Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

In regards to Amy Rose, I think people sort of miss the point of her character.  Now, perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't see Amy and her "obsession" with Sonic as a serious plot point.  Calling her crazy or obsessed or stalkerish is sort of misguided.  Amy represents an exaggeration of the crazy girlhood crush.  I don't see her as old enough to know that what she is doing would be perceived as creepy if she were older.  Take, for example, her trying to get Sonic to marry her.  I don't see it as a genuine understanding of the commitment required for such a relationship and deciding that she wants to be with Sonic in such a way, but that she's young and sees it as black-and-white "love automaically entails marriage" sort of vibe.

In other words, I see her as a young girl being, well, a young girl.  Not crazy, nor unhealthily obsessed, nor stalkerish.  Just being naive and innocent.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 8

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Calling Amy a stalker is more like going by the simplest part of her character than it is actually what she is, even though some like myself are guilty of calling her such. Obviously there's more to her when you look at her actions more critically:

Games like SA1 where she first gets a major role beyond damsel in distress like in CD aren't exactly the best examples to call her a stalker. She was very mild with her crush in that game, and she had her own separate adventure that was more about protecting a friend than looking for Sonic.

SA2 is where she starts becoming a bit more obsessive, but even then she's doesn't take it too far despite her actions. She wants Sonic to marry her in exchange for getting him out of his cell, for example, but while she frees him anyway despite him turning down that idea, it says a lot that she went so far as to break into a heavily guarded military prison just to free a friend of hers.

Although come around Heroes, it doesn't help her case where her encounter with Team Sonic is essentially "Marry me or I'll knock you off a building." And then she chases Sonic all across the Final Fortress. Granted, she continues to help her friends, but she becomes a lot more obsessive over looking for Sonic.

ShTH? Okay, that's like the only game where Sonic is FAR from her mind. Although kinda hard to use when she had such a small role in the game.

Sonic 06? She does save Sonic from Silver, but that was damn near the only reason she was even around.

Unleashed? Kind of the same thing.

Generations? Too small a role to make any kind of point for or against her.

The thing when it comes to applying the "stalker" label is that her focus is so dominantly driven towards her attraction to Sonic. It's not a bad thing to have an obsessive crush on a character, but fiction tends to favor those who have a lot more on their minds than just one thing. Amy becomes damn near two dimensional because of this; she has more than two dimensions, but the other dimensions are so small and given less attention to her character than the other aspects of her.

TL;DR - another example of mediocre writing making the characters suffer and receive criticism

I don't think Amy would get so much ire if she wasn't meant to be heroine of the series, and therefore the sole representation of the girls. And I don't think people like the message she's giving being so two dimensional. I mean none of the characters are particularly deep or interesting, but I think Amy has it the worst to the detriment of her own character.

Calling Amy a stalker is more like going by the simplest part of her character than it is actually what she is, even though some like myself are guilty of calling her such. Obviously there's more to her when you look at her actions more critically:

Games like SA1 where she first gets a major role beyond damsel in distress like in CD aren't exactly the best examples to call her a stalker. She was very mild with her crush in that game, and she had her own separate adventure that was more about protecting a friend than looking for Sonic.

SA2 is where she starts becoming a bit more obsessive, but even then she's doesn't take it too far despite her actions. She wants Sonic to marry her in exchange for getting him out of his cell, for example, but while she frees him anyway despite him turning down that idea, it says a lot that she went so far as to break into a heavily guarded military prison just to free a friend of hers.

Although come around Heroes, it doesn't help her case where her encounter with Team Sonic is essentially "Marry me or I'll knock you off a building." And then she chases Sonic all across the Final Fortress. Granted, she continues to help her friends, but she becomes a lot more obsessive over looking for Sonic.

ShTH? Okay, that's like the only game where Sonic is FAR from her mind. Although kinda hard to use when she had such a small role in the game.

Sonic 06? She does save Sonic from Silver, but that was damn near the only reason she was even around.

Unleashed? Kind of the same thing.

Generations? Too small a role to make any kind of point for or against her.

