Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I don't mind Super Sonic or his role in general. I just wish he wasn't the end-game reward for doing everything, especially since most of the time the Emeralds are collected in the story. It makes no sense to me to complete every challenge the game has to offer just to give me the ever-archaic and boring "Broken" mode, when I've already gotten to a point in the gameplay long before then that has already prompted me to use him! Save Super Sonic as a reward for beating the final boss, and leave more interesting surprises for the end, like new levels or areas to actually play.

This, in addition, I'd like to see a Super Sonic boss that's a bit more difficult and requires a bit more strategy to defeat.  To say that Perfect Chaos was disappointingly easy would be an understatement.  The Final Hazard is a step in the right direction, but it's still a tad too easy, we've already gone on rants about how Metal Overlord just sits there and waits for you to attack him, and the same can be said about Devil Doom, and the list goes on.  I mean, Super Sonic was exciting the first few times, but the lack of a challenging boss for him is sort of vexing.

The Advance games and Sonic Rush seem to be the only games that have it right.  The final boss can be downright frustrating in those games, but at least they're a bit more challenging and require a bit more effort than just running up to the boss and popping a zit.

On that note, however, I was actually disappointed that you couldn't use Super Sonic on any boss in Colors.  I mean, come on, if you're going to give us what is essentially an instant S-rank mechanism, then at least let us have fun beating the bosses ridiculously easily.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular opinion: I really enjoyed the Werehog stages in Sonic Unleashed, it was more of a change of pace compared to the past Sonic Games. Those games you would be doing the normal speedy and platforming gameplay, but with the werehog, you are introduced to a beat'em up style of gameplay which I actually enjoyed, but wasn't much of a fan to the length of the levels.

• Thumbs Up 8

Unpopular opinion: I really enjoyed the Werehog stages in Sonic Unleashed, it was more of a change of pace compared to the past Sonic Games. Those games you would be doing the normal speedy and platforming gameplay, but with the werehog, you are introduced to a beat'em up style of gameplay which I actually enjoyed, but wasn't much of a fan to the length of the levels.

So I'm not alone in that regard.  I love the Werehog stages.  What I didn't like was the length and frequency of the levels.  If they had balanced them out a bit better, then Unleashed probably would have been received at least a little bit better.  I can accept a new and different gimmick every game, but when they force the gimmick upon you as though that was the primary selling point or the only reason we'd ever want to play, then it becomes so grating.

Edited by Akito

I enjoyed them as well once my werehog began to become stronger. I had a lot of fun with executing devastating combos on enemies, which was a nice change of pace from the daytime stages. Exploration was a joy as well when you felt accomplished for discovering sun and moon medals. Unlocking music tracks, concept art, and cutscenes were sweet as well. I enjoy daytime stages more, but they aren't perfect( falling in bottomless pits when going too fast.) My only problem was the tightrope walking sections, especially on skyscraper scamper and eggmanland, along with the battle music that plays far too often for its own good.

Edited by Knightofthewind417

I actually enjoyed the Werehog more than the actual stages. Though it has its dickish moments, there's less fake difficulty than there is in the Day Stages.

Honestly, I found that the problem IMHO was that it wasn't the Werehog that was too slow, but that the Modern Sonic gameplay was too fast by comparison. If the speed had been dialed back more, I think the actual speed of the Werehog would not have been as big of a point of criticism as it ended up being. Now the level design is a different issue...

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

I thought the Werehog was the best part of Unleashed to be perfectly honest. I love experimenting with combos on enemies and I find the platforming to be really fun. The level designs are good, the music is some of my favorite in the game and I just get great enjoyment out of going through the Night levels.

• Thumbs Up 2

I prefer Super Sonic when he actually plays like a souped up Sonic rather than a whole new gameplay mode. Final Hazard, Metal Overlord (sort of), Devil Doom, Perfect Dark Gaia, Time Eater, all of the Advances hell even Doomsday Zone throw a new gameplay mode at you and you're just kind of expected to know what to do.

I think the final boss of a game should be the ultimate test of the skills you learnt over the course of the game, not something new completely for the sake of a cinematic final fight. Just because Super Sonic is invincible and faster than Sonic doesnt mean he needs to play radically different.

• Thumbs Up 5

You'd think the fact that he's essentially a super powered Sonic he'd play as such, but nope.

They really need to give the Super forms a break, at this point it's become a cliche and just seem to throw it in for the sake of a cinematic fight.

• Thumbs Up 3

Metal Overlord pretty much DOES play as a souped up Team Sonic. The controls and abilities are almost exactly the same.

