Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Griffith got better with time. By Unleashed I loved him. I'm still trying to like Smith. He's got the attitude down, but his voice is so deep. Sonic has never been deep sounding so it's hard for me to get used to. He does sound his age though.

But I digress, I'm one of the few people who HATED, HAAAAAAAATED Colors. I've made more than one post about how much this game pisses me off. In fact, I'll just copy and past my opinion on Colors from another thread.

"...When the previews of this game were all over the net and people were calling the best Sonic game in years, I was stoked. I loved Unleashed, but thought it (like many other fans) could do without the Werehog. It had the crazy speed that drew me into Sonic games in the first place. When I saw Colors, it looked like all that I wanted in a Sonic game. Speed, no silly gimmicks, some platforming (that didn't break up the speed element), and good level design. I recall when people said it looked like a knock off of Galaxy. I was so offened! This was Sonic Colors, not "Super Sonic Galaxy"!

I played it at Comic-con! I even attended the pre-release event in Bryant Park. I watched Cash Cash sing live! I threw on the ice skates, got my Sonic hat, and EVERYTHING! I was so excited for this game! It was going to be so worth my money!

And then I bought it.

And I beat it in four days.

AND I HATED IT.

I tried to like it! I really did! It didn't even feel like a Sonic game. The levels felt clunky with way too much platforming and not really enough speed. Which is a shame because Sonic himself had speed and acceleration! Both are important! Practically 80% of the game was slow, 2-D, tedious, Mario-esque platforming (Remember those shitty yellow spring levels?). Yes, I just said that. It hurts to say, but that's how it felt.

When Sonic was actually running it was very empty. No obstables, just running. I would have LIKED some bottomless pits and spikes. Also, why did the game have so many levels? What was it, 42 or so? That seemed great in theory, but in execution it was poor. If it wasn't necessary to do them all, I think it would have been better. Also it's especially crappy when some levels were nothing but jumping or hover/light-dashing an entire level. That's not how Sonic works.

The plot I was okay with. I don't expect much when it comes to plot in Sonic. However, the "humorous" dialog that everyone raved about was so cheesy and lame that I could have strangled the writers! I didn't find anything remotely funny minus Sonic's copyright speech, which was worth a few giggles.

The music, aside from Planet Wisp and Aquarium Park, was awful. ESPECIALLY "Reach for the Stars", all of the variations for Starlight Carnival, and worst of all "Speak with your Heart". Terrible music. Ugh. The vocal tracks in that game were horrible. I can't think of cornier vocal tracks, aside from Sonic R music... but that stuff has a charm. XD

Lastly, the mutiplayer was a joke. I don't know if Sonic games can do co-op ever after playing that mess!

I guess the thing that really hurt with this game was that I expected SO MUCH. That's what this has over all of the other terrible Sonic games. I poured a lot of emotion in this and got a shitty product in return. With all that said, I do like what this game did for the series. It shed some light on Sonic which is always good! And the DS version was pretty fun!

But I would never play this game again. I sold my copy and used the money to buy Generations.

So yeah... worst Sonic game I ever played. Give me 06 for a better time and some laughs please."

....yup. Hate this game. People think this game is great and I'll never see why.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is a little strange that you hate it, a lot of work was put into making the game, even all the orchestrated tracks. I guess maybe you're more of a new age Sonic player? They all seem to love the speed more than the other elements which made Sonic famous which are the elements of the game you seem to hate (colourful and imaginative levels, great music, colourful characters).

Oh well, no big deal. I don't like the Sonic Colors level in Generations if that's something.

Oh well, no big deal. I don't like the Sonic Colors level in Generations if that's something.

Few people actually do. Even I got tired of both Planets Wisps halfway through.

It is a little strange that you hate it, a lot of work was put into making the game, even all the orchestrated tracks. I guess maybe you're more of a new age Sonic player? They all seem to love the speed more than the other elements which made Sonic famous which are the elements of the game you seem to hate (colourful and imaginative levels, great music, colourful characters).

No. I like the classics. I like crazy stage design. Sonic CD isn't exactly the fastest of the classics and the levels are all over the place in design but I really enjoy it. Colors... man, it just doesn't do a thing for me level design wise. It doesn't feel Sonic-like. It just feels clunky. I still believe it has platforming more like Mario and less like Sonic. =/ I've considered giving it another go, but I just can't see myself liking it.

And I stand by my feelings about the music. If it isn't Planet Wisp or Aquarium Park, it's gotta go. But I must say, that Starlight Carnival level in ASRT is fantastic. I just did not expect that amount of greatness from a Colors level.

