Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Exactly what about the "mobius" thing has gotten out of hand? Because I feel a need to remind you that the "Mobius" was the name of Sonic's world throughout all the media in the west before it was retconned to fit into the Japanese continuity of Sonic always being on Earth.

That was in the games, and there was no problem there. In the comics, there were so many B and C-rate trashy characters introduced that it just became confusing. It was hard to keep track of things going on with Mobius in the comics. That problem has gotten better with the comics focusing more on the main characters lately, though. I may not complain about it in the future if things continue to improve.

I don't want just main characters in the storylines, but I don't want one hundred (or more) characters to keep track of.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of unrelated points mixed in here, so I apologise if the post feels a little random and all over the place;

I don't agree at all that 'The writing has improved since Colours'.

However you look at it, both Colours and Generations have pitiful plots with barely any substance whatsoever. I'm not saying everything needs to be dark and gritty 'SRS BSNS', but I'd like it if it were at least something I could invest in somewhat. I'm not even kidding when I say that I prefer Shadow and 06's plots over Colours, Generations and maybe even Unleashed. Sure, they were ridiculous and a mess, but at least they were there. They were something to follow and pay attention to. Maybe it's just me, but I'd happily take a bad plot over little to no plot.

I also don't think Roger's voice fits Sonic at all. I haven't 'got used to it', and I don't think I ever will. No matter how hard I try, whenever he speaks, it sounds like the wrong voice is coming out of Sonic. It doesn't sound like the kind of voice that should come out of Sonic's mouth, in my opinion. I don't dislike Roger at all, I just don't think his voice is a good fit for Sonic in the slightest.

Sonic Riders is my second favourite Sonic game of all time and I love Jet as a character. He's had clear development over the trilogy and remains the one flat-out rival character who doesn't either become a friend or an anti-hero.

It bugs me when people say that the Sonic Adventure games have 'ages poorly' and are bad games by today's standards. Yes, they have their flaws, but I don't see how they're bad games by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and I liked Sonic X. Not the dub, mind. That was a mess. =|

I liked both episodes of Sonic 4. I'm not denying that episode 1 had its flaws, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

EDIT:

Oh, and to anyone who's still butthurtedly bitching along the lines of "BUT HIS NAME IS STILL ROBOTNIK, I WILL NEVER ACCEPT IT AS EGGMAN", kindly shut up.

Sorry, but in terms of game canon, the Western continuity was a lie. A fabrication made by Sega of America that the original creators hated. I don't care if you grew up with it; I did too. There comes a time when you have to realise that the Sonic mythos and universe you grew up with as a kid was all a lie. mellow.png Suck it up and accept that your precious Western continuity is an anachronism that is being kept alive solely by the Archie comics and that it has little to no place in the modern game canon.

At least now there's a single, relatively standardised game canon, this won't be a problem with kids growing up with the series today.

EDIT 2: Oh, another point.

"<insert game here> isn't canon because it's not a main series title".

I generally assume most Sonic games are canon UNLESS they have something in them that contradicts with previously established events, or if they're just flat out too ridiculous to count.

I'll admit this varies on a case-by-case basis from person to person, but a few ones in general that bug me are when people try and denounce the Riders and Storybook games as non-canon with little solid justification. The bigger problem here is that it usually becomes little more than "I don't think this game is canon because I don't like it".

I'll admit that most if not all of the 8-Bit games are very unlikely to be canon, but I'd say with a few small exceptions (Shuffle, Pinball Party), anything released since SA1 generally should be.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'd Say 8-bit Sonic 1 and maybe Sonic Triple Trouble (I suppose the Generations wanted poster makes Fang canon, and he's got to have appeared from somewhere and I doubt that Fighters or Drift 2 are any more canon). I say 8-bit Sonic 1 is sort of canon because I believe it to be an alternate telling of the 16-bit version, with Bridge, Jungle and Sky base being levels that the 16-bit version didn't bother with. (and vice versa for Marble, Spring Yard and Star light).

I agree that Sonic needs a bigger Rogues Gallery as he has too many friends.

I also think the friends should be playable again.

I wish that Silver would become a Knight Templar again.

I also think that Eggman is a stupid name.

Lastly, I believe Sonic and Blaze should get married.