I'm sick of the Super fights too though. Just make Super more like in Colours only usable in bosses. I fucking loved using him in Colours. Generations kind of nerfed both Super Sonics really badly.

Unpopular opinion: Apart from not having to hunt for air bubbles, Hyper Sonic is pointless and really doesn't need to be used again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That's actually a fairly popular opinion around here. And I agree with them - even though I like how game breaking he is, using him outside of S3&K would only cheapen Super Sonic, especially when they can just give Hyper Sonic's abilities to Super Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree. He was helluva fun in S3&K, but otherwise he's only used for bad Not-DBZ Sonic fanfiction.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's actually a fairly popular opinion around here. And I agree with them - even though I like how game breaking he is, using him outside of S3&K would only cheapen Super Sonic, especially when they can just give Hyper Sonic's abilities to Super Sonic.

Oh, really? I thought it'd be a bit more unpopular! Most fans I've talked to really like using Hyper, and I've even heard him being demanded to be brought back, so I was kind of expecting that here. His game-breaking abilities are awesome, but... when you look at him as an actual abilities for Sonic, he's just a seizure waiting to happen. 

Super Sonic not needing air bubbles? Ohhh yes please. 

I agree. He was helluva fun in S3&K, but otherwise he's only used for bad Not-DBZ Sonic fanfiction.

Actually? I was gonna say that in my first post. The idea of Hyper Sonic as a form just makes the entire idea of the Chaos Emeralds -- heck, even the entire series maybe -- seem like some stupid Dragon Balls rip off. And the series is already accused of that as is. 

Another opinion: Roger Craig's my favorite Sonic. I feel like he's the one to capture who Sonic is in his entirety, and to show more emotion in him than every other voice actor thus far. 

It may seem kind of 'bleh' at times, but I think he gets better and better with every game. The Transformed clips were amazing! So just wait; he'll surprise us somewhere down the road!

I disagree with the opinion that the Sonic fanbase doesn't allow people to have opinions other than their own...

Edited by TailsChannel
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good news: Super Sonic CAN breath underwater in one game.

Bad news: that game is Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 3

I disagree with the opinion that the Sonic fanbase doesn't allow people to have opinions other than their own...

I agree! ... About you disagreeing. Huh. 

Good news: Super Sonic CAN breath underwater in one game.

Bad news: that game is Sonic 4.

I actually... like Sonic 4! Is this in both Episode 1 and 2, or? Because there's no way I'm gonna complete Episode 1. The final boss is cheap and I HATE Sonic 1's special stages. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's in both episodes. I just felt like counting the two as one game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree! ... About you disagreeing. Huh.

I disagree about you agreeing to my disagreement. Edited by TailsChannel

I disagree about you agreeing to my disagreement.

I'm confused...

Oh, really? I thought it'd be a bit more unpopular! Most fans I've talked to really like using Hyper, and I've even heard him being demanded to be brought back, so I was kind of expecting that here. His game-breaking abilities are awesome, but... when you look at him as an actual abilities for Sonic, he's just a seizure waiting to happen. 

Actually? I was gonna say that in my first post. The idea of Hyper Sonic as a form just makes the entire idea of the Chaos Emeralds -- heck, even the entire series maybe -- seem like some stupid Dragon Balls rip off. And the series is already accused of that as is. 

Another opinion: Roger Craig's my favorite Sonic. I feel like he's the one to capture who Sonic is in his entirety, and to show more emotion in him than every other voice actor thus far. 

It may seem kind of 'bleh' at times, but I think he gets better and better with every game. The Transformed clips were amazing! So just wait; he'll surprise us somewhere down the road!

Most of the Transformed clips were taken from Colors and Gens, though.

EDIT:

I HATE Sonic 1's special stages. 

The S1 Special Stages are actually probably my favorite, and I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as people say they are.

Edited by Big McLargehuge

Not all of them -- a good chunk of them were, but a good chunk weren't. I can't place any of the ones with actual words at the moment -- I think the prolonged 'YES!' was one -- but I'm pretty sure there was some new ones in there.

Even if there isn't, the lines in Colors and Gens were great, too. Hey, least it isn't CHECK OUT THE CONSOLES 

WHOOAAAAAA.

The ironic part being that most people who say this refuse to allow you to have any opinion on the Sonic fanbase aside from whiny, intolerant douchebags, so they're intolerant towards the opinion that Sonic fans are anything but intolerant and... you know what?  People are weird.

• Thumbs Up 1