Sonic CD is the fastest of the classics and a lot of it is emphasised to be fast x) Gotta go fast to travel through time and gotta go fast in the special stages.

Sonics always had platforming, straight from the second stage in the first Sonic game, of course. It's just that people aren't used to it when they play the modern games where going fast is concentrated more.

Whatabout this track? I've found even though who don't like the main theme love this one. The problem with it is the boss fight is so dang short that it kind of disappears.

Sonic CD is the fastest of the classics 

Eh, I don't see it. The fastest level in the game is Stardust Speedway. The rest, aside from Palmtree Panic, focus way more on platforming than speed. That's where part of the challenge lies. Trying to find a place in these levels to go fast enough to time travel. Though, in some cases, the game just gives you two springs to bounce between and you're good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Colors music terrible???? I can understand Reach for the Stars and Speak with Your Heart, but Tropical resort?Plaet Wisp? Sweet mountain? TERMINAL FREAKIN VELOCITY???! Those are some masterpieces that I can't see how you's hate them if you like Sonic music. Next thing you'll be saying is that both Unleasheds and generations soundtracks were ear rape.:P And I wouldn't go far as to say worse than 06. It is not. 

Colors music terrible???? I can understand Reach for the Stars and Speak with Your Heart, but Tropical resort?Plaet Wisp? Sweet mountain? TERMINAL FREAKIN VELOCITY???! Those are some masterpieces that I can't see how you's hate them if you like Sonic music. Next thing you'll be saying is that both Unleasheds and generations soundtracks were ear rape.tongue.png And I wouldn't go far as to say worse than 06. It is not. 

W-W-WHAT??

Did you just call Sonic 06 music EAR RAPE??

Have you listened to the track? C'mon, man, that's the only good aspect of the game.

W-W-WHAT??

Did you just call Sonic 06 music EAR RAPE??

Have you listened to the track? C'mon, man, that's the only good aspect of the game.

No....? I said the game 06 isn't better than colors. Not by a mile. The music is meh. It has some good tracks, but a lot of it to me is forgettable.

No....? I said the game 06 isn't better than colors. Not by a mile. The music is meh. It has some good tracks, but a lot of it to me is forgettable.

Because the game Sonic 06 is meant to be forgotten >:I And everyone knows it.

Besides the music point, eboni, I agree with EVERYTHING in your post. I honestly don't HATE Colors like I did when I first played it, but I still find it very, very off-putting and easily one of my least favorite 3D Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess I'll be the popular opinion guy again and say I don't see what's so off-putting about Colors' gameplay or level design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic CD is the fastest of the classics and a lot of it is emphasised to be fast x) Gotta go fast to travel through time and gotta go fast in the special stages.

Sonics always had platforming, straight from the second stage in the first Sonic game, of course. It's just that people aren't used to it when they play the modern games where going fast is concentrated more.

Whatabout this track? I've found even though who don't like the main theme love this one. The problem with it is the boss fight is so dang short that it kind of disappears.

Sigh... -__-

No, the final boss theme is lackluster too. Guys I really dislike this game's music, I won't think any differently about it. Most of it I can't remember to be honest. I'm trying to recall what Asteroid Coaster sounds like and it's failing me. I can't say that for most Sonic games. =/ I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic 2006's music either but I can remember some tracks and snippets of others that stand out.

Planet Wisp is rather pretty and Aquarium Park has a nice drum and bass sound that I enjoy, but that's it. In fact, though those are nice songs I can't be bother to listen to them leisurely like many other Sonic tunes. Planet Wisp Act 2 is my favorite theme in Colors but I don't have it in my music library. However, I've heard some nice remakes. It's one of the worst Sonic soundtracks I've heard since Shadow's game and Secret Rings. I'm sorry, it's just not good.

If Sonic CD was meant to rely on speed than platforming then Collision Chaos wouldn't have bumpers all over the place and Wacky Workbench wouldn't have floors that bounce you high into the sky. Even though Stardust Speedway comes off as the ideal "speedy" level in the game, there's so much interference in the level itself that the speed concept isn't always there. Sonic 2 and S3&K are much more speedy. It's not that I hate platforming. I just don't like excessive 2D platforming breaking up the main emphasis, speed. Some levels were a minute or two long and required nothing but jumping or wisps. No. That is not Sonic to me. Why do that? Maybe if these were optional I would have been okay, like missions, BUT THESE WERE MANDATORY LEVELS. WHY ARE YELLOW SPRING STAGES WITH BOTTOMLESS PITS MANADTORY? God I hated those levels! They are so not Sonic!!! They aren't even fun, they're tedious!!

