but they feel nobody wants them to be fixed and be left to rot.

Then why are they still around? Yeah yeah, we got Unleashed and Colors and Sonic 4, which barely had anyone aside from Sonic, Eggman, and Tails, but everyone showed up in Generations and they still stick around for spinoffs. I don't think they're so dumb as to think literally no one wants them; they're trying to have it both ways, technically keeping the characters around for their fans but giving them massively reduced roles to satisfy the people who don't like them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Then why are they still around? Yeah yeah, we got Unleashed and Colors and Sonic 4, which barely had anyone aside from Sonic, Eggman, and Tails, but everyone showed up in Generations and they still stick around for spinoffs. I don't think they're so dumb as to think literally no one wants them; they're trying to have it both ways, technically keeping the characters around for their fans but giving them massively reduced roles to satisfy the people who don't like them.

Then I suppose the people who don't like them are just going to have to find another franchise, or learn to tolerate the existence of these characters, because this willy-nilly compromise crap is ruining any chances of the other characters getting opportunities to actually show what they're made of (Which is something you wouldn't expect to come from me, who constantly preaches for having a middle ground in this franchise that constantly goes between tones, gameplay styles, and stories like a see-saw).

Edited by Malpercio

Then I suppose the people who don't like them are just going to have to find another franchise, or learn to agree to disagree, because this willy-nilly compromise crap is ruining any chances of the other characters getting opportunities to actually show what they're made of (Ironic coming from me, who constantly preaches for having a middle ground in this otherwise extreme leaning franchise).

Ooor Sonic Team can stop pussyfooting around, dedicate some time towards fixing the story and characters instead of ignoring them, and try to bring the two sides together rather than simply trying not to alienate them.

Ooor Sonic Team can stop pussyfooting around, dedicate some time towards fixing the story and characters instead of ignoring them, and try to bring the two sides together rather than simply trying not to alienate them.

That's what I was trying to say, albeit in more words than needed.

Edited by Malpercio

they're trying to have it both ways, technically keeping the characters around for their fans but giving them massively reduced roles to satisfy the people who don't like them.

And therein lies the problem: trying to please two different subsections of fans. By doing this, they just end up pleasing no one, leaving Sonic Team even MORE confused as to what to do next.

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

And therein lies the problem: trying to please two different subsections of fans. By doing this, they just end up pleasing no one, leaving Sonic Team even MORE confused as to what to do next.

The problem is more that they're trying to please two different groups in mutually exclusive directions. You can't have characters and not have characters. Thankfully I think the root of the problem goes deeper than that. People didn't start complaining about the other characters simply because they existed (even if that's what it appears to have progressed to); they started because the characters have been poorly written and poorly used for a long time. You make the characters interesting and entertaining, you learn how to use them properly, and you'll win back most of the people complaining about them and make the people who like them happier. Anyone who's still complaining after that, you could only win them over by scuttling the series and driving out everyone else, so fuck 'em.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say SG wins over Colors due to the nostalgia it brings to many, and the fact that they used the right type of gameplay for modern sonic again, instead of making him slow and frustrating like they did in Colors.

Yeah, yeah nostalgia and that jazz. It's cool and all but all this nostalgia is starting to wear thin to me and I would rather see something new and fresh like what they did with Colors or Unleashed again. Those games doesn't need to rely on the nostalgia to get people attention or for them to like it. Also, I prefer if they slow Sonic down and not make him really really fast.

Edited by sonfan1984

Yeah, that's essentially the gist of it. They're trying to please everyone, instead of just doing the logical thing and just fucking fix them. I understand the characters are a little broken and directionless, and Sonic Team aren't the best writers in the gaming community, but they at least had something before.

Blue Spheres is just so boring to play for me. I'll still play those Special Stages over the half pipe ones in Sonic 2 though. I can't even beat a couple of the ones in Sonic 2 without abusing save states.

Blue Spheres is just so boring to play for me. I'll still play those Special Stages over the half pipe ones in Sonic 2 though. I can't even beat a couple of the ones in Sonic 2 without abusing save states.

I can't beat any of the Blue Sphere ones without abusing save states.

Speaking of Special Stages, I'm not sure whether or not it's unpopular, but I find Sonic 4: Episode 2's Special Stages to be the best in the series.

Speaking of Special Stages, I'm not sure whether or not it's unpopular, but I find Sonic 4: Episode 2's Special Stages to be the best in the series.

Even tho they're exactly like Sonic 2's, Sonic 3D Blast Saturn, and Sonic Rush =/

Not even the Special Stages you listed are "exactly" like each other in terms of control and aesthetics. You'd be hard-pressed to argue against someone lamenting the controls in Heroes' Special Stages and not saying much about Sonic 3D Blast's.

I'm not particularly keen on any special stage. They're a nice distraction, but either you have to do them all over a period of time where it's like "erugh I'm not done yet" or you can do them all in one go to get them out the way but then it's like "gah I'm spending all my time on special stages at the moment".

Oh the dilemma.

Not even the Special Stages you listed are "exactly" like each other in terms of control and aesthetics. You'd be hard-pressed to argue against someone lamenting the controls in Heroes' Special Stages and not saying much about Sonic 3D Blast's.

They all follow the same basic premise tho; half-pipe, collect rings. I'm not saying Episode II's special stages are bad, but I don't see what's so different compared to it's predecessors.

They all follow the same basic premise tho; half-pipe, collect rings. I'm not saying Episode II's special stages are bad, but I don't see what's so different compared to it's predecessors.

Well, Komodin didn't say they were the most unique special stages; he said they were the best in the series. xP

Why? They're the easiest in the series.

The periodic speeding up makes me panic and screw up constantly until it's just not fun anymore.

I kinda failed to cover that other Sonic characters would only become more useless (and probably eventually disappear) if the general consensus is that they're crap and should be ignored, which a lot of people who like to complain about 'Sonic's shitty friends'  (which I think were always a minority anyway) tend to abide by , but I think that despite this Sega should  know that characters should be improved in response to this, rather than indeed ignore them. 

I do think Sega are probably taking the other characters out of the way for a while and  are going to put them to more active use again, because a lot of people did get sick of them when they were highly prominent and frankly I can see why, IIRC it was confirmed that Knuckles will be used more in future.

Edited by Mysterics

Even tho they're exactly like Sonic 2's, Sonic 3D Blast Saturn, and Sonic Rush =/

Besides what Nepenthe has already said: Sonic 2's had Tails' crappy AI and the equally lousy obstacle placement in the later Stages; I've never played the Sega Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, so I can't give a proper opinion of its Special Stages (though they do look groovy); and, Sonic Rush's were alright, but ultimately not anything special.

Edited by Komodin

Sonic 4 Episode 2 has some damn good special stages, although I really do wish the next time special stages appear in a game, they are something completely different than what we've seen before. I'm tired of trying to get X amount of rings in a halfpipe, tunnel or on a plane.

Also, this:

...I think that Sonic 4: Episode II has an awesome soundtrack.