The thing when it comes to applying the "stalker" label is that her focus is so dominantly driven towards her attraction to Sonic. It's not a bad thing to have an obsessive crush on a character, but fiction tends to favor those who have a lot more on their minds than just one thing. Amy becomes damn near two dimensional because of this; she has more than two dimensions, but the other dimensions are so small and given less attention to her character than the other aspects of her.

TL;DR - another example of mediocre writing making the characters suffer and receive criticism

how was unleashed the same thing as 06 for Amy? Her role was nothing like 06. Sonic saves Amy and then she basically just becomes a character that's there to cheer on sonic. Although hilariously I like unleashed Amy probably more than any other was she's been characterized. Also you left out free riders.:/ Edited by Vanitas

And Chronicles. Which honestly makes it funny when people exalt her portrayal in that game when if anything it was worse or just as bad as certain portrayals because she's characterized as being so obsessive that she fabricates a non-existent person in order to toy with Sonic's feelings and is still characterized as being possessive. Let's not overlook her actual hopes that Eggman is dead.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 2

And Chronicles. Which honestly makes it funny when people exalt her portrayal in that game when if anything it was worse or just as bad as certain portrayals because she's characterized as being so obsessive that she fabricates a non-existent person in order to toy with Sonic's feelings and is still characterized as being possessive. Let's not overlook her actual hopes that Eggman is dead.

I think coming up with an imaginary boyfriend to make someone you like jealous(Which IS a real life tactic mind you) is a lot more bearable than somehow believing that said guy wants to raise a baby with you without any prior evidence to such, and hallucinating his image.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think coming up with an imaginary boyfriend to make someone you like jealous(Which IS a real life tactic mind you) is a lot more bearable than somehow believing that said guy wants to raise a baby with you without any prior evidence to such, and hallucinating his image.

That's very annoying writing too. Stands right next to Free Riders as being one of Amy's most irksome portrayals. But I still stand by my point as made in that post that Chronicles' portrayal of Amy is not as good as it's often made out to be by the fans.

Another little peeve of mine is the insistence that Big is a dumbass. This doesn't have a whole lot of credibility. Big may be a bit dim but the huge lovable guy is clearly resourceful. Dude can live out in the wilderness within an open hut and just a fishing rod. Not to mention how he flew the Tornado 2 with at least some level of competence. Gotta respect his loyalty to his Froggy mate too, taking on Chaos 6 just to get him back.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 3

I respect that, and I never said it was an absolute perfect portrayal either, but I honestly can't find much fault with the character as far as Chronicles is concerned.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Well, like I said, her character is more of an exaggeration.  If you looked at it from real life standards, it would seem a tad crazy, but it is a cartoon and as such, there's a lot more lenience as long as said lenience is for comedic purposes.  If, say, they tried to make a serious plot point with Team Rose's encounter with Team Sonic, then yeah, that would definitely portray her as a psychotic murderer.

But I do agree that her character is rather flat, and I'm certainly thankful that we now have Blaze as an alternative representative of the female demographic.  Though, really, I think it's only a problem depending on the girl in question.  Most of the female fans of Sonic I know in real life tend to favor Amy over Blaze, so unless my little group is the odd ball, she must have the right personality to appeal to her intended market, although that doesn't make her any less two-dimensional from a narrative standpoint.

Well, like I said, her character is more of an exaggeration.  If you looked at it from real life standards, it would seem a tad crazy, but it is a cartoon and as such, there's a lot more lenience as long as said lenience is for comedic purposes.  If, say, they tried to make a serious plot point with Team Rose's encounter with Team Sonic, then yeah, that would definitely portray her as a psychotic murderer.

But I do agree that her character is rather flat, and I'm certainly thankful that we now have Blaze as an alternative representative of the female demographic.  Though, really, I think it's only a problem depending on the girl in question.  Most of the female fans of Sonic I know in real life tend to favor Amy over Blaze, so unless my little group is the odd ball, she must have the right personality to appeal to her intended market, although that doesn't make her any less two-dimensional from a narrative standpoint.