Man, I just have so much hate for this game. Just... ugh.

Reading that broke my heart. 

While we're kinda on music, I enjoyed Knuckles' rap songs in SA2. All of them. I have no shame.

Edited by thapoint09 (temp)

Reading that broke my heart. 

While we're kinda on music, I enjoyed Knuckles' rap songs in SA2. All of them. I have no shame.

Colors broke mine too. :( But I think most people like his raps because they're amusing. And some of the music was great. I freaking love Death Chamber.

WHY ARE YELLOW SPRING STAGES WITH BOTTOMLESS PITS MANADTORY?

I've never understood why people freak out about these. Are they the ideal Sonic gameplay? Shit no (what is, anymore). Are they horrible for that? Shit no. They're short little diversions with a pretty decent gimmick, and there's only like two of them total. Like, in the midst of all that the series has gone through, for these to get any more grief than a shrug, I just don't get it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, here's another reasonably popular opinion, courtesy of the Meh Guy:

I like Sonic Colors. In fact, it's one of my favorite Sonic games released so far.

• Thumbs Up 9

Despite having less content, Colors is a better game than Unleashedor Gens, at least to me. It's a far more polished experience and lack's Unleashed's general ass backwardness and Genereation's feeling of being rushed out the door.

I've never understood why people freak out about these. Are they the ideal Sonic gameplay? Shit no (what is, anymore). Are they horrible for that? Shit no. They're short little diversions with a pretty decent gimmick, and there's only like two of them total. Like, in the midst of all that the series has gone through, for these to get any more grief than a shrug, I just don't get it.

Yeah I honestly find them pretty easy too and if you move forward on some parts the spring will move with you anyway making you go faster if its going too slow.

I don't think it's an enjoyable gimmick, but I see your point. If I complain about this I should also complain about Werehog, treasure hunting, kart racing, mechs, guns, and every other gimmick that isn't running loops and such.

So instead I'll say that I didn't find them very fun as opposed to other gimmicks which I really liked.

You know, I really enjoyed the DS version of Colors. If I had a chance to play it again I'd go and master that one. I won't say Colors is the worst game ever. It's not broken, glitchy, or unplayable. It's got alternate paths and re-playability. Pretty graphics and an interesting power up gimmick. I CAN see why people like it. But it just doesn't do it for me. If anything, I seriously wish I could see what you guys do. I'll simply leave it at that.

The Werehog Debicle:

Personally, I don't like the concept of the werehog itself.  It doesn't look or sound appealing to me in the slightest.  However, in the Wii version of the game (let me empasize that: in the Wii version of the game), I actually think the Werehog stages were much more enjoyable than the daytime stages.  Sure the controls were slippery, but you know what?  They were fun.  You know what else had slippery controls?  The original Super Mario Bros.  Not to mention, at least in the Werehog stages, you didn't have to control Sonic like he was some sort of buggy protoype go-kart.  Seriously, what excuse could there possibly be for it being so hard to go to the left or right?  At least in Sonic Colors it only became that way when you were running really fast, but in the Gaia Temples?  Really?  I have to really stretch just to make a very easy turn.

Sonic Colors is the game the broke the Sonic cycle!

Sonic Colors was a good game.  It made worthwhile modifications to the gameplay engine, such as fixing that turning problem I just pointed out, and did away with the unnecessary side-components of the game, allowing just solid platforming all the way through... but I'm of the minority who seem to think it was actually a step backwards.  Yes, I do love the modifications made to the gameplay engine, but the complaints I have for Colors outweigh the complaints I have for Unleashed.

• There's little to no variety in enemies.
  • Some of the Wisps could have easily just been abilities instead of powerups.
  • Repeated bosses.  They seriously couldn't think of more than three original bosses?
  • Speaking of bosses, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE BOSSES pretty much boils down to "press A until dead."
  • The level design is bland.
  • The boss design is bland.
  • The levels are too short.

With that all said, the game is a fun and enjoyable game, but if Sonic Unleashed, which in my opinion had some of the best bosses and levels despite the werehog and crippling controls, could be met with such poor reception for one little error, then why does a game that's one step forward two steps backs get treated like a masterpiece?

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Unleashed, which in my opinion had some of the best bosses and levels despite the werehog and crippling controls

Unpopular opinion time.

I don't really care for Unleashed's day stages anymore, partially because of the crippling controls. I only figured this out after playing Colors, actually.

• Thumbs Up 2