I can't believe it! That blue hedgehod. I thought he liked me. I thought we had something! But no, he'd rather have that bitch from another dimension. I can't wrap my head around that.

Life lost its flavor to me, everything started looking so bland. It felt so pointless living in a world smeared with bullshit! He was a light in the darkness. Now I see he's just a fucker who doesn't care about anybody else's feelings. And MY feelings, even! What was he thinking. I'd rather just not live at all!... Today the two are getting married. They won't remember this as a great day, however. They will remember it as the day they ended my life. If I cared, this would be longer. Shadow, if you're reading this, know that you were my second option. But now I'm dead.

-Amy

This sounds like something out of some sort of Sonic romance fanfiction.

Amazing.

Popular Opinion? Sonic treats Amy very badly. He should just tell her straight that he doesn't want to be her boy friend.

Popular Opinion? Amy should find someone else, like Shadow who would treat her with respect.

Edited by NightwingFox

I can't believe it! That blue hedgehod. I thought he liked me. I thought we had something! But no, he'd rather have that bitch from another dimension. I can't wrap my head around that.

Life lost its flavor to me, everything started looking so bland. It felt so pointless living in a world smeared with bullshit! He was a light in the darkness. Now I see he's just a fucker who doesn't care about anybody else's feelings. And MY feelings, even! What was he thinking. I'd rather just not live at all!... Today the two are getting married. They won't remember this as a great day, however. They will remember it as the day they ended my life. If I cared, this would be longer. Shadow, if you're reading this, know that you were my second option. But now I'm dead.

-Amy

Sonic Shuffle said Amy's wish is to be a hero like Sonic. Unleashed and SA2 showed Amy having independent develoment

Sonic Shuffle said Amy's wish is to be a hero like Sonic. Unleashed and SA2 showed Amy having independent develoment

So? That doesn't mean her feelings don't exist.

Speaking of which, Sonic wouldn't settle down with anyone, let along someone who can keep him in check.

Oh, another point.

"<insert game here> isn't canon because it's not a main series title".

I generally assume most Sonic games are canon UNLESS they have something in them that contradicts with previously established events, or if they're just flat out too ridiculous to count.

I'll admit this varies on a case-by-case basis from person to person, but a few ones in general that bug me are when people try and denounce the Riders and Storybook games as non-canon with little solid justification. The bigger problem here is that it usually becomes little more than "I don't think this game is canon because I don't like it".

I'll admit that most if not all of the 8-Bit games are very unlikely to be canon, but I'd say with a few small exceptions (Shuffle, Pinball Party), anything released since SA1 generally should be.

THIS.

The funniest thing about fanon discontinuity is the fact that it has no factual basis, clearly indicating that it's nothing more than empty prejudiced bullshit. It's how people say that the events of ShTH can't possibly be canon because they dislike the fact that Shadow's daddy is an evil alien overlord or the degrading nature of the game itself to the Sonic series that shows personal bias rather than rationality regarding canon status.

NEWSFLASH! That's personal dislike towards the game and that factor has no impact whatsoever on the games official canonicity at the end of the day :3 The Storybook games, Shadow, Rush, all of them are canon whether you like it or not and that isn't going to change unless there's some sudden retcon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't understand the rationale in taking an additive approach to canon, by which I mean assuming everything is true until it proves itself false, because the very basis of the logic is faulty. We naturally assume things to be inconclusive until evidence arises to suggest that they are true; I mean, this right here was the very basis of that disagreement on character abilities in the "Over-thinking" topic, so I don't see why it's a logical foundation to be completely thrown to the wayside when we are discussing something like canon that should be held to a much bigger amount of critical scrutiny than "Well, Sega didn't say it didn't happen, so obviously it did!"

• Thumbs Up 6

I still don't understand the rationale in taking an additive approach to canon, by which I mean assuming everything is true until it proves itself false, because the very basis of the logic is faulty. We naturally assume things to be inconclusive until evidence arises to suggest that they are true; I mean, this right here was the very basis of that disagreement on character abilities in the "Over-thinking" topic, so I don't see why it's a logical foundation to be completely thrown to the wayside when we are discussing something like canon that should be held to a much bigger amount of critical scrutiny than "Well, Sega didn't say it didn't happen, so obviously it did!"

You mean how people try to argue Chronicles isn't' canon?