Well outside of shipping Sonic with her, Amy is probably among the more divisive characters; nowhere near to the degree of Shadow obviously, but still very controversial nonetheless. I think it's because she gets so much attention, but she doesn't do anything or contribute aside from chasing Sonic's dick.

I think Amy works a lot better as a secondary character, someone who isn't apart of the major action and just there to provide some comic relief or a minor supporting role. I know Amy has her fans, but I honestly don't see her contributing a lot given the characterization Sonic Team's given her, and even back in the Adventure games when she was arguably the most tolerable, she didn't contribute much to the overall plot.

how was unleashed the same thing as 06 for Amy? Her role was nothing like 06. Sonic saves Amy and then she basically just becomes a character that's there to cheer on sonic. Although hilariously I like unleashed Amy probably more than any other was she's been characterized.

Because, like Sonic 06, her whole reason for being in the plot was to look for Sonic compared to the other games where she did more than just that. After they meet and Sonic saves her from a possessed crowd, she becomes nothing more than an NPC.

Also you left out free riders.:/

Yes I did, because as a general rule, I usually don't include spin-off titles.

Because, like Sonic 06, her whole reason for being in the plot was to look for Sonic compared to the other games where she did more than just that. After they meet and Sonic saves her from a possessed crowd, she becomes nothing more than an NPC. Yes I did, because as a general rule, I usually don't include spin-off titles.
Well there was sonic heroes. Her whole goal was to find and marry sonic. And as for the spinoff thing, it's still a horrible portrayal nonetheless whether its canon or not. It should still be used as a example as to how she shouldn't be characterized. It doesn't eliminate its credibility just because its not cannon.

Well outside of shipping Sonic with her, Amy is probably among the more divisive characters; nowhere near to the degree of Shadow obviously, but still very controversial nonetheless. I think it's because she gets so much attention, but she doesn't do anything or contribute aside from chasing Sonic's dick.

I think Amy works a lot better as a secondary character, someone who isn't apart of the major action and just there to provide some comic relief or a minor supporting role. I know Amy has her fans, but I honestly don't see her contributing a lot given the characterization Sonic Team's given her, and even back in the Adventure games when she was arguably the most tolerable, she didn't contribute much to the overall plot.

Well, I'm not exactly disagreeing with any of the criticisms she receives.  She is definitely a character of very little purpose aside from being crazy for Sonic.  I just think people sort of wrongly toss around the word "stalker" in regards to her character.  I mean, yes, I know that not everyone is being entirely literal, but still.

Also, I agree that she should just be a secondary character.  I mean, in SA1, I didn't mind her, but in SA2 onwards, she just became a "there just to be there" sort of character.  I mean, she was nice to have, but they sort of forced her into the central plot without really giving her anything to do.  What I like about SA1's story is that her subplot is subtly part of the overall plot.  It doesn't seem to do much, but it nevertheless connects relatively important pieces.  In SA2, she freed Sonic, reminded Shadow of Maria, etc. but there's no real reason as to why or how.  So yes, if they downplayed her a little, I wouldn't mind.

I think it's because she gets so much attention, but she doesn't do anything or contribute aside from chasing Sonic's dick.

Nah, you're wrong here. It's getting under Sonic's dick that's hot right now ;D...

EDIT: Okay, that was a lame attempt at a joke, I get it D:.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

No. Bad. 

...I don't have anything to say regarding Amy's usage aside from the fact that I still think Sonic 2006 was her most shoehorned appearance. 

It's less to do with looking at it by real life standards and more with execution. There's nothing wrong with exaggeration, but being an exaggeration doesn't excuse a character from criticism; not everything can come off as comedic, and Amy's obsession certainly doesn't fall in that category. Were that even known to be the case, people wouldn't be criticizing her as much for it.

Well there was sonic heroes. Her whole goal was to find and marry sonic.

And as for the spinoff thing, it's still a horrible portrayal nonetheless whether its canon or not. It should still be used as a example as to how she shouldn't be characterized. It doesn't eliminate its credibility just because its not cannon.

i'm gonna say it once again: as a general rule, I usually don't include spin-offs. I don't care whether the characterization is good or bad.