Uhm, I'm not sure what you mean by that, mostly because I've not been privy to a whole lot of Chronicles arguments around. If people are arguing that the game isn't canon on the basis that it has blatant, irreconcilable contradictions to what are universally considered canon entries, then sure, that's a pretty valid viewpoint.

You mean how people try to argue Chronicles isn't' canon?

People don't even need to argue about it's canonicity. That's already been set straight by Kevin Eva/Archangel. It isn't.

• Thumbs Up 4

Storytelling isn't a democratic process, it never works well trying to put in what everyone asks for but when a series goes on for a while and creatives change, they want to put their own mark on things and what is "canon" can change. That's why most contradictions occur in the end.

Look at the shit heaps that are comic continuities. Sure the characters are great but tying all the loose ends is an exercise in insanity.

You'll be here forever arguing about what is canon and what isn't. Most of the things will probably never be mentioned again anyway, so just take what you want from it and try and be happy with the whole thing. Probably the best you'll get tongue.png

Edited by Andrew Albacia

I was actually trying to understand the point you were making, and kind of lost it.

My basic point is "Innocent until proven guilty."

When we're talking about things that are either true or false, the burden of proof rests on the side arguing that something is true, while the burden of assumption lies with side arguing that something is false.

For example, we don't assume anything about Sonic's abilities in the games that have not been explicitly shown or stated. So when someone says "Game Sonic can definitely use Power Rings," we automatically assume that person's full of shit because Power Rings have never been shown in the games, much less that Sonic can use them. And because they've never been shown in the games, we assume that they don't exist and by extension Sonic's ability to use them.

Similarly, we should use this same logical basis for canon, and I argue it's especially important to do so for canon because that's a grand-daddy subject; you're talking about the entire history of the series, the final word on what has and has not happened in this universe we've become invested in. For many spin-offs like Sonic Riders, Rivals, the Advance series (as far as I know), there's no actual proof that they're canon by way of being referenced in a proper manner in the main installments: games like the classics, Adventure titles, and modern games that we all universally assume are canon.

Thus, my default position on those games is that they're inconclusive, or for simplicity's sake non-canon. They could have happened, they could not have happened; their existence or lack thereof doesn't affect the story any, and ultimately the lack of proof means we don't know what their status is, so I assume they're non-canon until presented with an argument or word of mouth that convinces me otherwise. This has actually happened before: Verte made sound arguments about the canon status of the Storybook games well before Sonic Generations made that little quip, so I grew to accept them as canon regardless.

We should apply this same rigorous scrutiny for every other game in the series where its canon status is disputed and not assume that, "Well, we don't know that it's false, so obviously it's true!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's an un/popular opinion that must have been mentioned already (and I agree with this one):

I like the green eyes.

On the note of continuity, I think the greatest retcon of all time would be for SEGA to declare every game from Adventure forward a mere dream, and the "real" Sonic wakes up.

SEGA Community Team, you got from now until April Fools to think this through. Make it happen.

Here's an un/popular opinion that must have been mentioned already (and I agree with this one):

I like the green eyes.

On the note of continuity, I think the greatest retcon of all time would be for SEGA to declare every game from Adventure forward a mere dream, and the "real" Sonic wakes up.

SEGA Community Team, you got from now until April Fools to think this through. Make it happen.

That. Would. Be. Epic! Sonic wakes up because of a soda can flung at him by a Robotnik vehicle. He wakes up to find Robotnik having taken over South Island.Robotnik has become SATAM Robotnik. Tails takes Sonic to an urban city place. Robotnik comes and take the city, but Sonic and Tails take princess Blaze with them. Sonic says Blaze reminds him of someone from his,dreams. Robotnik takes over most if the planet and Sonic and co must stop him.

That. Would. Be. Epic! Sonic wakes up because of a soda can flung at him by a Robotnik vehicle. He wakes up to find Robotnik having taken over South Island.Robotnik has become SATAM Robotnik. Tails takes Sonic to an urban city place. Robotnik comes and take the city, but Sonic and Tails take princess Blaze with them. Sonic says Blaze reminds him of someone from his,dreams. Robotnik takes over most if the planet and Sonic and co must stop him.

>implying SEGA would use fanon

>implying the western canon will be revived