Sometimes I do include them, but people hardly take notice to those games, so it's not going to mean as much as it would a main series game.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's less to do with looking at it by real life standards and more with execution. There's nothing wrong with exaggeration, but being an exaggeration doesn't excuse a character from criticism; not everything can come off as comedic, and Amy's obsession certainly doesn't fall in that category. Were that even known to be the case, people wouldn't be criticizing her as much for it.

Oh, I'm not trying to say she can't be criticized.  I can see that to most people, it doesn't come across the way it was intended, but then there are people who completely miss the point, though those are usually much younger fans.

Edited by Akito

Not sure where to post this, but I guess I could post it here.

The main issue with the boost in Unleashed imo is not how strong it is, but how easy it is to obtain.  Boost is so braindead easy to get in that game it's painful and the main reason why is because it spoon feeds you rings up the ass.  If you don't take any hits throughout each level, you can end every level with over 400 rings at a MINIMUM.  A good example is in Cool Edge Act 1.  You can get 100 rings within 15 SECONDS of that level.  It's ridiculous.  

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm gonna say it once again: as a general rule, I usually don't include spin-offs. I don't care whether the characterization is good or bad.     Sometimes I do include them, but people hardly take notice to those games, so it's not going to mean as much as it would a main series game.
you did but you had used that example for a different reason. You never used heroes as a example of Amy chasing sonic. And okay I can see where your coming from about spinoffs. But in this situation I think it would make sense to use free riders as it is a major example many people use to show Amy's craziness.:/

Blaze and Amy are both girls, but they are different concepts for different demographics.

While Amy is made to cater to the female demographic, Blaze is made to appeal to the same demographics that Sonic (character) does, the young male (shonen) demographic.

Blaze is pure Shonen fan-service (not sexual fanservice, but rather action fanservice) in the form of a cat.

the whole badass-guardian-princess-with-fire thing attracts the same demographics that likes Sonic as character, and the more action oriented aspect of the series.

Even her development is a story of "defrosting ice queen" which is a rather common male fantasy, the scene with Percival in SaTBK is quite an example of that, where she was first all set into kicking Sonic's ass, but a minute later she is all vulnerable and submissive, blushing and looking down, pure male wish fulfillment that is.

She has flaws that shows her vulnerabilities quite well, is as level-headed and as mature as Sonic, and reacts realistically to events, has well developed back-stories, motivations, values and relationships. She is an overall "realistic" character with some depth, and appeals well to the older fans of the franchise who would like better stories and more developed characters.

tl;dr Blaze is the concept of a female character that unlike Amy, has broad appeal with the male demographics.

• Thumbs Up 1

tl;dr Blaze is the concept of a female character that unlike Amy, has broad appeal with the male demographics.

I didn't say she didn't?

What I was saying was that while Amy captured the female demographic well, having her as the primary representative of the female demographic for the longest time (except for maybe Rouge, but let's steer clear of that minefield of a discussion) was kind of alienating to the "tomboy" fanbase.  Amy can capture the attention of female fans who are drawn to her sort of personality, but what of the female fans who wanted a more action-oriented female character... with less cleavage?  That's where Blaze comes in.

True, she does encapsulate many typically "male" fantasies, but she definitely has appeal in the female demographic as well.  I guess you could look at her as... well, pretty much any female in any superhero comic.  Many of them are composed of the "action fanservice" you described, but they nonetheless are also used to help draw in a female demographic, but of a different kind than characters like Amy.

That's, again, not at all saying she doesn't have male appeal.  In my opinion, truly well-written characters will have some sort of appeal, be it action, comedic, dramatic, or otherwise, to both male and female demographics regardless of their gender, and I think Blaze definitely captures that well.

Edited by Akito

you did but you had used that example for a different reason. You never used heroes as a example of Amy chasing sonic. 

Yes, I did. You weren't reading:

I think the word you're looking for is "unpopular", not "overrated and underrated". As for my opinion, I loved Sonic X, and found it to be the best Sonic cartoon. The show was brilliant, and had some of the best characterization for the Sonic cast I've seen. I seriously disagree with people who say it was crap.
AGREED!!!!!!!!
  • Thumbs Up 1